Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

The omsp on a 01 m3 is a bit over estimated at 23334 or 32k for a csl don't you think? Especially now. How do you contest this?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

DanGerMus wrote: »
    The omsp on a 01 m3 is a bit over estimated at 23334 or 32k for a csl don't you think? Especially now. How do you contest this?

find one here for cheaper, get a quote from a dealer etc, something in writing. Then you have to pay it first and appeal later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

copacetic wrote: »
    Then you have to pay it first and appeal later.

I hate the mechanics of which they operate.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭olewy

Hi all,

This has probably been answered somewhere in this long long thread but I've trawled through it to no avail......quick question if someone can answer:

Buying a used UK car in the UK that is over 6 months old and over 6,000 miles.....the cost that is quoted by UK car dealers on their websites: does this include sales tax (ie VAT) at 17.5% (or more acurately 15% now) even though UK VAT would have been paid by the first owner when it was purchased new in the UK originally?

I understand that UK VAT is not payable on imports to another EU country on a vehicle that is purchased "new" (read: under 6 months or under 6k miles).

But, if the quoted used price does include UK sales tax/vat, how do you go about getting that sales tax/vat off the cost of the motor via the UK dealer at the point of purchase? What forms need to be filled out.

Ideal scenario:
    • Car price quoted as GBP7,000 per UK dealers website.
    • 15% VAT included included in this price. 15% of GBP7,000 = GBP1,050. 7k - 1,050 = 6,950
    • Then haggle with an offer to pay in cash and get the price down from 6,950 to say 6,500
    Does this sound right to anyone or am i way off and blind with wishful thinking?

Answers on a postcard....:)

All commercial vehicles are +vat on pricing and only some passenger vehicles will qualify for Vat rebates. It goes without saying the you need to be vat registered.

• Advertisement

Thanks for reply, just clarify, the price quoted on UK dealers websites such as this for example: http://www.autoquake.com/vehicle/inspid=7648/channel=skupe (ie £7,834) DOES include a calculation of UK VAT in the price even though VAT on the car was originally paid for when purchased new and as an ordinary buyer without vat exemption (ie i don't have an Irish business and therefore a Vat number) I would end up paying the full £7,834 (less anything i managed to haggle off)? Read: no vat off for me. Full price.

Sorry to dumb this down...and lower the intelligence of the thread...just want to be clear 1st is all.

olewy wrote: »
    Hi all,

This has probably been answered somewhere in this long long thread but I've trawled through it to no avail......quick question if someone can answer:

Buying a used UK car in the UK that is over 6 months old and over 6,000 miles.....the cost that is quoted by UK car dealers on their websites: does this include sales tax (ie VAT) at 17.5% (or more acurately 15% now) even though UK VAT would have been paid by the first owner when it was purchased new in the UK originally?

I understand that UK VAT is not payable on imports to another EU country on a vehicle that is purchased "new" (read: under 6 months or under 6k miles).

But, if the quoted used price does include UK sales tax/vat, how do you go about getting that sales tax/vat off the cost of the motor via the UK dealer at the point of purchase? What forms need to be filled out.

Ideal scenario:
    • Car price quoted as GBP7,000 per UK dealers website.
    • 15% VAT included included in this price. 15% of GBP7,000 = GBP1,050. 7k - 1,050 = 6,950
    • Then haggle with an offer to pay in cash and get the price down from 6,950 to say 6,500
    Does this sound right to anyone or am i way off and blind with wishful thinking?

Answers on a postcard....:)

I think you misunderstand how it works, if you aren't liable for VAT the selling garage in the uk claims in back via form 411 in the UK.

However this is done so that you have to pay the VAT here. You will pay more doing it this way, not less.

i.e if you get a car VAT free in UK, you will have to pay VAT here.

This is only on 'new' cars. On all other cars just forget about VAT issues, you pay the price advertised less discount

Tks copacetic....definitely a case of wishful thinking on my part.

On a side note, have many people who have bought from the UK recently found that the dealers are already qouting their lowest prices or is there much room for discounts out there at the moment?

On a side note, have many people who have bought from the UK recently found that the dealers are already qouting their lowest prices or is there much room for discounts out there at the moment?

somewhere like autoquake has rock bottom 'no haggle' prices, elsewhere there may be room to move. big variations in uk pricing at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

A lot of them are at rock bottom at the moment. Sterling is free falling at the moment though so keep a close eye on that and get the best price possible on it!!

• Advertisement

Farls wrote: »
    A lot of them are at rock bottom at the moment. Sterling is free falling at the moment though so keep a close eye on that and get the best price possible on it!!

Intend to Farls...intend to! :) I can only get time to go over to the UK after the new year so I'm considering changing my Euros to Sterling asap while the exchange rate is good. I think I can use currency.ie for that and leave it sitting in the account until i need it.

On another side note, can anyone recommend any other good sites bar the usual autotrader.co.uk for sourcing cars in the UK? Using carpages.co.uk and fish.co.uk also but nothing popping out at me price/spec wise. I know what I want though (Audi A3 2.0 Tdi Sport 3dr 2004 upwards less than 50k miles...budget 10 to 13K euros inc VRT). The search is on...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Where the hell do the VRT guys get their prices from. :eek:

A car I was looking at in the UK was being sold at just under €4000 and they reckon it's worth €15,995 and want to charge over €5000 VRT on it. :mad:

kleefarr wrote: »
    Where the hell do the VRT guys get their prices from. :eek:

A car I was looking at in the UK was being sold at just under €4000 and they reckon it's worth €15,995 and want to charge over €5000 VRT on it. :mad:

I'm going to challenge the Customs and Excise office on this for two vehicles I've paid VRT on next week. OMSP was ridiculous...I'll let you know on here how I get on!

I'm going to challenge the Customs and Excise office on this for two vehicles I've paid VRT on next week. OMSP was ridiculous...I'll let you know on here how I get on!

It's absolutely astounding. Good luck.

It's absolutely astounding. Good luck.

According to some people on this thread you can produce a print out from carzone and they have no problem re-funding the difference!!

I doubt it will be that easy but I have a full assessors report on a vehicle with his valuation A LOT less than the OMSP I paid on!! So either customs refund the difference or insurance company will have to pay out more...either way I'm going to fight for it!! :D

According to some people on this thread you can produce a print out from carzone and they have no problem re-funding the difference!!

I doubt it will be that easy but I have a full assessors report on a vehicle with his valuation A LOT less than the OMSP I paid on!! So either customs refund the difference or insurance company will have to pay out more...either way I'm going to fight for it!! :D

Ah. So if the same car is €14000 over here on carzone, same year and spec, they'll refund the difference on €10000?

What in Gods name makes the car over here €10000 more than the car over there? Facking ridiculous.

Ah. So if the same car is €14000 over here on carzone, same year and spec, they'll refund the difference on €10000?

Not exactly...if the OMSP is say 20k and you pay 30% VRT on it that would be 6k

The theory here is though if you can prove that the OMSP should only be say 15k then the VRT should of been 4.5k so you should be refunded 1.5k :D

Now I'm far from nieve and don't expect this to be the case but from posts I've read back a few pages on this very thread this is what is being preached...so I'm going to see if I can get some of this pie!!

Not exactly...if the OMSP is say 20k and you pay 30% VRT on it that would be 6k

The theory here is though if you can prove that the OMSP should only be say 15k then the VRT should of been 4.5k so you should be refunded 1.5k :D

Now I'm far from nieve and don't expect this to be the case but from posts I've read back a few pages on this very thread this is what is being preached...so I'm going to see if I can get some of this pie!!

Still a bloody rip off. It means the car I was looking at would cost about the same again in VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Are that autoquake crowd any good?
    Their prices are rock bottom and they do an excellent review of each car, would still do an RAC check myself. I've seen one I'm definitely interested in, has anyone else dealt with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

@olewy: Two points.

1. VAT is not charged on secondhand cars in the UK afaik. The car you linked makes no mention of VAT.

2. Your calculation on how much you would get off a £7000 car if the price included VAT is wrong. The amount would be £913, i.e. £7000-(£7000/1.15).

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

esel wrote: »
    @olewy: Two points.

1. VAT is not charged on secondhand cars in the UK afaik. The car you linked makes no mention of VAT.

2. Your calculation on how much you would get off a £7000 car if the price included VAT is wrong. The amount would be £913, i.e. £7000-(£7000/1.15).

Tks Esel.....copacetic answered my queries on the previous page.

Are car dealers charged VRT when they import second hand cars?
    Also, what if someone gives you car as a gift, do you still have to pay VRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Are car dealers charged VRT when they import second hand cars?
    Also, what if someone gives you car as a gift, do you still have to pay VRT?

Yes and yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

With regard to VRT....
    I'm intending on leaving the car sitting until January (if I get it in before then).
    When I go to pay the VRT, do they just take it as if you've come straight in to them from the boat? Or do they look for receipts for selling date or something else?

Another thing, I remember somewhere else in this thread someone mentioned extras on the car. If the car is over 3 years old do they discount the extras on the car?

All the answers to your questions are in this thead and other. Use the search facility for ease.

Re; first question - they'll assume you're arrive in the last 24hrs and that you are a law abiding citizen ;-)

Re; second question, all extras are chargeable........you may get hit, you may not, depends on the official. Tho' these days i reckon they are under orders to charge for everything to get as much revenue in as poss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

just a quick question
    with all uk traffic cars now fitted with cameras that scan a number plate and can check if a car is insured in just a few seconds
    what happens if you get stopped?
    even though you have transferred temp cover to the uk car you wont have any proof(not on paper)
    has this happened to you robert?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

I'm looking for an 06 BMW X5 Sport. When I check the VRT on the revenue site it comes out at 36% of the OMSP. OMSP is approx €44,500, so VRT = approx €16,000. The price for one of these cars up north is about £20,000 or €22,500.

Haven't looked at this before, does that calc sound right?

There same car is about €45,000 down south for lesser spec. I made another offer to one of the main dealers today of €38k and was told to feic off.....

Based on what I've read here the VRT wont change much between now and Jan. Is that the right assumption?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Dazzy wrote: »
    I'm looking for an 06 BMW X5 Sport. When I check the VRT on the revenue site it comes out at 36% of the OMSP. OMSP is approx €44,500, so VRT = approx €16,000. The price for one of these cars up north is about £20,000 or €22,500.

There same car is about €45,000 down south for lesser spec. I made another offer to one of the main dealers today of €38k and was told to feic off.....

Based on what I've read here the VRT wont change much between now and Jan. Is that the right assumption?

It probably will change a bit between now and then.

Just mess around with the vrt calculator to see what the difference will be. eg Try a quote for a dec 07 x5 and the same for Jan 08 x5. Subtract the difference from your existing figure.

Also, what X5 is it? If it's diesel, the 36% is off no? Wouldn't have thought that the emissions were 225+

Get the official ones and check it out.

Thirdly, fcuk the dealers who wouldn't match your offer, it truly will be their loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

daRobot wrote: »
    It probably will change a bit between now and then.

Just mess around with the vrt calculator to see what the difference will be. eg Try a quote for a dec 07 x5 and the same for Jan 08 x5. Subtract the difference from your existing figure.

Also, what X5 is it? If it's diesel, the 36% is off no? Wouldn't have thought that the emissions were 225+

Get the official ones and check it out.

Thirdly, fcuk the dealers who wouldn't match your offer, it truly will be their loss.

Thanks.

Looking for Diesel. There are 7 different Sports on the ROS site. Tried another and the OMSP went up to > €59,000 :eek:

I'll get the actual emissions and try then. I think its only the new model that have the lower emissions!

• Advertisement

Dazzy wrote: »

on that straight 6 diesel Bm engine, the VRT is 32% i think.
    Re-check that again.
    ohhhhhhhhhh, and that dealer was foolish, very foolish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement