Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Marcusm wrote: »
    There is no provision in Irish VAT law to treat a post Brexit importation in the manner you describe. Once the U.K. is outside the Union, absent at relieving provisions, VAT will become payable.

assuming "no deal" but otherwise quite correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭limerickpat

Great informative thread everyone. I am thinking of buying on sunday, does anyone know would the revolut transfer still be near instant on a sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Isambard wrote: »
    assuming "no deal" but otherwise quite correct.

There are only very limited “deal” scenarios where the U.K. would remain in a VAT Union with the EU. Customs duties are a different matter. VAT is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭deezell

Great informative thread everyone. I am thinking of buying on sunday, does anyone know would the revolut transfer still be near instant on a sunday?
    Should be, if you just do a debit card transaction it is, if the dealer is ok with that. Transfer takes a few minutes, but is all electronic, revolut are to the fore in seamless electronic transfer.
    The problem with transfer on a Sunday is not your confirmation that it has gone through, but the dealer's ability to confirm his end. We postponed a Sunday visit when a dealer said he would not have his accounts staff there on Sunday to look up the transfer, couldn't do it himself, so we travelled Monday. Ask him can you pay by debit card. Instant and verified and secure, and "essentially no limit" to quote the revolut help desk live agent whom I contacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭pjq

Revolut exchange rate is not as good on weekends, read their T&Cs, you might convert to GBP on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Revolut charge a higher exchange rate at weekends to cover themselves as the markets are closed. Exchange the euro amount to sterling on your card before the weekend and you will get an exchange rate that's closer to the interbank rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr Devious

Trying to send money to currency fair but unable to as I need a card reader to use the service with AIB, any way around that, can’t wait several days for card reader to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Regarding getting RAC or AA assessments or surveys done - can that be pre-arranged online (web site?) or is there a better crowd that do them in the UK?

what kind of money should i be budgeting for a through check?

U
    Dr Devious wrote: »
    Trying to send money to currency fair but unable to as I need a card reader to use the service with AIB, any way around that, can’t wait several days for card reader to arrive.
    Go down to aib bank and transfer. Card reader online transfer has €10k limit per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭limerickpat

Thanks for the advice everyone, Ill make it a weekday and tranfer when rate is good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

dc99 wrote: »
    Regarding getting RAC or AA assessments or surveys done - can that be pre-arranged online (web site?) or is there a better crowd that do them in the UK?

what kind of money should i be budgeting for a through check?

I got mine done with the RAC. I filled out a form on their website and they rang me to arrange the inspection. I got the comprehensive one and it cost £215 as far as I remember. They were very thorough, I’d recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    I got mine done with the RAC. I filled out a form on their website and they rang me to arrange the inspection. I got the comprehensive one and it cost £215 as far as I remember. They were very thorough, I’d recommend them.

Not cheap, but probably worth it.

Is it completed at the vendor? Or taken away? Like is a car lift required (I would presume so?)

Would it also be possible to get it done prior to yourself viewing it.

Lastly, is there any come back if the car breaks down soon after purchase on a checked item....

All the question - sorry, best do some more research online :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Is it completed at the vendor? Or taken away? Like is a car lift required (I would presume so?)

Lastly, is there any come back if the car breaks down soon after purchase on a checked item....

Dekra or AA or RAC (research and word of mouth puts Dekra as the better one). I am using RAC as Dekra (and AA) doesn't cover the area that the car I am looking at is. I just rang them and they talked me through it (even ringing the seller while on the call to tell me the date on when they will do the inspection). You will need the Seller postcode and telephone number on hand while doing the booking. It is done at the seller place. My seller doesn't have a car lift and that has not been an issue. Can be done at anytime.

"Lastly, is there any come back if the car breaks down soon after purchase on a checked item...." - no, no come back. It only holds good for the day its done.

Hi Folks - VRT states that a Invoice is one of the required items. What happens if a car is bought from a private seller? Any experiences?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I had a RAC inspection done before on a BMW 3 series that I brought in a few years ago. I'm hoping to bring in a VW for my wife shortly (budget about 10k) and will be doing it again.

The inspection report is about 10 pages long. I paid for a comprehensive one and the inspector rang me afterwards. We chatted for about 30 minutes! He drove the car for 10 miles and comprehensively checked it out. I asked him if he would be happy to buy the vehicle himself and he said yes.

I had rang the garage to check if they had any problem with an inspection. They said they had no problem so I put down a small refundable deposit and the inspection was carried out before I booked travel to the UK just in case.

If a garage wont allow an inspection (same as a test drive), I will not deal with them. there are loads of cars out there!

The report was good so I booked travel and brought the car home.

The report will likely cost less than your travel. It is a no-brainer as far as I am concerned unless you are buying a car from a dealer that is still under manufacturer's warranty that will transfer over here.

Good luck with your purchase!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Debub wrote: »
    Hi Folks - VRT states that a Invoice is one of the required items. What happens if a car is bought from a private seller? Any experiences?

thanks

Handwritten or typed up invoice from private seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

michellie wrote: »
    Handwritten or typed up invoice from private seller.

yes, you cant just make your own one up when you get home :o

thanks michellie and copeyhagen... is there any mandatory details that I need to put in?
    I am putting my name and address and the sellers name and address with a dated signature and details of the car.
    Does it have to have the amount on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

thanks michellie and copeyhagen... is there any mandatory details that I need to put in?
    I am putting my name and address and the sellers name and address with a dated signature and details of the car.
    Does it have to have the amount on it?

Yea throw the amount on it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

In relation to the Revolut card, is it better to load up the card with euro's when buying in the UK as opposed to exchanging the euro into sterling and paying a fee (payment over €6000). I'm assuming you get the same interbank exchange rate less the fees?

• Advertisement

talkabout wrote: »
    In relation to the Revolut card, is it better to load up the card with euro's when buying in the UK as opposed to exchanging the euro into sterling and paying a fee (payment over €6000). I'm assuming you get the same interbank exchange rate less the fees?

You'll still pay the fees, you get €6000 A month fee free. I would be exchanging right now, it's hovering up and down, but even today there was €40 increase on a £14000 exchange from morning to evening. Check out the below, proof, if it was needed, to avoid local banks. €440 in the difference between TSB and Revolut, and that's with €46 revolut fees on some of the exchange
    488161.jpg
    488162.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Dekra or AA or RAC (research and word of mouth puts Dekra as the better one). I am using RAC as Dekra (and AA) doesn't cover the area that the car I am looking at is. I just rang them and they talked me through it (even ringing the seller while on the call to tell me the date on when they will do the inspection). You will need the Seller postcode and telephone number on hand while doing the booking. It is done at the seller place. My seller doesn't have a car lift and that has not been an issue. Can be done at anytime.

"Lastly, is there any come back if the car breaks down soon after purchase on a checked item...." - no, no come back. It only holds good for the day its done.

PGE1970 wrote: »
    The inspection report is about 10 pages long. I paid for a comprehensive one and the inspector rang me afterwards. We chatted for about 30 minutes! He drove the car for 10 miles and comprehensively checked it out. I asked him if he would be happy to buy the vehicle himself and he said yes.

I had rang the garage to check if they had any problem with an inspection. They said they had no problem so I put down a small refundable deposit and the inspection was carried out before I booked travel to the UK just in case.

If a garage wont allow an inspection (same as a test drive), I will not deal with them. there are loads of cars out there!

The report was good so I booked travel and brought the car home.

The report will likely cost less than your travel. It is a no-brainer as far as I am concerned unless you are buying a car from a dealer that is still under manufacturer's warranty that will transfer over here.

Good luck with your purchase!!

All of this. I definitely wouldn’t have gone ahead without having an inspection done, especially as you can’t just pop in and have a look yourself (not that it would matter to me if I could, I know very little about cars :o). Mine also included an oil check which I think cost a little extra but they said it would be able to tell if the head gasket was likely to fail or not from the results so I decided for that peace of mind it was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

deezell wrote: »
    You'll still pay the fees, you get €6000 A month fee free. I would be exchanging right now, it's hovering up and down, but even today there was €40 increase on a £14000 exchange from morning to evening. Check out the below, proof, if it was needed, to avoid local banks. €440 in the difference between TSB and Revolut, and that's with €46 revolut fees on some of the exchange
    488161.jpg
    488162.jpg

Thanks, very helpful

Have the vrt inspection next week, slightly confused about the payment, it’s says you have 30 days to pay it. Is that 30 days from when the inspection is done or has it to paid at the time of the inspection?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Dr Devious wrote: »
    Have the vrt inspection next week, slightly confused about the payment, it’s says you have 30 days to pay it. Is that 30 days from when the inspection is done or has it to paid at the time of the inspection?

30 days from the date of import

Excuse my stupidly but the car was imported today, nct vrt inspection next week, I’ll get a reg no and can fire ahead get a plate fitted and I don’t need to pay until 30 days from today. Correct?

No,
    "Vehicle Registration Tax
    (payable on enquiry)"
    Note this line on the VRT site when you work out what you owe.

You can postpone your VRT appointment up to the 30 without penalty, provided you defer at least 5 days before, otherwise there's a fee of €23 or thereabouts to cancel and rearrange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Is the six month rule applied from the date of original registration to the date of purchase or to the date of the vrt inspection?

• Advertisement

Date of import

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement