Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

rodge123 wrote: »
    Have VRT appointment this Saturday morning, will they supply and fit license plate? Would I be better off getting elsewhere?

Have a mixture of white/black/yellow screw caps on it currently due to UK plate at back.

Not all centres do plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭rodge123

So it turns out I'll have to wait for revenue to contact me with the invoice within 10 days. Submitted all my docs at VRT center and lad said that they no longer take payment there and then for cars less than 16 months old.....that revenue want to verify them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That's normal for fairly new cars especially from the premium brands. They may come back with extra VRT due on any factory extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

madds wrote: »
    I see, so the difference I'm seeing between the VRT I've paid and that paid by my mate can be explained by higher OMSP caused by the lower emissions in my car. Fair enough, no point appealing so. Thanks again.

If you think the OMSP is too high you should appeal regardless of the emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭wassie

Marcusm wrote: »
    Car supermarkets generally price at their price with no movement. Main dealers generally have scope for max movement of 500 or so unless you can show it’s way off market price. U.K. market is different to here, lots of dealer chains, lots of people willing to buy at distance. If you price away from the real price you get no interest whatsoever.

I'd agree with this also IMHO. They price to the market, however the flipside is cars I've been watching did have the price lowered if they weren't moving after a few weeks in order to get them off the lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well I went to within 600 of asking on UK 530e and he refused to move whatsoever so no deal for now on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

mickdw wrote: »
    Bmw main dealer.
    It's kind of wrong to just give them what they ask. I fully expected an email saying he couldn't do it but would look at a few hundred or something like that.
    I rang them, had a chat about car. Got him to send on spec and some other info. I then politely followed with an offer 1k under with deposit immediately subject to travelling early next week. No reply.

Just bought a 530e last week from a Main dealer got nothing off the price. However the dealer I went with was excellent. Pm me if you want details

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Has anyone got any long term experience with 530e?

I’ve heard of people trading them in not long after buying them, very hard on tyres and fuel economy not great bar the battery, obviously.

I was curious if one would suit my father.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭deezell

IdHidden wrote: »
    Just bought a 530e last week from a Main dealer got nothing off the price. However the dealer I went with was excellent. Pm me if you want details

If you are buying a car with an extended warranty over and above the manufacturer's original expired warranty, check with the dealer if it's valid on export. It most likely isn't, unlike eu manufacturer's warranty. For example, Mercedes own UK extended warranty doesn't travel, unless car stays reg'd in UK. In this case you can get a discount for the amount the dealer has paid, could be up to £300 or more. If he says the warranty is good in ROI and NI, check the warranty booklet T&Cs. This is about as good as it gets with discounts on priced to sell cars.

So finally got the VRT bill for Audi A6 after getting email from NCTS to call them for it, roughly what I expected at 8,135.

Can I just go back to Naas NCT center and pay without any appointment now?

• Advertisement

So finally got the VRT bill for Audi A6 after getting email from NCTS to call them for it, roughly what I expected at 8,135.

Yes, you'll be able to get plates and tax it from December. So it cost you all told about €45,000? Were there significant extras above the general spec. Self parking, cooled seats, electric steering column, stuff like that? That's what makes importing worth it, if you can get 6-7k of options for the standard model price, though there's not much wanting in a 2019 A6, it's still possible to buy at a level which leaves you wanting more.

deezell wrote: »
    Yes, you'll be able to get plates and tax it from December. So it cost you all told about €45,000? Were there significant extras above the general spec. Self parking, cooled seats, electric steering column, stuff like that? That's what makes importing worth it, if you can get 6-7k of options for the standard model price, though there's not much wanting in a 2019 A6, it's still possible to buy at a level which leaves you wanting more.

I’ll be able to tax it in naas nct too? Or do I have to go to my local tax office in meath and present some f100 form?

Yeah, €45,000 total in the end.
    Tech pack, comfort and sound pack (360, B&O, keyless), heated seats, extended led pack, fine napa leather seats, flat bottom steering wheel, folding/dimming/heated mirrors.

Most ones in Ireland didn’t have a lot of that stuff plus they were still a little dearer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

You can tax it the day after you pay the vrt, and you can pay the tax online using the last 6 digits of the chassis no. as your pin.

pablo128 wrote: »
    You can tax it the day after you pay the vrt, and you can pay the tax online using the last 6 digits of the chassis no. as your pin.

Do I not have to submit an F100 form? See attached screenshot.
    Maybe that's just for brand new vehicles bought in Ireland?

496813.JPG

You can tax the car online the day after VRTing it using the last 6 or 7 digits of the car's VIN as the PIN for the motortax website. With brand new cars or newly registered imports, the new logbook will not be issued until the car if first taxed. Once you tax it then the logbook will automatically be posted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

There is a two hour window that they don't like "callbacks" (calling to pay without an appointment). I'm almost sure it's between 12pm and 2pm.

There is a two hour window that they don't like "callbacks" (calling to pay without an appointment). I'm almost sure it's between 12pm and 2pm.

Just called them and they confirmed that, thanks.
    She also mentioned my price could go up or down from the price I was told today!

I’ll be able to tax it in naas nct too? Or do I have to go to my local tax office in meath and present some f100 form?

Yeah, €45,000 total in the end.
    Tech pack, comfort and sound pack (360, B&O, keyless), heated seats, extended led pack, fine napa leather seats, flat bottom steering wheel, folding/dimming/heated mirrors.

Most ones in Ireland didn’t have a lot of that stuff plus they were still a little dearer!

Tech pack and real leather definitely worth about 4.5k, B&O upgrade over a grand, but much more with the pack. Heated seats standard at this stage, but electric adjustment is extra.
    You can register your car on myaudi.ie, using the vin number, ( wait till you get the cert, so it's shows as in your name, just in case). All your service history will show here, but you will also get a full list of what was standard for your model, ( s line?), and what were factory options. You'll get a real value on the car then, though the VRT current OMSP is probably not far off. If VRT rate was 18%, then it must have been about 45,195, which suggests they undervalued a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭chalky_ie

Does anyone know what the current situation is with Brexit and imports? Will VAT be applicable from Jan 31st? Unsure as to what has been agreed upon.

Nobody knows yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

If you are buying a car with an extended warranty over and above the manufacturer's original expired warranty, check with the dealer if it's valid on export. It most likely isn't, unlike eu manufacturer's warranty. For example, Mercedes own UK extended warranty doesn't travel, unless car stays reg'd in UK. In this case you can get a discount for the amount the dealer has paid, could be up to £300 or more. If he says the warranty is good in ROI and NI, check the warranty booklet T&Cs. This is about as good as it gets with discounts on priced to sell cars.

BMWs AUC warranty is European wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

So it turns out I'll have to wait for revenue to contact me with the invoice within 10 days. Submitted all my docs at VRT center and lad said that they no longer take payment there and then for cars less than 16 months old.....that revenue want to verify them first.

Is that 10 days included in the 30 you have to VRT it?

Don’t have a clue, didn’t matter as they contacted me within 3 days and paid it.

Tech pack and real leather definitely worth about 4.5k, B&O upgrade over a grand, but much more with the pack. Heated seats standard at this stage, but electric adjustment is extra.
    You can register your car on myaudi.ie, using the vin number, ( wait till you get the cert, so it's shows as in your name, just in case). All your service history will show here, but you will also get a full list of what was standard for your model, ( s line?), and what were factory options. You'll get a real value on the car then, though the VRT current OMSP is probably not far off. If VRT rate was 18%, then it must have been about 45,195, which suggests they undervalued a bit.

Yeah got setup with MyAudi last weekend, s line is right.
    Bill paid and just need to tax and out plates on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

I had to wait two weeks for an appointment, and then it was another two weeks before they gave me vrt fee. I paid it the day after they gave me the fee, but this was over the 30 days. I had to pay late fees, which I appealed and they were refunded.

I also checked the statistical code online, and they had charged me a different amount, so I appealed that also.

Another question, does anyone know when the VRT is calculated from? If I bring a car in this month, but have the appointment in January, am I going to get the lower price that I would see on the calculator in January, or this year's price?

I rang Revenue and asked them, they told me that the price you get is judged on the date of your VRT examination, but the guy sounded very green.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

conor-w wrote: »
    Another question, does anyone know when the VRT is calculated from? If I bring a car in this month, but have the appointment in January, am I going to get the lower price that I would see on the calculator in January, or this year's price?

I rang Revenue and asked them, they told me that the price you get is judged on the date of your VRT examination, but the guy sounded very green.

It's the price on the day its paid, whatever OMSP it is in January + NOx. (Price can go up or down anytime)

michellie wrote: »
    It's the price on the day its paid, whatever OMSP it is in January + NOx. (Price can go up or down anytime)

Excellent, thanks for the info!

Do I need to ID or documentation to get license plate made up? Will probably pop into Halfords at weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,655 ✭✭✭User1998

Do I need to ID or documentation to get license plate made up? Will probably pop into Halfords at weekend.

I got plates in Halfords with my vrt receipt

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement