Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You have to make the booking within 7 days but the appointment date itself doesn't have to be within the 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭rodge123

bazz26 wrote: »
    You have to make the booking within 7 days but the appointment date itself doesn't have to be within the 7 days.

Ahhhhhhh right thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

User1998 wrote: »
    Make sure the price includes vat, usually their prices are ex vat so €500?

Yep 350 plus the VAT which is a no brainer..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,655 ✭✭✭User1998

Truckermal wrote: »
    Yep 350 plus the VAT which is a no brainer..

Very good price

• Registered Users Posts: 5 karl1973

Hi all

Im picking up a march 2018 diesel xc60 on this Sat 16-11-2019, with 7144miles, the co2 emmisions are 148kg the stat code on the vrt website is 48186835.

The vrt charge today is €10477

I have made an appointment in Greenhills for the end of nov for vrt inspection.

My question is which has just occurred to me , if it possible to change the vrt inspection to jan 2020 what would the vrt cost be.?

As the car is another year older in jan and the vrt is 1% less but the nox kicks inn.

Anyone know what the new vrt cost would be?

Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

How would that work with the car showing as being in the country since 16/11? You have to complete the VRT process within 30 days of bringing the car into the country unless the NCT cannot provide you with an inspection appointment within that 30 days.

If you want to VRT it in January then best bring the car in late December onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

karl1973 wrote: »
    Hi all

Im picking up a march 2018 diesel xc60 on this Sat 16-11-2019, with 7144miles, the co2 emmisions are 148kg the stat code on the vrt website is 48186835.

My question is which has just occurred to me , if it possible to change the vrt inspection to jan 2020 what would the vrt cost be.?

As the car is another year older in jan and the vrt is 1% less but the nox kicks inn.

Many thanks
    Won’t you get walloped for nox tax if you leave it til January?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Hi all

Many thanks

You'll incur late payment penalties of about €10 per day plus the Nox charge. No one can tell you what the VRT will be a few weeks from now, The OMSP may not change much or until late January.

michellie wrote: »
    You'll incur late payment penalties of about €10 per day plus the Nox charge. No one can tell you what the VRT will be a few weeks from now, The OMSP may not change much or until late January.

Any idea on what the Nox charge will be or how will it be calculated? I'm bringing in a car next week but I booked the appointment 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,765 ✭✭✭deezell

Hi all

Many thanks

Nox emissions on this 53, so Nox Tax €265, probably less than 1% VRT decrease, but there's 0.1% VRT , about €10 day for delayed inspection, from date if import I read recently, not over the excess over 30 days, so you're looking at €500 penalty unless you park it up in UK till Jan.

• Advertisement

deezell wrote: »
    Nox emissions on this 53, so Nox Tax €265, probably less than 1% VRT decrease, but there's 0.1% VRT , about €10 day for delayed inspection, from date if import I read recently, not over the excess over 30 days, so you're looking at €500 penalty unless you park it up in UK till Jan.

Nox Tax on a A6 is 55. I purchased one this week would it save ne money by leaving it in the UK until January?

Truckermal wrote: »
    Nox Tax on a A6 is 55. I purchased one this week would it save ne money by leaving it in the UK until January?

Nox is €5/mg up to 60, next 20 €15, 80 upwards €25/ mg.
    Look up your Car's Nox on the DVLA emissions site

Late inspection penalty is 0.1% of the total VRT, per day from date of import if your inspection is not done within 30 days. On a VRT bill of €10,000, this is €10 per day. If you delay inspection till January, you're looking at 50 odd days since import, so about €500 penalty. I had thought it was for each day over the 30, but then I read it was each day since import. I'll have to check this again, I'd like to think it was days over the 30, I'll have a re read of VRT manual.

Nox is €5/mg up to 60, next 20 €15, 80 upwards €25/ mg.
    Look up your Car's Nox on the DVLA emissions site

Late inspection penalty is 0.1% of the total VRT, per day from date of import if your inspection is not done within 30 days. On a VRT bill of €10,000, this is €10 per day. If you delay inspection till January, you're looking at 50 odd days since import, so about €500 penalty. I had thought it was for each day over the 30, but then I read it was each day since import. I'll have to check this again, I'd like to think it was days over the 30, I'll have a re read of VRT manual.

My Nox is 55 but I can leave the car over and import it in January.

Have my V5C and invoice from dealer for VRT inspection.
    I need certificate of conformity also?

Need to double check documents I got with car, what does this look like?
    Dealer should be able to provide to me via email if dont have it?

rodge123 wrote: »
    Have my V5C and invoice from dealer for VRT inspection.
    I need certificate of conformity also?

Need to double check documents I got with car, what does this look like?
    Dealer should be able to provide to me via email if dont have it?

You don't need a separate CoC for used car from UK. It's generic CoC approval type is listed on the V5C.

You don't need a separate CoC for used car from UK. It's generic CoC approval type is listed on the V5C.

One last question, have it booked in for Naas.
    Lady mentioned must have section 1 - 8 of V5C, no exceptions.

There was definitely one section torn out, cant remember which one and in work now so will have to wait until later!

Dont suppose any idea what setion a main dealer might have removed? (Was a demo car).

One last question, have it booked in for Naas.
    Lady mentioned must have section 1 - 8 of V5C, no exceptions.

There was definitely one section torn out, cant remember which one and in work now so will have to wait until later!

Dont suppose any idea what setion a main dealer might have removed? (Was a demo car).

The front page is the one you need, the section with all the car details. Without this you're a dead duck!!! Haha, sorry to make you ill with worry. Dealer most likely tore out the export slip from the second page, but I've seen the front page removed literally at the last minute unbeknowst to us by the saleman as he packed documents in an envelope, and only copped it at home despite having had the entire V5C in our mits. Sickening.

The front page is the one you need, the section with all the car details. Without this you're a dead duck!!! Haha, sorry to make you ill with worry. Dealer most likely tore out the export slip from the second page, but I've seen the front page removed literally at the last minute unbeknowst to us by the saleman as he packed documents in an envelope, and only copped it at home despite having had the entire V5C in our mits. Sickening.

Yeah think it was a section on second sheet that is missing, Jesus I’ll get no work done today worrying about it! 😄

Yeah think it was a section on second sheet that is missing, Jesus I’ll get no work done today worrying about it! ��

Sorry for wrecking your head. And your wan is not strictly correct to say they need all those section. The old v5c had up to section 8 on the front page, so what she's really saying is the front page, like this;

v5c_large.JPG

The new V5C is different, any car reg'd or issued a new look cert will have this on page 2;

New-V5C-page-2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

slipperyox wrote: »
    Mot to nct

do they accept the online print your own copy of the mot?
    or do they want an original?

I used a copy that I got stamped in a garda station to confirm authentic. I had the uk mot.gov website with the car details entered and told the garda, he was happy to stamp it. I stamped it based on a previous post on this thread, I didn't want any hassle at all in the VRT office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

At €37 for a pair of standard plates, I don't think so. €20 for a pair over the counter at my local autoparts in Clane. Online not always the best value.
    You've to get the plates yourself. Halfords do them but these guys are recommended as the best and cheapest:

https://www.eireplates.com/

Just don't go for any of the German font stuff which could cause NCT issues.

Standard steel pressed best option:

https://www.eireplates.com/product/nct-standard-black-irish-font-on-white-plate-single

Getting a fixing kit too:

https://www.eireplates.com/product/numberplate-screws

The adhesives don't last in my experience.

The girl in the VRT office asked me if I wanted plates for €25. I said yes thank you very much, acrylic obviously. She even gave a load of stickers to mount them, so I drove out of the VRT office with the new plates on the car. That was Northpoint in Ballymun

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Halfords won’t do plates without a VRC.

Sorry for wrecking your head. And your wan is not strictly correct to say they need all those section. The old v5c had up to section 8 on the front page, so what she's really saying is the front page, like this;

v5c_large.JPG

The new V5C is different, any car reg'd or issued a new look cert will have this on page 2;

New-V5C-page-2.png

Panic over, it’s section 9 on second page missing, probably the export one like you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

Qq guys when Paying the vrt cost on the day or can you transfer the money after the assessment date ? I have a max transaction limit and i will hit it with this vrt cost.

any infor would be great

Qq guys when Paying the vrt cost on the day or can you transfer the money after the assessment date ? I have a max transaction limit and i will hit it with this vrt cost.

any infor would be great

You don't have to pay on the day. You can go back another time within the 30 days.

You could get a bank draft for some of it and the balance by card though if you wanted to get it finished on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

any infor would be great

You can spread payment across cars too if you have more than one.

Can you pay by bank transfer?

You can spread payment across cars too if you have more than one.

Cards or cars :-)

Can you pay by bank transfer?

Dont know the price yet... dont believe the inline calculator

• Advertisement

You can't pay by bank transfer.

Why don't you believe it Danielle?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement