Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 scootie doo

Happened to one of the lads a few years ago, nightmare to sort out.

How did your buddy manage to get a V5C?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

How did your buddy manage to get a V5C?

I think he had to phone/write to UK vehicle licensing authority, took weeks to get it anyway that's all I remember. I'll ask him tomorrow if I think of it.

UK vehicle licensing authority

I think he had to phone/write to UK vehicle licensing authority, took weeks to get it anyway that's all I remember. I'll ask him tomorrow if I think of it.

Thanks, it would be great to know how somebody managed to work through this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Gave an Irish address, but I read elsewhere that the DVLA will forward the orignal V5C stating that they can't register to a non UK address and requesting that section 11 be returned to them.

Interesting. Didn't know that. :)

benifa wrote: »
    Interesting. Didn't know that. :)

" I bought a 92 TDM850 on eBay a few weeks ago. Seller wasn't comfortable (rightly so) handing me the entire V5C so he proceeded as if I were a UK resident and gave me secton 10 and sent off the V5C to Swansea. I just got the same V5C posted to me by DVLA yesterday, noting the bike had been sold and was now mine but (naturally) claiming they could not add my details to their database as I do not reside in Britain and that the V5C is a 'euro-friendly' dcument and should enable me to register the bike with my own licencing authority, which of course it will. It just takes about 2 weeks to get the V5C from DVLA as long as the seller sends it in right away (which my gentleman seller did)."

Excerpt from a contribution to Irish Biker Forum

http://www.irishbikerforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3473&st=20&p=38716&#entry38716

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Just wondering if there are any companies / individuals who will travel to the UK and bring back a car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 killesterman

Yep I have done it a couple times am available or if you need any advice I am ex motor trade so if you want it just takes one day fly out early morning collect and drive to the ferry catch the 15.15 ferry holyhead to Dunlaoghire my prefered.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just wondering if there are any companies / individuals who will travel to the UK and bring back a car?
    See this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055295779

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Travelled to the UK to bring back a Saab Convertible about a week ago - seller sold as if a normal UK sale, didn't have the right sections for VRT from the DVLA. Sent away to them for a cert of export - will take 2-4 weeks. This was last monday.

Fastforward to today - the day before D day... I've now got a car sitting outside with UK plates, waiting on paperwork, and am going to have to pay 36% rather than 30% because the CO2 is 225 on the dot...
    Thankfully it's a 98 so according to the VRT lads she's worth shag all anyway. :D

Edit: Look at ros.ie - they've updated the system in preperation for tomorrow! Still going on old rates until then I see, but yeah..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ New 'minimum amount payable' could be up to €720 though!

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

Permanent TSB are telling me it will take 5 working days to clear a draft in the UK.. are there any alternative ways in paying the dealer? IE, 4-5 hours?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

lordlame wrote: »
    Permanent TSB are telling me it will take 5 working days to clear a draft in the UK.. are there any alternative ways in paying the dealer? IE, 4-5 hours?

EFT Bank transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

www.currency.ie

currency.ie can do same day transactions to sterling accounts and they offer great rates. You'll need to have registered yourself with them first which for me involved dropping into their Dame street office with my passport. The transfer of funds from my PTSB account to currency.ie took only minutes. It then took half a day for the money to be wired accross to my Dealer's account.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

smccarrick wrote: »
    EFT Bank transfer.

Same thing, they said 3-5 working days which I thought was wrong. I had this problem with selling my car last week too. Buyer just ended up giving me the cash.

I'll pop into Dame St later, cheers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Same thing, they said 3-5 working days which I thought was wrong. I had this problem with selling my car last week too. Buyer just ended up giving me the cash.

I'll pop into Dame St later, cheers.

Bank of Ireland did a transfer for me a few months back, it took just under 4 hours to clear. Then again Citibank took almost 2 weeks (it was at Christmas though- but thats no excuse).......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jgd

As regards VAT
    If car is 7 months old but has less than 6000kms is VAT payable

• Registered Users Posts: 33,940 ✭✭✭✭listermint

(3) You will have to pay VAT on all cars under 6 mths old or less than 6,000kms even if they are from within the EU.

(From top of thread)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jgd

Thanks Lasermint
    But the VRT 1 guide states that if its less than 6 months OR has travelled 6000kms or less then VAT is payable
    It does not say AND.
    Therefore if 7 months old and less than 6000kms then surely VAT is not payable.???

• Registered Users Posts: 33,940 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I would take it that VRT is payable. Alternatively you could drive it around ireland and hike up the mileage;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

jgd wrote: »
    Thanks Lasermint
    But the VRT 1 guide states that if its less than 6 months OR has travelled 6000kms or less then VAT is payable
    It does not say AND.
    Therefore if 7 months old and less than 6000kms then surely VAT is not payable.???

You just answered your own question. If either side of the OR statement is true then the result is true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cooper38

Hi Robbie
    www.Currency.ie do transfers same day. They need id faxed to them if the amount is over 13k, if not you can just call and book the rate with them and dont need id

jgd wrote: »
    As regards VAT
    If car is 7 months old but has less than 6000kms is VAT payable

Yes.

cooper38 wrote: »
    Hi Robbie
    www.Currency.ie do transfers same day. They need id faxed to them if the amount is over 13k, if not you can just call and book the rate with them and dont need id

That's what I was told as well. The €13k threshold was something to do with money laundering legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

I brought a car in last week, first registered in February 2003 in the UK. MOT is current (presumably irrelevant).

The car is now taxed until July 2009, but what is the situation re NCT test? I'm a nordie and have never had the pleasure of undergoing one of these, will someone notify me when the vehicle is due an NCT?
    Could the following possibly be true:
    I have to organise to have the NCT done forthwith, and then because my car's birth date is Feb 2003, and despite having an NCT stating that my car is roadworthy for 2 years, I have to apply for another NCT in February 2009?

Is there any way around this if it is indeed the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 aqwert

"Thankfully it's a 98 so according to the VRT lads she's worth shag all anyway."

I enquired with the revenue a while back about VRT rates on a 1993 Saab convertible as you can't get them from the online calculator and this was their reply:

"Vrt at a rate of 30% will be charged on one of the following values depending on the condition of the vehicle, A( pristine) 7250 B(average) 6000 or C(bad) 4250."

What value did they put on your 98 Saab?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cardummy

Hi All.
    Any ideas on where to start looking for companies that do conversions of cars from left hand drive to right?
    Any tips would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    I brought a car in last week, first registered in February 2003 in the UK. MOT is current (presumably irrelevant).

The car is now taxed until July 2009, but what is the situation re NCT test? I'm a nordie and have never had the pleasure of undergoing one of these, will someone notify me when the vehicle is due an NCT?
    Could the following possibly be true:
    I have to organise to have the NCT done forthwith, and then because my car's birth date is Feb 2003, and despite having an NCT stating that my car is roadworthy for 2 years, I have to apply for another NCT in February 2009?

Is there any way around this if it is indeed the case?

All info available here http://www.ncts.ie/faq.html#16

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

cardummy wrote: »
    Hi All.
    Any ideas on where to start looking for companies that do conversions of cars from left hand drive to right?
    Any tips would be appreciated.

You're not serious?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

lynchie wrote: »
    All info available here http://www.ncts.ie/faq.html#16

Thanks for that, I don't understand the logic at all though, it seems to be totally illogical - what if I don't get an NCT done until the actual birthdate of the car, ie February next year, will that kill the two birds with the one stone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cooper38

Hey
    You can use autoline sales, ask for richard. Theyre in Kildare

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement