Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Esel - I have not paid yet.

She gave me her figure and I showed her mine from the VRT website from that morning.

Then she gave me an exemption letter and said revenue will call me in the near future with their figure.

It's fairly obvious that her figure was incorrect - a bit more interaction with myself on the day could have avoided all of this.

The moral here is - it is really down to the person working the system on the day you go in as to how quick and or not the process will be.

Just a quick update - got the text to call today to get my VRT figure.

I was waiting to explain how it could not be x,y or z for this that and the other reason.

Anway I call up and I was hoping for a figure of €5478 but I actually get €4965.

I don't know how they worked that out - well I have a rough idea (32% v 36%). Anyway it's better than €8215 and €5478 so happy days.

I'll be down there 1st thing to get this all sorted.

Kind of ironic really being this happy when actually handing over this much wedge!:eek::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 paul900

Hi guys, ive been looking at a 205 1.9 gti (93, with catalytic converter), car is mint and i love it but its on uk reg plates, i know i'll be paying about 1000 at least as its classed as a 'enthusiasts car' but its worth it.

I've seen the log book and I'm thinking about going through with it, just wondering without proof of export from the uk, or invoice which must have the date of purchase/sale, how could i get round it?

has anybody ever done this before? thanks

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Just a quick update - got the text to call today to get my VRT figure.

I was waiting to explain how it could not be x,y or z for this that and the other reason.

Anway I call up and I was hoping for a figure of €5478 but I actually get €4965.

I don't know how they worked that out - well I have a rough idea (32% v 36%). Anyway it's better than €8215 and €5478 so happy days.

I'll be down there 1st thing to get this all sorted.

Kind of ironic really being this happy when actually handing over this much wedge!:eek::)

Good result, great news

Thanks mate.

Still surprising to me - not complaining but from a purely curious perspective I'd love to know how they can come up with figures that we can never get when we use the recommended online system.:)

• Advertisement

All done - in and out this time in about 5 minutes.:D

The saving covers about 5 months road tax! Now about the 195 co2 figure....can I now go on the co2 system please!?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Hello folks, I am bringing in a Ford Focus in the next few days, I have one question though....

the car itself is 119 c02 but the revenue have it penciled down for 127 c02.... now after doing my recalculations on the ros site this gives me a saving of 300 euros, but I must have documentation to back it up..

What kind of documentation will do me? Ford Focus manual? Parkers Facts and Figures print off? And where do I present this, at the NCT center when it is booked in after coming off the ferry?

Thanks in advance.

CZ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

What does it say on the V5C?

119... will this satisfy them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

if the V5c states 119, thats it, there's no disputing and you'll pay based on that.

happy days for you! what are you gonna spend the €300 saved yoyo's on? LOL

• Advertisement

MidlandsM wrote: »
    happy days for you! what are you gonna spend the €300 saved yoyo's on? LOL

Furry Dice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ger_curran

Robert, could you please send the link to your website..

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

Hi lads,

herself and myself are heading to the UK to check out / collect this car Friday week.:

civic.jpg

Its a 2009 Honda Civic, Type S GT 2.2 Diesel.

Would ye have an tips that are not outline in the OP? It's a private sale, not through a dealer.

What is the V5 form, and how do I get it, why do I need it etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

V5C is the taxbook. Seller and you need to fill in your details and you bring it with you.He writes to DVLA to tell them what has occuredYou need it to re-reg the car withe NCTS

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

Thanks Corktina, hope it all goes ok anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Gally05

so all u need when u buy the car is the V5C ie the taxbook ..thats all i need to bring back with the car yes ??

also is there any way that i can check the chasis number that the car is not knicked etc ... the seller sent me a HPI report

does anyone know how to get an AA check done on the car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Hi,

I was wondering what are the exact steps for importing a car from Northern Ireland or UK?

Once it's registered, do I need to run it through the NCT etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Pov06 wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering what are the exact steps for importing a car from Northern Ireland or UK?

Once it's registered, do I need to run it through the NCT etc?

yes, when you clear it (vrt it), wait 2 to 3 days before ringing ncts to book a test. This time allows your car reg to be updated on their systems.

Then NCT as normal, if you don't get to tax it bofore the test, don't worry, you don't need road tax to nct a car.

HTH's

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Hi folks, thinking about importing a 2011/2010 Volvo S60.

The VRT site is giving me a quote of about €4700 which seems pretty cheap!
    Is there a way to get a more accurate quote?
    The car i'll be getting will fully loaded, sat nav, heated leather seats etc.

Just for clarity, could someone advise me on my view of the process!!

1) Pick car
    2) Call dealer to get info on it.
    3) Get AA/RAC and HPI check done.
    4) Presuming all is ok, pay deposit?? When i should i do some price negotiation?
    5) Pick a date to go over
    6) Get sterling bank draft for approx amount + bring CC/cash for rest
    7) Get to garage, take car for test drive and examine
    8) Handover the cash and get the VLC doc and head for Holyhead
    9) Call insurance company to get temp insurance
    10)Hope you dont get stopped by the Welsh police :eek:
    11) Get home get a VRT appointment and then bend over and lube up.

Pretty much it?

One final question, how grumpy do dealers get if you bring in a UK volvo to a Volvo dealer within the manufacturers warranty?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

They may go to Volvo to get a price for the options, once they do that they depreciate them over 4 years and calculate the vrt on current value. Best thing to do is spec a Volvo here to roughly the same spec and find out how much options add up to.

Say they add up to 10k, then if it's an 09 it's likely currently 2 years old, so they will say options have depreciated by 50%, and are work 5k. Then they take the vrt rate of this. So if it's 20% vrt rate you will be charged 1k on top of basic vrt calc.

You may get lucky on a Volvo, but they certainly do the above on most higher spec cars especially German ones.

Only issue with your plan above is a lot of dealers don't like bank drafts, fair few fakes floating around. They might want a bank transfer. Also just tax the car for 3 months for the journey. Dealer will probably insist on it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Just a couple of things;
    4) Any negotiations will have to be done over the phone from here. Once you arrive at the Dealer over there he knows he has you hooked and will not budge on price.
    6)Some dealers will prefer to let a Bank draft clear before handing over the car. Either an electronic bank transfer or cash will normally be easier.
    10) If the car is taxed the police wont even notice you.

As for the VRT quote if the car has a few extras fitted you may be in for a shock at the NCT centre. At least it's not German eg. BMW, Audi etc where extras seem to be treated as the answer to repaying the national debt.

edit; Copacetic got in there ahead of me on nearly everything.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Is there anyway of getting a decent answer out of revenue if i give them a list of the extras?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Apparently not. They will refer you to APPLUS (the NCT crowd), who will tell you to bring the car in for inspection before they can give you a figure.
    It seems that they usually check the chassis number with the manufacturer to see what, if any, extras were fitted.
    I would guess that a lot of people in the motor trade, who import from the UK, may have better contacts within the system. If you know anyone at all in the car sales trade you might have a word with them. They may be able to offer some advice on how to approach the NCT.

Thanks guys, the OHs aunty works for the DoT so i'll fire off a question to her and see if she can find out the info.

hi all, have my car booked in for the vrt on Monday, trouble is, being a non-working student, I pay no utility bills and haven't had a bank statement in long over 6 months. Am i fecked??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

paul900 wrote: »
    hi all, have my car booked in for the vrt on Monday, trouble is, being a non-working student, I pay no utility bills and haven't had a bank statement in long over 6 months. Am i fecked??

Students don't qualify for the VRT exemption, sorry.

i know we dont qualify for exemption but they say i need a utility bill as a requirement to vrt. I have no utility bills, thats my problem, i do have the money to pay the vrt.

paul900 wrote: »
    i know we dont qualify for exemption but they say i need a utility bill as a requirement to vrt. I have no utility bills, thats my problem, i do have the money to pay the vrt.

A p60 or leeter from a health board or doctor should suffice.

If your are really stuck, maybe go into your local garda station and they may be able to do you up a letter stating they know you reside at your address.

Another idea maybe to go down the local hardware show and buy a bag of coal, and ask for an invoice with you name and address on it, that technically is a utility bill, as its used to heat your home, and its a bill (of sale):pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Hi folks, thinking about importing a 2011/2010 Volvo S60.

The VRT site is giving me a quote of about €4700 which seems pretty cheap!
    Is there a way to get a more accurate quote?
    The car i'll be getting will fully loaded, sat nav, heated leather seats etc.

Might be a bit late for you - just seen this.

If you can find out what options are on the car, and whether it's MY11 or MY11.5, send me a PM and I'll send on the S60 price list with all the options - have them all since launch (not as sad as it sounds).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement