Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As has been said many times in recent weeks in this thread - do not buy a car in the UK without the V5C document (logbook). There are thousands of cars for sale over there with proper documentation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

steven1987 wrote: »
    I personally wont be buying any thing until there is more certainty around it vrt/import dutys taxes personally I would wait

No deal brexit will not happen overnight anywhere. It would cripple so many businesses, 1st of Nov is a date to kick things off in terms off discussions with regard to import duty. No deal brexit deadline and the lead up to it is an extremely opportune time to purchase. Sterling has made an inexplicable recovery. I would hold off for the next six weeks for some value.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

No deal brexit will not happen overnight anywhere. It would cripple so many businesses, 1st of Nov is a date to kick things off in terms off discussions with regard to import duty. No deal brexit deadline and the lead up to it is an extremely opportune time to purchase. Sterling has made an inexplicable recovery. I would hold off for the next six weeks for some value.
    Sterling rose when No Deal was outlawed.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

No deal isnt actually outlawed .......

The law is that Boris must ask the EU for an extension of 3 months to the 31st of January.

The EU can decline this extension request or Boris could mess the thing up.

No deal is still very much on cards .

The markets did see that law being passed as positive but no deal in itself is not outlawed.

Esel wrote: »
    Sterling rose when No Deal was outlawed.

What are you talking about? No deal has not been outlawed. Also Sterling has been on a recovery for 3 weeks, massive recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

No deal will happen on the 31st!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What are you talking about? No deal has not been outlawed. Also Sterling has been on a recovery for 3 weeks, massive recovery.
    :O

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

please , lets not go here.

OP I wouldn't buy the car unless the V5C is handed to you. That's the advice from both the UK and Irish governments.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Do noy buy car without the V5 too risky esp when buying abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Strange thing lads - if someone can throw some light on this...

I was looking to cancel my Direct Debit for UK road tax on my Revolut. The dealer helped set up the DD when I was buying the car and I have a print out saying that the DD is set up and I can drive the car straight away, but that my actual; schedule will be emailed out to me and to get back to DVLA in case I didn't get the email in 48 hours. Now - there is no email and no debit on the Revolut card for the first direct debit date. Whats the story here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭deezell

Debub wrote: »
    Strange thing lads - if someone can throw some light on this...

I was looking to cancel my Direct Debit for UK road tax on my Revolut. The dealer helped set up the DD when I was buying the car and I have a print out saying that the DD is set up and I can drive the car straight away, but that my actual; schedule will be emailed out to me and to get back to DVLA in case I didn't get the email in 48 hours. Now - there is no email and no debit on the Revolut card for the first direct debit date. Whats the story here?
    Afaik you can only set up Euro DD on Revolut. If yours has been rejected, happy days. You don't need it if the car is here. It annoyed me a little to pay £20 road tax (6 months?) for the two days in the UK. On previous purchases, dealers seemed indifferent as it was straight to ferry, and they were happy just to have advised you. The transaction would not show on reg plate cameras anyway, until days later, and the dated export slip posted to DVLA would allow them to remove car from the tax data base. The car is covered on the day by the dealer plates, though not displayed. I think the dealers are covering themselves legally, to a point, as you can accept responsibility for the road tax on receipt of the car.
    It's a bit like V5C handover, there's uncertainty about what to do in the case of export cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Jesus H Christ, the Sterling has strengthened in the last few weeks!! I haven't been really tracking it. Finally sold my own car, and was hoping to pick up a hybrid Golf across the pond! I had been planning for the Sterling to be on it's knees though :( ~Kinda regretting selling my own now (Honda Accord EX)

flanzer wrote: »
    Jesus H Christ, the Sterling has strengthened in the last few weeks!! I haven't been really tracking it. Finally sold my own car, and was hoping to pick up a hybrid Golf across the pond! I had been planning for the Sterling to be on it's knees though :( ~Kinda regretting selling my own now (Honda Accord EX)

To put it into perspective...a £10k car over there bought around this time last month would cost you £500 less than if buying today. £20k...£1000 less etc.

This time last month the financial times was reporting that it wouldn't be long before there would be parity between EUR & GBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

VRT appointment on Wednesday......question, do they provide the new Irish plates or do I need to get them elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

VRT appointment on Wednesday......question, do they provide the new Irish plates or do I need to get them elsewhere?

Some center's can sell you the plates but generally they give you a form with the reg on it and you get them made yourself.

You've to get the plates yourself. Halfords do them but these guys are recommended as the best and cheapest:

https://www.eireplates.com/

Just don't go for any of the German font stuff which could cause NCT issues.

Standard steel pressed best option:

https://www.eireplates.com/product/nct-standard-black-irish-font-on-white-plate-single

Getting a fixing kit too:

https://www.eireplates.com/product/numberplate-screws

The adhesives don't last in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I got mine at the VRT appointment - 25 euro. But not all the centre's sell them

• Registered Users Posts: 24 crazyman79

Hi all,

I have put a deposit on a car and am travelling next week to collect. Can anyone help with the V5C form? What exactly gets filled out, what gets sent to DVLA, and what parts of the form do I take with me? Also, I know I have to get the invoice clearly stating the date of sale and the mileage. Is there anything else I need from the dealer when completing the purchase?

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

crazyman79 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have put a deposit on a car and am travelling next week to collect. Can anyone help with the V5C form? What exactly gets filled out, what gets sent to DVLA, and what parts of the form do I take with me? Also, I know I have to get the invoice clearly stating the date of sale and the mileage. Is there anything else I need from the dealer when completing the purchase?

Many thanks.

Nothing needs be done with the V5 form you just hand it into vrt office when clearing the car, nothing to be filled by dealer either its diff to down here. The dealer should give you an invoice with the date indicating purchase thats all you need as the day of the vrt office the inspector checks milage and all that. No thats all you need only the v5 form and invoice.

revoke12 wrote: »
    Nothing needs be done with the V5 form you just hand it into vrt office when clearing the car, nothing to be filled by dealer either its diff to down here. The dealer should give you an invoice with the date indicating purchase thats all you need as the day If the vrt office the inspector checks milage and all that. No thats all you need only the v5 form and invoice.

So there is no need to fill out anything on the V5C form at all, just take it? Surely, the dealer will complete and send off the notification of exportation and send that section to DVLA?

Thanks for reply

• Advertisement

You've to get the plates yourself. Halfords do them but these guys are recommended as the best and cheapest:

https://www.eireplates.com/.....

At €37 for a pair of standard plates, I don't think so. €20 for a pair over the counter at my local autoparts in Clane. Online not always the best value.

So there is no need to fill out anything on the V5C form at all, just take it? Surely, the dealer will complete and send off the notification of exportation and send that section to DVLA?

Thanks for reply
    That's the one little bit he should detach and send off, it covers him for not insisting on taxing the car also. He should add a note with the slip with your details and address.

deezell wrote: »
    That's the one little bit he should detach and send off, it covers him for not insisting on taxing the car also. He should add a note with the slip with your details and address.

Ok great. I was thinking that. Does that mean i can take the car with car tax then for the 4 hour drive. It's out of car tax since 17th July 2019. I was going to pay by direct debut and cancel immediately on arriving at ferry.

Thanks for the help

Ok great. I was thinking that. Does that mean i can take the car with car tax then for the 4 hour drive. It's out of car tax since 17th July 2019. I was going to pay by direct debut and cancel immediately on arriving at ferry.

Thanks for the help
    If you were stopped tax record wouldn't be online anyway even if you paid, once you have dated sales invoice and ferry ticket, only a knob would make a fuss.

If you were stopped tax record wouldn't be online anyway even if you paid, once you have dated sales invoice and ferry ticket, only a knob would make a fuss.

Ok so I will get him to send of exportation section, take the rest of form. Have invoice sitting on passenger seat and hope I'm not pulled over and if i am try some Irish charm and the sales invoice to explain.

it makes no odds what happens to the export section, just make sure you get the main page in your hand.

Only a knob would make a fuss is right. Trouble is some UK traffic cops are knobs.

You'll also need evidence of ferry journey.

Isambard wrote: »
    it makes no odds what happens to the export section, just make sure you get the main page in your hand.

Only a knob would make a fuss is right. Trouble is some UK traffic cops are knobs.

You'll also need evidence of ferry journey.
    Dealer or private owner sending off the export slip with a covering letter removes the liability for road tax from the UK registered keeper/dealer as there is no change of UK registered keeper taking place due to export. It's advised to do this on the DVLA site, some dealers take the easy option and tax the car pointlessly in your name with an invalid Irish address.

yes but it makes no difference to a buyer whether this is done or not.

Isambard wrote: »
    yes but it makes no difference to a buyer whether this is done or not.
    It does if the dealer insists on you paying £80+ for 6 months road tax for typical automatic, at least with the export slip returned to the DVLA you can get a refund as they have a record. For low emissions cars of 100-110 it's not worth the effort, but it's still £20. If your card is accepted for standing order then you can cancel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

https://www.eireplates.com/

Just don't go for any of the German font stuff which could cause NCT issues.

Standard steel pressed best option:

https://www.eireplates.com/product/nct-standard-black-irish-font-on-white-plate-single

Getting a fixing kit too:

https://www.eireplates.com/product/numberplate-screws

The adhesives don't last in my experience.

Adhesives last if you have an acrylic plate. Depending on the car, I'd go with the acrylic just for ease of mounting it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement