Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

deezell wrote: »
    Have you a link for this?
    Meantime DVLA will send out replacement V5C, they wont send a 'new' one with your details and non UK address. Contact them again, you're looking for the original in order to export, as per the new V5C rules. Send them scans of what you have, garage receipt etc. Expect to wait, probably past the 30 day limit. You'll pay VRT penalty of 0.1% per day of your assessed VRT. Your insurance might be withdrawn depending on your insurer. It's a big error tbh, and a Pita to resolve.

How many pages are in thus famous v5c cert? Collecting my car tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,765 ✭✭✭deezell

How many pages are in thus famous v5c cert? Collecting my car tomorrow.

Folded two page. This is page 2 and 3. Page two with the car details is the critical bit. Garages can detach the export slip Section 5 on page 3 to inform DVLA of export, hence no road tax due. Some dealers insist on keeping page 1/2 to protect identity on front page of previous owner. This is not correct. You absolutely need page 2. Don't take car without it. Dealer does not fill in section 3 when car is for export, as there will be NO new UK keeper.
    This is the latest version since May 2019. Older ones differ slightly .

V5c.jpg

Folded two page. This is page 2 and 3. Page two with the car details is the critical bit. Garages can detach the export slip Section 5 on page 3 to inform DVLA of export, hence no road tax due. Some dealers insist on keeping page 1/2 to protect identity on front page of previous owner. This is not correct. You absolutely need page 2. Don't take car without it. Dealer does not fill in section 3 when car is for export, as there will be NO new UK keeper.
    This is the latest version since May 2019. Older ones differ slightly .

V5c.jpg

Cheers deezell,

That clears that up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Perhaps someone can answer this for me, I'm a little confused about the NEDC and WLTP thing. If I bring in a car from the UK next year (Brexit dependant obviously), will VRT and subsequent motor tax rates be based on the CO2 emissions under the NEDC measurement or the WLTP measurement.

I'm potentially looking at a sub 2 year old petrol, and this would be a 4% diff in VRT and an additional 180eur motor tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

BTH wrote: »
    Perhaps someone can answer this for me, I'm a little confused about the NEDC and WLTP thing. If I bring in a car from the UK next year (Brexit dependant obviously), will VRT and subsequent motor tax rates be based on the CO2 emissions under the NEDC measurement or the WLTP measurement.

I'm potentially looking at a sub 2 year old petrol, and this would be a 4% diff in VRT and an additional 180eur motor tax.

Next year there will be an additional charge based on nox emissions as far as I know.

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »
    Next year there will be an additional charge based on nox emissions as far as I know.

I'm aware of that alright and struggling to find details of NOX on the engine I'm looking at but with it being a sub 2 year old petrol this should be minimal. The CO2 testing regime will have a much bigger influence in the cost.

Do I need a VAT number from dealership for VRTVP2 form?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

Nope not necessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I'm aware of that alright and struggling to find details of NOX on the engine I'm looking at but with it being a sub 2 year old petrol this should be minimal. The CO2 testing regime will have a much bigger influence in the cost.

The nox level will be on the v5.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The introduction of the WLTP emissions levels has been deferred and won't come in to play in 2020 for new cars in Ireland.

• Advertisement

R.O.R wrote: »
    The introduction of the WLTP emissions levels has been deferred and won't come in to play in 2020 for new cars in Ireland.

That's what I hoped to hear. Thanks.

Look up Nox here. Example is for 2018 model Mercedes C200 petrol. Nox of 50, which adds €250 to VRT.
    https://carfueldata.vehicle-certification-agency.gov.uk/search-new-or-used-cars.aspx?vid=865174

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

pablo128 wrote: »

How can you find out this charge. I’m wanting to bring in a car but not sure if I’ll have it managed before the new year.

Look up Nox here. Example is for 2018 model Mercedes C200 petrol. Nox of 50, which adds €250 to VRT.
    https://carfueldata.vehicle-certification-agency.gov.uk/search-new-or-used-cars.aspx?vid=865174

Yep, I've already checked there, no sign of what I'm looking for. It wouldn't be a particularly common or popular model option, especially for importing here.

Cheers for the help though.

Yep, I've already checked there, no sign of what I'm looking for. It wouldn't be a particularly common or popular model option, especially for importing here.

Cheers for the help though.

That's a UK link, so it wouldn't. matter if the car was not sold here. If it was ever sold in the UK, it should be there. What model exactly? There are websites which will retrieve a car model's " birth cert", with all the details including Nox. Not cheap, 160-200+ Euro fee.

That's a UK link, so it wouldn't. matter if the car was not sold here. If it was ever sold in the UK, it should be there. What model exactly? There are websites which will retrieve a car model's " birth cert", with all the details including Nox. Not cheap, 160-200+ Euro fee.

It's a 2.5l petrol Mazda 6. It's not there. Theres usually around 20 of them listed for sale on the usual UK sites but it's not listed on that link.

adam88 wrote: »
    How can you find out this charge. I’m wanting to bring in a car but not sure if I’ll have it managed before the new year.

Here for rates;
    https://www.vrt.ie/faq/changes-vrt-budget-2020/
    Here for Nox of any car reg'd in UK;
    https://carfueldata.vehicle-certification-agency.gov.uk/search-new-or-used-cars.aspx

Quite punitive, Nox of only 80 adds €600 VRT. SIMI shot themselves in the foot with this one. It's upped the price considerably of a whole raft of new cars from January.

It's a 2.5l petrol Mazda 6. It's not there. Theres usually around 20 of them listed for sale on the usual UK sites but it's not listed on that link.

It's there alright. Nox only 12, extra €60 On VRT

493743.jpg

Seems to be listed as Diesel, but the 2.5 GT is a petrol engined car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Here for rates;
    https://carfueldata.vehicle-certification-agency.gov.uk/search-new-or-used-cars.aspx

Quite punitive, Nox of only 80 adds €800 VRT. SIMI shot themselves in the foot with this one. It's upped the price considerably of a whole raft of new cars from January.

So the advice is if your bringing a car in bring it in before the new year ???

2019 gtd 2.0 is 63mg nox looks to be 345 extra. Does that sound rite ??

• Advertisement

adam88 wrote: »
    So the advice is if your bringing a car in bring it in before the new year ???

2019 gtd 2.0 is 63mg nox looks to be 345 extra. Does that sound rite ??

Yes, but CO2 VRT on diesels is dropping by the extra 1% added in previous budget. If the OMSP of what you're considering is ballpark 35,000, then reduction is 350, wjich is greater than Nox increase, so for anything with nearly new OMSP, the increase is small.

Seems to be listed as Diesel, but the 2.5 GT is a petrol engined car

And that would be why I couldn't find it. Thanks a mill for that. Now, just hope Brexit doesnt happen for another while yet.

Here for rates;

Quite punitive, Nox of only 80 adds €600 VRT. SIMI shot themselves in the foot with this one. It's upped the price considerably of a whole raft of new cars from January.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with this though. Yes, price of new cars will go up. Some more than others. But to import a similar almost new car will go up the same amount. People will still buy new cars. What this does do is kill off imports of older cars, 5year plus, giving a shot in the arm to that market here.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with this though. Yes, price of new cars will go up. Some more than others. But to import a similar almost new car will go up the same amount. People will still buy new cars. What this does do is kill off imports of older cars, 5year plus, giving a shot in the arm to that market here.

People sometimes forget that s significant portion of car owners can never afford new, it was always thus, and it's this group who are now going to find their €8-12,000 is suddenly buying cars older and in worse condition , due to the scarcity of decent used stock at remotely affordable prices. It will be a few years before the newer low Nox cars filter down into the mid life market, Brexit might have ruined imports by then. If you were around in the 70s trying to buy a used car you'd know what it was like to pay top money for little more than end of life junk. Only winners here are Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Can someone suggest best way to pay the car dealer? My friend & me thinking to travel next week to buy a 2017
    diesel Nissan x trail for him. The amount is £15k or 17500eur, Is there any means to pay money on the same day after viewing the car that day morning? Revolt card or transfer wise or any other....your recommendation please. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

peaceboi wrote: »
    Can someone suggest best way to pay the car dealer? My friend & me thinking to travel next week to buy a 2017
    diesel Nissan x trail for him. The amount is £15k or 17500eur, Is there any means to pay money on the same day after viewing the car that day morning? Revolt card or transfer wise or any other....your recommendation please. Thanks

I used currency fair for this. Took around 2hours for the payment to clear, although they did say when I rang them it could take between 2-6 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

peaceboi wrote: »

Revolut can take 15 minutes and in most cases, no more than a couple of hours, but the risk is, worst case, it could take up to 24 hours.

Enquire from the garage if can pay by direct debit card transaction on the terminal, rather than transfer. Revolut made for this, no practical transaction limit and it's instant. Some dealers might only accept VISA rather Than Mastercard, but some don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 stevedog

Is VRT inspection as thorough as NCT..ie do I need to completely empty boot etc?
    TIA

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'm looking at a 2018/2019 5008 Gt auto, but cant find it on the VRT calc.
    Is it really a case of just showing up with the car to find out the VRT?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement