Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

michellie wrote: »
    It's built into NCT system. All they do is type it into a box and the price is generated

Just did a calculation for an 08 Hyundai i30 diesel and it says €360 VRT. That def doesn’t include the NOX charge.

VRT on my car I got a few months ago is down €150. Supposed to be €1750 NOX added.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Just did a calculation for an 08 Hyundai i30 diesel and it says €360 VRT. That def doesn’t include the NOX charge.

Yea, the Ros calculator hasn't been updated yet.

It tells you on the VRT calculator that the calculation does not cover NOx. It will be updated in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

LillySV wrote: »

lads look at the fukin excel sheet on the link i posted previously.....it gives an incredibly comprehensive list of what your nox will be...covers everything except the porsches/ferraris etc

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ovalu

deezell wrote: »
    Are your IT boffins working on including the Nox charges in the calculator, to help unfortunates from making disasterous imports. Just thinking of that Vito, VRT of €4800 on a 9 year old 2.2 auto, an then another €4800 in Nox, with ferry etc thats €10 grand, more than its worth, even if you got it free.

Yes you're right it's a disastrous import for me now. But just to explain I have a big family so needed an 8 seater, before I purchased I used the revenues service where u pay €5 and put in the UK reg and it gives u the VRT due and stat code, which was about 3k. I also made sure I had an appt for 20 Dec.
    But when my wife went to the appt they told her that the stat code etc given out on the revenue service was wrong, when I went back and read the fine print there was something about they might just give u a result for a similar but slightly different model, which is very misleading , so I'm rightly screwed by them now

• Advertisement

ovalu wrote: »
    Yes you're right it's a disastrous import for me now. But just to explain I have a big family so needed an 8 seater, before I purchased I used the revenues service where u pay €5 and put in the UK reg and it gives u the VRT due and stat code, which was about 3k. I also made sure I had an appt for 20 Dec.
    But when my wife went to the appt they told her that the stat code etc given out on the revenue service was wrong, when I went back and read the fine print there was something about they might just give u a result for a similar but slightly different model, which is very misleading , so I'm rightly screwed by them now

Those websites often give out the wrong Stat codes, I've seen some of them and it's the completely wrong model on them.

You will definitely get any Nox back that you have to pay, but it's bloody sh*t that you have to pay it in the first place.

Should make importing cars from Japan interesting?

Dealt with this earlier not long after my last message, apparently the Nox figure should be on the ministry for land transport document.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Tiger72

Guys i know there are posts on here about using Transport Companies for shipping cars home from the UK but i cant go through 600 pages ......so a recommendation for a few would be appreciated please from just North of Birmingham :)

The service you used is nothing to do with Revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

https://www.vrt.ie/vrt-calculator/

avoid, for any future buyers on this thread.

I'm sorry for the outcome of your purchase which is supposed to be a nice experience, but it is clear they've nothing to do with revenue. You could try and resell in the north and take the hit, do the math and see if its worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Tiger72 wrote: »
    Guys i know there are posts on here about using Transport Companies for shipping cars home from the UK but i cant go through 600 pages ......so a recommendation for a few would be appreciated please from just North of Birmingham :)

a cheap flight to birmingham and only a three hour drive to holyhead, seriously consider doing it yourself, that's a very easy import. you'll save hundreds of euro for days work.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

Try Shiply.com, submit the details and companies send you quotes back.

Sent you a PM also.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Tiger72

a cheap flight to birmingham and only a three hour drive to holyhead, seriously consider doing it yourself, that's a very easy import. you'll save hundreds of euro for days work.
    I know it has to be transported home unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭deezell

https://www.vrt.ie/vrt-calculator/

avoid, for any future buyers on this thread.

I'm sorry for the outcome of your purchase which is supposed to be a nice experience, but it is clear they've nothing to do with revenue. You could try and resell in the north and take the hit, do the math and see if its worth it.

Agreed, that site is rubbish. The ros site also lets you down in that its difficult sometimes to be sure the car you're selecting on the site is exactly the one you're buying. It helps to have the v5c or just the vehicle variant as printed on this form. If you can find a match for this variant, plus the correct year, fuel, engine cc and co2 emissions then you can be confident the stat code and VRT estimate is correct. If there is a word in the variant name on the v5c, such as 'blue' or 'cdi' or 'sport', which is not showing on any of the ros variants, there's a good chance the OMSP and thus VRT for your car will be much higher than you expect, so do the homework.
    Back in 2009 a lot of guys thought they were importing the BMW 520D with the new N47 engine with low road tax and really low VRT, only to discover there were plenty of M47 older diesel engined 520Ds registered in 2008, huge tax and VRT. UK dealers were swearing these were the new type, didn't have a clue, and were not reliably reporting the emissions figure over the phone. Too late when your'e back home in the VRT office to discover you'd fked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

If you search facebook for car transport companies. Some of the companies form the North can be cheap as they are over and back all the time with lots of trucks and some will deliver down south too.

I have agreed a price of £7500 for 152 Hyundai i30, I paid a £250 deposit.

Do you think when I go over I'll have any room for more negotiation? Or is the price set in stone when they know your coming from Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

How long does it take after vrt before i get log book from revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

beaver111 wrote: »

A few days after you tax the car you’ll get the reg cert in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

heffo500 wrote: »

Do you think when I go over I'll have any room for more negotiation? Or is the price set in stone when they know your coming from Ireland?

How do you expect to negotiate a new price when you have already agreed on the price and paid a deposit on that agreed price?

Even if you didn't agree to the price already it would be hard to get anything off with UK dealers, they don't overvalue their cars in anticipation of haggling like Irish dealers do. Some of them would let you walk rather than give you £50 off. If it's from a car supermarket then forget it, you pay the windscreen sticker price and maybe a documentation fee on top of that. They will also try and up sell you servicing, valeting and warranty while you are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

beaver111 wrote: »

Check the motortax.ie website about 24 or 48 hours after the car is VRT'd. Use the last 6 digits of the car's VIN as the PIN. Once the car is in there then proceed to tax it online. The logbook won't be posted for a brand new or newly imported car until it is first taxed. There might be some delays at the moment as I think the Revenue system was experiencing problems yesterday due to all the brand new cars being registered. This could have knock on delays with newly registered imports too being uploaded on the system.

• Advertisement

heffo500 wrote: »

The time for negotiations was before you bought.

The time for negotiations was before you bought.

It's more would they fill the tank for free is what I'm after.

They may grudgingly do it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

They may grudgingly do it :)

I got charged 15 pounds on top of the price as they put 15 pounds worth in as garage policy.:pac:

Having said that, I got from the far side of Glasgow to Dublin with what was in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Lleyn elec

Looking at getting a Octavia Vrs from my research with the new NOx charge I need to be looking at Euro 6 cars which appeared around September 2015.
    Looks like a October 2015 had a NOx emission of 69mg per km which works out at
    (60 x €5) + (9 x €15) = €435

While an early 2015 euro 5 model had a NOx emission of 134mg per km which works out at
    (60 x €5) + (20 x €15) + (54 x €25) = €1950

The vrt is nearly the same for each.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 walzy

Lleyn elec wrote: »
    Looking at getting a Octavia Vrs from my research with the new NOx charge I need to be looking at Euro 6 cars which appeared around September 2015.
    Looks like a October 2015 had a NOx emission of 69mg per km which works out at
    (60 x €5) + (9 x €15) = €435

While an early 2015 euro 5 model had a NOx emission of 134mg per km which works out at
    (60 x €5) + (20 x €15) + (54 x €25) = €1950

The vrt is nearly the same for each.

Looking into something similar myself (estate version)...you might let me know how you get on/how it works out in the final price? Starting to wonder is it worth all the hassle/things to sort/take into account for what isn't quite the massive value savings that were there previously....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭User1998

This poster made good savings on an octavia recently. Importing is still the better option, don’t be lazy and end up getting ripped off by Irish dealers

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058040058/1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

User1998 wrote: »
    This poster made good savings on an octavia recently. Importing is still the better option, don’t be lazy and end up getting ripped off by Irish dealers

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058040058/1

Yep, made about €6k of a saving, picking it up on Friday! Which reminds me - do I need to take away the full V5 document or just the green new keeper slip? And do I need to notify the DVLA that I'm exporting the car or will dealer do all that?

toby2111 wrote: »
    Yep, made about €6k of a saving, picking it up on Friday! Which reminds me - do I need to take away the full V5 document or just the green new keeper slip? And do I need to notify the DVLA that I'm exporting the car or will dealer do all that?

The full V5, don't leave without it. It won't be registered with the green slip. You don't need to notify the dvla either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

michellie wrote: »
    The full V5, don't leave without it. It won't be registered with the green slip. You don't need to notify the dvla either

Cheers, just want to be sure I get everything I need. So I just need proof of sale and full V5 from car dealer? No other documents

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement