Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Shlippery wrote: »
    My understanding is you have to make a booking (within the first 7 days) I don't think the booking has to be necessarily be within that window.

Open to correction.

yes - make a booking within 7 days of importing and the booking date has to be within 30 days of importing
    I have contacted them within 7 days but my I don't know my actual (VRT) date as yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I did not get a email back after I contacted them so I think I will chase tomorrow. Looks like a lot us are getting pre-brexit cars imported and they are full up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

moby2101 wrote: »
    Really

I paid my VRT on my 6 month old BMW 420 Coupe that has roughly 13K of extras there and then .

Yep, really. Always been like that. It used to be for cars under 4 years old now this would have been back in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭moby2101

michellie wrote: »
    Yep, really. Always been like that. It used to be for cars under 4 years old now this would have been back in 2010.

I don’t think this is the case . From my own experience and friends and colleagues who have been Importing cars over the last number of years. I know of one case where I guy I know brought in a Tesla S (it was an American car , LHD had been modified in the UK to RHD)... that one had them stumped because of the VIN relating to a LHD.
    In my own case I presented the car on the day and within the hour I was on my merry way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Just had my VRT appointment. Really quick, girls were lovely, got my license plates too.

And it was 600 euro less than it was when I Iooked it up on the VRT calculator last week :)

Thanks for all your assistance folks. This thread has been a great help xx

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

just a very quick ask of all the experts...553 pages and I haven't the energy or time to trawl through it although I am sure it's there so I thought I would take the short cut route and ask. Car is bought and paid for, insurance and UK tax sorted, flights booked, ferry booked. VRT inspection date set.

Bringing Passport, drivers licence and insurance docs.

Is there any glowing issue I need to sort out or anything else I need to bring or request other than the V5?

Thanks...

moby2101 wrote: »
    I don’t think this is the case . From my own experience and friends and colleagues who have been Importing cars over the last number of years. I know of one case where I guy I know brought in a Tesla S (it was an American car , LHD had been modified in the UK to RHD)... that one had them stumped because of the VIN relating to a LHD.
    In my own case I presented the car on the day and within the hour I was on my merry way.

It is the case, certain vehicles(not all-just the higher end stuff) under 2 years old are subject to manual valuation, and certain older vehicles with an X1 X2 depreciation are subject to it too.

TAN holders can send OMSP assessments to the CVO and get a valuation ref so that they can register it at their appointment.

But I'm glad you were in and out in a an hour for your appointment..

just a very quick ask of all the experts...553 pages and I haven't the energy or time to trawl through it although I am sure it's there so I thought I would take the short cut route and ask. Car is bought and paid for, insurance and UK tax sorted, flights booked, ferry booked. VRT inspection date set.

Bringing Passport, drivers licence and insurance docs.

Is there any glowing issue I need to sort out or anything else I need to bring or request other than the V5?

Thanks...

Make sure you get a invoice/ receipt from the seller. You need that for your VRT appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bamayang

Is there any reputable sites i should be looking at outside of Autotrader.co.uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

bamayang wrote: »
    Is there any reputable sites i should be looking at outside of Autotrader.co.uk?

https://www.usedcarsni.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭deezell

bamayang wrote: »
    Also Parkers and Carsite.
    Many of the cars will be duplicated with Autotrader. One useful feature of Carsite is that the reg no. Is listed in the car details, so you can check DVLA reg date, emissions and MOT details. It's frustrating when plates not displayed on an ad, or there are no images. Parkers also have V5 available as a .pdf

Debub wrote: »
    my 7 days are up tomm and I was not getting any appointment online, so I rang them today. They said that I am on a waiting list and sent an auto generated email and confirmed on the phone that I should be getting in touch with them within 7 days - which I have done by ringing them up, so I should be ok (nothing in writing - so am also a bit worried)

Appointments are normally opened on Monday or Tuesday for a fortnight's time. So if you keep an eye on the website you'll get something. And it is live so if anyone cancels, the spaces become available straight away. Just keep checking.

It's going to be crazy busy in the next few weeks with appointments. Most centres are open 7 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 crazyman79

michellie wrote: »
    Appointments are normally opened on Monday or Tuesday for a fortnight's time. So if you keep an eye on the website you'll get something. And it is live so if anyone cancels, the spaces become available straight away. Just keep checking.

It's going to be crazy busy in the next few weeks with appointments. Most centres are open 7 days a week.

I would imagine it will be very busy indeed. I wonder what will happen if you bring in a car end of Oct but can't get a VRT date in Nov at all, or if you secure one in late Nov but then require a second date for full evaluation of VRT due that takes you after Nov deadline?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

I just got pulled in by customs. The lads were sound, I didn't have the v5c on me, I should have had it, but I had the car insured and they check the dates I insured it from and could see that I swapped from an Irish Reg to the UK one 8 days ago, so no problems, they sent me on my way and said to carry the v5c and invoice with me until I get Irish plates on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

How does one reclaim UK Motor Tax on a car? Paid for 6 months last Saturday before bringing a car in but can't find a section on the DVLA website for reclaiming/cancelling (prob. staring me in the face but I can't see it).

Valhallapt wrote: »
    I just got pulled in by customs. The lads were sound, I didn't have the v5c on me, I should have had it, but I had the car insured and they check the dates I insured it from and could see that I swapped from an Irish Reg to the UK one 8 days ago, so no problems, they sent me on my way and said to carry the v5c and invoice with me until I get Irish plates on it.

What kind of proof of insurance did you get? I got temporary insurance from AA through my old policy. They said they dont provide anything and then after a lot of and forth yer one agreed to send me an email confirming my cover, its a heap of sh*te. Could've written it myself, if I get pulled over there, not a hope they will accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

How does one reclaim UK Motor Tax on a car? Paid for 6 months last Saturday before bringing a car in but can't find a section on the DVLA website for reclaiming/cancelling (prob. staring me in the face but I can't see it).

There is a section on the full V5 form, you dettach and post it. All the details on what you need to do are writen on it.

There is a section on the full V5 form, you dettach and post it. All the details on what you need to do are writen on it.

Just spoke to the DVLA and they said to write in!

What kind of proof of insurance did you get? I got temporary insurance from AA through my old policy. They said they dont provide anything and then after a lot of and forth yer one agreed to send me an email confirming my cover, its a heap of sh*te. Could've written it myself, if I get pulled over there, not a hope they will accept it.

I had my current Insurance (Aviva) moved to the UK reg and all they could give me was a simple email like you - but did have a Insurance ref number on it

out of curiosity, why did you pay six months? was that the only option? I'm trying to get the garage to sort it for me but they are being a bit vague.

• Advertisement

Just spoke to the DVLA and they said to write in!

Takes up to 6 weeks to receive the cheque from them.

out of curiosity, why did you pay six months? was that the only option? I'm trying to get the garage to sort it for me but they are being a bit vague.

The car dealer set up a direct debit for me on my Revolut card

Yeah its the only option unless you can do a direct debit but you need a UK bank account and probably address for that. You could cancel the direct debit and just pay one month in that case.

The car dealer set up a direct debit for me on my Revolut card

Is this something that can be done relatively quickly on the day of purchase/collection? Even on weekend?

Is this something that can be done relatively quickly on the day of purchase/collection? Even on weekend?

took less than 5 minutes for me - should be same on a weekend as well I presume as its online

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

deezell wrote: »
    You can also just leave the UK plates on (for 3 days give or take) until you have the tax disk in your hands, so you can park on the street without worry. Stick a print out of online tax receipt in the window. Only a knob would give you a ticket in this case, as he's just wasting everyone's time cancelling it all later.
    Back in the day, there was a virtual chap called Reginald, and every January there could be hundreds of new cars, untaxed of course, driving around with cardboard plates festooned with the promise, "FOR REG". Lucky guy, and yet another extinct bit of another Ireland.

I literally, used to be 'Reginald'. 'His' first bike, September 1986...sure wasn't January only around the corner ? :pac: :pac:

489953.png

Ah, heady days indeed :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

The only other option was 12months.....:pac:

Garage wouldn't let me drive the car away without it for legal reasons.

Took less than 5 minutes online on a Saturday morning (day of purchase).

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭All in all

I had my current Insurance (Aviva) moved to the UK reg and all they could give me was a simple email like you - but did have a Insurance ref number on it

I am with Aviva too, I switched online.

After a phone call with them they told that I needed to do a permanent change to UK reg, then change again when I had Irish reg. To be honest it sounded incorrect to change permanently to UK reg but they told me that was the only way they could do it.

They sent me certificate and disc with UK reg, and when I updated later with Irish reg they sent me updated cert and disc again.

• Advertisement

All in all wrote: »
    I am with Aviva too, I switched online.

After a phone call with them they told that I needed to do a permanent change to UK reg, then change again when I had Irish reg. To be honest it sounded incorrect to change permanently to UK reg but they told me that was the only way they could do it.

They sent me certificate and disc with UK reg, and when I updated later with Irish reg they sent me updated cert and disc again.

Sorry - you are correct - they said permanent change to UK Reg, (we were a bit back n forth on the temporary/permanent bit), but all got was an email as I changed over on the morning that I was picking the car up and I needed something immediately

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement