Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭deezell

It's SE model.

I'm not dallying....see my last post ..I have vrt appointment this Friday morning in Westport

Yes, I'd posted before your last reply came in. Thats good, now it's a case of getting a better OMSP on the car. at 20% VRT, and an average value for these cars from 2014 of 8-13K, The OMSP of that SE entry is way too high at €15497. A quick look at all 1.7 2015 ix35 fit sale will show this. You'll likely have to pay then appeal, as its the only SE entry of 17 than has the correct emissions and SE in the entry. I'd reckon you'll easily get OMSP for yours tweaked to 11-12k, knocking 600+ off VRT. Start searching for cars like yours with SE badge. Collect 3-4 garage examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Mynameistom

deezell wrote: »
    Yes, I'd posted before your last reply came in. Thats good, now it's a case of getting a better OMSP on the car. at 20% VRT, and an average value for these cars from 2014 of 8-13K, The OMSP of that SE entry is way too high at €15497. A quick look at all 1.7 2015 ix35 fit sale will show this. You'll likely have to pay then appeal, as its the only SE entry of 17 than has the correct emissions and SE in the entry. I'd reckon you'll easily get OMSP for yours tweaked to 11-12k, knocking 600+ off VRT. Start searching for cars like yours with SE badge. Collect 3-4 garage examples.

So basically collect evidence to show the OMSP is a way lower than what they say it is !

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

When I had my vrt appointment they just gave me an amount I had to pay, no one told me any OMSP ? So how can I appeal it?

IdHidden wrote: »
    When I had my vrt appointment they just gave me an amount I had to pay, no one told me any OMSP ? So how can I appeal it?
    There is a STAT (statistical) code on the vehicle import receipt, assuming you've paid. Enter this in the VRT calculator asap, add in the milage and date of reg to get the details of your car, new OMSP, current OMSP, emissions, rate of depreciation, milage allowance if any. The amount of VRT shown should match what you paid, provided OMSP or depreciation table hasn't changed since your appointment

There is a STAT (statistical) code on the vehicle import receipt, assuming you've paid. Enter this in the VRT calculator asap, add in the milage and date of reg to get the details of your car, new OMSP, current OMSP, emissions, rate of depreciation, milage allowance if any. The amount of VRT shown should match what you paid, provided OMSP or depreciation table hasn't changed since your appointment

Thank you for that, I notice that I had 10754km but yet got no mileage allowance? Also the current OMSP is about £2500 higher than ad on carzone etc. So i guess I should appeal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'm very confused about the new vrt situation for plug in hybrids come january.
    On budget day I heard it announced that phev would have to have 50km electric range to qualify for vrt rebate.
    Now anywhere I see the rules for 2020, it just mentions co2 less than 65g co2 to qualify - no mention of range.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

mickdw wrote: »
    I'm very confused about the new vrt situation for plug in hybrids come january.
    On budget day I heard it announced that phev would have to have 50km electric range to qualify for vrt rebate.
    Now anywhere I see the rules for 2020, it just mentions co2 less than 65g co2 to qualify - no mention of range.

Wasn’t that delayed to 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They kept the vrt relief until 2021 but as far as I'm aware they announced that relief would only be available up to january 2020 on phev with less than 50km range and some specified emissions level.
    It is very messed up.

Thank you for that, I notice that I had 10754km but yet got no mileage allowance? Also the current OMSP is about £2500 higher than ad on carzone etc. So i guess I should appeal?

That was a 2018 C350E petrol hybrid you imported. You won't get any milage allowance, as if it's a 2018 it's at least 13 months old, so average annual milage would have to be in excess of at least 1500km per month by 13 months, equals 19, 500km, and add 1500 for every month older the Dec 2018. Car has only half that milage, so doesn't qualify.
    As for VRT, there are so few 2018 examples of this for sale, I see just one 2017 on Carzone, asking 29 grand for 171 sport premium with nearly three times your km. If you run this car on the VRT calculator, the new OMSP is €55,547, but depreciation is a massive 36% for 1 year, so the current OMSP for 2018 C350E is €33,742. With VRT of only 14%, this is a steal. Whats your VRT, around €2400?
    I'm not sure how you got the carzone OMSP you're quoting, or what car you are comparing to on Carzone.

You'll see what they say the OMSP is if you go into the online vrt calculator on ros.ie and put in your exact car details. The OMSP they give is usually a way higher than what it is in reality.

How do revenue actually calculate the OMSP ?

• Advertisement

.......How do revenue actually calculate the OMSP ?

The current OMSP is calculated by discounting the New price OMSP for that particular make, model and variant, at the time it was new. The discount is calculated from tables with reference to the car make, model, engine, variant, milage and condition.
    Example; June 2016 Mercedes 220 D sport saloon. 78000 miles,. New OMSP In 2016 is €43,524. No increase on inspection, but possible if high end options were added when new. Discount code based on age, is 50%. New OMSP is €21,762. Allowance for monthly adjustment brings this to €20,517, milage allowance of €1180 drops it to €19,317. This is the current OMSP

VRT at 17% of this is €3287. Theres an oddity in the calculator at the moment, as monthly adjustment is flagged at 5%, but it's hard to see how this figure is calculated, as 5% off €21,762 leaves €20,634, not €20,517, but it's a small error in your favour.

That was a 2018 C350E petrol hybrid you imported. You won't get any milage allowance, as if it's a 2018 it's at least 13 months old, so average annual milage would have to be in excess of at least 1500km per month by 13 months, equals 19, 500km, and add 1500 for every month older the Dec 2018. Car has only half that milage, so doesn't qualify.
    As for VRT, there are so few 2018 examples of this for sale, I see just one 2017 on Carzone, asking 29 grand for 171 sport premium with nearly three times your km. If you run this car on the VRT calculator, the new OMSP is €55,547, but depreciation is a massive 36% for 1 year, so the current OMSP for 2018 C350E is €33,742. With VRT of only 14%, this is a steal. Whats your VRT, around €2400?
    I'm not sure how you got the carzone OMSP you're quoting, or what car you are comparing to on Carzone.

I imported two cars this one is a March 191 BMW 530e Hybrid SE my VRT was 3800 (I haven't taken the Merc 350e sports to VRT yet). There are no SE's on carzone but the 191 M Sports are from 39,900 to 43,900 and mine was valued at 41969 which seems high for the SE?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Where there any extras on the car or was it a stock SE? On a 2019 premium car you will be charged extra VRT on any factory extras. You should appeal on the grounds of showing them what more expensive M Sports are fetching. You have nothing to lose anyway as it costs nothing to lodge an appeal.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Where there any extras on the car or was it a stock SE? You should appeal on the grounds of showing them what more expensive M Sports are fetching. You have nothing to lose anyway as it costs nothing to lodge an appeal.
    Thanks, it had the comfort pack which is about 1k new

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭wassie

Not much value in importing this minute with the £ costing over 19%, at €1.193. That's just 4 grand extra on a £20k car, the VRT on top.

£ costing now jumping to over €1.21 on the UK exit poll announcement @10pm.

Wouldn't want to be committed to buying if you a hadn't locked in a rate. If the exit poll is accurate I would expect further small gain tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sterling will only go one way now with Johnson getting his majority and a mandate to fast track Brexit.

I imported two cars this one is a March 191 BMW 530e Hybrid SE my VRT was 3800 (I haven't taken the Merc 350e sports to VRT yet). There are no SE's on carzone but the 191 M Sports are from 39,900 to 43,900 and mine was valued at 41969 which seems high for the SE?

There are 4 variants on the VRT calculator, 2 M Sport, and 2 SE. It's unclear from the calculator which version of the SE you have, as the variant names are identical, but there's a difference in the new OMSP of about €2300, and consequently a difference in current OMSP, which is €40298 compared to the €41968 you were asked. Rather than rely on used car prices, query why your inspector choose to use the higher OMSP version on the calculator. It may be the car had some feature extra, like top spec audio, real leather, sun roof etc. You could just drop in casually and ask what's the difference in stat code 43187720 (cheaper) and 43987720 ( your OMSP). It would help if they included it in the calculator variant name,

bazz26 wrote: »
    Sterling will only go one way now with Johnson getting his majority and a mandate to fast track Brexit.
    Except his mandate has no meaning in the negotiations. If the EU say it will take 5 years to negotiate a full trade deal, 2.5 minimum for the bones of one, Boris having a UK mandate doesn't entitle him to jack ****, as he'll find out the hard way next June when he has A SFA deal, and has only days left to ask for the 2 year extension, though he's mouthed off that hes "done" by 2020, deal or no deal. We've been here before, but importing might be fcuked, with 21% exchange rate and possible VAT looming. Anyway, wrong forum for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

well that will be his excuse for having a No Deal Brexit, which I believe he has wanted all along

Vrt done in Westport yesterday morning. Charged me €3,099. Far too high for a 142 I think. Closer to the €2,000 would be more appropriate. When i started saying to your man about the price he just said I'm only doing my job you will have to take it up with revenue. I will. How exactly though ?
    THANKS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭wassie

Unfortunately they have no discretion - To be fair it makes there job easier, otherwise they would be having that discussion/arguement with everyone.

Google "VRT appeal" and your sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Vrt done in Westport yesterday morning. Charged me €3,099. Far too high for a 142 I think. Closer to the €2,000 would be more appropriate. When i started saying to your man about the price he just said I'm only doing my job you will have to take it up with revenue. I will. How exactly though ?
    THANKS

What OMSP did they give you, and what VRT rate were you on?
    This is a Hyundai ix35?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Anyone know whats happening after the 1st February when Boris gets his withdrawal deal passed.
    Will VAT have to paid on used imports from the 1st February or does it stay the same until December 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

mgn wrote: »
    Anyone know whats happening after the 1st February when Boris gets his withdrawal deal passed.
    Will VAT have to paid on used imports from the 1st February or does it stay the same until December 2020.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/brexit/information-for-businesses/vrt-implications-of-trade-with-the-uk/vrt-implications-of-importing-cars-from-the-uk.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Isambard wrote: »

Thanks, that's what i was looking for but couldn't find it for some reason.

Look like the end of the imports for the private buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭piobhan

I'm purchasing a car in the UK next Saturday 21/12. The car will be back in Ireland the same date with proof of the boat etc.
    I can't get an appointment in with the VRT in any centre until 03/01/20.
    Will my bill be higher because of this??

If so how much more approx. a 2013 GTI? Is there anything I can do about it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

piobhan wrote: »
    I'm purchasing a car in the UK next Saturday 21/12. The car will be back in Ireland the same date with proof of the boat etc.
    I can't get an appointment in with the VRT in any centre until 03/01/20.
    Will my bill be higher because of this??

If so how much more approx. a 2013 GTI? Is there anything I can do about it ??

Yes it will be higher, unless you can get an appointment before end of year

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭piobhan

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes it will be higher, unless you can get an appointment before end of year

HI Elm, as I said I CAN'T get an appointment before the end of the year, I was looking for an indication of how much more it might cost me or was there a way of getting a cancellation appointment or anything??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

HI Elm, as I said I CAN'T get an appointment before the end of the year, I was looking for an indication of how much more it might cost me or was there a way of getting a cancellation appointment or anything??
    The indicative cost difference is hard to know without looking at the V5, but some details here on the NoX penalties: https://www.vrt.ie/faq/changes-vrt-budget-2020/

Additionally, the rate bands changed too so higher emission cars get charged more. Essentially unless you are importing a hybrid, plug in hybrid or EV expect to pay more than before January

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I can't help you with how much more it will cost but I had an appointment recently which was three weeks away at the time. I checked the website at least four times a day and got a cancellation three days later.

Keep checking but cancellations that come up on the website disappear fast so you need to be on the ball.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement