Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

copacetic wrote: »
    6 month rule. Does anyone have more details on exactly the date that matters?

Is it 6 months from first date of registration in the UK to when you become owner?

Or is it 6 months from the first date or registration to the date you VRT it?

Neither- it the age of the car when its imported into the country (please correct me if I'm wrong someone!)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ To be on the safe side, I would think it best to have purchased the car after it is 6 months old. Based on earlier posts in this thread where the VRO were looking for a receipt to prove this.

Not your ornery onager

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

smccarrick wrote: »
    Neither- it the age of the car when its imported into the country (please correct me if I'm wrong someone!)

Apparently it is the date on your invoice that matters.

Which makes sense, if you buy it less than 6 months old in UK, you don't have to pay VAT, which means you should pay it here.

The VRO would have no way of knowing when you imported it, I guess the invoice date is all they have to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

The VRO would have no way of knowing when you imported it, I guess the invoice date is all they have to go on.

What about the ferry ticket?

benifa wrote: »
    What about the ferry ticket?

+1

When registering my Volvo I was asked to prove when it had been brought into the country. I was also asked to have the car ready for inspection (but when advised it was ready they didn't bother inspecting it).

S.

• Advertisement

either way, apparently it is all based on whether you would have paid VAT in uk or not. It's an EU wide 6 month rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

Apparently it is the date on your invoice that matters.

Which makes sense, if you buy it less than 6 months old in UK, you don't have to pay VAT, which means you should pay it here.

I brought in a new car (First reg on 29-mar-2008) and just paid the VRT on 01-Oct-2008 having driven it across the previous day. No questions asked or proof sought about date of purchase/importation even though it was just over 6 months.. This was in Santry VRO in Dublin :rolleyes:

Having said that, I did bring in the Invoice/Ferry ticket etc with me to the VRO, just wasn't required in the end..

reb73 wrote: »
    I brought in a new car (First reg on 29-mar-2008) and just paid the VRT on 01-Oct-2008 having driven it across the previous day. No questions asked or proof sought about date of purchase/importation even though it was just over 6 months.. This was in Santry VRO in Dublin :rolleyes:

Having said that, I did bring in the Invoice/Ferry ticket etc with me to the VRO, just wasn't required in the end..

thanks for that. Big bill if you get someone who decides to check though!
    What did you get?

Why a big bill? VAT has been paid in the UK and the car is more than 6 months old (I'm assuming it also has more than 6000km on the clock).

benifa wrote: »
    Why a big bill? VAT has been paid in the UK and the car is more than 6 months old (I'm assuming it also has more than 6000km on the clock).

Sorry I should have been clearer, Reb is saying that although he couldn't be charged, if he had brought in the car a week earlier they likely wouldn't have charged him either as they didn't bother to check the dates.

• Advertisement

Sorry I should have been clearer, Reb is saying that although he couldn't be charged, if he had brought in the car a week earlier they likely wouldn't have charged him either as they didn't bother to check the dates.

Ah, see what you mean now.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

wingnut32 wrote: »
    I am thinking of importing a car from the uk, what sort of checks do I need to get done, how much does it cost and who do I contact.

Apologies if this has been mentioned in this thread before.

Can anyone help with these noob questions?

wingnut32 wrote: »
    Can anyone help with these noob questions?

Yes mate, all the info you need is in this thread.

What did you get?

BMW E60 (520DSE) :D with 5700 miles on the clock. Invoiced on 13-Sep-2008 and kept in safe storage until 30-Sep-2008 when I flew over to collect the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cmore

I am seriously thinking about importing an 8 month old Audi A4 s-line with a raft of extras.

My question is when I present my documents to the VRO and pay registration will I be hit for the extras.

Thanks and sorry if this question was answered on page 59.:)

Chassis No of premium german marques less than 3 years old are normally forwarded to the manufacturer by VRO to get a list of extras applicable here in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 PeterMac

Hey all,
    I have read all 70 odd pages of this thread but have not yet found the answer. My situation is this:
    I have brought over my 2005 Renault clio 1.5 to Ireland a couple of weeks ago. I bought in england (as i live there now) about 7 months ago. I have now got a buyer close to home and am doing the deal this weekend. My Dad is going to bring the car to the VRT office in sligo on Monday. Can he just bring in the car, pay the money and give the "VRT man" the details (name and address) of new buyer? I persume this would register it in his name and the registration documents would get sent direct to him.
    If not what is the procedure? Do I have to be present (the person the V5 is registered with)?

Thanks in advance (great info in this thread by the way)

Peter

PS Anybody know what the going rate is for printing up new number plates and care to recommend a pace in sligo where this can be done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

PeterMac wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I have read all 70 odd pages of this thread but have not yet found the answer. My situation is this:
    I have brought over my 2005 Renault clio 1.5 to Ireland a couple of weeks ago. I bought in england (as i live there now) about 7 months ago. I have now got a buyer close to home and am doing the deal this weekend. My Dad is going to bring the car to the VRT office in sligo on Monday. Can he just bring in the car, pay the money and give the "VRT man" the details (name and address) of new buyer? I persume this would register it in his name and the registration documents would get sent direct to him.
    If not what is the procedure? Do I have to be present (the person the V5 is registered with)?

Thanks in advance (great info in this thread by the way)

Peter

PS Anybody know what the going rate is for printing up new number plates and care to recommend a pace in sligo where this can be done?

My advice would be get the new owner to VRT the Vehicle himself and you do not have to be present. The only other thing it to complete section C on the V5 (Registration Certificate) Notification of Permanent Export to let the DVLA in the UK know that the car is sold and exported incase you get a motor tax fine or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 PeterMac

Thanks mumhaabu fo the prompt response,

I am not sure that is going to be an option. If the new owner is not there, and I am not there, can my dad just pay the money on the new owners behalf so registration documents get sent to him (new Owner)?

ASlo I noticed last night that the exact make and model of my car is not on the VRT website. Will this cause a delay? How can I get around this delay, is there something I can do? For Info car is : Renault Clio 1.5 Dynamique 86BHp.

I have seen the section Export/import part of the V5 and am sending it to DVLA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

PeterMac wrote: »
    I am not sure that is going to be an option. If the new owner is not there, and I am not there, can my dad just pay the money on the new owners behalf so registration documents get sent to him (new Owner)?
    Hi,

The VRT office will not accept cash, generally a Banker's Draft is best. You should be able to get through like this. However the fact that the car specific model is not on VRT system could cause a 3-4 day delay.

• Advertisement

However the fact that the car specific model is not on VRT system could cause a 3-4 day delay.

They will contact a pre-approved dealership to determine an appropriate current Irish price for the car of that model and spec. (E.g. Joe Duffy group for BMWs etc).....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭coghlac3

Okay, firstly great post! So much info and detail. Many thanks to all who provided.

Have finally picked a car (2006 Honda Accord Exec) and found a reasonably priced one. I want to arrange for the vehicle to be inspected, many people here have recommended the AA or RAC. The car is in Surrey, London, and I am wondering if anyone could recommend who to use for the inspection.

Also I have been doing checks for the VRT. I firstly put in the following details for the car.

First Reg January 2006 : €8185

Then I used First Reg December 2005: €6861.

i.e. The car was a year older so the market price was cheaper.

So am I better off waiting until January to drive it home? Will Revenue have updated the Market Price by then?

Thanks in advance

Its to do with the UK registration year being structured in a different way to ours.

Re: VRT calculator- The longer you leave the car abroad- the older it gets, and the lower its resale value here- however it looses its value most quickly in year 1 and then tapers significantly...... Will there be a significant difference between leaving it from this December to January- a matter of weeks- no. The big difference is to do with the date the car was first registered in the UK- because it translates as a 2005 Irish reg, rather than a 2006 Irish reg (despite the fact that its a matter of days- my car was first registered in the UK on the 16th of December '03- however I got a 2003 Irish reg. Were the car a Jan 04 reg- my VRT would have been over 2k more than it was........

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Hi all,
    I'm importing a 1999 Golf Gti at the weekend.I've seen various opinions regarding whether I should or should not receive the V5 from the current owner. Some people are saying that the cureent owner sends it back to the DVLA to get a certificate of export and others are saying no that I should take the V5 with me? It's a private sale by btw.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

the owner in the uk will complete a section of the V5 and return it to the DVLA there in the UK.
    You will get the rest of the V5 to take with you and give to the nice VRT people here.
    it goes without sayin in a sale or private sale or an sale tbh- double check chassis no's, vin plates, data check the car etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

the owner in the uk will complete a section of the V5 and return it to the DVLA there in the UK.
    You will get the rest of the V5 to take with you and give to the nice VRT people here.
    it goes without sayin in a sale or private sale or an sale tbh- double check chassis no's, vin plates, data check the car etc etc.

Thanks Did all the usual HPI,Rac and it's all clear. Just need to match VIN to docs now and off we go.Thanks. I did it before but purchased from main dealer.This time it's a little different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Moanin wrote: »
    Thanks Did all the usual HPI,Rac and it's all clear. Just need to match VIN to docs now and off we go.Thanks. I did it before but purchased from main dealer.This time it's a little different

Great! check the engine no too just for the craic. if you can't locate it go on a golf gti forums, register and pop up a post asking where it is! Also make sure you get the radio code and spare keys and code etc etc
    Enjoy the trip and the spin home in your new GTI jammer!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭niall2j

Hi all, quick question I'm not sure has been answered... I'm thinking of importing a car from the UK and am pretty far along the process. The car at the moment is in Birmingham and is not taxed. Am I running any kind of a risk by driving the 300 km to Holyhead, or will I be safe if stopped by, say, showing them my ferry ticket?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭oddone

niall2j wrote: »
    Hi all, quick question I'm not sure has been answered... I'm thinking of importing a car from the UK and am pretty far along the process. The car at the moment is in Birmingham and is not taxed. Am I running any kind of a risk by driving the 300 km to Holyhead, or will I be safe if stopped by, say, showing them my ferry ticket?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

I did just that last weekend without a hitch.

But that's not to say you won't happen to be stopped,
    my drive to the boat was trouble free and I didn't come across
    any checkpoints so I really can't advise other than to say that
    I am sure your proof of purchase, the fact that you are exporting the
    car and and your irish license would deem it fairly acceptable practice
    in the eyes of the Uk police but I am sure I will be corrected if anyways
    wrong about that.

• Advertisement

oddone wrote: »
    I did just that last weekend without a hitch.

But that's not to say you won't happen to be stopped,
    my drive to the boat was trouble free and I didn't come across
    any checkpoints so I really can't advise other than to say that
    I am sure your proof of purchase, the fact that you are exporting the
    car and and your irish license would deem it fairly acceptable practice
    in the eyes of the Uk police but I am sure I will be corrected if anyways
    wrong about that.

I got an on-the-spot £80 fine for driving an untaxed vehicle to the ferry when stopped at a checkpoint. They said I would have gotten a summons too- but for the fact I was able to prove I had insurance on the car....... :(

It really depends on the officer and what they're checking for, I guess. Strictly speaking its an automatic fine for driving on a public road in the UK without tax- perhaps you'll get a sympathetic copper, perhaps not?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement