Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

smccarrick wrote: »
    Its strictly speaking not a tax on imports (as successfully argued by Ireland, Portugal and Denmark to the European Commission). It is however an impediment to the free movement of goods and services, and viewed by the Commission as a distortion in the crossborder sale of second hand vehicles. Ireland, Portugal and Denmark are all on notice, and incurring fines, for failure to reform the regime, as it pertains to the sale of second hand cars.

But, the tax is the same for vehicle bought in Ireland and for vehicles imported to the state.

I'm still waiting, after all these years, for someone to post proof of these "fines" Ireland is paying the EU for VRT.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

R.O.R wrote: »
    But, the tax is the same for vehicle bought in Ireland and for vehicles imported to the state.

I'm still waiting, after all these years, for someone to post proof of these "fines" Ireland is paying the EU for VRT.

The impediment (as viewed by the Commission) is the manner in which the VRT regime works. If Ireland were to become compliant- the registration tax would have to be based on the actual purchase price of the car in another Member state- rather than on a notional open market selling price as determined by Revenue. There is also an 'opinion' (rather than a judgement) that the requirement to pay the VRT within 24 hours of importing the vehicle is unlawful.

I'll see if I can find an accessible list of the fines outstanding against Ireland (aka fines determined by the Commission, but not collected/imposed). I know offhand of over a billion in uncollected fines (about a quarter related to failure to sufficiently protect or monitor fisheries- the other 800 million are a long and bewildering list- we're even being fined for not charging domestic water rates). I'll try to find a publicly available list for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Silpac

MikeOis wrote: »
    Wow, what a excellent thread!! I'm hoping to bring in a 2010 ford Galaxy from the Uk
    Just 3 questions,
    1/ I know, a number of times this has come up here, but I still cannot get a definite answer, if the car which your importing is on the VRT calculator, but not the spec. What can you do to confirm the correct VRT? By the sounds of it, you have to take a risk!!
    2/ CO2 emissions, What is the correct document if the manufactures certificate is not acceptable (From a previous reply)
    3/ Can anybody confirm that they have used 'Currency.ie' and any comments would be grateful.

Can anybody recommend any good ford dealers in the Uk/NI

Any replies would be great!

Thanks,
    Mike

Mike,

Did you complete your pruchase / get an answer. I'm also looking at a 2010 Galaxy in the UK and wanted to understand if there is any difference in VRT between a Galaxy Zetec / Titianium or Ghia.
    My question is - if the CO2 emissions for each are the same then can I assume (all other things being eqial) that the VRT is the same. The reason I ask is the VRT site calculator seems a bit "hair-brained" and gives different answers for Ghia v's others - but this is primarily because it sucks in a differnt CO2 reading , so the "Ghia" could in fact be some older car in the system.
    I keep hearing that the Spec does not matter but I can see how a same engine car, with same CO2 could have different OMP's and therefore a different VRT charge.

Silpac wrote: »
    My question is - if the CO2 emissions for each are the same then can I assume (all other things being eqial) that the VRT is the same.

If the CO2 emissions are the same- the road tax will be the same. The VRT however is calculated based on the Irish Open Market Selling Price- and has nothing whatsoever to do with CO2 emissions. Its entirely plausible that the different specs will have totally different VRT demands associated with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Wigster

All,

I am buying a car from a reputable dealer. He has faxed over the details of the car including log book. He also faxed HPI check on the Car. The car in question has come from another garage as he was on the look out for me. The HPI details that there are 2 HPI agreements. One form previous owner and one from I assume the other garage. (This detals unit stocking) I contacted the first company and they informed me there is still finance on the car. The dealer in question is not concerned and has said it is their problem and not mine. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Wigster

Just re reading my post and the dealer that I am buying the car has said its his problem if there is an issue. He said it is only an issue if I was buying private?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I am by no means an expert in this area, but I would think what your dealer means is that you will have recourse to his company if a problem transpires with the outstanding finance - rather than you trying to locate/sue a private seller who would more than likely have disappeared in the meantime. The question for you would therefore seem to be: are you confident that your dealer will still be in business when/if a problem arises? If you decide to go ahead, get a binding written commitment.

If it was me, I would be seeking independent advice from an expert - solicitor or bank manager?

Not your ornery onager

Once there is an outstanding HP agreement relating to the vehicle, the title for the vehicle is vested in the HP company, not in the dealer, and until such time as the HP agreement is concluded in full (aka the outstanding balance paid off), the dealer cannot legally sell you a title to the car granting you ownership of the vehicle.

It may only be a matter of shifting some papers from one stack to another stack- however you really have no business buying a vehicle with o/s finance agreements on it- until these have been resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

On a newly imported second hand car, is the tax rate based on the engine size or emissions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

bennyx_o wrote: »
    On a newly imported second hand car, is the tax rate based on the engine size or emissions?

Depends on the year of the car.

• Advertisement

Depends on the year of the car.
    Most likely between 2002-2005

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Silpac wrote: »
    Mike,

Did you complete your pruchase / get an answer. I'm also looking at a 2010 Galaxy in the UK and wanted to understand if there is any difference in VRT between a Galaxy Zetec / Titianium or Ghia.
    My question is - if the CO2 emissions for each are the same then can I assume (all other things being eqial) that the VRT is the same. The reason I ask is the VRT site calculator seems a bit "hair-brained" and gives different answers for Ghia v's others - but this is primarily because it sucks in a differnt CO2 reading , so the "Ghia" could in fact be some older car in the system.
    I keep hearing that the Spec does not matter but I can see how a same engine car, with same CO2 could have different OMP's and therefore a different VRT charge.
    I brought in a 2010 Galaxy last month. In theory spec does matter but I see where ROS is throwing up strange values (Zetec worth more than equivalent Ghia). The VRT amount I was to be charged was taken directly from the online calculator by the girl in the NCT office. So it might make sense to concentrate on a variant the calculator is undervaluing if you can spot a big discrepancy. Make sure the CO2 on the V5 form you get with the car is the same or adjust the VRT accordingly.

The VRT however is calculated based on the Irish Open Market Selling Price- and has nothing whatsoever to do with CO2 emissions. Its entirely plausible that the different specs will have totally different VRT demands associated with them.
    The VRT does depend on CO2 emissions. VRT is a percentage of the Open Market Selling Price but what percentage is determined by the CO2 emissions. In my case a CO2 rating of 165g meant I paid VRT at 24% of OMSP.

Most likely between 2002-2005
    All VRT is Co2-based.

Motor tax on all pre-2008 cars (based on date of first registration) is based on cubic capacity of engine.

Motor tax on cars first registered between 01-01-2008 and 30-06-2008 can be either on engine capacity or CO2 (whichever is cheaper).

Motor tax on cars first registered from 01-07-2008 is based on CO2.

'date of first registration' means first registration anywhere in the world, not the date the car is first registered in this State.

I sincerely hope the next person who is unsure on these issues would take the bloody time to do a Search before asking here!

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    All VRT is Co2-based.

Motor tax on all pre-2008 cars (based on date of first registration) is based on cubic capacity of engine.

Motor tax on cars first registered between 01-01-2008 and 30-06-2008 can be either on engine capacity or CO2 (whichever is cheaper).

Motor tax on cars first registered from 01-07-2008 is based on CO2.

'date of first registration' means first registration anywhere in the world, not the date the car is first registered in this State.

I sincerely hope the next person who is unsure on these issues would take the bloody time to do a Search before asking here!

Thanks. I did do some searches but I'll admit I didn't search the thread. Might I suggest adding the above information to the first post?

Sorry for shouting! Agreed, it can be difficult to construct a relevant search sometimes. The Advanced Search option can be very useful in this regard.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Any sign of those links about fines smccarrick?Even the most fervant ranters about VRT (ie the guy from Donegal that showed up a while back who was fronting a campaign) have had to back down eventually when challeneged about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Just a quick reminder,, when buying a car in the UK,make sure you ask and also explain that you need the WHOLE registration document for the car, as when a car is sold in the UK to a UK resident, they have to send a portion off to the DVLA,,, which is then forwarded to the new owner,, But seen as your importing the car to Ireland, you need to bring the COMPLETE document with you to the VRT office. Hope this helps,, if this info has alredy been posted,I do apologise,

Any sign of those links about fines smccarrick?Even the most fervant ranters about VRT (ie the guy from Donegal that showed up a while back who was fronting a campaign) have had to back down eventually when challeneged about that.

I can't find documents that are publicly available, or official statements that I'm allowed to quote. I will continue to look. I'm not involved in the VRT fines- I am however involved in some of the other fines that have been imposed but not collected (and which Ireland hope will be waived). I don't work in DEHLG- but have a colleague there trying to see what she can legitimately release. She may need an FOI request, which I'll do in due course.

ardle1 wrote: »
    Just a quick reminder,, when buying a car in the UK,make sure you ask and also explain that you need the WHOLE registration document for the car, as when a car is sold in the UK to a UK resident, they have to send a portion off to the DVLA,,, which is then forwarded to the new owner,, But seen as your importing the car to Ireland, you need to bring the COMPLETE document with you to the VRT office. Hope this helps,, if this info has alredy been posted,I do apologise,

Is there not a section on the V5 that needs to be sent to the DVLA?

• Advertisement

Is there not a section on the V5 that needs to be sent to the DVLA?

Yes. Section 11 - Notification of Permanent Export.

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/a730220-V5C_page4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

Quick Question guys.

A guy I know brought in an 03 Audi A4 about ~1year ago. a few days later he was given a company car so he has since left this A4 in his shed
    (Still on UK Plates)
    He has now agreed to sell it to me as is on UK plates.

On the NCT/VRT sites they ask for the invoice/importation to be within 30 days or a penalty will be imposed.

Can I get him to just write me a receipt when I collect it or has anyone any idea's as to what way will they NCT boys be looking at this??

tombull82 wrote: »
    On the NCT/VRT sites they ask for the invoice/importation to be within 30 days or a penalty will be imposed.
    Can I get him to just write me a receipt when I collect it

I think you've answered your own question.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

:D So I did,

But more so what I was wondering is would a receipt from a private individual stand or would they be needing a shipping receipt for proof of import date etc?
    I think you've answered your own question.

tombull82 wrote: »
    But more so what I was wondering is would a receipt from a private individual stand or would they be needing a shipping receipt for proof of import date etc?

All documents above are compulsory and the vehicle will not be registered unless they are all presented with the vehicle at registration.

Used Vehicle:
    1) Please print and fill out the following Declaration Form for the Registration of a used Vehicle/ Motorcycle

2) Evidence of previous registration e.g. foreign certificate of registration, a certificate of permanent exportation or a certificate of de-registration, as appropriate (this document will be retained by NCTS so please ensure you make a copy of it before you go to the test centre).

3) Invoice which must have the date of purchase/sale clearly indicated

4) Documentation verifying the new registered owner’s name and address (Utility Bill, Bank Statement, please note original documentation will only be acceptedand must be no older than 6 months)

5) Personal Public Service (PPS) Number of the person in whose name the vehicle shall be registered to (Official documentation will only be accepted i.e Social Services Card, P60)

6) For vehicles imported from Northern Ireland, where the invoice is dated more that 30 days earlier than the date the vehicle is presented for registration, details of where the vehicle was stored. For vehicles purchased in the EU, we require shipping details to confirm the date of arrival of the vehicle in the state. For vehicles outside the EU, we require the single administrative number and the date it was issued by customs at the point of entry to the EU.

7) Where an exemption from VRT is claimed, the exemption notification letter issued by Revenue.

8) Documentation (as approved by the Revenue Commissioners) confirming the level of CO2 emissions of the vehicle at the time of manufacture (if this information is not on the foreign certificate of registration). Where evidence of the level of CO2 emissions of the vehicle at the time of manufacture is not available at registration VRT will be charged at the highest rate applicable.

9) For vehicles over 4 years old, an unexpired roadworthiness certificate confirming that an equivalent to the NCT test has been passed. The vehicle will be called for a roadworthiness test (NCT) shortly after registration.
    http://www.ncts.ie/vrt.html

"Invoice which must have the date of purchase/sale clearly indicated" << that's all it says.

http://www.ncts.ie/vrt.html

"Invoice which must have the date of purchase/sale clearly indicated" << that's all it says.
    But it would probably want to have been issued by the person named on the V5 as the previous owner or I would think there are likely to be questions asked.

But it would probably want to have been issued by the person named on the V5 as the previous owner or I would think there are likely to be questions asked.

I don't see why.

In the UK for example, it's legal that a vehicle's legal owner can be different from it's registered keeper as listed on the V5C (that may also be the case in Ireland, I don't know).

Once the rules have been complied with, I don't think there is much cause for concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I can't find documents that are publicly available, or official statements that I'm allowed to quote. I will continue to look. I'm not involved in the VRT fines- I am however involved in some of the other fines that have been imposed but not collected (and which Ireland hope will be waived). I don't work in DEHLG- but have a colleague there trying to see what she can legitimately release. She may need an FOI request, which I'll do in due course.

So theres nothing at all in the public domain at either local or EU level explaining where millions are dissappearing to every year and despite every aspect of public spendign being picked through over the last couple of years aswell as the guy and his campaign I mentioned going on about it without a shred of evidence then dropping it altogether no one has managed to come up with a bit of useable evidence?

Surely the EU would be quite upfront about countries they are fining etc and where the money is?

Where do I sign up to get a few mill cyphoned off to my account that nobody will question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

So theres nothing at all in the public domain at either local or EU level explaining where millions are dissappearing to every year and despite every aspect of public spendign being picked through over the last couple of years aswell as the guy and his campaign I mentioned going on about it without a shred of evidence then dropping it altogether no one has managed to come up with a bit of useable evidence?

Surely the EU would be quite upfront about countries they are fining etc and where the money is?

Where do I sign up to get a few mill cyphoned off to my account that nobody will question?

Ansbacher.......

....no.....wait...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭S'

Quick question lads.

I'm importing a car from the UK on Friday.
    As far as I'm aware I need to get the car inspected at the ncts centre wintin 7 days & then I have 30days to pay the VRT. Is this correct?
    Can I drive the car in Ireland for the 30 days on UK plates? Or is there something else to it!

11.2kWp E/W split arra. Mayo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement