Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Car I am importing has MOT due 30th January 2020 its a January 2017 car.

Can the garage MOT this for me, or is January 2020 too far away for them to do it?

Edit

Reading online I cant get it MOTd before 31st of this month so too late for me.

Read on this thread
    "3) I asked for a VRT appointment and they've sent me an email with all documents required. It mentions a proof of shipping. Would my ferry ticket suffice? "

I assume this is not required if importing from Northern Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Read on this thread
    "3) I asked for a VRT appointment and they've sent me an email with all documents required. It mentions a proof of shipping. Would my ferry ticket suffice? "

I assume this is not required if importing from Northern Ireland?

No but they will ask for an invoice for the car. I presume they would go by the date on the invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

I’m looking to buy a car in the UK and I was planning on using my Revolut Card, but the dealer is saying they have a maximum transaction limit of £2,000 for Debit/Credit Cards and they only accept Bank Transfer or Faster Payment. Is this common and can you do a Bank Transfer or Faster Payment using a Revolut Card? If not, what’s the best option?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭bf

SeamusFX wrote: »
    I’m looking to buy a car in the UK and I was planning on using my Revolut Card, but the dealer is saying they have a maximum transaction limit of £2,000 for Debit/Credit Cards and they only accept Bank Transfer or Faster Payment. Is this common and can you do a Bank Transfer or Faster Payment using a Revolut Card? If not, what’s the best option?

You can do a bank transfer using your Revolut card. Go to the payments tab in the appand press + at the top of the screen to add the beneficiary bank details. Payment usually lands within 15/20 mins to dealer bank account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

SeamusFX wrote: »

If doing a bank transfer, use Transferwise, by far the cheapest way to transfer money. I recently had to transfer 25k sterling, I saved 800 euro compared to the best I could get from BOI, a good exchange rate and low commission/transfer cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Podge1972 wrote: »
    currently lodging an appeal myself

do you mind me asking which OMSP was the €4k taken off?

The Open Market Selling Price (OMSP) determined by Revenue

or

The Current OMSP determined by Revenue

Current OMSP as that's used in the calculation of VRT

I.e. Current OMSP x vrt rate %

• Registered Users Posts: 6,765 ✭✭✭deezell

Car I am importing has MOT due 30th January 2020 its a January 2017 car.

Can the garage MOT this for me, or is January 2020 too far away for them to do it?

Edit

Reading online I cant get it MOTd before 31st of this month so too late for me.
    What use would a Jan 2020 MOT be for a Jan 2017 car? It's not due an NCT till Jan 2021, so MOT will be expired by then.

Hi guys looking to pay 12k sterling for a car next week.

Got funds from bank today.

Tried to transfer 5k to my revolut card but keep getting insufficient funds despite funds been available.

I managed to transfer 2k but it won't allow me transfer any more.

I'm with permanent tsb using my debit card with revolut app.

Any ideas?

Hi guys looking to pay 12k sterling for a car next week.

Got funds from bank today.

Tried to transfer 5k to my revolut card but keep getting insufficient funds despite funds been available.

I managed to transfer 2k but it won't allow me transfer any more.

I'm with permanent tsb using my debit card with revolut app.

Any ideas?
    Get down to TSB in person asap, get it all transferred in one go, and make sure they treat it as a Euro to Euro transfer, not an international one just because the a/c has a UK sort code. TSB are the pits, I waited 4 days for a small €2k online transfer to reach my AIB account. It left my TSB account instantly, where was it for 4 days?.
    Poor time to be exchanging, £ is costing 15.5% right now, due to bump after brexit deal sucess. It might slip by Monday if the deal is rejected, no use to you if your € is on the TSB slow boat in limbo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

I am heading over to UK at the weekend to collect a car Ive bought.
    VRT appt already made for 31 Oct.
    I am a named driver on a family members car and drive a work wagon on a company policy.
    I took out a new policy on the new car on UK plates today, with AXA thru a broker.No problem
    However,all they have given me is a receipt with policy number on it.No docs til Irish plates are got.
    Worried about getting stopped, anyone any thoughts on this?
    Looked into getting temp UK insurance for the few hours from dealer to ferry, but need UK address/won't insure exports/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Don’t worry about insurance its normal practice. Just keep the email with policy number. At worst you will get a producer.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

Went to paynthe vrt last night and got hit for a fine. Had an appointment in Dundalk Sat week ago. Told I would have to wait for a price, and they were very busy so if I didn't hear for 5-6 days not to worry. Asked the guy did I need to worry about the 30 days and he said no, you're in the system now so your grand. Got a text on Monday to say they had a number and ring them. So called and got the figure and the woman said make sure to pay as soon as you can as the figures can change. So went o Northpoint last night to be told Monday was the 30 days and I was being fined €165. Not impressed.

So already wanting to appeal the amount, I now have to appeal the fine as well.

Word of warning for people.

deezell wrote: »
    Get down to TSB in person asap, get it all transferred in one go, and make sure they treat it as a Euro to Euro transfer, not an international one just because the a/c has a UK sort code. TSB are the pits, I waited 4 days for a small €2k online transfer to reach my AIB account. It left my TSB account instantly, where was it for 4 days?.
    Poor time to be exchanging, £ is costing 15.5% right now, due to bump after brexit deal sucess. It might slip by Monday if the deal is rejected, no use to you if your € is on the TSB slow boat in limbo.

Do I just need my revolut card and pin?

They can then transfer 15k onto the card in the branch?

Edit

Found my revolut Bic and iban

I assume I just give them this and tell them to transfer to this account?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Tiger72

Guys - know this might be a bit early , but if this Brexit deal goes through Saturday will there be VAT and or Excise Duty on vehicle imports on the 1st of November ? Or where can someone find out ?

Do I just need my revolut card and pin?

They can then transfer 15k onto the card in the branch?

Edit

Found my revolut Bic and iban

I assume I just give them this and tell them to transfer to this account?
    The IBAN is the one, but ask about transfer times, you should be ok for Monday if done tomorrow, they may offer urgent transfer for a fee, but it's Euro to Euro, Its inexcusable that this is not virtually instant. When transferring from Revolut, posters here are giving 10-15 minute transfer times, I'd really like to see how TSB fare on your transfer times. BTW, when it comes to paying for the car, if the dealer accepts payment by debit card on the machine, it's instant.
    Another tip, Revolut exchange rates add a small % fee if done at the weekend while the markets are closed to protect against currency speculation, so if you have your € in your revolut ac early enough tomorrow, change it to £ or else wait till Monday, if you think Brexit deal will fail Saturday and exchange rate might jump in your favour. Car importer and currency speculator, it's great craic!

The IBAN is the one, but ask about transfer times, you should be ok for Monday if done tomorrow, they may offer urgent transfer for a fee, but it's Euro to Euro, Its inexcusable that this is not virtually instant. When transferring from Revolut, posters here are giving 10-15 minute transfer times, I'd really like to see how TSB fare on your transfer times. BTW, when it comes to paying for the car, if the dealer accepts payment by debit card on the machine, it's instant.
    Another tip, Revolut exchange rates add a small % fee if done at the weekend while the markets are closed to protect against currency speculation, so if you have your € in your revolut ac early enough tomorrow, change it to £ or else wait till Monday, if you think Brexit deal will fail Saturday and exchange rate might jump in your favour. Car importer and currency speculator, it's great craic!

Interesting time to be buying ☺

Interesting time to be buying ☺
    Yes, timing is everything. 16% now for £. £14000 I paid in early August is costing a €1000 more today.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Chijj

Hi Folks,

Is the payment for VRT due on the same day as inspection or is Can it be paid on a later date?

Thanks

Chijj wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Is the payment for VRT due on the same day as inspection or is Can it be paid on a later date?

Thanks

I had thought day of inspection but was asked "if I wanted to pay now?". I assume no penalty up to the 30 days. Assessment was 250 lower, I paid and ran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

I had thought day of inspection but was asked "if I wanted to pay now?". I assume no penalty up to the 30 days. Assessment was 250 lower, I paid and ran.

You can pay it later but I suppose it depends on the amount. If its a few grand then you could just put it on a credit card there and then.

But iif the VRT is say 10k, then it'll give you a chance to organise finances - its one thing having the finances its another being able to use them, a 10k withdraw might alert the security team with your bank. For such a high amount probably better off finding out the exact amound due first and then getting a bank draft or similar.

Just done a finance check on car I am purchasing, is this unusual?

Attached images below

• Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Attached images below

Dont go ahead until that is cleared up.
    A phone car will often sort it as records mightvjust need to be updated.
    You sometimes see stocking finance which would just be the dealers bank but that looks like a full on finance deal registered against that car.

Both loan terms have expired, though that doesn't guarantee that all payments are made. The second one is a 5 month extension the 4 year first one, so there may still be arrears.

mickdw wrote: »
    Dont go ahead until that is cleared up.
    A phone car will often sort it as records mightvjust need to be updated.
    You sometimes see stocking finance which would just be the dealers bank but that looks like a full on finance deal registered against that car.
    Both loan terms have expired, though that doesn't guarantee that all payments are made. The second one is a 5 month extension the 4 year first one, so there may still be arrears.

Cheers lads,

Motorcheck.ie say they are contacting the banks for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭wassie

I've had that before. Was cleared within 1 working day.

But as posters above state - don't proceed until you have the all clear.

Got this response from motorcheck

"I note that the agreement was a 24 month agreement from Feb 2017 so it is likely to have expired and the record has just not been removed by the bank yet. Since you are buying from Agnews there is very little risk here. This is a large reputable dealer and it is extremely unlikely that they would sell a vehicle with finance outstanding. It is likely they have already verified the finance record so if you ask them and they tell you it’s clear then you can be confident in that. We will still carry out the verification on Monday and update you."

"We’ll also verify the second finance agreement on Monday.

However, please note that this particular finance agreement is a "Unit Stocking" agreement. This is a form of finance used by dealers to stock their forecourts. It would be common practice for a dealer to remove the vehicle from their stocking loan after it has been marked sold. So if this vehicle is currently for sale by Agnews it is likely that the Unit Stocking finance verification will come back as "Not Cleared" as its still on their stocking finance. This is nothing to worry about. If you go ahead with the purchase of this vehicle you can request verification that this agreement has been cleared within your report as many times as necessary. If for some reason the Unit Stocking agreement was not cleared after you purchase the agreement you would be entitled to return the vehicle. But it would be standard for the dealer to remove this when the vehicle is sold."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭kindalen

Any idea on how long transfer from AIB savings to revolut account takes? Euro to euro using IBAN and BIC. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

kindalen wrote: »
    Any idea on how long transfer from AIB savings to revolut account takes? Euro to euro using IBAN and BIC. Thanks.

It took me a little over 24 hours, but they also charged a fee of about €13, as even though it was Euros to Euros, Revolut’s Bank is in the UK, so they consider it an international transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭wassie

Got this response from motorcheck

"...Since you are buying from Agnews there is very little risk here. This is a large reputable dealer and it is extremely unlikely that they would sell a vehicle with finance outstanding. It is likely they have already verified the finance record so if you ask them and they tell you it’s clear then you can be confident in that. We will still carry out the verification on Monday and update you."

"We’ll also verify the second finance agreement on Monday.

However, please note that this particular finance agreement is a "Unit Stocking" agreement.... But it would be standard for the dealer to remove this when the vehicle is sold."

Sounds like you are not going to get a 100% clearance, but a high level of probability the vehicle will be unencumbered. You are probably going to have to decide if you feel you have enough level of certainty to proceed with the deal.

If the verification came through on Monday and the Unit Stocking agreement was with the dealer, I would probably be ok with that.

This is countered with my view that there will always be another car deal available. It can be difficult, but my suggestion is to take the emotion out of the decision and use your head to look at it rationally.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement