Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

hi guys hoping to import a car from scotland over the next few months( if i can make my mind up on what model), just want to make sure i have the steps right

1. find car i like
    2. ring/email dealer and agree a price
    3. pay small deposit, im guessing credit card is best, make sure to have in writing that the deposit is refundable if car fails inspection
    4. orgainse AA/RAC to inspect car
    5. if car passes inspection, organise date to collect car
    6. book plane and ferry tickets
    7. pick car up

Is transfermate the best option for paying for the car or is a bank draft a better idea

thanks

Doing the same myself. One thing I think you forgot is hpi check for any outstanding finance. I just did one on a car I'm interested in and it shows up the stock finance the dealer used to purchase the car. Had a word with him and it'll be cleared once the car is invoiced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

hi guys hoping to import a car from scotland over the next few months( if i can make my mind up on what model), just want to make sure i have the steps right

1. find car i like
    3. pay small deposit, im guessing credit card is best, make sure to have in writing that the deposit is refundable if car fails inspection
    7. pick car up

Is transfermate the best option for paying for the car or is a bank draft a better idea

thanks

I paid for my car with a bank draft after paying a deposit with my credit card.

Personally mate I'd have to see and inspect and drive the car myself before I buy.

You might sit into it and feel it's just not right or spot something you weren't informed of in the advert or by the dealer etc, you can't beat the hands on experience, plus it allows for further negotiating with the seller.

That's my opinion anyway. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

panama wrote: »
    I paid for my car with a bank draft after paying a deposit with my credit card.

Personally mate I'd have to see and inspect and drive the car myself before I buy.

You might sit into it and feel it's just not right or spot something you weren't informed of in the advert or by the dealer etc, you can't beat the hands on experience, plus it allows for further negotiating with the seller.

That's my opinion anyway. Good luck.

thanks all good points to keep in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

I am looking at importing a newish/2nd hand late model BMW 520d under the disabled driver scheme so can avail of vat and vrt discount.

Trying to figure out can i buy ex vat from UK i know you can get a new car ex vat by filling in the VAT 411 form

But can you get a nearly new car from a dealer say under 3 months old or is it under 6 months old and buy this ex vat. So maybe get a demo car from dealer with some money off it to help on costs. Don't know if dealers will facilitate this or if it can be done.

I know i can possible reclaim UK VAT but would like to avoid all that hassle by not having to pay it in the first place

Great forum..

If anyone has done anything similar any advice greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

1. find car i like
    7. pick car up

thanks

Why from Scotland? I would expect you to find a much broader and deeper collection of vehicles between Manchester and Brmingham.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

skippy2 wrote: »
    But can you get a nearly new car from a dealer say under 3 months old or is it under 6 months old and buy this ex vat. So maybe get a demo car from dealer with some money off it to help on costs. Don't know if dealers will facilitate this or if it can be done.

you'll need to ask a few dealers to guage what answer you get....ie, call and shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

skippy2 wrote: »
    Trying to figure out can i buy ex vat from UK i know you can get a new car ex vat by filling in the VAT 411 form

Absolutely you can. The VAT 411 form (or maybe it's the associated help document) is quite clear on how a car qualifies and I'm sure under 6 months old qualifies.

Can someone in the know let me know if I've got this right..
    I'm heading over to collect a used car I've bought via eBay in the next few days.
    Money for the owner is sorted.

So as I understand it he must supply me with the V5. I should ensure the car has a valid tax disc for driving to the ferry.
    Is there anything else I need signed
    or to collect?
    Before I take off I call my insurance, ask them to transfer my current policy over to the new car immediately. (have to put my current car up for sale, it's insured)
    When I get back off the ferry contact the nct and arrange an appointment so they can inspect the car for vrt.
    Pay the vrt and send the documents away to the Vehicle registration office in order for it to be registered to my name and so a logbook can be created for the vehicle.
    Collect my new registration plates.
    Pay the applicable motor tax.

Am I forgetting anything here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

You seem to have everything covered. Ask the seller to write out a receipt for you and have him sign it. I would make him aware of the fact you need the full V5c before you travel just so it saves hastle on the day. You can direct him to the DVLA website for info.

When you have your VRT appointment you will be given your new registration number on the spot. You wont need to send documents anywhere. It is then up to you to have your new plates made up in a motor factors or wherever. You wont get the new logbook until you tax it for the first time. You can do this online approx 48 hours after registration by going to motortax.ie. Your PIN will be the last 6 digits on the VIN number. Alternatively you can tax it at your local motor tax office.

This was the procedure when I imported my last car in 2011 so I dont think much has changed since then.

Celtxx wrote: »
    You seem to have everything covered. Ask the seller to write out a receipt for you and have him sign it. I would make him aware of the fact you need the full V5c before you travel just so it saves hastle on the day. You can direct him to the DVLA website for info.

When you have your VRT appointment you will be given your new registration number on the spot. You wont need to send documents anywhere. It is then up to you to have your new plates made up in a motor factors or wherever. You wont get the new logbook until you tax it for the first time. You can do this online approx 48 hours after registration by going to motortax.ie. Your PIN will be the last 6 digits on the VIN number. Alternatively you can tax it at your local motor tax office.

This was the procedure when I imported my last car in 2011 so I dont think much has changed since then.

Great advice, appreciated, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

Only thing is to tax it you don't need to wait 48 hours. You can do it the very next day after paying the VRT.
    i.e. just after midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭smilgy

I'm just after buying a car from up the north and the lad just gave me the v5c outright. I know that I have to keep the whole thing but does any of it have to be filled in ? Because he just handed it to me without filling any of the forms in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

That's correct, some sellers fill in the export bit and send it to the DVLA, but this only to be used when the seller is exporting for his own use.

Thanks. Also, is my drivers license enough as a proof of address? It has been issued to me less than 6 months ago.

smilgy wrote: »
    I'm just after buying a car from up the north and the lad just gave me the v5c outright. I know that I have to keep the whole thing but does any of it have to be filled in ? Because he just handed it to me without filling any of the forms in :D
    Thanks. Also, is my drivers license enough as a proof of address? It has been issued to me less than 6 months ago.

no, you fill in nothing on the V5.
    and no, you need a utility bill or the like to prove you live at the adresss.:pac:

MidlandsM wrote: »

no, you fill in nothing on the V5.
    and no, you need a utility bill or the like to prove you live at the adresss.:pac:
    Damn, gonna have to wait for the bank statement to come in then. Want this sorted as soon as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Damn, gonna have to wait for the bank statement to come in then. Want this sorted as soon as possible
    Do you have anything addressed to you by a government department? That might do the trick....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭done4now

I work/live in the north but hold a southern licence and I am thinking of getting a car.

TBH I dont really have any need for one mid week as I walk/cycle into work. But for the weekends it would be really handy.

What I want to know is if I got 2008 Ford Fiesta from the UK keep it registered in the north for 6 months then register it at my parents address in the south and sell it six months later would I make a small profit from it?

Also could I get anyone who lives in the south to be insured on it while its a northern reg?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

done4now wrote: »
    I work/live in the north but hold a southern licence and I am thinking of getting a car.

TBH I dont really have any need for one mid week as I walk/cycle into work. But for the weekends it would be really handy.

What I want to know is if I got 2008 Ford Fiesta from the UK keep it registered in the north for 6 months then register it at my parents address in the south and sell it six months later would I make a small profit from it?

Also could I get anyone who lives in the south to be insured on it while its a northern reg?

The importation thod would not be lawful and would involve a number of false declarations and revenue offences. Do many insurance companies permit named drivers who do not live at the same address? It's unusual for UK insurers to provide open drive insurance.

You'll need proof of transfer of residency to be exempt from VRT, no resale for 12 months.
    It's illegal for an Irish resident to drive a foregn reg. car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Further- the place is awash in second hand cars (both private and trade sales). You'll be hard pressed to make a profit on a resale here- esp. as the car would be a year older. The main reason for buying up North or in Britain- is for the harder to find models that weren't widely bought here- or for different spec packages. I don't think a Ford Fiesta would tick either of these boxes.

If you leave it at your parents- and then only drive it yourself on UK plates- you could be asked to prove when it was imported. Just because you're not physically present here- doesn't mean the car can be. I think the exemption for non-residents is only for 3 weeks (I stand to be corrected on this one).

One way or the other- what you're proposing is an invitation to have the car seized- and possible prosecution brought against you for tax evasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭done4now

Thanks for the info lads as I am not all the aware of the laws.

I am planning on moving back to the south in the next year or so but I guess I will have to wait to I actually move back to register it in the south.
    aujopimur wrote: »

I thought Quinn (I know they are now goin) insurance did something where an Irish resident could be insured on a UK registered car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

done4now wrote: »
    Thanks for the info lads as I am not all the aware of the laws.

I am planning on moving back to the south in the next year or so but I guess I will have to wait to I actually move back to register it in the south.

I thought Quinn (I know they are now goin) insurance did something where an Irish resident could be insured on a UK registered car.

There was a loophole but they now insist that it must be re-registered within a short period. I cant recall how short or long a period they give you but 90 days at most I believe. If Im not mistaken there is some Govt leglislation surrounding same - ie non Irish plated vehicles that have Irish insurance must be notified to Revenue after a certain period or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

aujopimur wrote: »

In Ireland.
    There's nothing wrong with Irish resident driving foreign registered car abroad, so if he wanted to add someone from Ireland to his NI insurance on car on NI plates, there is nothing wrong with such person driving it anywhere except from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Edgey75

started looking over posts but gave up after 10 pages.
    Has anyone got any advice about buying a classic (pre 81) Landrover series vehicle from the uk and importing here?
    uk prices seem to be around 1200 euro mark and over here the same vehicles people want 3.5k plus.

i also saw something on the uk gov site about historic millitary vehicles about exporting them and you need permission from the uk lot to export them, as a lot of old series 2/3 109 landrovers are ex millitary are they covered even if they been registered after they been disposed of by the uk millitary?

ive owned a series landrover before and know what their like and living very rural here it would be a better choice than a skoda octavia which is getting hammered on the bad roads and tracks here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 John47Newst

Great thead.
    I'm looking at having a car transport firm do the collection and delivery for me. Maybe even buying without visiting to see the car at all, relying on the HPI check and AA inspection to ensure quality deal. My question is how to effect the transfer of ownership. If I pay for the car, for example by credit card, can I just ask the seller ( a car dealership) to mail me the V5S as discussed above. I assume the car transport company will need the keys.
    Any better ideas, as I don't particularly want to drive across.
    Thanks for any help.

The dealer may want to charge for the CC tranaction, he should give you the complete V5 and notify the DLV in writing, some just send them the export slip.
    The haulier should be familiar with your requirements and ensure that keys, paperwork, etc. is handed over at the time of collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 John47Newst

Thanks for the advice, I'm thinking of biting the bullet and going to collect the car myself after all.

Thanks for the advice, I'm thinking of biting the bullet and going to collect the car myself after all.

If you want the car collected, transported individually with care and vetted,inspected prior to loading (all key's,all manuals,V5C, invoice etc), I do this service for many clients. Just pm me :)
    Good luck whatever you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Hassee

Hello,

I am working in Ireland, I am a resident of Finland and i have planned on buying a car in British licence plates from Northern Ireland. I would drive the car 2 months while at work here in Ireland, and after that I would take the car to Finland and register it into Finnish licence plates. How does the British and Irish law go in these situations? Is it possible and in what way? What procedures does it require? How much would the insurances and permits cost for this time?

Thanks,
    Hasse

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement