Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

michellie wrote: »
    You can't pay by bank transfer.

Why don't you believe it Danielle?

The omsp is way off

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Mynameistom

deezell wrote: »
    From the month you pay the VRT in. You can tax it about two working days after you pay VRT, online using last digits of VIN as PIN.
    Date of import on the ferry ticket should do if you leave it in UK. You could then delay VRT appointment till January, the VRT might be less as it's another years depreciation, VRT rate on diesels drop by 1%, but Nox charge kicks in

Are these Nox charges definitely coming in ?

I rang revenue yesterday and was told they haven't been told anything yet....

And in relation to VRT possibly dropping he said it won't drop because it's based on emissions 🀔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Are these Nox charges definitely coming in ?

I rang revenue yesterday and was told they haven't been told anything yet....

And in relation to VRT possibly dropping he said it won't drop because it's based on emissions 🀔

I'm guessing you were talking to someone who has nothing to do with VRT.

The NOx charges are coming in, the VRT calculator will be updated with the NOx calculator but it wont be ready in January.

VRT for diesel cars will be dropping the 1% it increased from a previous budget January 1st.

The omsp is way off

Oh definitely appeal after you pay so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭wassie

Just received my advice from Revenue that my latest VRT appeal was successful. In my experience, provided your claim is reasonable and supported by evidence, it wont be refused.

• Advertisement

Oh definitely appeal after you pay so

going to try and appeal before i pay :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭wassie

"Computer says no"

wassie wrote: »
    "Computer says no"

:D

also going to try and pick out my reg ;-)

You can't, it doesn't work like that

Also, nope. Its the next available one.

• Advertisement

wassie wrote: »
    Just received my advice from Revenue that my latest VRT appeal was successful. In my experience, provided your claim is reasonable and supported by evidence, it wont be refused.

Nice one!

I'm guessing you were talking to someone who has nothing to do with VRT.

The NOx charges are coming in, the VRT calculator will be updated with the NOx calculator but it wont be ready in January.

VRT for diesel cars will be dropping the 1% it increased from a previous budget January 1st.

Thanks
    How much will it cost if Nox is 139 ?

Thanks
    How much will it cost if Nox is 139 ?

The first 0-60 mg/km =€5

The next 20 mg/km or part thereof up to 80 mg/km=€15

The remainder above 80 mg/km =€25

So €2075 (assuming its deisel) if its petrol theres a cap of €600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,282 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You have to pay the quoted amount first before you can make an appeal.

Nope, you can only do that with brand new cars and it costs €1000.

The first 0-60 mg/km =€5

The next 20 mg/km or part thereof up to 80 mg/km=€15

The remainder above 80 mg/km =€25

So €2075 (assuming its deisel) if its petrol theres a cap of €600

Thanks michellie,

Yep it's a 64 plate 1.7 ix35 diesel. So that's on top of the €3,160 figure the ros vrt calculator gives ?

Thanks michellie,

Yep it's a 64 plate 1.7 ix35 diesel. So that's on top of the €3,160 figure the ros vrt calculator gives ?

Yea, in and around that, there will be the 1% decrease for diesel cars plus the OMSP should drop a bit (ideally, sometimes it doesnt)in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lfbmick

Hi,
    I'm looking to bring audi a6 2015 2ltr diesel s line from north before end of this year. Can anybody tell me, if the car will be in the country before 1 of January 2020 but will not get VRT apointment till later next year, do I need to pay NOX tax ?
    Also how much is the NOX tax on 2015 audi a6 2 ltr diesel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

lfbmick wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm looking to bring audi a6 2015 2ltr diesel s line from north before end of this year. Can anybody tell me, if the car will be in the country before 1 of January 2020 but will not get VRT apointment till later next year, do I need to pay NOX tax ?

You can book a VRT appointment now once you have the reg number in fact any reg number will do.. A 190 Ultra will be about 270 Euros..

lfbmick wrote: »
    Hi,

If you want to avoid the NOx charge book an appointment and pay before January 1st. It doesn't matter when the car comes into the country that charge is in effect from that date.

This goes for any vehicle that may be sent to revenue for valuation(higher end stuff under 2 years old) or if there are no STAT codes. If you bring the car in to be inspected late December and don't pay until January 1st you will pay NOx too.

I brought it up with Revenue last month as I find it unfair but there is no leeway

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lfbmick

If you want to avoid the NOx charge book an appointment and pay before January 1st. It doesn't matter when the car comes into the country that charge is in effect from that date.

This goes for any vehicle that may be sent to revenue for valuation(higher end stuff under 2 years old) or if there are no STAT codes. If you bring the car in to be inspected late December and don't pay until January 1st you will pay NOx too.

I brought it up with Revenue last month as I find it unfair but there is no leeway

I just ran the numbers. VRT works out at 4065 if I get done before January 1. If I get VRT after January 1 ill pay extra 256 but VRT will be 1 % less and OMSP will drop to? So could work out cheaper to import after January 1 2020 even with added nox tax?
    Do I understand this correctly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You must have spoken to a moron who doesn’t understand how the law is set out. The VRT is, by law, based on the importation date not the presentation date. Of course, they will probably miss that subtlety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Marcusm wrote: »
    You must have spoken to a moron who doesn’t understand how the law is set out. The VRT is, by law, based on the importation date not the presentation date. Of course, they will probably miss that subtlety.

That poster works in a vrt centre I believe. I would be inclined to take her word for it.

Yea, in and around that, there will be the 1% decrease for diesel cars plus the OMSP should drop a bit (ideally, sometimes it doesnt)in January.

If that's the case I better pay the Vrt before end of December so unless I want to pay over €2000 extra. Would that be the case ?

Marcusm wrote: »

Take it up with dublin castle ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's the way it is, like it or not. But I am warning people so they don't get caught out. It's best people are aware of this, as no one wants to get stung for extra money, not you and not the VRT admin who has to take the **** from the customers

If that's the case I better pay the Vrt before end of December so unless I want to pay over €2000 extra. Would that be the case ?

Absolutely!

pablo128 wrote: »
    That poster works in a vrt centre I believe. I would be inclined to take her word for it.

They might very well do in which case they would not have involvement in the technical aspects of VRT and the cited Revenue official seems not to know the law either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,431 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Whats the delay in getting an appointment now for vrt in general?

Is the phev rebate as it stands disappearing in January?

When you say 1% decrease is this on whatever they charge for VRT ?

And how much should the OMSP drop by ?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User1998

mickdw wrote: »
    Whats the delay in getting an appointment now for vrt in general?

Is the phev rebate as it stands disappearing in January?

Dublin is about a 3 week wait, rebate ends in January 2021

• Advertisement

Take it up with dublin castle ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's the way it is, like it or not. But I am warning people so they don't get caught out. It's best people are aware of this, as no one wants to get stung for extra money, not you and not the VRT admin who has to take the **** from the customers

It would not even be sustained on appeal to Revenue itself. I find it hard to believe that they would issue such an idiotic instruction. It’s actually misfeasance in public office if they have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement