Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Smoggy wrote: »
    OK - To get tax does the insurance need to be in the name the car is registered ? This means the insurance would be in my name and my mum would be driving the car ? doesn't sound sensible ?

I'm not sure, I'm sorry. I would probably keep both the named registered keeper on V5C and the name on the insurance cert the same if I were you, just to be sure. So either both in your name or both in your mum's.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Smoggy wrote: »
    This means the insurance would be in my name and my mum would be driving the car ? doesn't sound sensible ?
    You said your mum has insurance which covers her to drive other cars, so I don't see what the problem is?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

To get tax it sounds like I need insurance in my name ? I would also prefer not to rely on my mums insurance, but that is a fall back position, as she is doing me a favour bringing it over I would prefer it to be based off insurance I have.

I could be making this more complex than needs be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

If you tax it online, insurance just needs to exist on the MID for the car. The only problem with taxing it online, in your case, would be that if you go for daily insurance cover it takes a day or two for the insurance company to update the MID with the details of the policy - by which time the policy has expired and thus useless for taxing purposes.

This is why taxing in a post office is better, in your case. Honestly, just have the V5C put in to your name and buy a daily insurance policy to cover the day when your mum intends to tax the car. Email your mum the certificate and have her tax the car. As you say, she's covered on her own insurance policy to actually drive the car, so all is well from all angles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ewa2011

Hello Gentlemen,

thanks for your massive input you have done so far on my request! I have tried to investigate on my own in my free time and it was not clear that's why was hoping to get absolute answer here. Just to give you details you asked for:
    1. Yes I am living in RoI
    2. Car which I plan to use is for max 3 months
    3. It will be brand new car paid and taxed fully in another EU country
    4. I am not an owner - but my brother is who is very kind to borrow it to me for summer time.

So does it still fall into section "that I am importing car" even if I am not an owner of that????
    Also I asked if it is enough to manage some proof document from brother which I can have in the car and so I can avoid any confusion in the future which might happen on the road if Garda ever stop me???

Again thank you and I believe people are more than law which is confusing and so most of the people are like me.

Ewa

• Advertisement

ewa2011 wrote: »
    Hello Gentlemen,

thanks for your massive input you have done so far on my request! I have tried to investigate on my own in my free time and it was not clear that's why was hoping to get absolute answer here. Just to give you details you asked for:
    1. Yes I am living in RoI
    2. Car which I plan to use is for max 3 months
    3. It will be brand new car paid and taxed fully in another EU country
    4. I am not an owner - but my brother is who is very kind to borrow it to me for summer time.

So does it still fall into section "that I am importing car" even if I am not an owner of that????
    Also I asked if it is enough to manage some proof document from brother which I can have in the car and so I can avoid any confusion in the future which might happen on the road if Garda ever stop me???

Again thank you and I believe people are more than law which is confusing and so most of the people are like me.

Ewa
    Based on point 1 in your post above, as a resident of the state, it is against the law for you to drive a temporarily imported vehicle - which your brother's car would be.

If you do drive it, the car could be seized by Gardaí or Customs Officers. You might be liable to prosecution, and a substantial fine would probably have to be paid before the car would be released.

So, I am afraid you cannot legally drive your brother's car here.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

dingding wrote: »
    Vehicle to be Taxed at VRO,Ex Motability Vehicle

Noticed this on a UK Car advert. what are the implications for importing this car. Is it the same as normal.:confused:
    Has anybody had experience of purchasing an ex-motability vehicle in the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 auditdi

i have a question about VRT a 520d which first registard at 30/10/08. i have to do the VRT next month, which would be 2 months less then 3 years. will it be count as an 3 years old car?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Eboneezer

Hi All,

Trying to Buy a Ford Mondeo Estate recently in the UK - just thought I'd Share my experience from a novice.

Have had 2 cars RAC checked and 1 pending check.

The 1st 2 cars were based in different "car supermarkets" in the UK

1st car - report came back unsatisfactory

When I said I won't be proceeding with the purchase - they were very slow to refund £300 deposit. About 15 calls & 10 e-mails later - got the deposit refunded.
    Moral of the story - get the dealer in writing to commit to refunding deposit if report unsatisfactory.

2nd Car - The RAC inspectors 1st words to me were " I presume you haven't seen the car yourself?". Impact damage & poor repair job.
    No problem getting refund this time.

So.. Onto my 3rd inspection now with a Ford dealer.
    Hopefully paying that bit extra & going to to a dealer will get me a sound car - but at £203 for an inspection - I'm eating into the saving I could have potentially made.

Happy hunting!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just throwing a question out there- is it even worth while looking in the UK anymore- for any reason other than particular models and specs not being readily available here? From my limited explorations- I don't see much in the way of savings to be made, when VRT gets factored into the equation? I am a fan of getting a good quality car at a good price- but the second part of the equation- the price element, seems to have evaporated? For the record- I have bought two cars in the UK in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

smccarrick wrote: »
    Just throwing a question out there- is it even worth while looking in the UK anymore- for any reason other than particular models and specs not being readily available here? From my limited explorations- I don't see much in the way of savings to be made, when VRT gets factored into the equation? I am a fan of getting a good quality car at a good price- but the second part of the equation- the price element, seems to have evaporated? For the record- I have bought two cars in the UK in the past.

It depends on what you are looking for really. Cars are cheap enough in this country atm. Have you anything in mind???

-Corkie- wrote: »
    It depends on what you are looking for really. Cars are cheap enough in this country atm. Have you anything in mind???

Looking for a manual 2.4 Diesel XC-90- all the Irish ones seem to be automatics......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Looking for a manual 2.4 Diesel XC-90- all the Irish ones seem to be automatics......

Something like that is rare enough allright here. I would be inclined to go UK myself as you will get a nicer spec etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Xc90s are cheapish here second hand and vrt is highish so wouldn't say their is much value in UK. Would also say that a manual would be a mistake unless you get an amazing deal and have no plans to ever sell it on...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Eboneezer wrote: »
    Hi All,

Trying to Buy a Ford Mondeo Estate recently in the UK - just thought I'd Share my experience from a novice.

Have had 2 cars RAC checked and 1 pending check.

The 1st 2 cars were based in different "car supermarkets" in the UK

1st car - report came back unsatisfactory

When I said I won't be proceeding with the purchase - they were very slow to refund £300 deposit. About 15 calls & 10 e-mails later - got the deposit refunded.
    Moral of the story - get the dealer in writing to commit to refunding deposit if report unsatisfactory.

2nd Car - The RAC inspectors 1st words to me were " I presume you haven't seen the car yourself?". Impact damage & poor repair job.
    No problem getting refund this time.

So.. Onto my 3rd inspection now with a Ford dealer.
    Hopefully paying that bit extra & going to to a dealer will get me a sound car - but at £203 for an inspection - I'm eating into the saving I could have potentially made.

Happy hunting!

Good post that, when I purchased a car in the UK I got the AA check done and it was very satisfactory, the engineer doing the inspection told me to call him if I had any queries and was an absolute pleasure to deal with.

I guess it comes down to what car you are looking for and making sure it cant be got here for cheaper or the same cost

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

copacetic wrote: »
    Xc90s are cheapish here second hand and vrt is highish so wouldn't say their is much value in UK. Would also say that a manual would be a mistake unless you get an amazing deal and have no plans to ever sell it on...

+1

I looked at importing an XC90 a few times and came to conclusion that it wouldn't make sense. High emissions = high VRT. Fairly desirable in UK so prices good. However not that desirable here so prices soft. I'd check online to see if any garage here has one in stock for a while and try to get a good discount off the price. I saw a 08 one sold in Dublin in the trade a few months back for well under 30k, no way you would import one for that.

Also automatic is by far the most popular option for large SUVs. For example, AFAIK rangerovers only come in automatic now; can't get them in manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cybersausage

Hi im new to the boards and was just looking for some info. Im heading over to the uk to buy a car in the next couple of weeks have made arrangements with seller and agreed on price. After travel expenses and vrt costs(going by the vrt calculator) it works out bang on with my budget. Doing a bit more research tonight ive realised that the vrt calculator isnt accurate and the guys at the ntcs can charge you a hell of alot more after inspecting the car (i.e.) if it has extras. The calculator came up with an estimate of just under 2000 euros but this car is fully loaded (voice control, bluetooth, electric seats, heated seats, front and back electric windows, leather trim the list goes on! The car is a 2008 FORD FOCUS TITANIUM 1.8 TDCI with only 20,000 miles on it. Question is can any of you guys give me a clue weather they'll charge me the 2000 euro or go to town on me? Is there any way i can find out exactly how much the vrt will cost me to the euro so i can find out if this car is still affordable to me.. Cheers.

Hi im new to the boards and was just looking for some info. Im heading over to the uk to buy a car in the next couple of weeks have made arrangements with seller and agreed on price. After travel expenses and vrt costs(going by the vrt calculator) it works out bang on with my budget. Doing a bit more research tonight ive realised that the vrt calculator isnt accurate and the guys at the ntcs can charge you a hell of alot more after inspecting the car (i.e.) if it has extras. The calculator came up with an estimate of just under 2000 euros but this car is fully loaded (voice control, bluetooth, electric seats, heated seats, front and back electric windows, leather trim the list goes on! The car is a 2008 FORD FOCUS TITANIUM 1.8 TDCI with only 20,000 miles on it. Question is can any of you guys give me a clue weather they'll charge me the 2000 euro or go to town on me? Is there any way i can find out exactly how much the vrt will cost me to the euro so i can find out if this car is still affordable to me.. Cheers.

The quote is based on a combination of age and mileage to figure an OMSP for the vehicle, alongside the emissions level (135-140grms/km) to figure the correct VRT rate (16%).

2k for an '08 1.8TDCI Focus Titanium- sounds plausible, because the car has a high depreciation rate (circa 40%). Revenue have this down as an OMSP of around 20-22k at the moment. Is this accurate? If its wildly inaccurate- then, yes, you probably should allow for a higher VRT bill, but if its the right general ballpark- then, I'd say you're doing good and well done for finding one with such low mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Wigster

Normally the price on the website is the price you pay.Bought in a Galaxy and the price was the same. Heard that Mercs, Audi and BMWs are what they focus on for extras but to be honest what can they catch you for? Alloys/Leather Sat Nav. In your case the Titanium model is probably on their list that you selected so you are actually paying more for it than say against a Zetec model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭useless

Depends on the car, e.g. A new SMax Titanium is around 42k list here, but you can land a 3-6 month old one from the UK for 30-32. Even allowing for a chunky discount off the list price, that's still a big saving IMHO

useless wrote: »
    Depends on the car, e.g. A new SMax Titanium is around 42k list here, but you can land a 3-6 month old one from the UK for 30-32. Even allowing for a chunky discount off the list price, that's still a big saving IMHO

List may be 42- however there is no difficulty whatsoever getting it for 38-39, and it has a Revenue listed depreciation of 40-45%- so 30-32 for a 6 month old sounds in the right ballpark (the depreciation on it is a bit shocking though!)
    The big reason to get a car like this in the UK- is check out autotrader and carzone- there aren't any of this spec/age available here- closest I could find is a 5 month old a Ford S-Max Zetec 2.0 TDCI in Tipperary for 30k here

List price really is an aspirational thing imho these days- don't know anyone who pays list.........

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cybersausage

The quote is based on a combination of age and mileage to figure an OMSP for the vehicle, alongside the emissions level (135-140grms/km) to figure the correct VRT rate (16%).

2k for an '08 1.8TDCI Focus Titanium- sounds plausible, because the car has a high depreciation rate (circa 40%). Revenue have this down as an OMSP of around 20-22k at the moment. Is this accurate? If its wildly inaccurate- then, yes, you probably should allow for a higher VRT bill, but if its the right general ballpark- then, I'd say you're doing good and well done for finding one with such low mileage.

Many thanks for the quick reply smccarrick.
    Yep your spot on with the OMSP 20-22k. its exactly 21,807 euro. Do you think they'll charge me more after they inspect it and see all the extras? This is what really has me worried because if they charge me more than 2,000 on the vrt I'll have to pass on the car as i just cant afford it. Thanks.

Many thanks for the quick reply smccarrick.
    Yep your spot on with the OMSP 20-22k. its exactly 21,807 euro. Do you think they'll charge me more after they inspect it and see all the extras? This is what really has me worried because if they charge me more than 2,000 on the vrt I'll have to pass on the car as i just cant afford it. Thanks.

To be honest- the valuation sounds entirely plausible. I'd be quite surprised if they made a point about the extras- they do tend to with Mercs and BMWs but not the other marques.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Wigster wrote: »
    Normally the price on the website is the price you pay.Bought in a Galaxy and the price was the same. Heard that Mercs, Audi and BMWs are what they focus on for extras but to be honest what can they catch you for? Alloys/Leather Sat Nav. In your case the Titanium model is probably on their list that you selected so you are actually paying more for it than say against a Zetec model.
    Also brought in a Galaxy and paid the exact amount shown on the VRT calculator. Mine was Zetec but had features that weren't standard on the Irish model Zetec (Blue Tooth, parking radar, electric seats). The girl at the NCT office just wanted to confirm the VIN and the mileage and wasn't interested in anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

The girl at the NCT office just wanted to confirm the VIN and the mileage and wasn't interested in anything else.

Then count yourself lucky they didn't inspect the car to check the specification as they are suppose to.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Then count yourself lucky they didn't inspect the car to check the specification as they are suppose to.
    Are you sure that is supposed to be done with all marques?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Are you sure that is supposed to be done with all marques?

I think they focus on particular marques- Merc/BMW/Volvo- anything perceived to be prestigious (and of course more likely to have different specs than routinely sold here). When I was VRT'ing our car- the guy asked me was the car available for inspection- to which I replied it was- he then jabbed a finger out the window pointing at it parked down the road- and asked was that it- when I said yes- and offered to show it to him- he just said, nah, off you go........

?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Same for me, they didnt even look at the car, just took my word for it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Many of the nct centres I've been to VRT'ing cars, the staff don't fecking care and who can blame them. They see it as an administrative exercise acting as an intermediatary for revenue, and they just want to get the plates issued and go home!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement