Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

deezell wrote: »
    Well the 8.55am arrives from Dublin at 5.45, so it would be 6.45 to 7.00 before it's ready to board. Arrive between 7.00 and 8.25? Pull into Macs and have a McBreakfast.

Thanks!

I'll pass on the McBreakfast though!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭jlow1

Bought a car today from an auction house over in UK. When I last did this 12 months ago I just rang up DVLA and got permanent export cert. Now I am told this is no longer possible.
    Anybody recently had to deal with this and if so what was the process?
    Can PM if you wish, thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

jlow1 wrote: »
    Bought a car today from an auction house over in UK. When I last did this 12 months ago I just rang up DVLA and got permanent export cert. Now I am told this is no longer possible.
    Anybody recently had to deal with this and if so what was the process?
    Can PM if you wish, thanks in advance.

If you bought from BCA auctions the will give you the V5c on the day you pay for it if you have an Irish address the just stamp it for export.You don't need a permanent export cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

I have just posted v62 with 25stg postal order and ni address ..fingers crossed ..It used to be easy ,just ask Swansea for an export cert ...has anyone tried to import without any paperwork??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

11wingnut wrote: »
    ..has anyone tried to import without any paperwork??

Many have. And they have failed :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Brenty

anyome hear anythjng like the following....may be a rumour? Was hoping to go over early October

My buddy was talking to some fella he knows who imports cars from the UK, rumours the government might stick something in place before brexit on importing cars from the UK...Dail sits again in September my old fella is going over soon Incase it does happen and getting one...Instead of VRT it might be you hav to play VAT and an import duty so end up costing a lot more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Great day today, met Lexus dealer, royal treatment, Car MOT'd, tax'd, full tank, lil Lexus gift or two, some high quality Lexus water and treats. Revolut bank transfer took couple of mins. Made Ferry in good time. All round straight forward experience.

Trying to lock in VRT appointment now, but can't get anything at all within the '7' days of import window. (well, without leaving Dublin.) Potentially mad busy with October looming or else NCT booking system being a bit unpredictable.

Also, again, couldn't find it with a quick search - but with the plates - how do they determine which county to register the car from? I live in Dub, but from Galway originally. What would I need to swing to get a G reg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Shlippery wrote: »
    Great day today, met Lexus dealer, royal treatment, Car MOT'd, tax'd, full tank, lil Lexus gift or two, some high quality Lexus water and treats. Revolut bank transfer took couple of mins. Made Ferry in good time. All round straight forward experience.

Trying to lock in VRT appointment now, but can't get anything at all within the '7' days of import window. (well, without leaving Dublin.) Potentially mad busy with October looming or else NCT booking system being a bit unpredictable.

Also, again, couldn't find it with a quick search - but with the plates - how do they determine which county to register the car from? I live in Dub, but from Galway originally. What would I need to swing to get a G reg?

You get the letter of whatever county the center is in. But I'm sure they won't shoot you for asking.

Has anyone else found that they get an "undesirable" reg number when importing? I imported a 1 year old car last year but the new reg was X-X-2008. Making my 1 year old car look 10 years old! I felt as though imported cars get all the undesirable numbers that the dealers won't use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Brenty wrote: »
    anyome hear anythjng like the following....may be a rumour? Was hoping to go over early October

My buddy was talking to some fella he knows who imports cars from the UK, rumours the government might stick something in place before brexit on importing cars from the UK...Dail sits again in September my old fella is going over soon Incase it does happen and getting one...Instead of VRT it might be you hav to play VAT and an import duty so end up costing a lot more

I've no doubt SIMI are doing some heavy lobbying right now.... but I think the current set up is locked in, unless an emergency Brexit budget is called for

bfa1509 wrote: »
    You get the letter of whatever county the center is in. But I'm sure they won't shoot you for asking.

Has anyone else found that they get an "undesirable" reg number when importing? I imported a 1 year old car last year but the new reg was X-X-2008. Making my 1 year old car look 10 years old! I felt as though imported cars get all the undesirable numbers that the dealers won't use.

Will check on the first one.

The reg on importing though is down to the last registered number for that year..it goes up incrementally. I can likely predict mine based on whatever count it goes...

Picking these two cars at random..
    https://www.motorcheck.ie/free-car-check/?vrm=152D23000 <- Irish Car
    https://www.motorcheck.ie/free-car-check/?vrm=152D24000 <- UK Car
    (and any car after 24000 is likely to be a UK Import)

https://www.motorcheck.ie/free-car-check/?vrm=152D29500 <- ~ near the end of the 152's! :P it's just luck on the day and there's a bigger amount of Dub reg's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 7 day rule means you have to make the appointment within 7 days of importing but the appointment date itself doesn't have to be within 7 days.

And the car will be registered to the county of the address you provide them as proof of where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Brenty wrote: »

VAT plus import duty in addition to VRT is the default position for a non-EU member state which is what the U.K. would become if it exited without a transition deal. I cannot see any appetite at DoF for additional changes in advance if then. There are few avenues available in any event; EU rules would preclude VAT/import duties in an intra EU acquisition except for new means of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You have to make the appointment within 7 days and complete the process (generally by having the check) within 30 days. Ref is by reference to your address. I went to Arklow and Enniscorthy. Sure you have the car to drive it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Wow thats really nice of them! What model did you buy?

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Not any more.

You get the county on your proof of address.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Wow thats really nice of them! What model did you buy?

2015 ct200h F-Sport, little hatchback, but lots of comfort to make the m50 more bearable.

Huge difference from when I imported my last car from Cargiant in 2017. - All in one day, tried to upsell everything, manic cross-country trip to the Holyhead Ferry

Compared to..the Lexus Dealer, tons of personal videos of the car (and other cars i'd considered) in advance, bit of negotiating on price, unreal service on the day and the comfort of cruising along to the Ferry without any panic.

Would strongly recommend Lexus Glasgow to anyone wanting a pre-Brexit car with regards to proximity to ferry and short drives. Hopefully the VRT is kind to me :D

The reg goes by the proof of address that you provide, doesn't matter what centre you're in.

And it's the next available reg number, luck of the draw. Doesn't matter if you're a private individual or TAN holder.

*** Anyone thinking of importing in the next few weeks make sure you book your appointment, it will be very busy in the lead up to the brexit deadline ***

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

michellie wrote: »
    *** Anyone thinking of importing in the next few weeks make sure you book your appointment, it will be very busy in the lead up to the brexit deadline ***

Yeah agree would book as soon as you have reg. First appointment could get was 11th September in kells when booking yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Just got a RF100 form from the tax office. It says I need to fill out and go to local tax office.

I was under the impression all the tax forms could be done online now. Is this not the case?

• Advertisement

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Yeah agree would book as soon as you have reg. First appointment could get was 11th September in kells when booking yesterday.

Yep, and especially to allow time if it's a newer high end vehicle or vehicle that is not on the system as revenues backlog for valuations will be quite long ( happened during the last brexit deadline)

Liamo_mu wrote: »
    Just got a RF100 form from the tax office. It says I need to fill out and go to local tax office.

I was under the impression all the tax forms could be done online now. Is this not the case?

Yes, its wrote on the bottom of the registration receipt you got (provided it's not a commercial vehicle)

Yes, its wrote on the bottom of the registration receipt you got (provided it's not a commercial vehicle)

Wrote on the bottom of the registration receipt?

That I can or cannot tax online?

Off to Monaghan I go...Road trip :pac:

Wrote on the bottom of the registration receipt?

That I can or cannot tax online?

You can tax it online, use the last 6 digits of the car's VIN as the PIN for the motortax website. Please note that it can take a day for the registration to be updated on the motor tax system so if you only VRT'd the car today it might be tomorrow before you can tax it online. Also you won't receive the Irish log book until it's first taxed.

bazz26 wrote: »
    You can tax it online, use the last 6 digits of the car's VIN as the PIN for the motortax website. Please note that it can take a day for the registration to be updated on the motor tax system so if you only VRT'd the car today it might be tomorrow before you can tax it online. Also you won't receive the Irish log book until it's first taxed.

Thanks. Do you know if I am ok to drive the car once taxed online? Or do I need to wait for the disc and logbook to come in the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭deezell

bazz26 wrote: »

Thanks. Do you know if I am ok to drive the car once taxed online? Or do I need to wait for the disc and logbook to come in the post?
    Drive away. Print the receipt off the webpage, or screen grab it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Fine to drive. Worst that would happen is you'd have 10 days to produce documents but a print out or showing the email on your phone would be fine for most guards.

Once you tax the car online then the logbook will be automatically issued. Usually the tax disc will arrive separately and usually before the logbook. Once the car is taxed online then just keep the receipt if you are questioned at a checkpoint. However if you park on street then you could receive a ticket from a passing traffic warden or Gardai for failure to display a valid tax disc so best avoid that until the disc arrives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭deezell

You can also just leave the UK plates on (for 3 days give or take) until you have the tax disk in your hands, so you can park on the street without worry. Stick a print out of online tax receipt in the window. Only a knob would give you a ticket in this case, as he's just wasting everyone's time cancelling it all later.
    Back in the day, there was a virtual chap called Reginald, and every January there could be hundreds of new cars, untaxed of course, driving around with cardboard plates festooned with the promise, "FOR REG". Lucky guy, and yet another extinct bit of another Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement