Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Apologies in advance if these questions have been asked previously but how long does it take for funds to transfer from a Bank of Ireland a/c into Revolut, and from Revolut into a UK a/c?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭deezell

Apologies in advance if these questions have been asked previously but how long does it take for funds to transfer from a Bank of Ireland a/c into Revolut, and from Revolut into a UK a/c?
    If you are using your nominated debit card top up, it's instant. If you are doing an online transfer to your Revolut a/c. no. and sort code, or IBAN, it's fairly rapid also.
    When paying, Revolut is instant for a card payment, and card is limited only to what you have, no low transaction limit. If dealer requests a transfer to his account, it's only minutes, as its UK to UK. You'll get an email when it hits dealer account. at which point he can check it's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

I'm going over myself to a Lexus main dealer this week so just testing a few scenarios now. Topped up from my AIB to Revolut using the Debit card (5K) and that worked instantly. Going to add more today and tomorrow. (Not sure how long it'd take with IBAN transfer just yet.)

Also ran did a test with £5 transfer with Revolut -> UK account (as a family member has a UK account.)

Executed IBAN transfer on Revolut and got a confirmation email 4 minutes later that the transaction complete. Hoping it's the same for larger amounts.

re: anyone who has used Revolut, did they ever get notice of a 'source of funds' request? I haven't yet but wondering if that's something that could potentially delay..

Also - if anyone has dealt with a main dealer, would you bring x amount on the account and a portion in Sterling cash?

Currently negotiating back and forth with the dealer on price.

Exciting times. Fearing the VRT calculator too..seeing a range from €700 ~ €1800 depending on the slight variation I make on the VRT Calculator, but that's a problem for once the car is home..

It's the same. Done two for £14K this summer, first was transfer at dealers request, 4-5 minutes for two emails, transfer submitted then transfer complete. Second car the dealer just popped the card in his machine. Instant.
    First big transfer to your Revolut you make you will get that money laundering notice, you might have to send a copy of pay slip and bank statement, but after a while you might just get an account verified email anyway. I was scurrying around looking to download statements and income records as these are all paperless these days, when I got an email saying account verified.
    What ' slight variation' are you making that's more than doubling VRT? Have you the right engine data? Right emissions on the VRT quote? Run the UK reg on the UK DVLA site to get critical info like CO2 and month of reg.

deezell wrote: »
    It's the same. Done two for £14K this summer, first was transfer at dealers request, 4-5 minutes for two emails, transfer submitted then transfer complete. Second car the dealer just popped the card in his machine. Instant.
    First big transfer to your Revolut you make you will get that money laundering notice, you might have to send a copy of pay slip and bank statement, but after a while you might just get an account verified email anyway. I was scurrying around looking to download statements and income records as these are all paperless these days, when I got an email saying account verified.
    What ' slight variation' are you making that's more than doubling VRT? Have you the right engine data? Right emissions on the VRT quote? Run the UK reg on the UK DVLA site to get critical info like CO2 and month of reg.

It's a Lexus Ct200h F sport - pretty sure they've all the exact same engine.

Z7DtiY2.png

But different result depending on which of the entries I hit. (granted the one highlighted Sport is the cheapest but it's not the same as an f sport
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I imported a car yesterday for a main dealer in the North. All went well with the transaction however I dont have a Certificate of Conformity for the car, so am falling at the first hurdle when trying to register the car. I'm finding the guidance on Revenue etc unclear. Does the Cert need to come from the manufacturer? I can see various third party providers online too. Are they legitimate?

I imported a car yesterday for a main dealer in the North. All went well with the transaction however I dont have a Certificate of Conformity for the car, so am falling at the first hurdle when trying to register the car. I'm finding the guidance on Revenue etc unclear. Does the Cert need to come from the manufacturer? I can see various third party providers online too. Are they legitimate?
    You only need this if you are importing used from outside the EU, or a non standard or custom vehicle, as any normal car sold in EU will have CoC. It's often in the user handbook if you want to see it, as it's common to all instances of a particular model once obtained. I think the V5C is effectively it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You don't need it with a used car that was already registered in the EU. All the information they need will be on the car's V5C registration document.

Btw, when VRTing the other half's import yesterday, a few tips, if the reg owner is not present. You need a signed note from them to let you reg it. You need 2 Id's for them, driving licence, utility bills or bank statement. Car insurance documents are not accepted, and in a lot of households utility bills are in the man's name. You need their pps no, and proof of same. Tricky if they don't have a ps card, but an old printed p60 will do. If the dealer invoice is in your name, you must fill your details, pps no. etc. in the middle section of the VRT form, but the reg owners at the bottom, signed and dated. Finally, set your mileometer to display in Km, most recent cars can do this. You don't want a lower figure miles reading being entered as Km, as you might lose out on milage adjustment to the VRT. If they err the other way, no harm done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Car VRT'd on saturday but won't be driving it for another 3 days. My insurance said to wait for the irish reg to appear on their system before buying insurance as the premium will be lower. ANyone know how long that takes? Would it be the same time it takes for my new reg to start working on sites such as motor check?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Liamo_mu wrote: »
    Car VRT'd on saturday but won't be driving it for another 3 days. My insurance said to wait for the irish reg to appear on their system before buying insurance as the premium will be lower. ANyone know how long that takes? Would it be the same time it takes for my new reg to start working on sites such as motor check?

How did you take it to NCTS without insurance? The insurance company is not helping you out; no reason why they cannot I sure it on U.K. reg pending issuance of the Irish one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Marcusm wrote: »
    How did you take it to NCTS without insurance? The insurance company is not helping you out; no reason why they cannot I sure it on U.K. reg pending issuance of the Irish one.

Car was imported by a garage so they VRTd it on Saturday but I'm not picking it up till Tuesday or Wednesday. My insurance company says if they insure it when it's still under and English reg I pay a higher rate.

Also it has a valid MOT for another month so was under the impression I wouldn't need to get an NCT until that is up?

Liamo_mu wrote: »
    Marcusm wrote: »

Car was imported by a garage so they VRTd it on Saturday but I'm not picking it up till Tuesday or Wednesday. My insurance company says if they insure it when it's still under and English reg I pay a higher rate.

Also it has a valid MOT for another month so was under the impression I wouldn't need to get an NCT until that is up?
    Car will appear on the register next working day after NCT. You should be able to enter it's new reg and PIN (last six digits of the Vin no) on the motortax.ie site tomorrow, and Insurance should also be able to call up its details, so you should be on the road by Wednesday.
    As for NCT, that's required 4 years after date of first (UK) registration, so if its an August 2015 reg or older, you might need an NCT straight away, depends on Insurance company, usually it's only 10 year old cars they are strict on. They will give you a few weeks to get this, but the garage ought to sort it as part of sale. They might get a cancellation at a nearby NCT depot before Wednesday, or prepay for one that you can take it to yourself within the grace period.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Conchy

Buying a car from a garage and they gave me details of thier bank info. On revolut all I have to do is just pick United Kingdom and British Pound as the currency.

Put in their company name, account number and sort code.

I thought I would need to enter IBAN and BIC? First time doing this so I don't have a clue what to expect.

(garage is in Northern Ireland)

G
    Conchy wrote: »
    Buying a car from a garage and they gave me details of thier bank info. On revolut all I have to do is just pick United Kingdom and British Pound as the currency.

Put in their company name, account number and sort code.

I thought I would need to enter IBAN and BIC? First time doing this so I don't have a clue what to expect.
    That's the beauty of Revolut. Your account is a UK account no. and sort code, so a Sterling transfer is UK to UK, fast and direct. IBAN/BIC is all about international transfers. That's why if you use AIB or BOI you have all that palaver, sh1te exchange rate and you have to pay to speed it up to hours instead of days. Revolut is done in minutes, I even got notified it was a Turbo transfer though I hadn't paid a fast fee. Like I say, it's an internal UK to UK bank transfer.

Made a transfer to my Revolut a/c from BOI on Sunday but it hasn't appeared yet. Should I be worried or is the delay because of the Bank Holiday in the UK?

More likly BOI because it's the weekend. I made a small online transfer from TSB to AIB, late next day before it appeared. Just not good enough in the digital age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

BOI are the worst for transfers, you'll probably get it tuesday or wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

deezell wrote: »
    Yes, but this is about my answer that the date of reckoning for the under 6 month old VAT liability (nothing to do with VRT and notwithstanding the milage) was taken as the day of Import. i.e. a car registered new on 1st Jan is not six months old if imported on the 30th June, and will attract VAT. Bring it in the next day or after and it won't. The VRT appointment day doesn't matter, as you can delay that without penalty for 30 days, longer at the rate of 0.1% of VRT per day.
    Now I was contradicted twice. First by ELM327, but his example was at the classic car end of the scale, and I explained his odd outcome to him. I was contradicted again by michellie (who has a lot of experience), who claimed the 6 months counted from new UK reg day to the VRT appointment day, not the Import day. This produced a possible coronary and expletive laden response from WestWicklow1, which he then retracted. Then Michellie comes back and contradicts his (her?) original statement, and even manages to contradict in the post itself by giving a correct example of under and over 6 months, then saying date of entry doesn't matter? What are you on Michellie? You said I disagreed before with you about this. No I didn't, but I did correct you when you said late VRT penalties were 0.5% per day when they are 0.1%, an error you acknowledged in a PM btw, but not on the boards.
    I'll put my hands up if I make a lazy error, but I'm not listening to vague and Ill defined contradictions of fact. 6 months is 6 months. To avoid 23% VAT, DONT bring a car in until it is 6 months or more old. You won't get a VRT appointment for weeks after the date of entry, and it would be nonsense if you could bring in say a 4 month old car and stall the VRT appointment for over two months at a penalty of about 3% of VRT, to avoid paying 23% VAT on the full OMSP of the car. I don't claim to have huge experience in importing, just 3 in the last 2 years, but I do my research, and generally engage my brain before releasing my mouth. FFS.

Apologies Deezell, maybe it was someone else I was having the exact same conversation with, I cannot view my previous posts for some reason(what's the story with that boards?) anyway, I am correct, I am not contradicting myself. Once a car is 6 months old no VAT is due, regardless of date of import. I wont keep going back and forth with you. I have 10 years experience in Vrt.

michellie wrote: »
    Apologies Deezell, maybe it was someone else I was having the exact same conversation with, I cannot view my previous posts for some reason(what's the story with that boards?) anyway, I am correct, I am not contradicting myself. Once a car is 6 months old no VAT is due, regardless of date of import. I wont keep going back and forth with you. I have 10 years experience in Vrt.

If its under the milage threshold there is VAT due

• Advertisement

gwalk wrote: »
    If its under the milage threshold there is VAT due

I know that, we are talking about the age of the vehicle from a previous conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

michellie wrote: »

Some posters on here michellie have imported 1 or 2 cars and are suddenly experts in all aspects of importing a car.
    It's great to have someone that works in VRT on the likes of this thread that knows what the are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Quick question on mileage.

I'm looking at a 7 month old car up North, the Mileage is 3K (4,200km). By the time I get it down South and to a VRT centre it'll be over the 6K km mark.

But do the VRT officials go by the odometer or the paper work on the date of purchase?

Thanks

Steven

Valhallapt wrote: »

I'm looking at a 7 month old car up North, the Mileage is 3K (4,200km). By the time I get it down South and to a VRT centre it'll be over the 6K km mark.

But do the VRT officials go by the odometer or the paper work on the date of purchase?

Thanks

Steven

are you going the long way round to put 1,800 kms on it?

Valhallapt wrote: »

Thanks

Steven

Hi Steven, it's the mileage on the date of the vrt inspection. Once its 7 months old and the mileage is over 6000kms at your appointment there is no VAT due

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

gwalk wrote: »
    are you going the long way round to put 1,800 kms on it?

If I need to ;-)

Quick question for the Ferry regulars - flying to Glasgow tomorrow night to bring a car home Wednesday. Deposit down already and assuming all goes well, hoping to take away same day. From what I can see Cairnryan is about 90 mins / 2 hrs outside Glasgow.

Trying to decide what Ferry time would be best...

Do you have much luck booking them on the day or would you want to do it in advance of going over?

Would love option of taking an earlier ferry on the day depending on whether the car is ready to drive off once all business is done or if there's anything else that'll need doing.

(edit: might just play it safe and get a flexi fare with stena and can hop on an earlier one if all goes well!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Shlippery wrote: »
    Quick question for the Ferry regulars - flying to Glasgow tomorrow night to bring a car home Wednesday. Deposit down already and assuming all goes well, hoping to take away same day. From what I can see Cairnryan is about 90 mins / 2 hrs outside Glasgow.

Trying to decide what Ferry time would be best...

Do you have much luck booking them on the day or would you want to do it in advance of going over?

Would love option of taking an earlier ferry on the day depending on whether the car is ready to drive off once all business is done or if there's anything else that'll need doing.

(edit: might just play it safe and get a flexi fare with stena and can hop on an earlier one if all goes well!)

I'm travelling tomorrow and I've booked the earlier ferry with flexi just in case

Coming back through Holyhead on Sunday morning for the 8:55am ferry. How long do I need to be there before that? Probably staring me in the face but I can't see a boarding time on my ticket. I can see a "boarding closes 30mins before sailing time" message, but no commencement time per se. Any thoughts?

• Advertisement

Coming back through Holyhead on Sunday morning for the 8:55am ferry. How long do I need to be there before that? Probably staring me in the face but I can't see a boarding time on my ticket. I can see a "boarding closes 30mins before sailing time" message, but no commencement time per se. Any thoughts?
    Well the 8.55am arrives from Dublin at 5.45, so it would be 6.45 to 7.00 before it's ready to board. Arrive between 7.00 and 8.25? Pull into Macs and have a McBreakfast.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement