Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

looking for some advice
    i bought a 30 year old classic car from the uk (on uk plates)
    the car was built in 1983 but i cant find the date in 1983 it was built.
    i want to make sure i can get the classic car vrt rate how do the nct handle this situation. as in 2013-1983 = 30 years old, but say the car was built at the end of 1983 it would not be 30 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

olewy wrote: »
    Loud & clear thanks.

Using Transfermate and my Neteller GBP Prepaid Mastercard is looking like the solution so. http://www.neteller.com/personal/get-a-prepaid-card/

i.e. the procedure & flow of money would look a little something like this;

1. Tomorrow; phone dealer to confirm they accept payment via Mastercard.
    2. Monday; buy Sterling via Transfermate (for best fx rate).
    3. Monday/Tuesday; instruct Transfermate to wire it to my Neteller eWallet (no fee from Neteller's side for receiving international bank transfer ) or worst case scenario via my NIB GBP account in the ROI first as an intermediary if necessary (e.g. if payments to/from accounts in the same name was only possible)
    4. Sunday; pay dealer with Neteller GBP Prepaid Mastercard.
    Done.

Can anybody foresee any flaws with the above?

It looks good provided your Neteller card provider will be able to let you pay such big amount with your card. I'd check with them.

Also are you sure about your sterling NIB account? I though they ceased operating. I was actually looking for Irish based bank providing sterling account a while ago, and I didn't find one.

Also other option which you didn't consider is cash. This, while some people seem to be bit wary or using cash, but it seems to be the easiest and most flexible option. Possibly also the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭olewy

Marcusm wrote: »
    Many dealers don't use cc but this might be a debit transaction. Per neteller's website, the daily limit for POS transactions is £1,500. Given VRT etc, I presume your car will cost more than this. I really think you're going to have to do this on a Monday.

Also have you read the posts on tax/insurance. If the car you' e identified doesn't already have a current tax disc, I'd be shocked if a large reputable dealer would let it off the forecourt until it was taxed. They'll do the tax in the post office but the garage would need an insurance cert in your name. Will you be able to sort this out after you decide whether or not you want it. Impossible on a Sunday.

Also, my experience of UK dealers (4 cars so far) is that it is nigh on impossible not to have to wait a day or two for the car to be prepared.

Yeah its a debit transaction (prepaid card). The limit on the virtual prepaid card (which I also have) is 3,500 so I could do the rest in cash to avoid travelling with the full amount with cash on me. Checking the tax disc status tomorrow (had already taken a note to do this) with the dealer.

Re car prep; I was aware of that. I'll be phoning the garage tomorrow to see if they would be willing to have it prepped by Sunday if possible on the basis that I show committment in buying the car by putting the deposit down tomorrow & paying for the RAC inspection to be done on Monday (checked inspection availability already with RAC). Its a long shot maybe but no harm in asking, they know I'm interested in it anyway. I guess I could show extra committment to buying it by transferring half the cost of the purchase to them this Monday on the understanding that if the inspection showed anything significant that they couldn't resolve to my satisfaction that it would be refundable.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭olewy

CiniO wrote: »
    It looks good provided your Neteller card provider will be able to let you pay such big amount with your card. I'd check with them.

Also are you sure about your sterling NIB account? I though they ceased operating. I was actually looking for Irish based bank providing sterling account a while ago, and I didn't find one.

Also other option which you didn't consider is cash. This, while some people seem to be bit wary or using cash, but it seems to be the easiest and most flexible option. Possibly also the cheapest.

Yeah the NIB Sterling account I opened in ROI some years back & never used it. Still receive statements for it so its still open. Whether they offer them to new customers I don't know.

If it comes to it I'll go the cash route if necessary (via Transfermate & withdrawal from NIB). Just exploring more secure methods first.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭Esel

looking for some advice
    i bought a 30 year old classic car from the uk (on uk plates)
    the car was built in 1983 but i cant find the date in 1983 it was built.
    i want to make sure i can get the classic car vrt rate how do the nct handle this situation. as in 2013-1983 = 30 years old, but say the car was built at the end of 1983 it would not be 30 years old.
    The build date is not relevant. The date of first registration is the one that is relevant.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭plasmin

Bought a car today and collecting in 2 weeks. For those who have bought UK cars before, what/who is the cheapest method to transfer the money?

Hi there,

Can you share name of dealer? I am also looking to buy from UK. How was yr experience?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

olewy wrote: »
    Loud & clear thanks.

Using Transfermate and my Neteller GBP Prepaid Mastercard is looking like the solution so. http://www.neteller.com/personal/get-a-prepaid-card/

i.e. the procedure & flow of money would look a little something like this;

1. Tomorrow; phone dealer to confirm they accept payment via Mastercard.
    2. Monday; buy Sterling via Transfermate (for best fx rate).
    3. Monday/Tuesday; instruct Transfermate to wire it to my Neteller eWallet (no fee from Neteller's side for receiving international bank transfer ) or worst case scenario via my NIB GBP account in the ROI first as an intermediary if necessary (e.g. if payments to/from accounts in the same name was only possible)
    4. Sunday; pay dealer with Neteller GBP Prepaid Mastercard.
    Done.

Can anybody foresee any flaws with the above?

Where abouts in the UK are you buying the car from?

Esel wrote: »
    The build date is not relevant. The date of first registration is the one that is relevant.

on the v5 cert the car was registered in 1994
    date of registration 20-5-94
    does that mean i have to wait another 10 years to register it. even thought its a 1983 car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

There should be a comment on the registration document stating the original registration date and place, if it was previously registered.

heres what it says on the v5 document
    date of registration. 20-05-94
    last change of keeper. 25-11-95
    no of former keepers. 3 since may 94
    1. previously registered and/or used prior to date of registration shown above. declared manufactured 1983.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Is it on normal UK plates or on a personalised reg? In the shift from one to the other, perhaps this discrepancy arose. Otherwise, might it have been registered elsewhere than GB, NI perhaps?

normal uk plates as far as i know. bought from england

normal uk plates as far as i know. bought from england

If the car is early 1983, the reg should end in a Y (even if imported lated). If from 1/8/83, it would begin with an A (this being change over year). If from 1994, it would begin with a K or L. if it begins with a Q then you've bought a car with a lost or uncertain history.

So, which i s it?

yes it ends with a Y
    WEC xxxY

I guess at this stage i should go to nct centre to register the car
    whats the worst that could happen. they tell me its not classic and i dont bother paying vrt

yes it ends with a Y
    WEC xxxY

I guess at this stage i should go to nct centre to register the car
    whats the worst that could happen. they tell me its not classic and i dont bother paying vrt

That's definitely a pre 1 August 1983 reg although under UK rules, it could be attached to a brand new 2012 car. If it's obviously a 1983 car, maybe you'll ave no problem. Why not do a mycarcheck for the DVLA records? It's free but if you don't have access, pm me the full reg and I'll do it for you.

tryed it there no luck
    The registration number you entered doesn't exist in our database. Please call 0844 482 1950 if further investigation is required.

Did you formally notify DVLA f the car having been exported? If not, what checks did you undertake before purchasing? They shoud have thrown this up.

no didnt notify dvla i assume nct centre do all that. bought on ebay so just chanced my arm. payed company to transport to irl. my only concern is to get the classic car vrt rate.

no didnt notify dvla i assume nct centre do all that. bought on ebay so just chanced my arm. payed company to transport to irl. my only concern is to get the classic car vrt rate.

Do a check on this official site using the v5 details rather than reg. if it doesn't show up, I'd worry. Can't see how you'd get classic car VRT rate without prof that it's more than 30 years old. Your position is equivocal, even if a 1983 car, you have no proof that was reg'd in first couple of months in the year.

https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/home/intro?skin=businesslink

OK i did that heres what came up

Date of Liability 01 03 2001
    Date of First Registration 20 05 1994
    Year of Manufacture 1983
    Cylinder Capacity (cc) 5000cc
    CO2 Emissions Not Available
    Fuel Type PETROL
    Export Marker N
    Vehicle Status Unlicensed
    Vehicle Colour BLUE
    Vehicle Type Approval Not Available
    Vehicle Excise Duty rate for vehicle
    6 Months Rate £121.00
    12 Months Rate £220.00

• Advertisement

OK i did that heres what came up

Date of Liability 01 03 2001
    Date of First Registration 20 05 1994
    Year of Manufacture 1983
    Cylinder Capacity (cc) 5000cc
    CO2 Emissions Not Available
    Fuel Type PETROL
    Export Marker N
    Vehicle Status Unlicensed
    Vehicle Colour BLUE
    Vehicle Type Approval Not Available
    Vehicle Excise Duty rate for vehicle
    6 Months Rate £121.00
    12 Months Rate £220.00

That'll be an 18 year old car then, on paper, which is what the VRO goes go. Sorry.

surly that cant be right.
    i guess that the car was in America from 1983 to 1994 then 1994 till now in the uk.

i guess that the car was in America from 1983 to 1994 then 1994 till now in the uk.

So now we get more information; is this a LHD car?

The UK gave it a 1983 reg plate in 1994 (from your info) which would indicate that it was first reg'd in 1983. If not int he UK, then elsewhere. It's your responsbility to provide the documentation to claim the VRT exemption. In the circumstances, you might be able to show that it was first reg'd pre 1 August 1983 (as presumably some docs will have been provided to DVLA in 1994) but without copies of them you won't be able to prove that it was more than 30 yars reg'd when you imported it. Sounds like this might be an expensive omission.

ya its LHD
    all i have is the v5 doc
    thanks for all the advice guys ill just have to go to the nct centre next week and see what happens.

Hang on.. It's an import to the UK? Wasn't first registered in the UK then? Things are different now. Does it state on the V5C that it's an import? It should also state on the V5C the date of first registration (as well as and different from the date of first registration in the UK).

ya its LHD
    all i have is the v5 doc
    thanks for all the advice guys ill just have to go to the nct centre next week and see what happens.

The v5 should have the name of at least some of the prior owners. look them up in the phone book and see if they can identify which US state it came from or use the VIN to ask the manufacturer. A few phone calls is worth the minimum VRT - can't imagine it's less than a 36% car so EUR720.

no mention of import also i only have the v5 document not v5c

no mention of import also i only have the v5 document not v5c
    I think all the old style reg docments were changed for V5Cs when the V5C chnged colour last year and a new reg document was sent out for every car reg'd in the UK. Clearly the car is reg'd (as you've checked the database) and the reg'd keeper should have received the doc but for some reason has not sent it to you. Or have you just received part of the document. All in all, I hope the car is pretty special because all of this is a clusterf*ck.

bit of a nightmare alright but i do like the car.
    would getting a certificate of permanent export v561 be helpful in my situation

• Advertisement

bit of a nightmare alright but i do like the car.
    would getting a certificate of permanent export v561 be helpful in my situation

If you're not the registered keeper, you can't fill out that part; if you live in Ireland, you can't become the registered keeper. Please tell me that you got the full document?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement