Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

It's 6000 kms.

I registered a 05 car during the summer with 5100 miles on the clock and it was okay from VAT viewpoint. I asked was it 6000 miles or kms, was told it's kms. I then passed a comment (half-joking) about if it were miles I'd have to drive it around for a few weeks until threre was 6000 miles on it, but they were very quick to tell me that if they had any doubts they would have asked me to produce the official invoice from where I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

olewy wrote: »
    Lol. No doubt.

Anybody remember if the OMSP values on ROS.ie changed much in early January 2008 from December 2007's values? Granted the car market was in a completely different state this time last year compared to how it is now but I'm just trying to get a general idea of how ROS.ie have adjusted their OMSP values around this time of year historically (e.g. over the last 5 years). Is there anywhere we can view a database of this kind of historical info to see if there has some kind of general trend? Tks.

I can't remember any exact number from last year but the changes were modest enough - of the order of 1000 euro per car ? I remember it as roughly being 3-4x the monthly change. This year - who knows ? There is no doubt that the OMSPs are light years away from reality at the moment, so there is definitely a correction warranted. However, it's not in the interest of either Revenue or SIMI to adjust the OMSPs to reality.

The Car Salesman's Price Guide (the "book") had a significant price correction in November, eg. 05 Corollas dropped by 1700 euro in that month. I had hoped that the VRO would have reflected this in the December OMSP adjustments but it didn't happen.

Of course there is no guarantee that the OMSPs will go down at all ... I have seen isolated cases where they went up (02 Focus 1.4 a year ago, 05 Hyundai last August).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Few questions.

I was just going to head over and try a load of cars in the next week or so but it seems very uncertain with car locations, flights and car rental locations being all over the place.
    1. Is the method at the start the best way to approach things? I've no need for an rac check.
    2. How much discount can you get for a cash deal on a 520d that is listed as 22K?
    3. Are all 08 BMWS efficient dynamics?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

On a point above.....

How long would any of you wait before bringing it to a VRT Office? I'd like to get mine as soon as possible because of the exchange rate but hang on a while to see if the VRT rate changes on new Market Price for 09.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Pauliwalnuts

I wouldn't be worried about the exchange rate mate. It's only going to get even better over the next few weeks. They are talking about dropping their interest rate by 0.75% again in Jan which will only devalue sterling further against the euro

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be worried about the exchange rate mate. It's only going to get even better over the next few weeks. They are talking about dropping their interest rate by 0.75% again in Jan which will only devalue sterling further against the euro
    That is speculation. The exchange rate right now takes into account all the rumour, speculation and facts.

I need to get a good exchange rate for payment this Friday. Currency.ie is gone so what should I do? Should I bargain with my bank?
    Dealer was looking to use debit cards, would they be ok in the uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Currency.ie is gone so what should I do?

Is it? Looks ok to me..

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

What is the resale like on cars imported from the UK? If you import a car and get it for less than the Irish equivalent and then try to sell it or trade it in after a couple of years, would you expect to get Irish or UK prices? In other words, is some of the saving eroded by lower resale values later on or is there scope for arbitrage?

My question is directed at those who have done this rather than a hypothetical situation.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Well having looked at currency.ie's guide I have decided to have cat.ie transport it back.

I estimated it would take me around 350-375 between buses, planes and taxis to get there and diesel, ferry as well as food and drink for the day.

When you pay the VRT what to do if the MOT Test doesn't come back within the month that the insurance cover you?

fkn complicated craic this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭CJackson

That is speculation. The exchange rate right now takes into account all the rumour, speculation and facts.

I need to get a good exchange rate for payment this Friday. Currency.ie is gone so what should I do? Should I bargain with my bank?
    Dealer was looking to use debit cards, would they be ok in the uk?

cant fault www.xe.com :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

Few questions.

I was just going to head over and try a load of cars in the next week or so but it seems very uncertain with car locations, flights and car rental locations being all over the place.
    1. Is the method at the start the best way to approach things? I've no need for an rac check.
    2. How much discount can you get for a cash deal on a 520d that is listed as 22K?
    3. Are all 08 BMWS efficient dynamics?

Thanks.

You should try and bargain at least 1k min off as you won't be trading in.

520D manufactured after Sep 2007 are Efficient Dynamics models.

reb73 wrote: »
    You should try and bargain at least 1k min off as you won't be trading in.

520D manufactured after Sep 2007 are Efficient Dynamics models.
    Got 600 off it in the end. Maybe could have got more if it wasn't over the phone. The fact that there are hundreds of Irish lads going for these cars now and the next few weeks does give the dealers a bit more power.

And ED isn't on all cars which I found out today with one MSport 2008 model. First thing the dealer said is, you're Irish and its not ED so you probably don't want it.

Currency.ie is closed for a few days so no use if you need a car this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Currency.ie is closed for a few days so no use if you need a car this week.

See also http://www.tranzfers.com/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cmore

I am thinking of purchasing an Audi A4 S-Line that was registered in May 08 and has 15000 kilometres so I know I don’t have to pay VAT in Ireland.

I will be buying from a main UK Audi dealer so my question is do I subtract the UK VAT off the list price?

I asked someone in the dealership today but he wasn’t at all sure (Skelton crew on over the Christmas I guess).

Sorry if this question was already answered in this mammoth thread.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

from an independent site but possibly pulled from the revenue site which I'm not goint to try searching:
    In the case of a new means of transport i.e. land vehicles (excluding agricultural tractors) that were supplied six months or less after the date of first entry into service or have travelled 6,000 Kilometres or less, VAT is chargeable and normally payable at the time of registration in the State, even where there is evidence, e.g. an invoice, that VAT was paid in the country of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

cmore wrote: »
    I will be buying from a main UK Audi dealer so my question is do I subtract the UK VAT off the list price?

No, your payment to the UK Audi dealer will include the VAT element.. Not sure why you are looking at subtracting the UK VAT?

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭hughm

when does revenue change the VRT rates for 2009,

i.e. if I buy a UK car in Jan will I pay more VRT than in Feb???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

hughm wrote: »
    when does revenue change the VRT rates for 2009,

i.e. if I buy a UK car in Jan will I pay more VRT than in Feb???

No-one knows, it could be more, less or no change...

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭hughm

but typically, all things being equal.. a 2000 registered Uk Car bought in 2008 will have higher VRT than a 2000 registered Uk car bought in 2009.

I was asking when do the VRT office recognise the car as being "1 yr older" as such and that the Open Market Selling Price in Ireland has dropped. Does is typically happen 1st Jan each year, or does it take a couple of months....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Easy to check, given the time of year. Do a calculation for your car now, and another one after January 1, and see if there is a difference.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

hughm

but typically, all things being equal.. a 2000 registered Uk Car bought in 2008 will have higher VRT than a 2000 registered Uk car bought in 2009.

I was asking when do the VRT office recognise the car as being "1 yr older" as such and that the Open Market Selling Price in Ireland has dropped. Does is typically happen 1st Jan each year, or does it take a couple of mo[/COLOR]

The OMSP is definitely not changed on Jan Ist. It should be ,but is not. whatever changes do happen are piecemeal. Many posters on various car buying threads have pointed out how illogical the system is. Perhaps the most interesting point I have recently read on Boards is that a great majority of appeals result in a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

cmore

Do you substract VAT on UK list price?
    I am thinking of purchasing an Audi A4 S-Line that was registered in May 08 and has 15000 kilometres so I know I don’t have to pay VAT in Ireland.

I asked someone in the dealership today but he wasn’t at all sure (Skelton crew on over the Christmas I guess).

Sorry if this question was already answered in this mammoth thread.

In answer to you question re UK vat, I believe that the Uk garage will discount the price by the amount of UK vat (currently 15 %), if the buyer ,from any eu country can produce a valid VAT number from the buyers country. The dealer can check with the UK VAt that the number is valid and probably further check that you are from that company. This leaves the car costing you less than otherwise. Due to many cases of VAT fraud ,all would need to be in order.

When you re register the car in Ireland, VRT is the only amount payable.

When you go to sell the car in Ireland I tHINK you have to account for the VAT.

Needless to say if you are not VAT registered in Ireland then all this is of no concern to you.
    Regards , Rugbyman

Hi Rugbyman

I am registered for VAT and I had a suspicion that I could make the purchase ex VAT but wasn't sure if it only applied to commercial vehicles. I intend to ring the dealership tomorrow and get talking to someone who has more knowledge of dealing with Irish VAT registered customers.

Thanks a million for taking the time to reply to this query.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

just back, long day and night, but has all worked in the end..

BOI let me down this morning on a money transfer, but transfermate stepped in got me setup and the money transferred in no time, a feat which BOI claimed was impossible!
    Was a little dubious about them due to them being closed Monday when website said they would be open, decided not to use them and stick with BOI.

Once I was forced to give them a go them came up trumps, despite
    a few little niggles getting setup. A nice rate of 97p too!

Now, can I squeeze some sleep in before work...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

I bought an Accord over from CarGiant the weekend before Christmas and thought I would share my experience.

I had drafts from BOI, and once I decided on a particular car, at the very last minute I noticed there was as a small crack on the windscreen - something that would certainly fail NCT. CarGiant got their mechanics to look at this and said that is indeed an MOT fail and they can't sell it like that. They said it usually takes them three days to get anything fixed on a car through their Service, but they rushed it through the next day for me (I was staying the night anyway) and sorted a new windscreen.

While there, I also test drove an 06 Mazda 1.6D - which was lovely car to look at with superb trim, but it was producing a strange grumbling noise when coasting / not accelerating. Again, they brought it to their mechanics who said there's certainly something wrong as that noise is very unusual. Car was still under Mazda warranty, but I couldn't take chances.

copacetic wrote: »
    just back, long day and night, but has all worked in the end..

BOI let me down this morning on a money transfer, but transfermate stepped in got me setup and the money transferred in no time, a feat which BOI claimed was impossible!
    Was a little dubious about them due to them being closed Monday when website said they would be open, decided not to use them and stick with BOI.

Once I was forced to give them a go them came up trumps, despite
    a few little niggles getting setup. A nice rate of 97p too!

Now, can I squeeze some sleep in before work...
    These guys are pretty useless for a company that says they are the best for UK car imports. They shut for the first 4 days of January which is madness.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

These guys are pretty useless for a company that says they are the best for UK car imports. They shut for the first 4 days of January which is madness.

Not sure why they would open on those days as the banks are closed here so can't transfer the money anyway? I guess it is pretty quiet and only the odd fool like me was doing the trip these few days anyway, makes sense to give your staff the few days off?

I was pretty pissed off that their website said they would be open 29th and 30th and they were only open half day on 30th though.

They should have really been open today though, don't understand that. Either way they were only partially open half of yesterday and got what I needed done at a good rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

positron wrote: »
    I bought an Accord over from CarGiant the weekend before Christmas and thought I would share my experience.
    hi positron,

how long did it take to drive from cargiants to the ferry? is the drive ok ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pinkbug

Hi

I want to buy a 2007/2008 vw beetle cabriolet 1.4 or a 1.6 up north as i heard it's way cheaper there . Really not to sure now from reading all of the previous boards.

I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Few questions: Is it cheaper buying from the north?
    Do I need to pay VAT aswell as VRT?

Really appreciate anyone that will help me

Thanks a mill

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement