Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭deezell

Ok. Done a bit of digging. In the model year 2014 there was a facelift, MY2014, and this model is designated E-CVT on the DVLA emissions finder. Any CT200 upto MY2013 is pre facelift and carries the model designation CVT. Model categories remain the same, F-sport, SE etc. If you have this

489687.jpg

then you have pre facelift. It's possible pre facelift stock was sold in 2015

If your car looks like this

489688.jpg
    then you have facelift, and your V5C should state model E-CVT, as that is the only choice available on the DVLA site for CT-200 from MY2014 on. It's possible if yours is an E-CVT facelift it was mis named on original registration. Revenue here are using the literal name on the VRT database, but that car was not available in 2014, let alone 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

deezell wrote: »
    Ok. Done a bit of digging. In the model year 2014 there was a facelift, MY2014, and this model is designated E-CVT on the DVLA emissions finder. Any CT200 upto MY2013 is pre facelift and carries the model designation CVT. Model categories remain the same, F-sport, SE etc. If you have this

then you have pre facelift. It's possible pre facelift stock was sold in 2015

If your car looks like this

then you have facelift, and your V5C should state model E-CVT, as that is the only choice available on the DVLA site for CT-200 from MY2014 on. It's possible if yours is an E-CVT facelift it was mis named on original registration. Revenue here are using the literal name on the VRT database, but that car was not available in 2014, let alone 2015.

Hey - yea I've the facelift version from bottom pic. Will try appeal and see what happens as it seems a big enough difference for essentially the same engine / car..

Thanks for doing the homework!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

You would have been sick as a parrot if it was €1600 the other way. And you PAID cartell for a figure they plucked out of their arse.
    A warning to all. Use the FREE revenue VRT calculator, and make sure your data is accurate. If in doubt about model spec, ring UK garage and ask for emissions (or use DVLA site free for this and date of reg), and exact model name as recorded on the V5C. This is the only one that counts. There is no point insisting to revenue that your model is an SE say as on the UK ad, when the V5C says Sport plus or something, with an extra 5 grand OMSP.

Revenue figure was €1200 extra than the figure I got today

The cartell vrt calculator quote was free - think I got 5 for free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

BMW 320D M Sport Touring 2017

If it's under 2 years old it goes to revenue for manual valuation. Do not leave it till the end of the 30 days if it's under 2 years old as valuations take longer to complete. (The last brexit deadline there were huge backlogs with revenue)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

michellie wrote: »
    If it's under 2 years old it goes to revenue for manual valuation. Do not leave it till the end of the 30 days if it's under 2 years old as valuations take longer to complete. (The last brexit deadline there were huge backlogs with revenue)

Many thanks ðŸ™

• Advertisement

Shlippery wrote: »
    Hey - yea I've the facelift version from bottom pic. Will try appeal and see what happens as it seems a big enough difference for essentially the same engine / car..

Thanks for doing the homework!

You're welcome. It seems strange there should be such a huge variation in OMSP based on the entry CVT and E-CVT. This is just the gearbox designation, but from Wikipedia, all c200h have E-CVT box. Bottom line, if the OMSP for a 2015 F sport is accurate with reference to current retail prices, your going to have a job convincing them to use the E-CVT entry for your car, but this table from the DVLA emissions site might help, as it shows MY2014 cars onward are all E-CVT. Also, a quick check of 2015 CT200H prices on Carsireland.ie shows prices maybe a €1000 lower than the stat code OMSP they used, (€16737 for a September reg with 60k miles for example), but higher than the stat code OMSP you would like to use. Have a go using the Manufacturing Year argument. MY2014, which is designated E-CVT on thr DVLA site for 2015 cars but not written on your V5C. If you can convince them to use this stat code, happy days.

489706.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24 crazyman79

Can anyone find the New (or old for that matter) Mercedes CLA 200/220 Coupe on the Revenue VRT Calculator? The 180 and the higher end 45AMG are there but nothing in between. If someone could point me in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Mynameistom

7 or 8 grand anyways compared to a base spec one in Ireland.

Couldn't find an F-Sport / top spec one over here with low miles (40k) to compare.

Jesus that's good going....We'll wear

crazyman79 wrote: »
    Can anyone find the New (or old for that matter) Mercedes CLA 200/220 Coupe on the Revenue VRT Calculator? The 180 and the higher end 45AMG are there but nothing in between. If someone could point me in the right direction.

Statistical code 44887726 for CLA 220 cdi, current model.

Statistical code 44887726 for CLA 220 cdi, current model.

Thanks. But I'm looking for the New CLA 220 Petrol AMG Line. It's a 4 door coupe 1991cc. 139g emissions. If it isn't there on calculator can I ask anywhere for a ballpark figure.

• Advertisement

Quick one for ye..

Did the VRT today. Feel like I've overpaid based on the VRT Calc online and considering appealing. Is there much rate of success?

It's a Lexus CT200h, F Sport .

They charged €1622; (Statistical Code; 40387336)
    Make: Lexus
    Model: CT
    Version: 200H F Sport CVT 5DR AUTO

but I'd been expecting something like this ..41887336 (€1,169)

Make: Lexus
    Model: CT200h
    Version: 1.8 F-SPORT E-CVT (136BHP) 5DR

-

It's still cheaper than last car I imported for sure, just a bit peeved seeing the two different options in the Calculator for the _same_ car.

Any grounds to appeal for the sake of €500 and differences in their OSMP or let it slide?

V5 says 'CT200h F Sport CVT'

What was the date of registration?

STAT 40387336 ranges from Oct 2011 to Dec 2015

STAT 41887336 ranges from Sept 2015 to Oct 2016

Thanks. But I'm looking for the New CLA 220 Petrol AMG Line. It's a 4 door coupe 1991cc. 139g emissions. If it isn't there on calculator can I ask anywhere for a ballpark figure.

Well vrt for 139gm is 19%, so take the new retail price, drop it by whatever is appropriate for nearly new, say 5-15%, and multiply by 0.19. UK price for this car is £32945 list, so expect new OMSP here of €46k, based on if you imported brand new, remove UK VAT, add Irish VAT, then calculate an OMSP of which the VRT free price is 81% and the VRT is the remaining 19%.
    If a very new used model retail estimate is 40k, your VRT on this as an import will be €7600

Well vrt for 139gm is 19%, so take the new retail price, drop it by whatever is appropriate for nearly new, say 5-15%, and multiply by 0.19. UK price for this car is £32945 list, so expect new OMSP here of €46k, based on if you imported brand new, remove UK VAT, add Irish VAT, then calculate an OMSP of which the VRT free price is 81% and the VRT is the remaining 19%.
    If a very new used model retail estimate is 40k, your VRT on this as an import will be €7600

That's great. Thank you. I had worked out something very similar. I'm just surprised the car isn't on the VRT calculator. But worst case scenario would be the New Price here, add the extra( - extras depreciation) now reduce by the depreciation code and apply 19%. I'd just like to see some kind model similar on the calculator as when I arrive at VRT, I don't want a nasty surprise where they value as the AMG and apply the 19% etc. Can you call into a VRT centre and ask a general question and ask how they will calculate it given that the model isn't there and is a commonly available model here.

That's great. Thank you. I had worked out something very similar. I'm just surprised the car isn't on the VRT calculator. But worst case scenario would be the New Price here, add the extra( - extras depreciation) now reduce by the depreciation code and apply 19%. I'd just like to see some kind model similar on the calculator as when I arrive at VRT, I don't want a nasty surprise where they value as the AMG and apply the 19% etc. Can you call into a VRT centre and ask a general question and ask how they will calculate it given that the model isn't there and is a commonly available model here.

You hardly have the UK reg do you? If you want to PM it to me I'll see if I can find a Stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi - I am getting a VRT slot for the 19th of Sep. If I book it now will I be able to change the date to an earlier one incase one pops up? Is there a charge for changing dates for VRT?
    thanks

You hardly have the UK reg do you? If you want to PM it to me I'll see if I can find a Stat.

PM'd

Depreciation on the CLA 180 AMG lime petrol is 18% for a May 2018 car with 15000 miles, so expect the same depreciation for similar on a 220. That would make OMSP list of €46,262 less 18%, €37,964, giving 19% VRT of €7207. What year/miles were you after.

Depreciation on the CLA 180 AMG lime petrol is 18% for a May 2018 car with 15000 miles, so expect the same depreciation for similar on a 220. That would make OMSP list of €46,262 less 18%, €37,964, giving 19% VRT of €7207. What year/miles were you after.

I'm actually looking at the newer model, 7 months old 5000miles etc. I got 12% depreciation C1 rate when I looked on the 180amg line. I'm presuming the 200amg or 220amg line will have a similar depreciation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Anyone got any thoughts on the below car for a total novice? Just happen to be flying back through Belfast today and this one is close enough for me to get to. It's a May 2016 reg with full service history and last serviced in May 2019. Doesn't seem to have an MOT.

https://www.meadowcars.co.uk/used-cars/citroen-grand-c4-picasso-1-6-bluehdi-selection-ss-5dr-carrickfergus-201908080920351

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Very annoying when you think you decided on something in the UK only for the OMSP to be miles higher on ros.ie.

Anyone know what the story is with car specs? I'm looking for a skoda superb, but the models for 2L TDI are all different on ros.ie than what's available in uk. Will they select the higher spec, or just look for a keyword that matches and just randomly select that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Mynameistom

Off to Monaghan I go...Road trip :pac:

Have you vrt'd it yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

I want to use Revolut to pay for a car in the UK. My account is fully set up and identity verified. Am I now able to transfer ~25k from my Irish bank account into revolut? Does anybody know how long that would take? If I then use Revolut to do a transfer to the sellers bank account how long does that take? Would the whole lot be complete by the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dietmar Hamann

Are people still being asked to return for a second appointment to make payment on certain cars if they are under 1 year old?

Have an appointment for a BMW 4 series in a few weeks and looking to see if I need to give the CC company a heads up in advance of the VRT date or should I wait till I get the amount due.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

anacc wrote: »
    I want to use Revolut to pay for a car in the UK. My account is fully set up and identity verified. Am I now able to transfer ~25k from my Irish bank account into revolut? Does anybody know how long that would take? If I then use Revolut to do a transfer to the sellers bank account how long does that take? Would the whole lot be complete by the weekend?

25K from Irish bank to Revolut Irish account - yes do that, as it will be limited to how much you can do max in a day (PTSB eg has a limit of 5+5 total 10K)

Revolut Euro GBP is instant (with a charge if you don't have a premium account)

Revolut GBP to UK sellers account is a few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cienciano wrote: »
    Very annoying when you think you decided on something in the UK only for the OMSP to be miles higher on ros.ie.

Anyone know what the story is with car specs? I'm looking for a skoda superb, but the models for 2L TDI are all different on ros.ie than what's available in uk. Will they select the higher spec, or just look for a keyword that matches and just randomly select that?

What you pay for the car in the UK has no bearing on the OMSP value over here. If you can find examples over here for sale that are below Revenue's current OMSP valuation then you can appeal but you have to pay the original VRT figure first before appealing.

They also don't look for a keyword or randomly select a spec, they go off the car's VIN and related STAT code.

Debub wrote: »
    Hi - I am getting a VRT slot for the 19th of Sep. If I book it now will I be able to change the date to an earlier one incase one pops up? Is there a charge for changing dates for VRT?
    thanks

Yea you can change it, if you make any changes within 5 working days of your appointment you will get a charge of €23.81 on top of the VRT.

Are people still being asked to return for a second appointment to make payment on certain cars if they are under 1 year old?

Have an appointment for a BMW 4 series in a few weeks and looking to see if I need to give the CC company a heads up in advance of the VRT date or should I wait till I get the amount due.

Yea if it's under 2 years you won't get the price at the first appointment.

Anyone got any thoughts on the below car for a total novice? Just happen to be flying back through Belfast today and this one is close enough for me to get to. It's a May 2016 reg with full service history and last serviced in May 2019. Doesn't seem to have an MOT.

https://www.meadowcars.co.uk/used-cars/citroen-grand-c4-picasso-1-6-bluehdi-selection-ss-5dr-carrickfergus-201908080920351

About €14,100 with VRT, less whatever you can get off for cash and no trade in. It's a good €1000+ below similar cars on Carsireland.ie, and many of these are dealer imports anyway. You've got to compare the extras to see if its value, such as start stop and touch screen etc. Looks good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭relax carry on

About €14,100 with VRT, less whatever you can get off for cash and no trade in. It's a good €1000+ below similar cars on Carsireland.ie, and many of these are dealer imports anyway. You've got to compare the extras to see if its value, such as start stop and touch screen etc. Looks good value.

Cheers. Had a look and it's in great shape. Test drove and drives very well. More power in it than I'm used to so something to I'll have to get used to. The interior is like no one ever sat in it. Doors boot etc look like they were hardly used. Was owned by someone on a scheme called motability so part of that is full service/maintenance of the vehicle which they have a history of. Did the hpi check and all green across the board. MOT not required at 3 years as it's 4 years in NI. Had to look that up.

Got a good deal and the savings compared to same model with similar age + millage is over 2k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭moby2101

Yea if it's under 2 years you won't get the price at the first appointment.

I VRT ‘d and paid the VRT due on my 6 month old car last year at the first appointment. I know several other people with cars that were under 2 years old and no issues with having to return for an another appointment?

When did this start?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement