Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,765 ✭✭✭deezell

stevedog wrote: »
    Is VRT inspection as thorough as NCT..ie do I need to completely empty boot etc?
    TIA

The only thing they look at is the milage on the clock, and a cursory glance to confirm the car and VIN is the one listed on the V5C.There's no mechanical inspection. Years ago they would be looking for optional extras, like climate control, leather, sun roofs, alloys instead of steel etc, and up the VRT. Nowadays that's all listed in the car model's database, and they can see at a glance what was standard for that car and what was added as an option.

I'm looking at a 2018/2019 5008 Gt auto, but cant find it on the VRT calc.
    Is it really a case of just showing up with the car to find out the VRT?

Stat code for 2019 petrol gt
    Stat code for 2019 diesel gt

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

I'm looking at a 2018/2019 5008 Gt auto, but cant find it on the VRT calc.
    Is it really a case of just showing up with the car to find out the VRT?

It should be, but mine was refered to revenue, and I have to wait up to 10 days.

VRT ballpark €6.1K for January 2019 petrol, about three hundred less for Diesel,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Picked up my Seat Ateca from Belfast yesterday in torrential rain.

Just want to thank everyone one here especially deezell and colm_mcm for helping me through the process.

Agnew Autoexchange were excellent to deal with.

Everything went well besides the Ateca not coming with a spare wheel but it seems I get buy one of them.

Now to try and get a VRT appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

deezell wrote: »
    Stat code for 2019 petrol gt
    Stat code for 2019 diesel gt

Dont suppose you have the 2 litre one handy?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

Very close to bringing in car from uk
    Quick question
    Can i get to pick from a list of reg numbers on a list? Or is it randomly assigned ?

Car i am looking at is a 162 640d msport gran coupe the vrt calculator has multiples of this model so have no exact vrt quote...

Anyway to be 99% sure of the price ?

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Next available number on used imports. You cannot reserve a number with used imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Guys, wondering if ye can advise, I’m looking to bring in a 2019 gtd. roughly about 23k stg. Put in the details into the vrt calculator and got a figure of about 4500. Sounds good and I’m happy with the total figures circa 31k euros.

My problem,,,,, on the vrt calculator the omsp is well well less than what they’re making here in Ireland. A new one is retailing about 48500. One with similar mileage to one I’m importing is about 42000. Could it be that revenue could be like “we made a mistake and were now using the higher figures to work out the vrt”

If the vrt figure is increased I’m gonna be in a spot of bother

Dont suppose you have the 2 litre one handy?

Newer blue 2l auto s/s diesel not listed, but it it has 125 or 129 emissions depending on wheels fitted, so the vrt will be calculated at 19% accordingly, at 18% from January plus Nox (29) of €145.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

adam88 wrote: »
    Guys, wondering if ye can advise, I’m looking to bring in a 2019 gtd. roughly about 23k stg. Put in the details into the vrt calculator and got a figure of about 4500. Sounds good and I’m happy with the total figures circa 31k euros.

My problem,,,,, on the vrt calculator the omsp is well well less than what they’re making here in Ireland. A new one is retailing about 48500. One with similar mileage to one I’m importing is about 42000. Could it be that revenue could be like “we made a mistake and were now using the higher figures to work out the vrt”

Definitely allow extra for an accurate calculation.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Definitely allow extra for an accurate calculation.

What has your experience been???
    If it’s more than 3-4 k extra it’s hardly worth my while bringing it over

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Make sure it has more than 6000km on the clock and over 6 months old, otherwise you will be stung for VAT also.

What has your experience been???
    If it’s more than 3-4 k extra it’s hardly worth my while bringing it over

Calculate a realistic OMSP and multiply by the VRT rate. I can’t see it being €4K extra, which would mean they’re valuing the car on the calculator at half it’s real value

Which car exactly? Do you have UK reg handy.

Which car exactly? Do you have UK reg handy.

Hey, thanks for you help,,,,Rite. Just picked this one as I’m looking at a few,,, PL19 NLV. All it says in the add is 2.0 GTI. On the revenue calculator there 7-8 options for the GTI in the drop down menu. Depending which version the vrt ranges from 4800 to 6400.

Is there any site that will tell you what version it is without having to ring the garage and ask specifically ???

Are you looking at GTI or GTD?

Also, that reg doesn’t work for me. Can you recheck

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Are you looking at GTI or GTD?

Also, that reg doesn’t work for me. Can you recheck

PL19 NLV

Gtd

PL19 NLV

Gtd

Should that read PJ19 NLV
    4 door blue 2.0 GTD, April 2019 reg, 8632 miles, 184 ps and emissions of 118gm

Now VRT site often has similar entries for the same car, so selecting the Model as Golf, Golf 2.0 or Golf Tdi may contain an existing reference to this car. It's important you get the exact model name from the V5C, as there can be substantial difference in OMSP, and hence VRT, depending on the stat code your car is described in. I've only been able to find the 118gm emissions under Golf Tdi model, but the only version defined there is the R line with VRT of €6278. Under model Golf 2.0 and Golf 2.0 Tdi there are 5 version definitions of GTD 5 door 184 PS, none of which are 118gm, the nearest is 127gm, which has 19% VRT of €5615, which would reduce to €5319 with emissions of 118gm, VRT rate of 18%. This will drop a further €296 In January, but will attract some Nox (62) charges of €330.

I'm a bit concerned with the vagueness of the application of the version names to these cars. The One you've picked is definitely 118gm emissions, yet all versions of 2.0 GTD on the revenue database are 122 or 127. Importantly, the DVLA data base defines 118 emissions versions of this car as all 150ps, not 183. The autotrader ad correctly gives the emissions of 118gm, but claims the power as 181hp, (183 ps), which seems to contradict the DVLA database
    Either way, that particular car should VRT at about €5300, before or after January, but I'd want to see how its version is described on the V5C form, as revenue might stick it under a different one altogether, such as the R line 150ps with VRT of €6278, 900 more than GTD version.
    Trust Golf to have the most labyrinthine model and version definitions in the revenue database, it seems full of contradictions.

Should that read PJ19 NLV
    4 door blue 2.0 GTD, April 2019 reg, 8632 miles, 184 ps and emissions of 118gm

Now VRT site often has similar entries for the same car, so selecting the Model as Golf, Golf 2.0 or Golf Tdi may contain an existing reference to this car. It's important you get the exact model name from the V5C, as there can be substantial difference in OMSP, and hence VRT, depending on the stat code your car is described in. I've only been able to find the 118gm emissions under Golf Tdi model, but the only version defined there is the R line with VRT of €6278. Under model Golf 2.0 and Golf 2.0 Tdi there are 5 version definitions of GTD 5 door 184 PS, none of which are 118gm, the nearest is 127gm, which has 19% VRT of €5615, which would reduce to €5319 with emissions of 118gm, VRT rate of 18%. This will drop a further €296 In January, but will attract some Nox (62) charges of €330.

I'm a bit concerned with the vagueness of the application of the version names to these cars. The One you've picked is definitely 118gm emissions, yet all versions of 2.0 GTD on the revenue database are 122 or 127. Importantly, the DVLA data base defines 118 emissions versions of this car as all 150ps, not 183. The autotrader ad correctly gives the emissions of 118gm, but claims the power as 181hp, (183 ps), which seems to contradict the DVLA database
    Either way, that particular car should VRT at about €5300, before or after January, but I'd want to see how its version is described on the V5C form, as revenue might stick it under a different one altogether, such as the R line 150ps with VRT of €6278, 900 more than GTD version.
    Trust Golf to have the most labyrinthine model and version definitions in the revenue database, it seems full of contradictions.

Thanks very much for a detailed response. Fair play,,,,,, I might pop the garage an email tomorrow and ask them to send me what it says in the v5c. If it is 118 gm and revenue attempt to charge me the higher rate can I appeal it????

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for a detailed response. Fair play,,,,,, I might pop the garage an email tomorrow and ask them to send me what it says in the v5c. If it is 118 gm and revenue attempt to charge me the higher rate can I appeal it????

They can't charge a higher rate, that's set at 18% by the 118 emissions, it's the OMSP they use that's a bit of an unknown. . I'd be more concerned about the lack of an existing definition of a GTD 184ps with those emissions. Unless the v5c clearly states GTD ( it's on the boot of the car in fairness), I'd be worried about which Golf Tdi OMSP they might use. You could badger them with a copy of the v5c to find out.

There are 4 versions labelled GTD 184BHP 5DR AUTO with new OMSP from 35k to 39.6k, none of which have 118gm emissions, so you could easily pay €6130 VRT if they chose the highest.

There are 4 versions labelled GTD 184BHP 5DR AUTO with new OMSP from 35k to 39.6k, none of which have 118gm emissions, so you could easily pay €6130 VRT if they chose the highest.

I’d be none the wiser and wouldn’t have a clue how to argue with them either regarding it.
    I’m trying to search if there’s any other version of the GTD but it seems to be a mass produced car with little to no options in the engines etc,,, I don’t know how they can have so many options.

What happens if they choose the highest one??? How do I get them to choose the lowest one,,,,,,

Doing the figures again the savings are getting smaller and smaller, especially when you add in flights, ferry maybe a hotel etc

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

I brought a car across last week, booked vrt before I left so have appt on 31st.
    They gave me v5c and invoice but no mot.its a sep 16 vehicle and was motd in august.details online ok.
    Seems like some people are getting away with prints and others not.
    if I need a copy from the DVLA will they post here tor should I be getting on to the dealer, its Carbase in Bristol.
    Or just go with a good quality print?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,349 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I brought a car across last week, booked vrt before I left so have appt on 31st.
    They gave me v5c and invoice but no mot.its a sep 16 vehicle and was motd in august.details online ok.
    Seems like some people are getting away with prints and others not.
    if I need a copy from the DVLA will they post here tor should I be getting on to the dealer, its Carbase in Bristol.
    Or just go with a good quality print?

Absolutely no point in looking for MOT cert; NCT not due until Sep 2020 (4th anniversary, not 3rd like U.K.) so Aug 2016 MOT will have expired!

I’d be none the wiser and wouldn’t have a clue how to argue with them either regarding it.
    I’m trying to search if there’s any other version of the GTD but it seems to be a mass produced car with little to no options in the engines etc,,, I don’t know how they can have so many options.

What happens if they choose the highest one??? How do I get them to choose the lowest one,,,,,,

Doing the figures again the savings are getting smaller and smaller, especially when you add in flights, ferry maybe a hotel etc

Tbh saviings will always be marginal on a popular virtually new car, as used prices in the UK will be close to new. If Sterling is recovering, currently costing 16%, that eats into this difference. The real savings were to he made on 3 and 4 year old ex business or fleet, well equipped passats, c and e class. Audis 4 and 6 etc, which are end of manufacturers warranty in the UK. These forecourt at ridiculous prices in main dealers here, or did until we all got the hang of bringing in our own. You're either trying to save a good few grand or trying to get a fully loaded pristine example for a fair price. The dealers import too, but some of the examples I've seen on their forecourts are shocking. High mileage, knocked about and unloved, valeted and touched up to cover up their origins.
    No doubt if you present with a car for which there is not an exact statistical code, they will hold on the valuation until they can match the car to an equivalent here. They will compare the equipment spec, e.g., comfortline , Higline or whatever the manufacturer chooses to designate equipment levels. This usually is straight forward. Try esablishing this yourself, find the exact list price of the car here, and use the full new OMSP to determine the reduced OMSP according to depreciation rules. For April 2019 it's 14%, so new list price by 86% depreciation by 18% VRT, that's how its done, and for a car this new and so popular either side of the pond, don't expect huge savings relative to the outlay.
    It doesnt always pay to import. My 2015 3l A6 Quattro was un-importable with the ridiculous OMSP and thus VRT being sought, yet these cars depreciate hugely here, so I bought here for a bargain from a main dealers with a 2 year warranty. Happy days
    I'll have poke in the VW configurator, see if I can come up with the current new OMSP for that UK car, using it's option list. Try this yourself also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Marcusm wrote: »
    Absolutely no point in looking for MOT cert; NCT not due until Sep 2020 (4th anniversary, not 3rd like U.K.) so Aug 2016 MOT will have expired!

i think he means MoTd in august this year (at three yrs old) but as you say, not due NCT until 4 yrs old so no point

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

The vehicle Mot was renewed in August.
    So V5c etc is enough then.Dont need Mot cert at all?

The vehicle Mot was renewed in August.
    So V5c etc is enough then.Dont need Mot cert at all?

It's never needed. At most it can get you the residual validity post 4 years old car as a short term NCT, 10 or eleven months by the time you reg car if the MOT was fresh and car is 4 yo. Not worth the bother, get NCT done per Irish rules, 4 years from UK new reg date, valid for 2 years. It might pick up some warranty issues if you have an extended UK valid warranty.

• Advertisement

Tbh saviings will always be marginal on a popular virtually new car, as used prices in the UK will be close to new. If Sterling is recovering, currently costing 16%, that eats into this difference. The real savings were to he made on 3 and 4 year old ex business or fleet, well equipped passats, c and e class. Audis 4 and 6 etc, which are end of manufacturers warranty in the UK. These forecourt at ridiculous prices in main dealers here, or did until we all got the hang of bringing in our own. You're either trying to save a good few grand or trying to get a fully loaded pristine example for a fair price. The dealers import too, but some of the examples I've seen on their forecourts are shocking. High mileage, knocked about and unloved, valeted and touched up to cover up their origins.
    No doubt if you present with a car for which there is not an exact statistical code, they will hold on the valuation until they can match the car to an equivalent here. They will compare the equipment spec, e.g., comfortline , Higline or whatever the manufacturer chooses to designate equipment levels. This usually is straight forward. Try esablishing this yourself, find the exact list price of the car here, and use the full new OMSP to determine the reduced OMSP according to depreciation rules. For April 2019 it's 14%, so new list price by 86% depreciation by 18% VRT, that's how its done, and for a car this new and so popular either side of the pond, don't expect huge savings relative to the outlay.
    It doesnt always pay to import. My 2015 3l A6 Quattro was un-importable with the ridiculous OMSP and thus VRT being sought, yet these cars depreciate hugely here, so I bought here for a bargain from a main dealers with a 2 year warranty. Happy days
    I'll have poke in the VW configurator, see if I can come up with the current new OMSP for that UK car, using it's option list. Try this yourself also.

Fair play for the advice. This is why I love boards. Top job.
    Punched a few figures last nite. I’d be saving a hell of a lot more going 2017. Spec is the same

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement