Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

ok here's a question which I don't think has been asked before...

Say I buy a car in the UK and drive it to Spain, genuinely stay for six months (I have accomodation there), and then drive back to Ireland. Would I be exempt from VRT?

I know not everyone can do this but I could at the moment.

The VRT exemption is in place to ensure that barriers are not (unlawfully) placed in front of those genuinely exercising EU treaty migrant rights. It is framed in the context of a non Irish resident moving to Ireland on an indefinite or long term basis bringing an existing vehicle with them. Temporary migrants (incl students who might move countries for 3-4 years, ie long period) are generally outside the requirement to reregister (and conversely from the VRT exemption).

Residence is generally tested by looking to where you spend greater than 183 days per year. Simply moving to Spain for 6 months would, in my opinion, fail to establsh residence because of the intention for temporary residence. On this basis, I do not think that your proposal will succeed.

In case you think I am unsympathetic, I find the VRT exemption unduly tight. I have lived in the UK for nearly 17 years (still temporary :)) but spend at least 7-10 days per month in Ireland. I would love to reregister a car in Irelad but fail the requirements as I would not be transferring residence to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Shoneen

ok here's a question which I don't think has been asked before...

Say I buy a car in the UK and drive it to Spain, genuinely stay for six months (I have accomodation there), and then drive back to Ireland. Would I be exempt from VRT?

I know not everyone can do this but I could at the moment.

Just on the above I moved back to Ireland in 2011 having spent 16 years living and working in the UK. I had bought my car in the UK in 2008 but when I tried to register my car last year the Revenue tried to make me pay the VRT on the basis that my wife had moved back to Ireland in 2008 and therefore Ireland should have been considered my place of residence at the time I bought the car. This was despite the fact that my job and my home were both in London and had been for over 15 years and the car had only ever been driven in the UK! They eventually backed down when I pointed out to them that their argument meant that I should have registered the car in Ireland in 2008 and under their own rules I wouldn't have been allowed to register the car in Ireland at that time as it hadn't been imported and was being used in the country.

This gives you an idea how tough they are on the residency rules - the non Irish residency has to be at least 12 months prior to bringing the car back and transfer of residency is not achieved by just going away for that period, its effectively relocating your occupational and personal ties out of the country.

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They are incredibly tough on it. If you look at the paperwork you need to get VRT exemption that should give you an idea of how much of a pain it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lisatu

Not sure if this has been asked but if we buy a car in Ireland that has UK plates but no VRT done what happens with having to register it within 7 days of entering the country.

Basically we are looking at a car with UK plates that has been in Ireland a while but not driven here, when we looked into how much it would cost in VRT we saw that it should have been registered within 7 days. This was not done, can we just get a receipt from the seller to show we only have the car a few days when we register for VRT?

Thanks in advance for ant replies

You could always tell him you'll buy it if he puts it through the VRT, it's his problem, not yours.

TBH the seller should have VRT'd the car, in my personal opinion unless the car was an absolute bargain I wouldn't be bothered with the potential hassle of having to do it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

lisatu wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been asked but if we buy a car in Ireland that has UK plates but no VRT done what happens with having to register it within 7 days of entering the country.

Basically we are looking at a car with UK plates that has been in Ireland a while but not driven here, when we looked into how much it would cost in VRT we saw that it should have been registered within 7 days. This was not done, can we just get a receipt from the seller to show we only have the car a few days when we register for VRT?

Thanks in advance for ant replies

lots of car are presented to be vrt'd that were on this island a lot longer than 7 days, you'll have no big issue, the nct crowd just want your cash to clear the car for revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭barefoot

We just spoke with Revenue about VRT today....I'm so glad we made the phone call.
    We work/live in the North of Ireland but still have our home in the South of Ireland. We were told by lots of people that if we bought a car up here after 6 months we could take it back to the south....exempt of VRT. Hubby was not convinced so I phoned Revenue and they said because we own a home in Ireland and are liable for tax as Irish residents we would have to pay the VRT on the car the day we buy it.

The exemption rule is really misunderstood.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

awec wrote: »
    You could always tell him you'll buy it if he puts it through the VRT, it's his problem, not yours.

TBH the seller should have VRT'd the car, in my personal opinion unless the car was an absolute bargain I wouldn't be bothered with the potential hassle of having to do it myself.

I agree with this - do NOT buy the car if it hasn't been VRT'd. This needs to be done within 7 days from when the car entered the country as the VRT was due then. I would be VERY surprised if some penalty is not now due on it, as well as the full VRT from the date it was imported. If you're really keen phone up the NCT VRT helpline and you may get your answer.

Buyer beware !!

Kace wrote: »
    I agree with this - do NOT buy the car if it hasn't been VRT'd. This needs to be done within 7 days from when the car entered the country as the VRT was due then. I would be VERY surprised if some penalty is not now due on it, as well as the full VRT from the date it was imported. If you're really keen phone up the NCT VRT helpline and you may get your answer.

Buyer beware !!

sure, but also be advised of working experience I have of the system, lots of cars that are here months are cleared.with no penalties.

• Advertisement

MidlandsM wrote: »
    sure, but also be advised of working experience I have of the system, lots of cars that are here months are cleared.with no penalties.
    Yea that's true but why take the risk.

If that is the case why does a 'resident for tax purposes' become liable for VRT as soon as the car is purchased....even if they never take it back to Ireland.??
    I don't understand how people can get away without paying penalties and VRT.

barefoot wrote: »
    If that is the case why does a 'resident for tax purposes' become liable for VRT as soon as the car is purchased....even if they never take it back to Ireland.??

I don't know the answer to your question.

Huh?

I'm pretty sure you are only liable for VRT once you bring the car into the state. You have 7 days from bringing it into the state to present it for VRT inspection.

People get away with it because the Guards don't stop people often enough. I've seen 1 Garda checkpoint in the past year checking for things like tax, VRT etc. It's only going to get worse with these cuts too.

I don't know the answer to your question.
    Thanks anyway....

Huh?

I'm pretty sure you are only liable for VRT once you bring the car into the state. You have 7 days from bringing it into the state to present it for VRT inspection.

People get away with it because the Guards don't stop people often enough. I've seen 1 Garda checkpoint in the past year checking for things like tax, VRT etc. It's only going to get worse with these cuts too.
    I was told by Revenue yesterday that when we go to register the vehicle in the south all the documentation we have filled out is crossed matched with our Tax returns and that we would be liable for VRT from the date of purchase not the day we take it into the South. :eek:

How can ye pay VRT on a car that isn't in the country? VRT is for cars imported in to the country, whoever told you that was talking out of their hoop.

If I live in Ireland but work in England 3 days a week and have a car over there that stays over there I'm not going to pay VRT on it. I'll pay UK tax etc.

How can ye pay VRT on a car that isn't in the country? VRT is for cars imported in to the country, whoever told you that was talking out of their hoop.

If I live in Ireland but work in England 3 days a week and have a car over there that stays over there I'm not going to pay VRT on it. I'll pay UK tax etc.
    Yes it does sound wrong doesn't it. She also told me that little Irish Clio we re-registered here in the north so that we could get insurance. (Irish Insurer would not insure us to drive the car in the north for more than 3 months.) should not be taken back to the South at the weekends because we were breaking the law driving it on Northern plates in the south. I think I'll buy a bike...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Yes it does sound wrong doesn't it. She also told me that little Irish Clio we re-registered here in the north so that we could get insurance. (Irish Insurer would not insure us to drive the car in the north for more than 3 months.) should not be taken back to the South at the weekends because we were breaking the law driving it on Northern plates in the south. I think I buy a bike...:rolleyes:

Total tripe. Look-up "frontier worker" in the EU sense. Resident in one member state, working in another, moving frequently between the two.

The way Irish civil servants work is like this:
    1. you apply for something, they say no
    2. you tell them their decision's wrong and point out why
    3. they still say no
    4. you take it to appeal outlining precisely which sections of the rules are applicable and demonstrate precisely how you fit the criteria (again)
    5. they say yes, with their tale between their legs.

Such a waste of everyone's time and money, but I guess the government can afford, what wish them being so flush for cash and all. Oh wait..

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Are you sure you don't mean that you must "book" your car in for a VRT inspection within 7 days of it entering the state, rather then having it "presented" within 7 days? and then have it all cleared (VRT paid) within 30 days of it entering the state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

You are allowed 7 days to make the booking at the NCT centre and the appointment must take place within 30 days.

http://ncts.ie/vrt.html
    An appointment to have your vehicle inspected must be made within 7 days of the vehicle entering the State in order to register and pay the VRT (and any other tax liabilities due on the vehicle). You must then complete the registration process within 30 days of arriving in the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Does anyone know how you appeal the local revenue tax that was applied on top of a recent VRT invoice because of revenue's delay in issuing the main quote and pushed it outside of the 30 days?

Main VRT payment = goes to vehicle office in Rosslare.
    Extra penalty for not having paid VRT within 30 days (even though car was booked in within 7 days to NCT centre and inspected for valuation within 30 days, but revenue's delay to get back with a VRT quote and have it paid pushed it outside the limit of 30 days = goes to local revenue office.

so beware...just because you book your import in for inspection within 7 days of arrival in the state does not mean you will avoid any further penalties.
    so this becomes a tax on top of a tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭ThreeLineWhip

You should appeal that to the revenue appeals commissioners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Total tripe. Look-up "frontier worker" in the EU sense. Resident in one member state, working in another, moving frequently between the two.

The way Irish civil servants work is like this:
    1. you apply for something, they say no
    2. you tell them their decision's wrong and point out why
    3. they still say no
    4. you take it to appeal outlining precisely which sections of the rules are applicable and demonstrate precisely how you fit the criteria (again)
    5. they say yes, with their tale between their legs.
    Such a waste of everyone's time and money, but I guess the government can afford, what wish them being so flush for cash and all. Oh wait..

A bit off topic, but seriously mate, get a grip. Lazy generalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Theres a bloke on my road who's been driving a top of the range bmw with a UK reg for the last 6 months, he's living here, how is he getting away with it if you have register a car with the revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

heybaby wrote: »
    Theres a bloke on my road who's been driving a top of the range bmw with a UK reg for the last 6 months, he's living here, how is he getting away with it if you have register a car with the revenue?

How do you know he's not exempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

heybaby wrote: »
    How do you know he's not exempt?
    And, if you're sure he's not exempt, what's to stop you telephoning the Customs Division and letting them know about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

And, if you're sure he's not exempt, what's to stop you telephoning the Customs Division and letting them know about it?

What drivers are exempt and who do you contact exactly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭iognaid

Im collecting a car from a maindealer at the weekend. I understand that I require the full V5 cert so that I can re register it here? So far no problem, I realise that I require road tac disc. It does not have one. I agreed to pay the 6 month fee, but he says he cannot obtain the licence since it isn't registered in my name. To do so he would have to send the documents to Swansea, which means I wouldn't have the V5.
    All advice most welcome.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement