Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

S' wrote: »
    Quick question lads.

I'm importing a car from the UK on Friday.
    As far as I'm aware I need to get the car inspected at the ncts centre wintin 7 days & then I have 30days to pay the VRT. Is this correct?
    Can I drive the car in Ireland for the 30 days on UK plates? Or is there something else to it!
    You have 7 days in which to make an appointment to get the car inspected at the NCT centre. The inspection has to take place within 30 days of the car being imported. In theory you can wait until day 7 to make the appointment and then schedule an appointment for 23 days after that. You have to pay the VRT at the inspection. Before you make the appointment you should carry the invoice and/or ferry ticket so you can prove the car arrived in the country within the last seven days if you get stopped. Between the appointment and the going for the inspection you should also carry the appointment confirmation with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭S'

Thanks for clearing that up for me;)

11.2kWp E/W split arra. Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Sorry for hijacking this thread but do you need an address in the south to vrt a car. I ask because I am working down here and have recently moved in with a girl im going out with. Before this I was travelling up and down everyday (im originally from the north) but its just a matter of time now before Im stopped by the gaurds as im staying down here more often than not. I am not on the lease of her apartment so I dont technically have an address in the south. I know you can change it over for free if you have owned it in the north which I have but im living with my perants up north and have no bills or no lease so I have nothing to prove that I was actually living up there. What can I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You are from the north yet you have nothing to show you are from the north. What age are you? Surely you have bank account, possibly phone bill, Work correspondance, revenue letters, welfare? Drivers licence, car insurance? Car V5 document?

mickdw wrote: »
    You are from the north yet you have nothing to show you are from the north. What age are you? Surely you have bank account, possibly phone bill, Work correspondance, revenue letters, welfare? Drivers licence, car insurance? Car V5 document?

I have bank account, licence, insurance and the v5 document but will that be enough to prove it. They say you need stuff like rent agreements or utility bills. I have no bills (not even phone bill) and I lived at home so no rent or mortgage. I dont even want to change it because if I break up with this girl ill be back home with a sourthern reg car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭a_v525

I lived in Santa's spare room in the north pole for 6 years but...
    have no bills or no lease so I have nothing to prove that I was actually living up there

:)

a_v525 wrote: »
    I lived in Santa's spare room in the north pole for 6 years but...

:)

why would I have bills if I lived with my perants. I have a pay as you go phone so thats the only bill I could have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Don't you have bank account bills m.j.w.?
    And employment contracts with your northern address on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ewa2011

Hello folks!

I would appreciate if you could help with curious case.

I am planning to borrow my brother's car and use it here in Ireland for couple of months.
    The car is 1 month old and it was bought in another EU country.
    Am I allowed to drive this car even if I am not an owner?
    Do I must register it completely like VAT+VRT+everything else????
    Do I need to show some extra papers if Garda stop me on Irish roads?

I have been researching on Internet but could not get answer, so any help on this would be more than appreciated!

Thank you in advance
    Cheers
    Ewa

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Basically, it is illegal for a state resident to drive a temporarily imported vehicle in the state.

So, if you are resident here, you cannot drive the car.

There is an exception where the vehicle is a work vehicle owned by your employer, as far as I know. For this, you need some type of letter of authorisation from Revenue.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

m.j.w wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking this thread but do you need an address in the south to vrt a car. I ask because I am working down here and have recently moved in with a girl im going out with. Before this I was travelling up and down everyday (im originally from the north) but its just a matter of time now before Im stopped by the gaurds as im staying down here more often than not. I am not on the lease of her apartment so I dont technically have an address in the south. I know you can change it over for free if you have owned it in the north which I have but im living with my perants up north and have no bills or no lease so I have nothing to prove that I was actually living up there. What can I do?

You don't need to VRT the car. Believe me. You are 100% within the law. The law states that if your place of "normal residence" is outside the state and you return there regularly with the car you don't need to VRT it. Your place of normal residence is considered to be where your family ties are i.e. Your next of kin. "Regularly" is also suitably vague. So if you are stopped you just say I am from the north, I live with me ma, I go back a couple of weekends per month then you are covered. I have been through this a few times. Read the legislation on the revenue.ie website.

Also if you are moving into the state e.g. getting married and you have owned the car for six months then you get to register it for free i.e. no VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

ewa2011 wrote: »
    Hello folks!

I would appreciate if you could help with curious case.

I am planning to borrow my brother's car and use it here in Ireland for couple of months.
    The car is 1 month old and it was bought in another EU country.
    Am I allowed to drive this car even if I am not an owner?
    Do I must register it completely like VAT+VRT+everything else????
    Do I need to show some extra papers if Garda stop me on Irish roads?

I have been researching on Internet but could not get answer, so any help on this would be more than appreciated!

Thank you in advance
    Cheers
    Ewa

EU law states that you are entitled to drive the car in Ireland for up to six months before being required to register it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

EU law states that you are entitled to drive the car in Ireland for up to six months before being required to register it here.

That's not correct at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

-Chris- wrote: »

24 hours iirc.

I just wish people wouldn't come on here and post up misinformation as fact.

Someone's going to take that as fact, act on it and get their car seized.

We don't even know if ewa2011 is resident in ROI for definite.

Yes it is.

Is ewa2011 resident in Ireland?

Is ewa2011 resident in Ireland?

How would I know.

How would I know.

Does residency not make a difference to whether you can (and how long you can) drive a non-ROI registered car in ROI?

Can you give ewa2011 accurate advice without knowing that piece of information?

Does residency not make a difference to whether you can (and how long you can) drive a non-ROI registered car in ROI?

Can you give ewa2011 accurate advice without knowing that piece of information?

Residency is a complex matter in EC law and has many definitions and associated rules depending on the circumstances. An EU national can be lawfully resident in one member state yet spend very little time there. The right of residence in a member state is established immediately on entry and is unconditional for three months. The clock is reset upon re-entry.

I think it's fair to assume that ewa2011 is an Irish or other EU national, resident in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Residency is a complex matter in EC law and has many definitions and associated rules depending on the circumstances. An EU national can be lawfully resident in one member state yet spend very little time there. The right of residence in a member state is established immediately on entry and is unconditional for three months. The clock is reset upon re-entry.

I think it's fair to assume that ewa2011 is an Irish or other EU national, resident in Ireland.

well then your advice that the car can be driven for 6 months is incorrect.

copacetic wrote: »
    well then your advice that the car can be driven for 6 months is incorrect.

An EU national resident in Ireland can easily establish residency in another member state for a short period and return to Ireland. The vehicle can remain in Ireland before up to six months for compulsory registration can occur.

An EU national resident in Ireland can easily establish residency in another member state for a short period and return to Ireland. The vehicle can remain in Ireland before up to six months for compulsory registration can occur.

Is ewa2011 establishing residency in another member state? I didn't see them mention that...

Is ewa2011 establishing residency in another member state? I didn't see them mention that...

S/he didn't mention it.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

so they should move abroad for a couple of months, then move back with the car to avoid vrt for 6 months? are you fricking kidding me?

Customs would take that car in seconds, they are really strict on temporary vists allowing 6 months grace and don't fall for the bull**** above.

so they should move abroad for a couple of months, then move back with the car to avoid vrt for 6 months? are you fricking kidding me?
    Yes, that would work.
    Customs would take that car in seconds, they are really strict on temporary vists allowing 6 months grace and don't fall for the bull**** above.
    Customs are merely civil servants who, like those who work in other Irish government departments, are obliged to adhere to EC law whether they like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The assumption I made (which I think was reasonable) was that ewa2011 is resident in the state. If that is so, he cannot legally drive a temporarily imported vehicle.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

OK - I should have read this thread before hand, but I have bought a car in the UK. The garage say that I need UK Tax before they can release it, whats my next step ? can I transfer my insurance and then use that to get UK tax ?

edit : To make things more complex, my mum who is a UK citizen will be driving the car over, so she will need to be named driver, but has insurance that covers her to drive others car.

Smoggy wrote: »
    OK - I should have read this thread before hand, but I have bought a car in the UK. The garage say that I need UK Tax before they can release it, whats my next step ? can I transfer my insurance and then use that to get UK tax ?

edit : To make things more complex, my mum who is a UK citizen will be driving the car over, so she will need to be named driver, but has insurance that covers her to drive others car.

If really the garage insists on car tax being purchased as a condition of sale, your best bet really is to insure it on daily cover. This will furnish you with a UK insurance certificate, needed to buy car tax at a post office. You can email it to your mother, she can print it out and pay the tax. For info, six months is the shortest car tax available in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

OK - To get tax does the insurance need to be in the name the car is registered ? This means the insurance would be in my name and my mum would be driving the car ? doesn't sound sensible ?

The roas tax is refundable, so not a huge issue there. The main issue is the complexity of tax / insurance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement