Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

I would nearly miss the trip to go get the car myself and I would prefer to have sat in the car and had a test drive before paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Rolf12

Looking at Nox for a 2016 VW golf 1.6 my calculations are coming in at an additional €500 would this be about right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

User1998 wrote: »
    Doesn’t actually matter when you make the appointment as long as you have an appointment date before the 30 days is up

Leaving it late to book it you can risk not being able to get in within the 30 days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Rolf12 wrote: »
    Looking at Nox for a 2016 VW golf 1.6 my calculations are coming in at an additional €500 would this be about right?

Without telling us the NOx as per the V5 no one can confirm that.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Attached is a spreadsheet to calculate the NOx charge. Just select the fuel type (Diesel or Other) and put in the mg/km amount. Hopefully its useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Rolf12

ricimaki wrote: »
    Attached is a spreadsheet to calculate the NOx charge. Just select the fuel type (Diesel or Other) and put in the mg/km amount. Hopefully its useful.

Spot on thanks for that. Had the calculation right.

An extra 500 which would put me off bringing another car over I think. Bought a car 2 years ago at 1 pound to 1.12 euro

Now 1 to 1.17 and an extra 500 on nox tax...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭digiman

Im considering importing a June 2019 BMW 540i saloon car, can I expect the depreciation to drop from the 1st Jan?

Right now VRT is showing as €16754 no matter what month it’s registered in from Jan-June 2019, however if I choose Dec 2018 as the registered month it will be €14344, any idea I’d this is because the car is one year old or because it’s registered in a different year?

To further get my hopes up that it will drop if I choose Jan 2018 the vrt remains at €14344 and if I select registered in Dec 2017 the price drops again to €12397.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Are you set on that engine?
    You can vrt a 2019 530e for 3k

dar_cool wrote: »

If buying that car I’m set on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Rolf12 wrote: »
    Spot on thanks for that. Had the calculation right.

An extra 500 which would put me off bringing another car over I think. Bought a car 2 years ago at 1 pound to 1.12 euro

Now 1 to 1.17 and an extra 500 on nox tax...

VRT is dropping 1% though so factor that in too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

dar_cool wrote: »

To be fair a 530e is probably at the opposite end of the spectrum to someone interested in a 540i.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭deezell

digiman wrote: »
    Im considering importing a June 2019 BMW 540i saloon car, can I expect the depreciation to drop from the 1st Jan?

Right now VRT is showing as €16754 no matter what month it’s registered in from Jan-June 2019, however if I choose Dec 2018 as the registered month it will be €14344, any idea I’d this is because the car is one year old or because it’s registered in a different year?

To further get my hopes up that it will drop if I choose Jan 2018 the vrt remains at €14344 and if I select registered in Dec 2017 the price drops again to €12397.

There used to be a monthly adjustment as well for depreciation, so a January 2018 OMSP would havve dropped as the year progressed, but now it seems a a cars OMSP is set in stone for a particular year, you'll pay as much VRT no matter how late in the year you import

digiman wrote: »

VRT now showing as €15,128 which is a nice New Years Gift.
    deezell wrote: »
    There used to be a monthly adjustment as well for depreciation, so a January 2018 OMSP would havve dropped as the year progressed, but now it seems a a cars OMSP is set in stone for a particular year, you'll pay as much VRT no matter how late in the year you import

It looks like the first few months do matter, if I was to put it in as a Nov/Dec19 registration then the VRT is around €20k and it drops down to the €15,128 in October. But then after that point it seems to stay the same for the rest of the year as you mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

deezell wrote: »

I don't think so. I paid 2950 in October and in December it had dropped 200 euro when I checked again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭User1998

Has anyone been successful with that high mileage claim on page 8 of the above document? I’ve never even heard of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭wassie

Thats an interesting pickup.

Just did the calculation for my last import (October 2019) for a very high mileage 3yo hybrid. May have been useful if not for the note at the end of the table: "The maximum credit allowed will continue to be limited to 10% of the value of the vehicle."

In reality however, I successfully appealed the OMSP to be reduced by over 20%, with mileage a one of the major reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭wassie

ricimaki wrote: »
    Has anyone used UK Car Imports or similar services before? Any good or bad experiences with them?

I used them for my first import back at the start of 2017. I found Richard, the owner, to be very easy, straight forward & honest enough to deal with. Probably a bit different to other import services with the design of their website.

I think their model has changed somewhat as back then it was only auction house stock, where as now it looks like they buy from numerous sources.

But knowing what I know now, and as other posters have stated, there is a markup up you will be paying. This is not a problem as you are paying for a service, but unfortunately its not as transparent as it could be and this makes it hard to determine if you are getting value in the deal.

PM me of you want more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

I'm due to pick up a car in UK shortly. Chatting to the dealer earlier, car is not taxed so he said best thing to do might be to set up a monthly direct debit, pay 1 month then cancel it when I get home. He wasn't sure if this was the best method and is going to suss it out further. Should I just risk it and drive it to Holyhead? Would police be understanding if I was stopped? Might be safer to tax the feckin thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Unless you have a UK bank account you will not be able to setup a monthly direct debit for UK motor tax. If you have a Revolut top up debit card you could try setting up the direct debit using that as I think that's UK based and might work. The other alternative is tax it for 6 months using a debit/credit card and then claim back some of the unused tax back from the DVLA after the car is exported and registered over here.

Regarding taking a chance and not taxing it, that's entirely up to you. Nobody here can guarantee you that you won't be stopped. The Welsh police are not known for being soft and there are ANPR cameras all over the place so it's really a role of a dice. Personally for the sake of the few pounds, I would just tax it rather than having to constantly look in my rear view mirror for blue flashing lights all the way to the ferry port but some people prefer to stick two fingers up to the establishment and chance it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

I am looking to pick up a VW from a VW dealership in UK. They come with a 1 year warranty. I have received conflicting information about whether it is transferable to Ireland. Does anyone have any experience?

Yeh, I have a Revolut card so I could use that if it worked. Yes, personally I'd prefer to tax it to be on the safe side. Hopefully it won't be too much.

sikes wrote: »
    I am looking to pick up a VW from a VW dealership in UK. They come with a 1 year warranty. I have received conflicting information about whether it is transferable to Ireland. Does anyone have any experience?

I would email VW Ireland and get a definitive answer in writing.

The car I'm due to collect has tax of £0 for the year do I still need to tax it?

Is it possible to drive to a post office and tax a car for 1 month?

toby2111 wrote: »
    Is it possible to drive to a post office and tax a car for 1 month?

You have to tax it for a minimum of 6 months.

How much is the tax on it?

pablo128 wrote: »
    You have to tax it for a minimum of 6 months.

How much is the tax on it?

I'm not sure, it's a 2019 Skoda Octavia 1.6 tdi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

heffo500 wrote: »
    The car I'm due to collect has tax of £0 for the year do I still need to tax it?

No. I collected a 330e back in October, and didn't have to be taxed for my drive to Holyhead. It doesn't have a tax disc anyway

toby2111 wrote: »
    I'm not sure, it's a 2019 Skoda Octavia 1.6 tdi.

You could ask the dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ovalu

I don't know if anyone can help me here, I brought in a 2011 Mercedes vito passanger from uk in December, I had a VRT booking for 20 Dec, I thought it was straightforward and I had all the paperwork but when my wife brought it in to the appointment the guy said there was no stat code for that model so he wouldnt do the VRT. I presume now that there mustn't be an exact similar vehicle registered in the state, There seems to have been some confusion in how to proceed from there.
    Now I accept I've missed the 1 Jan deadline and I will be caught for higher VRT, but i need to get it sorted, how do I get a stat code does anyone know?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement