Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I don't understand the logic at all though, it seems to be totally illogical - what if I don't get an NCT done until the actual birthdate of the car, ie February next year, will that kill the two birds with the one stone?

If the original reg date of the car was 12th Feb 03, then its nct will be due on 12th Feb 09. So wait till then to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

lynchie wrote: »
    If the original reg date of the car was 12th Feb 03, then its nct will be due on 12th Feb 09. So wait till then to do it.
    How do you reckon that? Isn't it four years from first registration?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

esel wrote: »
    How do you reckon that? Isn't it four years from first registration?

The car was registered in the UK in February 2003.
    I re-registered it here last week. I have taxed and insured it until July of next year, if I do an NCT test now, as I think I am obliged to, i most also have the car undergo another one in February (because that will be the 6th anniversary of its original registration in the country it was initially registered in), despite the fact that I've been assured already that the car is roadworthy for the 2 years from the date of the NCT that I will/may have carried out in the near future.

I would be tempted to wait until February before carrying out the NCT that is due now, but what is the legal and insurance position in the interim?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,946 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I re-registered it here last week. I have taxed and insured it until July of next year, if I do an NCT test now, as I think I am obliged to, i most also have the car undergo another one in February (because that will be the 6th anniversary of its original registration in the country it was initially registered in), despite the fact that I've been assured already that the car is roadworthy for the 2 years from the date of the NCT that I will/may have carried out in the near future.

I would be tempted to wait until February before carrying out the NCT that is due now, but what is the legal and insurance position in the interim?

Never even thought about this. is this true? im bringing in a car next week. Sure ill be in the same situation. This sucks. what a sh*t system. Car has the bloody mot which is a more stringent system than ours anyway. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

When you do the NCT- its back-dated to the date when it was first due.
    It may seem ridiculous- but thats how they administer it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

smccarrick wrote: »
    When you do the NCT- its back-dated to the date when it was first due.
    It may seem ridiculous- but thats how they administer it.

Yeah, I understand that is probably to stop people from delaying their NCT by a few months each time and so eventually racking up a significant time gap, but in the case of imports, would it not make sense to have the date on which NCT is due related to their intial registration in this country? In other words, I do an NCT next week and my next NCT is due in 2 years time.

Unfortunately Listermint that appears to be the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rocha

folks, about the following point:

(13)With in 24hrs of arriving in Ireland you are required to present the car at the VRO.

what's the worst that can happen if you don't do it the following day but instead, lets say in a week after buying the car?

is it a big issue for them?

thanks

rocha wrote: »
    folks, about the following point:

(13)With in 24hrs of arriving in Ireland you are required to present the car at the VRO.

what's the worst that can happen if you don't do it the following day but instead, lets say in a week after buying the car?

is it a big issue for them?

thanks

If you are an Irish national, resident in Ireland, you are legally obliged to register your car(s) within 24hrs of bringing it into the country. What can happen- you could be stopped and fined, or have the vehicle impounded (though annecdotally, a fine is far more likely as they haven't finished the new car pound yet).

It can be an issue- it depends on the Garda who stops you. They have been stopping UK reg vehicles a lot (rather than the Polish/Latvian/Estonian/Lithuanian vehicles- though the number of those has slumped too- there is a strange no. of left hand drive BMW coupes and their ilk doing the rounds :) )

Re: the VRO office- they can backdate the VRT and impose penalties too. Your motor tax will also be backdated to the start of the month when the car was brought in. Its tough if you brought it in towards the end of a month. C'est la vie.

well, i'll tray to make it there as soon as i get the car into the country. It will be just a case of getting some time to skip work.

I won't be driving it around until i get it VRTd.

What could the gards fine/ VRT penalties be?

50 euro? 200?

Thanks

I've just bought a car from the ebay.

I noticed the name on the seller info is different from the name of the guy who had been picking up the phone before the bidding was over. WHen I queried, he told me he's a dealer and the name on ebay is the car owner name.

I queried on the V5 document, and he said he'll give me a receipt, the MOT, the Tax and all the paper but the V5 would be sent to my address in Dublin.

Is this normal from your point of view guys? I don't know...

Please give me your feedback and what i should be looking for once i go pick the car up.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

..but the V5 would be sent to my address in Dublin.

Is this normal from your point of view guys? I don't know...

Since the vehicle is being exported outside of the UK, he should send Section 11 (Notification of Permanent Export) of the V5C to the DVLA, and give you the rest of the V5C in it's entirety.

Or, the incorrect (but possible) way to do it, is to treat it as a domestic sale. That means your name and Irish address go on the existing V5C (the name of the New Keeper), and he sends it to the DVLA (minus the New Keeper's Supplement slip, which you keep until the updated V5C arrives). However, since the DVLA won't put a non-UK address on a V5C, they'll just send the original V5C back to you, as it was.

Best to do the first way.

this is the answer i got from the seller when i queried if your first option was going to be followed:

All documents V5 are all here and yes you will recieve a invoice and you will recievethe V5 supplement that will be the yellow part of the V5 supplement that the new buyer recieves when you purchase the car and the rest will be
    filled in as yes export and sent to D.V.L.A and you will recieve a full new V5 registered in your name.

Does it sound good? I appreciate your help because I'm new in Ireland and I don't have enough understanding of the selling procedures here and Uk

Rocha- to be perfectly honest- If you are going to ahead with the purchase- I'd bring a mechanic/engineer with me and check that the number on the engine block hasn't been filed, check that it corresponds with the number on the door frame and the number below the windshield- along with giving it a one-over mechanically. Buying anything of value from ebay is always fraught with uncertainties- but there is no point in putting a purchase such as a car at risk, purely because you don't take basic precautions. This is aside from your V5 concerns. If you are worried- I'd also check with the local police to see whether the vehicle has been reported as stolen (they're very happy to help- it only takes 30 seconds to check the database).......

All documents V5 are all here and yes you will recieve a invoice and you will recievethe V5 supplement that will be the yellow part of the V5 supplement that the new buyer recieves when you purchase the car and the rest will be
    filled in as yes export and sent to D.V.L.A and you will recieve a full new V5 registered in your name.

The seller doesn't know what he's doing. He's probably never sold a vehicle as export before. How does he expect you to receive a new V5C in your name, issued by the DVLA, if the DVLA are being told that the car as being exported?

It seems like you're going to have a hard time trying to convince him that the correct procedure is to give the entire V5C to you, as it is minus Section 11 (Notification of Permanent Export), which he sends to the DVLA so they are aware the vehicle has been exported.

You should receive a certifitcate of export in place of the V5 if the seller sends the V5 to the DVLA. This certificate can be used to pay the irish VRT.

or

If the seller sends you the V5 directly. You send the section for export back to the DVLA in the uk and you bring the rest into the VRO office in ireland to pay the irish VRT.

Thank you guys. The main thing is to bring the V5 with me except section 11 which he must send to the dvla.

Just a note, i rang Northumbria Police to check if the car could be stolen and they said they wouldn't be able to help me..

I have however a report from mycarcheck.com (I don't know how good it is), which states there is no report of it having been stolen but the only thing pointed out is the that the registration has been involved in a plate change.

Shouldn't be that bad if manage to bring the papers with me. Otherwise, Iºll walk away.

Thank you guys. The main thing is to bring the V5 with me except section 11 which he must send to the dvla..

Correct. If the seller is concerned about this, he can call the DVLA on 01792 782341 for confirmation that this is the correct procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Hi,

Apologies if this is asked by every noob that stumbles in here but: roughly what kind of cars are we talking about that makes importing from the UK worth your while?
    Is it only high-end/high value cars?

And one quick question about the new VRT rates. I know how it's based on the car's emissions now, but is that the car's theoretical emissions, or do they physically take a reading there and then for it?

Thanks,
    NKay.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Thank you guys. The main thing is to bring the V5 with me except section 11 which he must send to the dvla.

Just a note, i rang Northumbria Police to check if the car could be stolen and they said they wouldn't be able to help me..

I have however a report from mycarcheck.com (I don't know how good it is), which states there is no report of it having been stolen but the only thing pointed out is the that the registration has been involved in a plate change.

Shouldn't be that bad if manage to bring the papers with me. Otherwise, Iºll walk away.

Don't worry too much about the plate change, that may well just be s previous keeper having a cherished reg. I had it on mine but the V5 had it included on it, previous keeper and previous registrations. Check it though, you can't be careful enough getting a car in the UK. I have also gone both ways that you are looking at from an export from the UK, it is infinitely easier to ensure that the guy sends off the relevant section to Swansea, doing it as a domestic transfer can get messy with time and the like. I did it when I was living in the north and it was tricky enough for there! Just get the guy to read the V5 doc properly, its all explained if he takes the time.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    ..roughly what kind of cars are we talking about that makes importing from the UK worth your while? Is it only high-end/high value cars?
    Any car that, when you calculate the full cost of importing it (purchase price, travel/ferry, VRT), works out appreciably cheaper than buying an equivalent car here. Under the new VRT system, you have to be sure you know what you are going to end up paying, which will depend on the CO2 figure. Also, the minimum amounts (used to be €315) now vary from €280 to €720, depending on VRT band.
    nkay1985 wrote: »
    And one quick question about the new VRT rates. I know how it's based on the car's emissions now, but is that the car's theoretical emissions, or do they physically take a reading there and then for it?
    The CO2 figure from a number of sources, from VR5 document to selected websites etc are acceptable. See http://www.revenue.ie/leaflets/vrt-new-tax-regime.htm If you cannot 'prove' the CO2 figure from any of the approved sources/methods, you pay 36%.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cooper38

Estimating Savings:
    You could try a rough check on autotrader.co.uk , add in vrt based on co2 emissions and compare to what you see on cbg.ie for example.

Theres savings to be made across most categories of car however this will tell you for sure.

Checking Car
    Make sure to get the car independently checked, aa can do that for you. A hundred pounds may save you a few thousand.

Exchange Rates
    Dont use the bank to get your draft as you'll lose over €1-200, call xe or currency.ie , compare with the banks to get the best deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 oho_noho

I'm heading over to look at a couple of cars next week. How long in advance do you need to book an AA inspection. I obviously can't book in advance because i haven't decided what i'm buying, i'm concerned that i won't be able to get an inspection at short notice.

oho_noho wrote: »
    I'm heading over to look at a couple of cars next week. How long in advance do you need to book an AA inspection. I obviously can't book in advance because i haven't decided what i'm buying, i'm concerned that i won't be able to get an inspection at short notice.

It is usually around 3 working days. Also try car checkers uk they are far cheaper than the AA and the service was great. The engineer was brilliant on the phone and i got the full report the next morning in an email.

Settle on the model you really want and send the engineer to that, dont go wasting your money sending him to a few. Also the "piece of mind" check they do is quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 oho_noho

Thanks.
    Waht does it mean when a car is advertised as non vat qualifying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 swoodworth

smccarrick wrote: »
    If you are an Irish national, resident in Ireland, you are legally obliged to register your car(s) within 24hrs of bringing it into the country. What can happen- you could be stopped and fined, or have the vehicle impounded (though annecdotally, a fine is far more likely as they haven't finished the new car pound yet).

It can be an issue- it depends on the Garda who stops you. They have been stopping UK reg vehicles a lot (rather than the Polish/Latvian/Estonian/Lithuanian vehicles- though the number of those has slumped too- there is a strange no. of left hand drive BMW coupes and their ilk doing the rounds :) )

Re: the VRO office- they can backdate the VRT and impose penalties too. Your motor tax will also be backdated to the start of the month when the car was brought in. Its tough if you brought it in towards the end of a month. C'est la vie.

So, I imported a diesel Mondeo on April 30th and duly presented it to my local VRO on May 1st. Unfortunately because of a documentation screwup at the dealership and some foot-dragging at the DVLA, I wasn't able to register the car or pay my VRT on May 1. The VRO gave me a receipt just in case I was stopped by the Gardai. My export certificate is arriving next week at last, so I'm off back to the VRO. So which VRT scale applies? If the post-July 1 scale applies then I save a fair bit of money (VRT is approx €4500 under the old system, €3200 under the new system).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭recycle

Im a lazy reader, so the thoughts of scrolling thru hundreds of pages doesnt appeal to me, i hope the knowledgeable ones here wont mind and would be grateful if they could help me out.

Im taking in a car from the UK in January. The dealer im buying from says he has never sold a new car to an Irish customer.

I want to bring the car in as a one owner/new car.

What are the issues/pitfalls involved. Is the procedure with their DVLA and the Rev here straightforward enough?

Any info/help would be great.

recycle wrote: »
    Im a lazy reader, so the thoughts of scrolling thru hundreds of pages doesnt appeal to me, i hope the knowledgeable ones here wont mind and would be grateful if they could help me out.

Im taking in a car from the UK in January. The dealer im buying from says he has never sold a new car to an Irish customer.

I want to bring the car in as a one owner/new car.

What are the issues/pitfalls involved. Is the procedure with their DVLA and the Rev here straightforward enough?

Any info/help would be great.

Read the very first page of this thread. Sorted !

recycle wrote: »
    Im a lazy reader, so the thoughts of scrolling thru hundreds of pages doesnt appeal to me.....
    Pffft. Only 62 pages here!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Vehicle to be Taxed at VRO,Ex Motability Vehicle

Noticed this on a UK Car advert. what are the implications for importing this car. Is it the same as normal.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Also another question, probably covered already, If I imported a BMW with options such as sat nav and leather interior will that affect the VRT, i.e. when I go to bring it in will the look for additional vrt above and beyond what is on the calculator. In this case would I be better to ring with the exact spec of the car, or just show up?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement