Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

corktina wrote: »
    no it shouldnt.
    It doesnt really matter to the buyer but the seller only fills that in if HE is exporting it. If he does that , the car is still his responsibility and he has no guarantee that the guy buying it will export it immedaitely. If a Policeman has it pinged up on ANPR as exported a week later, he's gonna ask questions!

As I say doesnt really make any diofference to the buyer but the correct way is for the seller to give the entire documnet to the buyer and write to the DVLA to tell them what he has done.

see post 2339...this guy got the info from the horses mouth, phone them yourselves if you dont believe him

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73999591&postcount=2339 ?? :p

As said before, it doesn;t matter as long as the irish buyer keeps the V5. I'll get a look at a V5 when Ig et home and have a look at the notes section at the back to see what it says.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

The notes section is useless mate.

Hence why the UK sellers are always nervous about giving over the complete V5C.

I can appreciate it from their perspective - it does not feel right handing over the complete form.

The only thing that convinces them is a call to the dvla - where it's give it to buyer - send us a letter.:)

It may be somewhere on the dvla site but props to anyone who can actually find it on there!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

The Guvnor wrote: »
    It may be somewhere on the dvla site but props to anyone who can actually find it on there!

See the last part of section 3 here (What to do if you are selling your vehicle privately to someone that does not have a GB address)
    DVLA wrote:
    You should fill in sections 6 and 10 with the new keeper’s name and address. Both you and the new keeper (buyer) must sign and date the declaration in section 8. Give the whole V5C to the new keeper to aid registration abroad.

You should then send a signed letter to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AG giving the vehicle’s registration number, the make and model of the vehicle, the date of sale or transfer, and the name and address of the new keeper.

Once we know about the change of keeper, you should receive an acknowledgement letter to confirm that you are no longer responsible for the vehicle. If you do not receive the letter within 4 weeks, please phone 0300 790 6802. If you are deaf or hard of hearing and have access
    to a textphone, phone 0300 123 1279 (this number will not respond to ordinary phones).

/csd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I'm toying with the idea of buying a 09/08 Skoda Superb automatic 5-door hatchback from the UK. Some great info on this thread around the process to follow once you've found a car, but I'm just wondering where do people start the process of finding potentially suitable cars?

Do you go to Autotrader.co.uk, if so do people generally look at a specific area/postcode or just go national? Are there some large-scale dealers in handy locations that are regarded as reputable and might be a good starting point?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I'm toying with the idea of buying a 09/08 Skoda Superb automatic 5-door hatchback from the UK. Some great info on this thread around the process to follow once you've found a car, but I'm just wondering where do people start the process of finding potentially suitable cars?

Do you go to Autotrader.co.uk, if so do people generally look at a specific area/postcode or just go national? Are there some large-scale dealers in handy locations that are regarded as reputable and might be a good starting point?

yes, make contact with a main dealer and develop a relationship with a contact there is my suggestion. I do this a lot if I'm seeking a certain car for a client etc. I gives good price of mind to the process, and makes it quite smooth also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Guys I'm going to England soon and I was going to get the bus / ferry back on September 11th. If anyone wants me to drive a car back to Ireland instead, at your expensive, then PM me!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

Do vrt centres take cheques?

Here http://www.ncts.ie/vrt.html#6

6. How and where can I pay my VRT?

The NCT Centre will also collect the VRT charge (and other tax liabilities) on behalf of Revenue. You can pay this charge either by

- Bank Draft (made payable to Applus Car Testing Service Ltd)
    - Cash (Up to a limit of €200)
    - Laser Card (Up to a limit of €1,500)
    - Credit Card (this method of payment will incur a 1.5% surcharge)
    - Company cheque with TAN numbers only (to a limit of €10,000 payable to Applus Car Testing Service Ltd)

it mentions drafts and company cheques but no mention of personal cheques

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

macjohn wrote: »
    Do vrt centres take cheques?

Here http://www.ncts.ie/vrt.html#6

6. How and where can I pay my VRT?

The NCT Centre will also collect the VRT charge (and other tax liabilities) on behalf of Revenue. You can pay this charge either by

- Bank Draft (made payable to Applus Car Testing Service Ltd)
    - Cash (Up to a limit of €200)
    - Laser Card (Up to a limit of €1,500)
    - Credit Card (this method of payment will incur a 1.5% surcharge)
    - Company cheque with TAN numbers only (to a limit of €10,000 payable to Applus Car Testing Service Ltd)

it mentions drafts and company cheques but no mention of personal cheques
    No mention of it because they don't accept them. When you get your VRT assessment done they will give you time to drive to a bank nearby and get a draft and then you can bring it back to them to get your receipt and registration number.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

NCT centre walls are painted, not papered (with dud cheques). Surely everyone who has a cheque book also has some form of plastic these days?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Esel wrote: »
    NCT centre walls are painted, not papered (with dud cheques). Surely everyone who has a cheque book also has some form of plastic these days?

Probably- however with all the stories of cards getting cloned- would you want to use it in an NCT centre? I use personal cheques whenever possible- and cash in preference to plastic. I've personally been cloned twice. Sure the bank returned the money- months later- but its really not worth the hassle. There is a serious problem with card cloning in this country at the moment......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

So if you import a car into Ireland from the UK, can you still drive it while you are waiting for the VRT and NCT? I.E. within the one month after having brought it in that you have to register?

I presume you can if you go to the UK pick it up and drive it back to your place in the ferry and also if you drive it from your house to the NCT centre.

What happens if a Guard stops you?

I read either on citizensinformation or revenue.ie that it is illegal for an Irish resident to drive a UK registered vehicle in Ireland under any cirumstances. : http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/temporary-exemption-foreign-registered.html
    1. Introduction
    This information leaflet outlines the circumstances in which a foreign registered motor vehicle may be brought into the Republic of Ireland (the State) on a temporary basis.

These circumstances vary depending on whether the vehicle is intended for private or commercial use.

Private Use

2. What Conditions Apply
    Any imported vehicle which is owned by or registered in the name of a non-resident person is not required to be registered in Ireland subject to the following conditions:

The vehicle must have been acquired with all the appropriate taxes paid and these must not have been exempted or refunded in any way. The standard registration plates in use in the domestic market of a country are normally accepted as evidence of this.
    The vehicle may not in any circumstances be driven by a State resident.
    The vehicle may not be disposed of or hired out in the State or lent to a State resident.
    The period of time that the vehicle is in the State does not exceed 12 months.
    A longer period may apply where a person is on a task of definite duration in the State.

Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

thta applies to tempoaray in the state vehicles. Provided you have got in touch wiht the NCTS to make your appointment for inspection and vrt paymnet as laid down you can drive away peding the appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

thta applies to tempoaray in the state vehicles. Provided you have got in touch wiht the NCTS to make your appointment for inspection and vrt paymnet as laid down you can drive away peding the appointment.

Right, thanks a lot.

But it looks like you can't get insurance on the car without the first registering the car in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

Esel wrote: »

Normally would use the plastic for everthing but they have a limit of €1500 for laser and a 1.5% surcharge if you use credit card, would prefer not to pay that extra charge just for using a credit card.

Memnoch wrote: »
    Right, thanks a lot.

But it looks like you can't get insurance on the car without the first registering the car in Ireland.
    You can get insurance on the UK plates before you even pick the car up.

Normally would use the plastic for everthing but they have a limit of €1500 for laser and a 1.5% surcharge if you use credit card, would prefer not to pay that extra charge just for using a credit card.
    So go to the bank and get a draft instead. It costs about €2.

So go to the bank and get a draft instead. It costs about €2.
    Or get a bank draft for the nearest (lower) estimate, and pay the (probable) balance with plastic.

Either way, a 1.5% surcharge would not be a deal breaker to me.*

* At the end of the day; we are where we are; YMMV etc. etc.

Not your ornery onager

Did they make the VRT a bit more complex than it was 5 years ago?

Now it appears one needs to fill out a form and bring it along or does one just turn up?

TIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you need an appointment at the NCTS,proof of date of purchase and of date of import and if the car doesnt have an MoT or similar, thye will want to do roadworthyness inspection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭McP2011

I wouldn't waste my money paying vrt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

you need an appointment at the NCTS,proof of date of purchase and of date of import and if the car doesnt have an MoT or similar, thye will want to do roadworthyness inspection

Don't forget the registration cert - Most important thing! Proof of address and pps too.

They don't do roadworthyness inspection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

McP2011 wrote: »
    I wouldn't waste my money paying vrt.

Well then don't waste your time posting in this thread again either.

Please read the Charter before posting in this forum again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

I'm moving back to Ireland having been resident in the UK since 2007 and am bringing a car home in the process (VRT exempt obviously). In my head (and from reading this thread) I see the following steps:

1. Get No Claims proof from UK insurance
    2. Get Irish insurance - can I do this prior to moving back to Ireland and on UK plates? My UK ins expires a week after I get home, dont want to have a period of time when I am uninsured in Ireland whilst waiting for registration etc to come through.....
    3. Book revenue meeting to get VRT exemption cert
    4. NCTS meeting to register vehicle
    5. Receipt from step 4 to get number plates
    6. Motor cert comes in post - use to pay annual tax

Should I register & insure in the same name? Currently car is registered in my wifes name here as I have another vehicle but will only bring one home to Ireland. Would be cheaper to insure under my wifes name but then I would lose my no claims from the UK?

Do most/any irish insurance companies accept UK no claims?

Am I correct in thinking that cars manufactured in the first half of 2008 can choose between the two motor tax systems i.e. engine size and CO2?

Cheers in advance!

Lads,

Went down to the local NCT office today to register a September 2006 VW Touareg V6 TDI SE.

I did my homework - checked the price on VRT Website.
    [41386165] stat code for those interested.

Price for importing €5478 - a kick in the nuts but what are you going to do.

I go and get bank draft and head down.

Nice Lady is doing her thing and she comes back with a few things:

1. VRT €8215
    2. Car now has 240bhp - actually 225bhp
    3. The CO2 figure on the V5 is not on revenue website. The V5 is a mess really 2999 cc when it should be 2967 and co2 is 287 and car listed on ros as 278.
    Once over 225 - the co2 is irrelevant.

I showed her what I had printed from ROS and that I spoke with a lady in NCTS.

She said yours is most likely correct but we have a different system here and things are duplicated.

I don't know how she came up with €8215. The 240bhp vw - was this out in 2006? It has 195 co2.

It's at times like this you could almost lose faith in the system! :)

I'm as close to 100% as I can be that I am correct.

Only upside - UK plates for a bit longer and the lady in question is not unattractive. :D

I shall hover over the phone waiting for the man (revenue) to call me.

So I wasted a bit of time on the VRT website and there is a Touareg where you can input 240bhp and it has 195 c2 but afaik this is the latest/later model and not one available in 2006.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Omsp is only 15000 according to the revenue , did you manage to get it in for that all in assuming you get the lower vrt to pay?

Mr.David wrote: »
    Should I register & insure in the same name? Currently car is registered in my wifes name here as I have another vehicle but will only bring one home to Ireland. Would be cheaper to insure under my wifes name but then I would lose my no claims from the UK?
    It will have to be your wife who imports and registers the car, then afaik. To prove TOR (Transfer of Residence) VRT exemption eligibility, she will have to have documentary proof of her residence abroad for the minimum period (rent receipts, bank statements, payslips etc) as well as proof of having owned and used the vehicle abroad for the minimum period.

Just out of interest, would it be viable for you to import your own car as well i.e. could you make a profit by selling it on here after 12 months?
    Am I correct in thinking that cars manufactured in the first half of 2008 can choose between the two motor tax systems i.e. engine size and CO2?
    Afaik, you will get whichever taxation system is cheaper.

Not your ornery onager

copacetic wrote: »
    Omsp is only 15000 according to the revenue , did you manage to get it in for that all in assuming you get the lower vrt to pay?

No. I've never been on the cheaper side of the OMSP.

The VRT lady had the car down as being worth what €26k.

As VW did not make a 240bhp 195co2 car in 2006 - I'm fairly certain I will be paying what is on the RC site.

• Advertisement

The Guvnor wrote: »
    No. I've never been on the cheaper side of the OMSP.

The VRT lady had the car down as being worth what €26k.

As VW did not make a 240bhp 195co2 car in 2006 - I'm fairly certain I will be paying what is on the RC site.
    If you really think you have a chance, you can appeal the amount with Revenue after paying it. Lots of post in this thread about that, afaik.

Not your ornery onager

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement