Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

paul900 wrote: »
    i know we dont qualify for exemption but they say i need a utility bill as a requirement to vrt. I have no utility bills, thats my problem, i do have the money to pay the vrt.

a non working student has money to pay the VRT on a car??

and people claim the country is broke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    a non working student has money to pay the VRT on a car??

and people claim the country is broke!

Some people work summer jobs, and if they're careful with their money can save a decent sum.

Let's not drag the thread off-topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Hi lads. Buying my new car on Tuesday in the uk.
    What's the situation with log books what do I need to get off the seller.
    Should I ring the vrt office now?
    Some people say to use Dundalk as they don't check all the extras?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You need to get the full V5C form from the seller, tell them to write a letter to the DVLA notifying them the car was permanently exported.

VRT has to be booked within a week of the car arriving in the country.

All the info you need to know is here:
    http://www.ncts.ie/vrt.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Hi lads. Buying my new car on Tuesday in the uk.
    What's the situation with log books what do I need to get off the seller.
    Should I ring the vrt office now?
    Some people say to use Dundalk as they don't check all the extras?

+1 on what challengemaster said.

Also, get an invoice (reciept) from the seller for the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Box44 wrote: »
    hi, what if car is category C damaged, and i don't have V5c.
    can i take her in? would it be cheaper?

car is 2009 :)))

thanks

you need either the V5C or an Export Cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Do you not have to run your impoorted car through the NCT process if it is 4 years old or younger??

Box44 wrote: »
    how i can get export certificate? thanks

the registered owner would have to fill out the relevant part of the V5C and send it off to the DVLA.

Do you not have to run your impoorted car through the NCT process if it is 4 years old or younger??

all imported cars are re-registered by the NCTS. A sub-4 yr old car would not need a NCT but would still need to be shown to be roadworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ironderek

Hi to everyone, I want to buy in UK 2008-2009 Skoda SuperB Elegance version, can you tell me exact what I'll need to bring back with the car to register it without any problems?
    Far as i know I should have V5C document-should I have to bring it from here, or they have it in UK?
    The HPI check -how to book or how to get it if I'll be in UK?
    What any other papers are required to register vehicle?
    Would I need any special registration plate to drive back home, or do I need ring only from UK and transfer insurance?
    What else to check on the car before I pay them cash?
    After when I bring car over here do I need ring VRO or NCT to bring it for VRT?
    Somebody also mentioned something about extras -this car in Elegance version has all extras loaded -how would they treat it? I checked the VTR calculator and I shouldn't pay more than 2500euro, would they calculate VRT in different way?
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

ironderek wrote: »
    Hi to everyone, I want to buy in UK 2008-2009 Skoda SuperB Elegance version, can you tell me exact what I'll need to bring back with the car to register it without any problems?
    Far as i know I should have V5C document-should I have to bring it from here, or they have it in UK?
    The HPI check -how to book or how to get it if I'll be in UK?
    What any other papers are required to register vehicle?
    Would I need any special registration plate to drive back home, or do I need ring only from UK and transfer insurance?
    What else to check on the car before I pay them cash?
    After when I bring car over here do I need ring VRO or NCT to bring it for VRT?
    Somebody also mentioned something about extras -this car in Elegance version has all extras loaded -how would they treat it? I checked the VTR calculator and I shouldn't pay more than 2500euro, would they calculate VRT in different way?
    Cheers

First thing first - read ncts.ie/vrt, this tells you exactly whats needed to register the vehicle.

The V5C is essentially the english version of the "log book", you need to bring back the full form when you get the car. The person / dealer then has to send a letter to the DVLA explaining the car has been permenantly exported and is no longer theirs.

HPI / etc you can use a website like http://motorcheck.ie/

Once you buy the car, ring your insurance company, tell them you've bought a car in the UK to import, give them the registration and they'll transfer your insurance over. The car will also need to be taxed to drive - the UK police take this a lot more seriously than the gardaí.

Once you arrive back here, you have 7 days to make a VRT appointment - can be done on ncts.ie/vrt - and the appoiontment can be up to 23 days from the date of booking.

The online VRT calculator is just an estimate, and yes you may be charged more on the day. As regards extras, I think if the car is under 4 years old, the extras are included for calculating VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ironderek

First thing first - read ncts.ie/vrt, this tells you exactly whats needed to register the vehicle.

The V5C is essentially the english version of the "log book", you need to bring back the full form when you get the car. The person / dealer then has to send a letter to the DVLA explaining the car has been permenantly exported and is no longer theirs.

HPI / etc you can use a website like http://motorcheck.ie/

Once you buy the car, ring your insurance company, tell them you've bought a car in the UK to import, give them the registration and they'll transfer your insurance over. The car will also need to be taxed to drive - the UK police take this a lot more seriously than the gardaí.

Once you arrive back here, you have 7 days to make a VRT appointment - can be done on ncts.ie/vrt - and the appoiontment can be up to 23 days from the date of booking.

The online VRT calculator is just an estimate, and yes you may be charged more on the day. As regards extras, I think if the car is under 4 years old, the extras are included for calculating VRT

Thanks very much challengemaster. This information where very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

ironderek wrote: »
    Thanks very much challengemaster. This information where very helpful.

Make sure you get the car inspected too. I got AA to do mine and was very pleased with their service and the feedback they gave me was fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Going to be vrt'ing a car for the first time since the changes in the coming days. Whats involved with the checks? Do they give it a full NCT or whats the story? It's an 04 so dues for NCT when its registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

Going to be vrt'ing a car for the first time since the changes in the coming days. Whats involved with the checks? Do they give it a full NCT or whats the story? It's an 04 so dues for NCT when its registered.

Read the ncts link above.

if it has the equivalent to the NCT from whereever it came, it wont need to be checked , if it hasnt they just do more or less a visual check that it is roadworthy. NCT test comes later.
    they will want proof of date of purchase and import.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

corktina wrote: »
    if it has the equivalent to the NCT from whereever it came, it wont need to be checked , if it hasnt they just do more or less a visual check that it is roadworthy. NCT test comes later.
    they will want proof of date of purchase and import.

Yeah its Mot'd. cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

Sorry if I am repeating questions asked of old but I am hoping to bring in a used alfa Romeo 2004 diesel car from the uk with about 80k miles on the clock. The revenue website is estimating the vrt to be around €740 on it.
    Now I know this is an estimate and I could be liable to pay more.
    My question is, will I be charged for extras??
    For example the model usually comes with alloys and metallic paint, leather seats etc. are these factored into the revenue site when you select the exact model from their lists?
    I'm worried that I'll budget for the car but end up over budget as a result of the ncts
    examination.
    Has anyone had this experience where the estimate you got was well below what you ended up paying?

Also if you challenge the vrt based on the revenues current omsp,, can the average UK cost of the car be used as proof or is it only based on the Irish market?

Thanks.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The revenue depreciate extras over 4 years from new. So they don't charge vrt on extras on any car over 4 years old.

The UK price is not relevant to the omsp here, you would need multiple local examples.

I used the revenue vrt calculator for a car I'm interested in, in the UK and it returned a fee of €974.

Is it likely I could be liable to pay more?

On average is this the case?

I'm worried about going over budget as a result.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Advertisement

Anyone?

what car, spec, model, bhp and year is it please?

MidlandsM wrote: »
    what car, spec, model, bhp and year is it please?

2005 Saab 9-3 1.9 Tdi Vector Sport 150bph
    4 door. Approx 90,000miles and it's a 'FE' uk reg.

I got €964 there by imputting yer details.........you'll be safe enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭dubal

They might change the UK vehicle register for extras, but at that discount over OMSP you should be fine.

Regards
    Dubal

Well that's one of a few 9-3 models I've been looking at an interested in.

Would you say then that if I'm getting an estimate of around that amount that it would be fairly spot on?

Or what factors should I be aware of that might drive the cost up?

Appreciate the help thank you.

panama wrote: »

Would you say then that if I'm getting an estimate of around that amount that it would be fairly spot on?

well, its not a high value car,7 year old, reasonable emmisions etc, personally I'd not be overly concerned and I do this day in, day out.

panama wrote: »

well, its not a high value car,7 year old, reasonable emmisions etc, personally I'd not be overly concerned and I do this day in, day out.

Good to hear, thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭floatwinner

Just want to say thank you to OP for a great guide, just imported a lovely 08 Focus Zetec from the North hassle free thanks to great advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

hi guys hoping to import a car from scotland over the next few months( if i can make my mind up on what model), just want to make sure i have the steps right

1. find car i like
    2. ring/email dealer and agree a price
    3. pay small deposit, im guessing credit card is best, make sure to have in writing that the deposit is refundable if car fails inspection
    4. orgainse AA/RAC to inspect car
    5. if car passes inspection, organise date to collect car
    6. book plane and ferry tickets
    7. pick car up

Is transfermate the best option for paying for the car or is a bank draft a better idea

thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement