Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 magna12

Choco Cobs wrote: »
    Another question concerning the VRT tax:

I have a brother who lives in England. Is there any way I can "use" him to get around paying the tax? It just seems to me the money is just as well thrown in a bin.

Thanks in advance

- Conor

It's not thrown in the bin, it goes towards the State. Pay it and don't be scrounging.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Choco Cobs wrote: »
    Another question concerning the VRT tax:

I have a brother who lives in England. Is there any way I can "use" him to get around paying the tax? It just seems to me the money is just as well thrown in a bin.

Thanks in advance

- Conor

Don't ask for advice like that here please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Fireball14939

Hi All, I have a question. I got a car imported last week from the UK. I bought it through a dealer and the VRT was sorted, I am just waiting on Vehicle register certs so that I can tax the car. Today I got a fixed penalty notice on the car, from a traffic warden, as there was no tax on the car. I spoke to the Gardai and they said that I have to pay the fine as the car should be taxed and shouldn't be on the road otherwise. Is this the case, I thought that once I showed I was in the process of taxing the car, that it would be ok. In effect I could get a fine every day until I get the tax sorted. Anyone got advice. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Hi All, I have a question. I got a car imported last week from the UK. I bought it through a dealer and the VRT was sorted, I am just waiting on Vehicle register certs so that I can tax the car. Today I got a fixed penalty notice on the car, from a traffic warden, as there was no tax on the car. I spoke to the Gardai and they said that I have to pay the fine as the car should be taxed and shouldn't be on the road otherwise. Is this the case, I thought that once I showed I was in the process of taxing the car, that it would be ok. In effect I could get a fine every day until I get the tax sorted. Anyone got advice. Thanks

Yes, tax the car.

You are allowed 3 working days in which to tax the car after paying the VRT.

You can tax the car on line without the vehicle register cert. All you need is the reg number (from the VRT receipt) and a PIN usually the last 4 digits from your VIN in the case of an imported vehicle.

And from memory (what i did when I imported) you can also tax the car in the tax office using a form for imported vehicles.

Really you dont have much of an excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Fireball14939

Thanks all sorted. Car still in name of garage I bought it from. got the vehicle reg cert today. Taxed tonight, disc by Tuesday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Apologies if I've missed this elsewhere, but have searched the archives and can't find an answer.

Since the change over to NCT for paying VRT, and the apparent mismatch between the ROS calculator and actual rates paid at NCT centres, is there currently any way of getting a reliable quote for VRT in advance of importing the vehicle to the state?

Are a lot of people reporting much higher figures than what they're getting on the VRT site?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

If you put in the correct information on the ROS website then the quote should be fine. The usual problem is that people put in the incorrect info on the ROS website (incorrect model, incorrect emissions, that sort of thing), therefore getting a different answer.

I register imports on a regular basis, 4 since procedure changed, and have never had to pay anything different to what the ROS website quoted.

eoin wrote: »
    Are a lot of people reporting much higher figures than what they're getting on the VRT site?

Yes

Perhaps I should have posted my query there :D

Crap, that's worrying - was looking at bringing something over myself, but not too sure now.

• Advertisement

lifer_sean wrote: »
    If you put in the correct information on the ROS website then the quote should be fine. The usual problem is that people put in the incorrect info on the ROS website (incorrect model, incorrect emissions, that sort of thing), therefore getting a different answer.

I register imports on a regular basis, 4 since procedure changed, and have never had to pay anything different to what the ROS website quoted.

For certain vehicles it's impossible to find the spec you're looking for. And if you read that thread, there are lots of cases of people entering the correct information and being charged more come registration time.

lukester wrote: »
    For certain vehicles it's impossible to find the spec you're looking for.

Different issue. If your spec isn't on the system then you can't get a quote online. A "similar" but not identical spec may give you a guideline, but it's not a quote.

Not saying others didn't have problems, but in 5 years of importing cars as a business I have never paid anything more than what the ROS website asked for. My experience, on a statistically valid sample size !

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭PSKdesign

Thanks Robert, just bought a UK reg car yesterday, and I was wondering if the guy was honest about the steps to do regarding registration, but I see he told me exactly same things as you.
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kebrosnan

I have just gone through this process last week bringing in a 08 535d and got stung for extra over the ROS quote as the car was loaded with a number of extras. Speaking with the guy in the NCT centre, he said all Audi, BMW and Merc's less than 4 years old go to a manual calculation and so ended paying more. From what I have heard, other makes never get checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

COMMERCIAL CONVERTED JEEPS DONT QUALIFY FOR 50 EURO VRT FROM JANUARY 1ST !

the new rules are coming in and if you convert a vehicle its 13.3% vrt , and even if its purely commercial from factory theres a list of specified vehicles coming in under the N1 catagory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭ko4jm6y9iwv2lc

Considering importing a Citroen C4 (2005) from Northern Ireland. I just checked online and I was given a qoute of over €17.5K for OMSP and €3.5k for VRT. How accurate are those figures?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Considering importing a Citroen C4 (2005) from Northern Ireland. I just checked online and I was given a qoute of over €17.5K for OMSP and €3.5k for VRT. How accurate are those figures?

Sounds very expensive to be honest. The residuals on a C4 are pretty appalling- imho you should be able to pick up a 2005 model for considerably less than this.

COMMERCIAL CONVERTED JEEPS DONT QUALIFY FOR 50 EURO VRT FROM JANUARY 1ST !

the new rules are coming in and if you convert a vehicle its 13.3% vrt , and even if its purely commercial from factory theres a list of specified vehicles coming in under the N1 catagory

Was that not the case for the last while ? Some 4x4s at flat rate and some at 13.3%, eg weren't the SWB 4x4s at 13.3% for the last few years ? What exactly is changing ?

What spec C4 are you looking at - something exotic ? You could buy a 05 C4 1.4 petrol 5dr here for not much more that that VRT quote - you should buy one for 4000 euro or less.

17.5k OMSP for 2005 - how much is a new one ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

17.5k OMSP for 2005 - how much is a new one ?

http://www.citroen.ie/templates/citroen05/downloads/carpricelist.pdf

C4 starts @ 20k and goes up to 31k with maximum specs (E.g. 7 Seater, EXCLUSIVE, 1.6HDi 16V 110hp DPFS‡ EGSΔ)

Secondhand you'll get a C4-

1.6 HDi 7 seater Year 2008 for 19k (D reg)
    1.6 HDi 7 seater Year 2008 for 16k (CW)
    1.6 HDi 7 seater Year 2008 for 14k (WX)
    1.6 HDi Privilege trim Year 2007 for 15,900 (G)
    1.6 HDi Grand trim Year 2007 for 15,500 (TN)
    1.6 HDi 7 seater Year 2007 for 13k (KE)
    1.8 Petrol Dynamique trim 7 seater Year 2007 for 13k (KK)

Older than 2007 models wouldn't be sold by main dealers.....

In short- the price you're being charged in Northern Ireland for a 2005 is ridiculous- you can get far better value down here (without even having to shop around too hard).

This link may be of help: http://www.citroen.ie/UsedCars/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I am picking up a 07 Passat se (Aug 07) 105bhp 1.9TDI tomorrow it shows up for 2250 on ROS , will I save anything by keeping it off the road until Jan ?

Thanks

You've only 30 days to register it From this site:
    1. The new registration process

An appointment to have your vehicle inspected must be made within 7 days of the vehicle entering the State in order to register and pay the VRT (and any other tax liabilities due on the vehicle). You must then complete the registration process within 30 days of arriving in the State.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Brought in my wifes 08 1.6 diesel C-Max from NI.

I went onto ROS and go the print out of the VRT for the NCT valuation in Mayo, it was 1797 euro.
    Took the car to them and your man was sound in fairness, did all the checks and told me the car was standard Zetec.
    Said to take a seat and came back with the VRT, 2255 euro. As you can imagine after reading the threads here I went on the offensive.
    He took me to the office and we went onto the ROS.ie website, he went through the each stage and printed out the price and sure enough he was right.

On the ROS site for some unknown reason, they have Focus CMAX in the list, but further up it they also have CMAX.
    I picked the Focus CMAX and chose the details of the car BUT I didn't match the Co2 like I did the year and exact model.
    In the CMAX section it had the exact model and Co2, so I didn't get the exact match.

I did feel a little embarrassed as I went straight on the offensive but he was right in this case and was very concise in showing me the steps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭ko4jm6y9iwv2lc

What spec C4 are you looking at something exotic?

Its just a 1.4 petrol.
    You could buy a 05 C4 1.4 petrol 5dr here for not much more that that VRT quote.

Thats why I'm posting here. I got that VRT qoute of 3.5K off the ROS website. I know its a crazy figure but if I do import the car is that the figure I will be charged regardless of how of the wall it is?

The car in question is Citroen C4 1.4 petrol 3Dr with 50k miles. I'm afraid to import if there is even a posibility that this is the VRT I will be charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Invincible

Have deposit on 2010 Avensis TR D-4D,originally registered mid June,so to qualify for VAT exemption here,won't get to import until mid Dec,VRT quote of €3748,if I leave it until January to import,would the VRT decrease by anything worthwhile?

Thank's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Cant see the answer to this one so apologies if already asked.

Does the new registered owner have to be present with the car? i.e. If I travelled to the NCTS centre with all the correct paperwork including utility bill passport etc of the new owner can I register the car in their name?

I've brought the GF's previous car in for NTC a few times and it's been ok but just wondering if she will have to present the car herself (take time off work) or if I can drop it in as it suits me better.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Not certain of the answer, but if you are trying it, be sure to have her signature on any forms required before you go. A letter of authorisation might be a good idea too.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kebrosnan

esel wrote: »
    ^ Not certain of the answer, but if you are trying it, be sure to have her signature on any forms required before you go. A letter of authorisation might be a good idea too.

Hi Cargo, as far as I am aware, Esel is correct here. In my case, I took the car myself to the NCT centre but was told that the VRT amount had to be manually verified and that I would have to come back another day with money in hand. I asked if my wife could do it and I was told yes once she had a written letter of authorisation. To confirm, you can always ring the booing line 1890-927787.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

esel wrote: »
    kebrosnan wrote: »
    Hi Cargo, as far as I am aware, Esel is correct here. In my case, I took the car myself to the NCT centre but was told that the VRT amount had to be manually verified and that I would have to come back another day with money in hand. I asked if my wife could do it and I was told yes once she had a written letter of authorisation. To confirm, you can always ring the booing line 1890-927787.

Thanks for the replies guys. Was passing there a while ago and just popped in to the local centre to ask and was told no the new registered owner does not have to be physically present and I can indeed present the car myself on her behalf. (will get all the forms signed before I go down)

Thanks again folks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 NKELLY1

Hi All

Looking for help with the above. I am in the market for a new Audi A4 TDIe. I got prices from Irish dealers but a well known dealer in Dublin says he can get same car from UK with a much higher spec for less than quoted here. The car is new but will have about 20 miles on clock. Will have all taxes & import duty paid!:)

Any views - is this to good to be true.

I have heard that they brought in about 20 new a4s last year with no problems.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement