Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sounds like it wasn't really looked after by it's previous owner. Shocking that a premium brand main dealer would retail a car on their forecourt in that condition but I suppose the one good thing is at least you are aware of it rather than them cleaning it up and you being non the wiser. What are you going to do Mick?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They can feck off. Terrible nonsense. Probably go offering to do bits now.
    I know approved used is a sales gimmick for the most part but you would expect them to at least have the stuff looking right.

I've seen that one. It's there quite a while now.
    Alot cheaper than one I was buying but I was alot happier buying the late 18 car warranty wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

mickdw wrote: »
    They can feck off. Terrible nonsense. Probably go offering to do bits now.
    I know approved used is a sales gimmick for the most part but you would expect them to at least have the stuff looking right.

To be fair approved Used generally isn’t a sales gimmick, the standards and random audits dealers have to adhere is unreal.

Very surprised a Main BMW dealer was letting a car out front like that.

• Advertisement

L-M wrote: »
    To be fair approved Used generally isn’t a sales gimmick, the standards and random audits dealers have to adhere is unreal.

Very surprised a Main BMW dealer was letting a car out front like that.

If it was a 3 or 4 year old car, you might say it had a not so careful owner but just the year old. The person driving this wasn't paying for it anyway would be my impression. Kinda shocked myself by the standard.

I found a salesmans guide to approved used there online and to be honest it was set up all about how to sell it as a bonus and also explaining how they don't need to have full main dealer history or be relatively new or low mileage or have factory approved tyres to be sold under the scheme. . It also set out how sales man should make use of the reconditioning sheet cost breakdown to show the customer that they won't get a discount due to outlay incurred.
    Hardly customer focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Any link?

Any used approved program I’ve seen is usually very anti dealer, very high spend and very little return.

L-M wrote: »
    Any link?

Any used approved program I’ve seen is usually very anti dealer, very high spend and very little return.

Google e217174 auc salesperson guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

I'm looking to import from the UK in January hopefully. With Brexit planed for December 2020, do we see anything obstructing or increasing the prices of importing until then? Is NOX going to add any significant costs to say a 2015 2 litre diesel import? I'm just trying to do the figures at the moment. I've imported twice in the past, but last time was in 2010...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

ando wrote: »
    I'm looking to import from the UK in January hopefully. With Brexit planed for December 2020, do we see anything obstructing or increasing the prices of importing until then? Is NOX going to add any significant costs to say a 2015 2 litre diesel import? I'm just trying to do the figures at the moment. I've imported twice in the past, but last time was in 2010...

You really need to find out the nox figure for the particular car you are looking at, to avoid a nasty shock. It will be on the v5 document. A quick call to a seller should give you the figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

pablo128 wrote: »
    You really need to find out the nox figure for the particular car you are looking at, to avoid a nasty shock. It will be on the v5 document. A quick call to a seller should give you the figure.

Is the NOX cost currently in place? I generally in the past have priced up the cost of the car converted to euro, VRT plus general expenses like boat, flights etc. Just need to know now if I have to add in NOX pricing too..

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭chalky_ie

Does anyone know what state the V5 has to be in for VRT to accept it? I was under the impression it had to be untouched, but the dealer I bought from said they have to fill in one part and send it away, said he's done it with loads of Irish recently.

Last time I imported (years ago), dealer convinced me I had to send the full thing to the DVLA on the spot, caused me havoc as I couldn't register car with the little slip off the V5 he'd given me to bring home.

So, long story short; do I need the V5 100% intact, or am I ok with what I have, which is the majority of it, with one section removed and filled in by the dealer. Any info much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

conor-w wrote: »
    Does anyone know what state the V5 has to be in for VRT to accept it? I was under the impression it had to be untouched, but the dealer I bought from said they have to fill in one part and send it away, said he's done it with loads of Irish recently.

Last time I imported (years ago), dealer convinced me I had to send the full thing to the DVLA on the spot, caused me havoc as I couldn't register car with the little slip off the V5 he'd given me to bring home.

So, long story short; do I need the V5 100% intact, or am I ok with what I have, which is the majority of it, with one section removed and filled in by the dealer. Any info much appreciated!

The front page is the bit you need and it needs to be complete. Just get the seller to look up the DVLA site and find out exactly whats needed.

The front page is the bit you need and it needs to be complete. Just get the seller to look up the DVLA site and find out exactly whats needed.

I've already collected the car so too late for that haha. Is this what you mean by front page?

20191223-130940.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭deezell

conor-w wrote: »
    I've already collected the car so too late for that haha. Is this what you mean by front page?

20191223-130940.jpg
    You're sorted

deezell wrote: »
    You're sorted

Thanks Christ, I can't go through the hell I had with the DVLA again 😂. Nice one lads.

ando wrote: »
    Is the NOX cost currently in place? I generally in the past have priced up the cost of the car converted to euro, VRT plus general expenses like boat, flights etc. Just need to know now if I have to add in NOX pricing too..

From January;

Capture_bckiASIx.png

To check emissions by make, model, year, etc;

https://carfueldata.vehicle-certification-agency.gov.uk/search-new-or-used-cars.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

If I am looking correctly, this is only an extra €85 on a BMW G30 520D? Not as bad as I feared.

If I am looking correctly, this is only an extra €85 on a BMW G30 520D? Not as bad as I feared.
    Correct, plus VRT will rate will drop by 1% from 19% or 18% depending on model co2 emissions. This drop will take roughly €270 off the current VRT for average 2017 versions of this car, so an overall drop of €200, plus a possible drop in OMSP and VRT if lower OMSP is published in January as the car will technically be a reg. year older. All very tight, and would need to be sorted before end of January and brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Johnny86

The 7 days to make an appointment...is that 7 days to physically visit a NCTS centre? Or to just make the booking? I assume its to physically present the car.

Brought a car in on 23rd dec but next NCTS appointment available is 4th Jan...will that be ok as they're closed over Christmas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Johnny86 wrote: »
    The 7 days to make an appointment...is that 7 days to go online and make a booking within 30 days? Or 7 days to physically visit a NCTS centre?

Brought a car in on 23rd dec but next NCT appointment available is 4th Jan...will that be ok?

7 days to make the Appointment!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Johnny86

Truckermal wrote: »
    7 days to make the Appointment!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭User1998

Doesn’t actually matter when you make the appointment as long as you have an appointment date before the 30 days is up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

that's not true.You have 7 days to make the appointment and 30 days to complete the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭User1998

So why is it then that I’ve waited over 7 days to make the appointment and had no consequence?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

User1998 wrote: »
    So why is it then that I’ve waited over 7 days to make the appointment and had no consequence?

you were lucky and didn't meet the wrong official?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Has anyone used UK Car Imports or similar services before? Any good or bad experiences with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

ricimaki wrote: »
    Has anyone used UK Car Imports or similar services before? Any good or bad experiences with them?

I had looked at them before, but I see the Hyundai i30 I place a deposit on today and they have a markup of approximately 1k on it for doing the leg work which I don't think is worth it at all. Really negates a lot of the savings on lower priced cars, I dont there's a enough work to buy a car from a main Hyundai dealer that warrants the 1k mark up.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭ricimaki

heffo500 wrote: »
    I had looked at them before, but I see the Hyundai i30 I place a deposit on today and they have a markup of approximately 1k on it for doing the leg work which I don't think is worth it at all. Really negates a lot of the savings on lower priced cars, I dont there's a enough work to buy a car from a main Hyundai dealer that warrants the 1k mark up.

I noticed that there is an additional charge of €395 for delivery on each car, on top of the markup. I've had a look through some Leon's and Golfs, and see a markup of between €800 and €1500... safe to say I won't be using them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

I haven't but someone I know has and he said it was very straight forward. shipped to him.

Considering using them myself too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement