Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

eoin wrote: »
    Do they not use the revenue's figures, and just carry out the actual inspection and administration themselves?

yes, I used NCTS to VRT a vehicle last week - they told me they are an "intermediary". They inspect condition, Current Milage,Vin's, Regs,Spec and fill out paperwork. If the statistical code for the car is on their system, they will allow you to settle the vrt there and then.
    If not, you fill out a form, leave your details and revenue will contact you directly as to when the code is now on the system, what the vrt amount is and when you can go back to the NCT centre to settle up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Trouble with who ?
    AGS could do you for driving a UK car without UK tax on the car, as far as I know. Not heard of them doing so though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Tragedy wrote: »
    AGS could do you for driving a UK car without UK tax on the car, as far as I know. Not heard of them doing so though.
    I'd be very surprised if that was the case, tbh.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if that was the case, tbh.
    Why? It's the case in the UK, Spain and France at the very least and if you look up the various acts, SI's and laws - it never qualifies it to being irish motor tax(same in UK).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

AGS ???
    THe AMerican Geriatric Society ?!?!?!?

• Advertisement

AGS ???
    THe AMerican Geriatric Society ?!?!?!?
    An Garda Síochána

An Garda Síochána

Hhaha. I see.
    I fail to see how they could do you for driving a uk reg car without uk tax. THey are not in the business of protecting her majesties income now are they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Hhaha. I see.
    I fail to see how they could do you for driving a uk reg car without uk tax. THey are not in the business of protecting her majesties income now are they ?

Because road tax (or equivalent) must be paid in the country in which the vehicle is registered.

Because road tax (or equivalent) must be paid in the country in which the vehicle is registered.

Yes but what if you get a car on export plates ? Its not required to be taxed int he country itself so you can hardly be done for not doing it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Yes but what if you get a car on export plates

Then it is not required that road tax is paid in the country of origin.

• Advertisement

Not true. The only way you don't need to tax export plates in UK/Germany, is if you don't use the car on the road.

UK Export plates are valid in the UK for 6months before requiring the car to leave the country, and are then valid for another 6 months but require tax/mot as applicable.

Not true. The only way you don't need to tax export plates in UK/Germany, is if you don't use the car on the road.

UK Export plates are valid in the UK for 6months before requiring the car to leave the country, and are then valid for another 6 months but require tax/mot as applicable.

Ok so how do I tax a new car that on export plates that spent only an hour in the uk and has never been taxed in the uk, in ireland, when I have to get an NCT inspection before I can tax it ? I don't have a UK address - how am I supposed to tax it there ? Am I supposed to sit in the car on the back of a tow truck when I want to go anywhere (including NCT testing centre ?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

a new car doesn't need an NCT, and you don't need an NCT to tax a car in ireland, although you do need an MOT to tax the car in the UK, again after a certain amount of time (think it's 4 years there).

Ok so how do I tax a new car that on export plates that spent only an hour in the uk and has never been taxed in the uk, in ireland, when I have to get an NCT inspection before I can tax it ? I don't have a UK address - how am I supposed to tax it there ? Am I supposed to sit in the car on the back of a tow truck when I want to go anywhere (including NCT testing centre ?)
    Why wouldn't you? Why would you be able to
    A) Drive an unregistered car around?
    B) Drive it around without tax if it's been registered?

It's not exactly nonsensical, if you're buying a new unregistered car in England - have it trailered over. It's what dealerships do.

If you're buying a second hand car that's out of tax, have the owner tax it before you buy it.

Whats the big conundrum?

a new car doesn't need an NCT, and you don't need an NCT to tax a car in ireland, although you do need an MOT to tax the car in the UK, again after a certain amount of time (think it's 4 years there).

Oh dear Lord someone is not at the races are they ? You ahve to big an imported car tot he NCT to evaluate your VRT
    Why wouldn't you? Why would you be able to
    A) Drive an unregistered car around?
    B) Drive it around without tax if it's been registered?

It's not exactly nonsensical, if you're buying a new unregistered car in England - have it trailered over. It's what dealerships do.

If you're buying a second hand car that's out of tax, have the owner tax it before you buy it.

Whats the big conundrum?

Money that's why. Why should I pay tax in another jurisdiction when the car has been exported from there and I lack an address over there to tax it. Why should I pay to have it transported around when I am perfectly willing to pay the tax here but the system won't allow me to do so until such and such a date ?

Money that's why. Why should I pay tax in another jurisdiction when the car has been exported from there and I lack an address over there to tax it. Why should I pay to have it transported around when I am perfectly willing to pay the tax here but the system won't allow me to do so until such and such a date ?
    It was up to you to ensure it had enough foreign Motor Tax to last til the NCT centre and Irish registration.
    It's not anyone elses fault to be quite honest.

Both cars I've imported had over 6months UK Motor Tax left on them, I didn't get any money back for unused Tax after they were exported.

It was up to you to ensure it had enough foreign Motor Tax to last til the NCT centre and Irish registration.
    It's not anyone elses fault to be quite honest.

Both cars I've imported had over 6months UK Motor Tax left on them, I didn't get any money back for unused Tax after they were exported.

Your not listening. Its never been taxed in the UK. I do not have a UK adress. Therefore I cannot register it in the UK. Before September first I could have taken it straight to the VRT office and sorted it out straight away. Since they've changed the rules you have to wait until NCT can fit me (also necessitating me taking another day off work by the way).

So yes it is someones fault. Its the fault of whatever revenue grabbing genius made the rule change on where you pay your VRT for not thinking through the full effects of the rule change.

Your not listening. Its never been taxed in the UK. I do not have a UK adress. Therefore I cannot register it in the UK.

Before September first I could have taken it straight to the VRT office and sorted it out straight away. Since they've changed the rules you have to wait until NCT can fit me (also necessitating me taking another day off work by the way).

So yes it is someones fault. Its the fault of whatever revenue grabbing genius made the rule change on where you pay your VRT for not thinking through the full effects of the rule change.
    I've gone over the DVLA, directgov and HMRC websites.
    Firstly, I was wrong, on export plates you don't have to tax the car but it makes no mention of what happens when the car leave the UK.

Chance it, have your copy of form 411 with you, and you should be ok(it's not like anyone who stops you is going to have a clue about all this either).

Oh dear Lord someone is not at the races are they ? You ahve to big an imported car tot he NCT to evaluate your VRT

no you don't, i did it this time last year. there was no mention of me needing an NCT at all. maybe the guy in the revenue office made that mistake, but i definitely wasn't asked to get one. although your spelling ...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

no you don't, i did it this time last year. there was no mention of me needing an NCT at all. maybe the guy in the revenue office made that mistake, but i definitely wasn't asked to get one. although your spelling ...:D

You have to bring your vehicle to the nct centre for them to decide how much vrt you pay.

• Advertisement

chasm wrote: »
    You have to bring your vehicle to the nct centre for them to decide how much vrt you pay.

fair enough, i didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

fair enough, i didn't.

It only came into effect recently ;)

Sigh. The rules changed on September first. My spelling may be wrong but my facts are up to date :D

I've gone over the DVLA, directgov and HMRC websites.
    Firstly, I was wrong, on export plates you don't have to tax the car but it makes no mention of what happens when the car leave the UK.

Chance it, have your copy of form 411 with you, and you should be ok(it's not like anyone who stops you is going to have a clue about all this either).

Cheers thanks. Hahaah yeah I expect you are right about the not having a clue thing.
    It does seem to be bit of a quagmyre.

all the sighing you do on boards i'd say your lungs are close to collapsing. you may wanna take a break on that one! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It does seem to be bit of a quagmyre.
    Giggidy, giggidy, gig-gi-dy! :D

glen-quagmire.jpg

Not your ornery onager

all the sighing you do on boards i'd say your lungs are close to collapsing. you may wanna take a break on that one! ;)

Worry more about the accuracy of your points than my breathing functino would you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Choco Cobs

I'm also looking to import a car from the UK sometime next year.

Could anyone please tell me if it's possible to choose what numbers are on your new Irish licence plate after you pay VRT?

For example, say I bought a car registered in 2003 and I live in Dublin could I make my plate read: 03-D-30 or something like that?

Any answers will be appreciated

- Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Choco Cobs wrote: »
    Could anyone please tell me if it's possible to choose what numbers are on your new Irish licence plate after you pay VRT?

You can choose your number but you are limited to your own county & are not allowed to go too far beyond the nymber already issued. Also you'll find that some of the lower (less than 100) are available to you.
    Details on how to reserve a number are here:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/vehicle-standards/vehicle_registration_numbers

Oh, it now costs €1,000 for the privilege.

hmmm... it says the fee used to be €315 which I probably would have paid to have a nice looking, clean plate. If it's €1000 now, I think common sense might tell me to not bother with it.

Thanks for the quick reply though!

• Advertisement

Another question concerning the VRT tax:

I have a brother who lives in England. Is there any way I can "use" him to get around paying the tax? It just seems to me the money is just as well thrown in a bin.

Thanks in advance

- Conor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement