Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭erie

Last year, my friend bought Zafira from London without tax... in the same day, he drove it to Pembroke with all documents from dealer, ferry ticket and insurance policy (hibernian), then he was stopped by police in M4 near swindon coz that car was registered as 'off road'... he explained to the police, even ask police to call the dealer... but that guy was still pursue with towing that zafira to nearest police station... he was fine by £80 and backed again to take his zafira 5wks after (waiting reg book and get it tax), plus his windscreen broken and police didn't responsible for that...

So... i think, you should get it tax... even just 6mths... there afew guys (police) that follow book word by word... be in safe side...

just to let you guys know...:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You can reclaim the unused tax afaik. Discuss this with the seller. You really only need it for a day - you could even post it back to the seller from Holyhead. I suppose you'd have to trust them to send you the money though. Cheaper than the hassle described by the previous poster anyway! Those ANPR cameras are all over the place.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jamesojnr

I am hoping to bring a car down from the north in two weeks time intime for vrt. It's a english reg car and Am wondering what i need going in to vro office. On the revenue site it says Recipet. But if i don't have wondering if i will get away with out it.

You need the V5 document, apart from the tear-off strip on the bottom that the seller completes and sends to the DVLO. It's the bit that states that the vehivle is being permanently exported. A receipt would be very advisable too!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

erie wrote: »
    Last year, my friend bought Zafira from London without tax... in the same day, he drove it to Pembroke with all documents from dealer, ferry ticket and insurance policy (hibernian), then he was stopped by police in M4 near swindon coz that car was registered as 'off road'... he explained to the police, even ask police to call the dealer... but that guy was still pursue with towing that zafira to nearest police station... he was fine by £80 and backed again to take his zafira 5wks after (waiting reg book and get it tax), plus his windscreen broken and police didn't responsible for that...

So... i think, you should get it tax... even just 6mths... there afew guys (police) that follow book word by word... be in safe side...

just to let you guys know...:(:(:(

Can someone please confirm that you CAN get UK tax with an Irish insurance policy? I was told by the DVLA a while ago that you can't, you need a UK insurance policy.

• Advertisement

The seller can tax the car. You just hope you get the refund back from them.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

esel wrote: »
    The seller can tax the car. You just hope you get the refund back from them.

Fair enough - what if it's a garage that's holding the car? Will they do it?

Don't see why not, as long as they are reputable. They would be ensuring a sale, at no cost to themselves.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cooper38

'Independent' check
    Dont forget to get it checked. AA are cheaper than RAC, garages doing checks are not independent so for peace of mind get that done. This isnt a HPI check.

Insurance
    Switch your insurance from your existing car (assuming you have one) to the new one when sending it back to ensure its covered.

Exchange Rate
    Dont just collect a draft at your bank as you will lose at least €200 on poor Irish bank rates. Check your bank, bureau de change and www.currency.ie
    A quick phone call will save you a lot of money.

Jeep Conversions
    I had a jeep brought in and converted for just €800 so no need to pay circa €1400 or what some garages are charging. There is no problem getting converted jeeps DOE'd despite what some people say.

Sterling
    Lisbon No Vote has weakened the euro and consequently strengthened sterling so if you are buying this week, next you may want to watch this.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭erie

Can someone please confirm that you CAN get UK tax with an Irish insurance policy? I was told by the DVLA a while ago that you can't, you need a UK insurance policy.

Police said... the garage should provide you this (tax), if you ask them... that's your right...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 eagleeyejoe

Hi, i'm looking at importing a car from the UK next weekend. I'm planning on bringing it from London to Somerset and leaving it there and collecting it early July, as the VRT will have reduced by then. The car is taxed for another six months. What about insurance. Do i need to contact my insurance company here and tell them exactely what i'm doing? Will i have to transfer my policy for a few days or so? Also, i was just speaking with the guy(private sale) selling the car. He says if i transfer the rest of the money into his account then he can ring the DVLA and get the logbook changed and put the car in my name. I've already given him a deposit. Naturally, i'd be concerned at giving him the rest of the money before getting the keys of the car. Would the fact that the car isn't in my name an issue if i get stopped by the police on the way to Somerset or could i just explane to the police if i have a receipt from the guy. What's the normal protocol in these circumstances?

You don't need the car registered in your name. Just get the seller to complete the permanent export section of the V5, remove it, and send it to Swansea. Be sure you get the main section of the V5 - you need it in the VRO office here. I wouldn't send the balance of the money for the reason that you haven't seen the car in the flesh, and haven't taken possession of it either. If his only reason for wanting the balance now is to transfer the car into your name, tel him there is no need as you are exporting it (as above).

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

westbourne wrote: »
    Have been told by the Irish VRT office that if you import a new car you will have to pay the relevant VRT as well as VAT of the invoice price at 21%. Now upon buying the car in England I will have already payed English VAT - does anyone know how to claim back this English VAT once the Irish VAT is paid?

I found this...
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/consumers-vehicle.htm

If you and the supplier fill in in form VAT 411 you won't need to pay the UK VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭micandre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 eagleeyejoe

You don't need the car registered in your name. Just get the seller to complete the permanent export section of the V5, remove it, and send it to Swansea. Be sure you get the main section of the V5 - you need it in the VRO office here. I wouldn't send the balance of the money for the reason that you haven't seen the car in the flesh, and haven't taken possession of it either. If his only reason for wanting the balance now is to transfer the car into your name, tel him there is no need as you are exporting it (as above).

Thanks Esel. I'm going over this weekend. I just want to confirm a few things.
    1. I'm just wondering if you know how many sections there are in the V5C document?
    2. So i must get the seller to complete section 11 of the V5C doc, tear it off and sent it to Swansea?
    3. Do i need to sign anything?
    4. Must this have arrived in Swansea before i export the car?
    5. What documentation will they look for at Pembroke when exporting?
    I would appreciate any help with this. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You don't have to get the seller to complete anything, you can just take the entire V5 if they let you. You don't need to sign anything. No, Swansea will be informed by the Irish authorities in any case when you register the car here. They shouldn't look for anything (except perhaps your passport) at Pembroke.

Anan1 wrote: »
    You don't have to get the seller to complete anything, you can just take the entire V5 if they let you. You don't need to sign anything. No, Swansea will be informed by the Irish authorities in any case when you register the car here. They shouldn't look for anything (except perhaps your passport) at Pembroke.
    The seller completes and submits the export declaration for theit own protection. Why would they be happy to give you the complete document?

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The seller completes and submits the export declaration for theit own protection. Why would they be happy to give you the complete document?

Its far simpler from our perspective if they do.
    The garage I got my car from agreed to do so- once the funds had cleared (later that afternoon).

S.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Its far simpler from our perspective if they do.
    The garage I got my car from agreed to do so- once the funds had cleared (later that afternoon).

S.
    Why is it simpler? The export slip is not needed when registering the car here, and the seller would be taking a needless risk. I can't see your reasoning on this, tbh.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Quick question - bit if a problem, just bought a used car from the UK, have very little of the V5 - seems the seller just gave me the sections from the V5 that he would normally give to somebody buying from the UK, rather than the whole thing (1-8), so I just have 10 (New keeper supliment) and 11 (Notification of permenent export).
    I also have a recipt from the garage I purchased the car from. Any easy way of getting papers sorted so I can pay VRT before 30th June?
    Will they take what I have at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Going up to VRT my car on Monday, im seeing people saying you need reciepts etc - I dont have a reciept, all ill be bringing up is my V5 and credit card, thats all i need isnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 scootie doo

cianclarke wrote: »
    Quick question - bit if a problem, just bought a used car from the UK, have very little of the V5 - seems the seller just gave me the sections from the V5 that he would normally give to somebody buying from the UK, rather than the whole thing (1-8), so I just have 10 (New keeper supliment) and 11 (Notification of permenent export).
    I also have a recipt from the garage I purchased the car from. Any easy way of getting papers sorted so I can pay VRT before 30th June?

Something similar happened to me yesterday, the dealer (main franchise dealer) would not give me sections 1-8, said he could not allow me to leave the dealership without the car being taxed because if I was stopped by the Police on the way to the port they would get hassle. He popped off to the post office and returned with a tax disk and said that sections 1-8 were lodged at the post office he went on to explain that the V5C would be sent to me by the DVLA and could take from 2 to 6 weeks to arrive! Please let us know how you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

Just a quick question

If I move to the UK for 7 months, buy a car straight away and move home after the 7 months

Will I have to pay VRT?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

..the V5C would be sent to me by the DVLA and could take from 2 to 6 weeks to arrive!

Assuming you gave a UK address. The DVLA won't register a UK car to a non-UK address. The dealer should have sent off Section 11 to the DVLA and given you the rest of the V5C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 scootie doo

benifa wrote: »
    Assuming you gave a UK address. The DVLA won't register a UK car to a non-UK address. The dealer should have sent off Section 11 to the DVLA and given you the rest of the V5C.

Gave an Irish address, but I read elsewhere that the DVLA will forward the orignal V5C stating that they can't register to a non UK address and requesting that section 11 be returned to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Going up to VRT my car on Monday, im seeing people saying you need reciepts etc - I dont have a reciept, all ill be bringing up is my V5 and credit card, thats all i need isnt it?

They don't take credit card! Cheque or draft only, daft I know. You also need your PPS number, this is to assist them in identifying serial importers (for income tax purposes).

You don't need a receipt. Just the full V5C (minus the permanent export bit at the end). Fill in the VR4 & RF100 forms in advance to save a bit of time.
    How can I Pay?

You can pay using the following methods:

* Bankdraft made payable to "Revenue Commissioners".
    * Money order made payable to "Revenue Commissioners".
    * Laser debit card (subject to a limit of €1500).
    * Unguaranteed cheques may also be accepted in payment subject to the following conditions:
    o The payer's name, the name on the cheque and the name of the owner of the vehicle being registered must be the same.
    o The payer's PPS No. must be written on the back of the cheque.
    o Photographic proof of the payer's identity must be provided, (e.g. passport, driver's licence).

* In the interest of your own safety and that of Revenue staff in the VRO we no longer accept cash in payment of any tax or duty.

NOTE: Third Party cheques will not be accepted.

cianclarke wrote: »

Short answer, no. You will have to wait until you have possession of the complete V5 (minus permanent export bit). Happened to one of the lads a few years ago, nightmare to sort out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

They wont accept credit cards or cash. They will take a bank draft, cheque (with photo ID) or laser card (to a max of €1500). You don't need receipt, just full V5 with sections 1-8, also to speed things up have this form printed out and filled http://www.revenue.ie/forms/vrt4frm.pdf.

• Advertisement

tech wrote: »
    Just a quick question

If I move to the UK for 7 months, buy a car straight away and move home after the 7 months

Will I have to pay VRT?

Thanks

See this Form here:

VRT exemption

If you can fill this out satisfactorily with the necessary back up then you should be OK.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement