Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Robegirl

Robert

That was a good guide on importing a car to Ireland. I will be on secondment in ROI for next 6 months, I live in the UK and have bought a car which will come across with me, I may or may not stay in Ireland after the secondment, do I need to register my car in ROI during this time and is there any easy way I can find out how much this would cost?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Robegirl wrote: »
    ..do I need to register my car in ROI during this time and is there any easy way I can find out how much this would cost?

Thanks

Strictly speaking, yes, you do need to register it - even if only for six months and, after that time, the car returns to the UK and is put back on UK plates.

In practice, you may be able to get away with not registering it in Ireland for the six months. EU law doesn't require that you do anyway. You do risk your car being seized and impounded by customs though, theoretically, since Irish law requires that you register your car here if you live here, even if for a short period of residence.

If you've owned your car for at least 6 months in the UK, and if there's at least 6000km on the clock, you won't have to pay anything to register it in Ireland anyway.

Either way, UK plates or Irish plates, if the car "sleeps" at an Irish address, you want to get Irish insurance. Quinn Direct insure UK cars for unlimited duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

My sister is currently looking for a 2003 or 2004 Audi A3 in the uk.one we have found is a 2003 1.6FSI sport.The FSI bit is very important as it is far superior to the standard 1.6 engine.The thing is, though, that when i type the reg into cartell, it comes up as a standard 1.6, as opposed to an FSI model.Is it possible that cartell are wrong.BTW, does anyone know of any uk equivalents of cartell??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 bruno_12345

hi there, just back from the uk this morning. went over & picked up a lovely 98 golf SE. has everything sunroof a/c etc. well worth it. don't know if i saved any money on such an old car but the spec and condition are far better, considering i went to view 3 golfs in Dublin last weekend and they weren't even hovered out and another had a flat battery. so a bit of advice, get your ass over the pond & you won't be disappointed. if you want to know exactly how it all works, my story anyway, let me know & I'll be happy to let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

Zonda999 wrote: »
    My sister is currently looking for a 2003 or 2004 Audi A3 in the uk.one we have found is a 2003 1.6FSI sport.The FSI bit is very important as it is far superior to the standard 1.6 engine.The thing is, though, that when i type the reg into cartell, it comes up as a standard 1.6, as opposed to an FSI model.Is it possible that cartell are wrong.BTW, does anyone know of any uk equivalents of cartell??

http://www.rac.co.uk/web/vehicle-checks/car-data-check/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Anyone have a quick link to the vrt prices on cars with high emissions.

I want to get a cheapish car with a bit of power under my ass for the weekend, like a celica, Audi A3,Mg zs etc.

Prices Im being quoted are outrageous, anyone know a cheap fun car to drive that has decent emissions?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Simple rule, to avoid the VAT trap if importing 2nd hand car.
    It must be minimum 6 months old and have covered 6,000km minimum

Extract from www.revenue.ie

When is VAT chargeable and payable?
    New means of transport from other Member States of the EU

For VAT purposes a new means of transport is a goods or passenger vehicle that meets either one of the two criteria following:

* It is a new means of transport if it is a motor vehicle or motor-cycle (other than a tractor) supplied six months or less after the date of its first entry into service.
    * It is a new means of transport if it is a motor vehicle or motor-cycle (other than a tractor) that has travelled 6,000 kilometres or less.

If the vehicle meets either of these criteria the vehicle is treated as a new means of transport for VAT purposes and VAT is chargeable at registration.

(Note: In this context "entry into service" means registration in another jurisdiction. If not previously registered the vehicle is new.)
    Examples

Vehicle 5 months old with 8,000km - chargeable to VAT

Vehicle 7 months old with 5,000km - chargeable to VAT

Vehicle 7 months old with 8,000km - not chargeable to VAT

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Prices Im being quoted are outrageous, anyone know a cheap fun car to drive that has decent emissions?

Mini Cooper 1.6 TD 118grms/km
    Seriously good fun to drive- and in the lowest emission bracket.
    Then again- some people don't like Minis?
    Its a BMW in disguise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Was thinking of bringing a 2006 car in from the UK. After paying VRT, what road tax do I pay...........the c.c related version or the new Co2?
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Was thinking of bringing a 2006 car in from the UK. After paying VRT, what road tax do I pay...........the c.c related version or the new Co2?
    Cheers

Road tax on all but 2008 cars is charged on the old system ie by the engines cc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cooper38

Just drove up to northern ireland on saturday
    saved 4k on a rav4, paid deposit of £100 on credit card and will pay balance with currency.ie who quoted €200 less than boi

Car garage threw in £200 rac vehicle check.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

Going over to UK to collect a car on 30th. I've already organized with my current insurer (FBD) to cover me temporarily on UK reg. Do I need to bring any proof of temporary cover with me to UK just in case I'm stopped there or will my current policy papers suffice?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

As you have time, I'd get something in writing just to avoid potential hassle.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Excellent Guide folks, thanks.

I've been looking into going over to the UK next March/April when changing my car. In the original post on this thread the poster said to expect to be able to negotiate a 5% or so discount when paying cash from UK dealers. I rang a few dealers, told them I was looking at a number of cars and asked them what was the best they could do on their price. None of them offered anymore than around £50-100 off (c. £10K car). Is this typical or have others managed to get more sizeable discounts?
    Edit - 2nd question.
    Is it possible/advisable to be an AA/RAC check done on a car before travelling over (after paying a conditional holding deposit)?

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 33,946 ✭✭✭✭listermint

okedoke wrote: »
    Excellent Guide folks, thanks.

I've been looking into going over to the UK next March/April when changing my car. In the original post on this thread the poster said to expect to be able to negotiate a 5% or so discount when paying cash from UK dealers. I rang a few dealers, told them I was looking at a number of cars and asked them what was the best they could do on their price. None of them offered anymore than around £50-100 off (c. £10K car). Is this typical or have others managed to get more sizeable discounts?
    Edit - 2nd question.
    Is it possible/advisable to be an AA/RAC check done on a car before travelling over (after paying a conditional holding deposit)?

Steve

ALWAYS get the check done first. Other wise you are wasting travelling money if it ends up a dud.

As for the discount. In the current climate alot of the dealers have dropped to the limit on the cars. just check out the price the dealer are offering for the car versus the average private on autotrader. That should give you a round about of the discount potential.
    As for bargaining, they are never going to drop the price on the phone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Thanks Lister
    will get the check done before heading over. I was thinking that once your over there you'll have a deposit paid so you won't be in any position to negotiate a discount?

Steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Beta2

Hi all

This question has probably been asked already, but I can't find it anywhere.

I've been looking at a few cars to bring over from the UK and pricing them using the VRT website, however I notice sometimes the open market selling price is off by a good bit, e.g. the cars are going for 21K on cbg but the vrt site uses a value of 15k to calculate vrt due. So there is a difference of 1K or more in the vrt due.

So what I'm asking is, if I do a print out of the vrt quote from the website and then go to pay, will they honour it? or say, that quote is too low we're sticking an extra grand on it?

Cheers

B2

Most people's experience of a discrepancy would be that the OMSP is way above the real world market value. If you are finding the opposite, count your lucky stars, print it out and keep your fingers crossed. I'd say the chance of it suddenly going up on the day are slim, unless it's a newish car with lots of extras.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ballybrone

Currently there is myself ,wife and two kids in car seats .My wife is also expecting twins so need to change from a Ford Mondeo to one of the MPV with 7 Seats .Being doing some searching in Ireland and prices are very high .Has anybody on boards imported a people carrier or any views on whether I could make a big saving by going to the UK . Dont need it will end Jan 09 so wondering would I be mad to go buying in in 08 , Should I wait will 09 .

great thread. I just imported a car from the UK.

Its a year 2000. Even being 8 years old I reckon when VRT is paid and some minor work is done on the car I will save 1,500 euro approx.

Question is should I get the work done now and bring the receipts to hope the OMSP is reduced accordingly or get it VRT`d and appeal using the receipts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭stesaurus

great thread. I just imported a car from the UK.

Its a year 2000. Even being 8 years old I reckon when VRT is paid and some minor work is done on the car I will save 1,500 euro approx.

Question is should I get the work done now and bring the receipts to hope the OMSP is reduced accordingly or get it VRT`d and appeal using the receipts.

You can only appeal after you've paid. So pay the amount they ask then go for your appeal.
    Maybe go to a main dealer garage and ask them for a price on what they would offer you for the car, then ask them to put it in writing and use that with your appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 redcassie

Hi all, great site. I've been trawling the net for answers and no joy so hopefully someone here can help! What do you think- do we need to VRT the car?

Husband pays his taxes in the North, Northern citizen and has residence there also. The car in question has Northern reg I'm a named driver on the insurance BUT I will be using it in the south alot, i'm from the west so what happens if i'm stopped by customs/garda?:confused: Thanks for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

redcassie wrote: »
    Husband pays his taxes in the North, Northern citizen and has residence there also. The car in question has Northern reg I'm a named driver on the insurance BUT I will be using it in the south alot, i'm from the west so what happens if i'm stopped by customs/garda?:confused: Thanks for any advice.

Firstly, what's a Northern citizen? lol..

Ok, if you're an Irish citizen, resident in ROI, you're not permitted to drive a foreign registered car in the Republic anyway, iirc.

That's why, if you're an Irish citizen, resident in ROI and you import a foreign registered vehicle, you have to register it in the Republic no later than by the end of the next working day, follow the vehicle's arrival in the state.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

BUT I will be using it in the south alot, i'm from the west so what happens if i'm stopped by customs/garda?:confused: Thanks for any advice.

Car can be impounded until such time as VRT and any outstanding fines that may be levied by Customs and Excise are paid, and the car registered and taxed.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Car can be impounded until such time as VRT and any outstanding fines that may be levied by Customs and Excise are paid, and the car registered and taxed.
    There is not enough information to make this statement, imo.
    When you say 'has residence', do you mean 'has a house' or 'normally resides'? Where is your place of residence? If both of you have your place of residence in the North, then you can legally drive the car here. If your husband has his place of residence in the North, but your place of residence is here, you cannot drive the car here and it is probably liable to seizure. If both of you reside here, neither of you can drive the car here unless it is registered here.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Is the procedure as described in the OP the same if i'm (brother actually) picking up a shell and parts (it's a (old) mini project) in the uk from a car which is SORN'ed?

thanks,
    Jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

What documents do you have to present to the VRO when paying the VRT on a newly imported car?

On the ros.ie website, the car I'll be buying has multiple Co2 values, some in the 20% bracket, some in the 24%??

S.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Hey, Im considering importing a 2.0l Gti Almera from England. Lets say its £1650 (€2100) and add the €1000 euro to the price for flights etc.. What will I be paying for the vrt? I tried to calculate it before but couldnt lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

^Cheers for that! €640. Not too bad. I think lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement