Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭wassie

Most motor factors will do on the spot without any info - sometimes they ask for reg info just so they are getting the details correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭deezell

wassie wrote: »
    Most motor factors will do on the spot without any info - sometimes they ask for reg info just so they are getting the details correct.

Afaik the supply of no. plates here is still unregulated, but motor factors were voluntarily looking for ID, vehicle reg book or VRT payment cert showing the new number.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭chalky_ie

I bought mine from irishnumberplates.ie previously, they were pretty quick and cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

Done my vrt today in nct centre got plates there went very smooth

Not much value in importing this minute with the £ costing over 19%, at €1.193. That's just 4 grand extra on a £20k car, the VRT on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Mynameistom

michellie wrote: »
    Yea, in and around that, there will be the 1% decrease for diesel cars plus the OMSP should drop a bit (ideally, sometimes it doesnt)in January.

Do they look at the mileage when assessing for Vrt ?

Thanks

Thanks

Yes, if above average there is a further discount on the VRT. A late year car, say October 2017, a 172 reg, can have less VRT than the same milage car from January 2017, a 171 reg, because there are less months in the average milage calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ovalu

If i brought in an older diesel (2008) next week from the UK is it too late for me to get the vrt done before the new charges come in on Jan 1? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

ovalu wrote: »
    If i brought in an older diesel (2008) next week from the UK is it too late for me to get the vrt done before the new charges come in on Jan 1? Thanks
    Assuming you can get the car landed and an appointment done before EOY then no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Book the VRT appointment now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ovalu

Book the VRT appointment now.

There isn't appointments available until Jan (in Waterford anyway) so I assume I would be treated as if the car just landed in January?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There isn't appointments available until Jan (in Waterford anyway) so I assume I would be treated as if the car just landed in January?
    Yes
    You need an appointment before EOY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Very limited bookings left, most places are getting booked up for January now.

NOx will be charged on the 1st January no matter what date you imported the car.

Thanks

Yep, that's part of the inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭P_Cash

VRT assessed in November., 20th. Then went to pay last week and it had gone up €50,

I'm thinking of appealing.
    Whats the process, what do you need etc, where to send letter to, checklist etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

P_Cash wrote: »
    VRT assessed in November., 20th. Then went to pay last week and it had gone up €50,

Whats the process, what do you need etc, where to send letter to, checklist etc..
    For €50? Not worth your time, imo.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Omsp changes every month, always at the start of the month( odd time it changes randomly throughout the month) you can appeal, you need to show 3 examples of what you say the value of the car should be, it all needs to be sent into your local revenue office.

You saved a months road tax by delaying payment, so it's not so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They probably saw your user name here and thought you were loaded. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

wassie wrote: »

Is this the address for the first initial appeal ?

Office of the Revenue Commissioners
    VRT Appeals
    Wexford Revenue District
    Government Offices
    Anne Street
    Wexford
    Y35 E29K.

• Advertisement

deezell wrote: »
    Yes, if above average there is a further discount on the VRT. A late year car, say October 2017, a 172 reg, can have less VRT than the same milage car from January 2017, a 171 reg, because there are less months in the average milage calculation.

and if it's a lot less than average ?

64 plate with 21,000

Is this the address for the first initial appeal ?

Office of the Revenue Commissioners
    VRT Appeals
    Wexford Revenue District
    Government Offices
    Anne Street
    Wexford
    Y35 E29K.
    Yes - Appeals to that address if you are appealing:
    • the amount of Vehicle Registration Tax charged by Revenue
    • the registration of a vehicle
    • the amendment of an entry in the register (including the classification recorded for a vehicle), or
    • the determination of an open market selling price (OMSP) by Revenue which supersedes the OMSP determined by a motor distributor

If you are appealing:
    • the refusal of a repayment, remission of or exemption from VRT
    • the granting, refusal or revocation of a VRT authorisation, or
    • the arrangements for payment for a VRT authorised person
    then post your appeal to the VRT Appeals Officer in your area.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/appeals/appeals-officers-addresses.aspx

and if it's a lot less than average ?

64 plate with 21,000

Average milage is calculated as 2100km/1300m per month for diesel, 1500km/930m per month for others. So average milage for a 64 plate right now is 55-60 months, over 70,000 miles for diesel, over 51,000 miles for others. 21,000 is well below average, but the good news is it doesn't work the opposite way, VRT doesn't increase if you get a low miler. 21,000 miles on a 5 year old car is seriously low, 4,200 a year. Is it still on its original tyres?
    I got a €240 reduction for our last import, 16 plate, milage was calculated as over average, worked out as an OMSP reduction of about 1,330

Average milage is calculated as 2100km/1300m per month for diesel, 1500km/930m per month for others. So average milage for a 64 plate right now is 55-60 months, over 70,000 miles for diesel, over 51,000 miles for others. 21,000 is well below average, but the good news is it doesn't work the opposite way, VRT doesn't increase if you get a low miler. 21,000 miles on a 5 year old car is seriously low, 4,200 a year. Is it still on its original tyres?
    I got a €240 reduction for our last import, 16 plate, milage was calculated as over average, worked out as an OMSP reduction of about 1,330

Thanks Deezell,

I have no idea if they are original or not , they could be , how would I find out ?

As long as I don't pay more for the low mileage. They are charging plenty as it is...online calculator tells me €3,099, which I think is bleddy steep . What will they look at which could make it differ from this figure ?

Thanks

Thanks Deezell,

I have no idea if they are original or not , they could be , how would I find out ?

As long as I don't pay more for the low mileage. They are charging plenty as it is...online calculator tells me €3,099, which I think is bleddy steep . What will they look at which could make it differ from this figure ?

Thanks

You have to make sure you've selected correct engine and model variant in the calculator. Check emissions on VRT with the DVLA emissions on the car, it's on the V5C if you already have car bought. For a 2014 that should it, they're unlikely to add anything on inspection for apparent extras, such as sun roofs, fancy Bose stereos etc, as the car is old.

You have to make sure you've selected correct engine and model variant in the calculator. Check emissions on VRT with the DVLA emissions on the car, it's on the V5C if you already have car bought. For a 2014 that should it, they're unlikely to add anything on inspection for apparent extras, such as sun roofs, fancy Bose stereos etc, as the car is old.

Pretty sure I have correct one selected.

Emissions is 139

Emissions is 139
    Have you appointment before January? 2014 car might have high Nox.

Have you appointment before January? 2014 car might have high Nox.

Yep Friday morning appointment

Nox would be over €2,000 I think

Emissions is 139

Your query rings a bell. I checked back on the posts, thats a Hyundai iX35 1.7 diesel facelift with 16 or 17" wheels. There are 17 variants on the VRT site, the S model only attracts 2 grand VRT for that year, engine and miles, see this stat code. 41887085
    What is the model variant exactly in the V5C form? Also, you previously stated Nox as 139, hence were advised to get reg'd before January. 139 is your co2 emissions, basis of VRT. Nox emissions for this car are 131, still high, and a massive €1875 if you dally till January. It looks possible you may have calculated for the model with 147 emissions.

• Advertisement

Your query rings a bell. I checked back on the posts, thats a Hyundai iX35 1.7 diesel facelift with 16 or 17" wheels. There are 17 variants on the VRT site, the S model only attracts 2 grand VRT for that year, engine and miles, see this stat code. 41887085
    What is the model variant exactly in the V5C form? Also, you previously stated Nox as 139, hence were advised to get reg'd before January. 139 is your co2 emissions, basis of VRT. Nox emissions for this car are 131, still high, and a massive €1875 if you dally till January. It looks possible you may have calculated for the model with 147 emissions.

It's SE model.

I'm not dallying....see my last post ..I have vrt appointment this Friday morning in Westport

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement