Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Esel wrote: »
    You won't be coming back from the UK on a ferry from Belfast or Larne....

Why? They are both in the UK.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Why? They are both in the UK.

They are both in Northern Ireland. You don't need to get a ferry from Northern Ireland to the border with the Republic- the A1/M1 dualcarriageway/motorway does just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

They are both in Northern Ireland. You don't need to get a ferry from Northern Ireland to the border with the Republic- the A1/M1 dualcarriageway/motorway does just fine.

LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

What are the ferry options for coming back from the UK? I know theres Fishguard and Holyhead. Is there anywhere else in the UK a ferry can be got?

Pembroke too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Fleetwood doesn't seem to be sailing anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭olewy

Re VRT assessment of options/extras on a car;

In the scenario where the model of the car came with a higher standard spec in the UK than the Irish standard spec, are the options in the car assessed based on the original price of the Irish options or not at all as they were standard from purchase (in the UK at least)? I assume the former, just want to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

olewy wrote: »
    In the scenario where the model of the car came with a higher standard spec in the UK than the Irish standard spec, are the options in the car assessed based on the original price of the Irish options or not at all as they were standard from purchase (in the UK at least)? I assume the former, just want to check.

I understand the car is assessed on the original price of the Irish options which is not really fair - as you point out, they were standard from purchase in the UK.

You are begining to see grounds for your appeal after you get your VRT figure
    by showing that the original extras's were standard/lower UK sterling price (even converted) and you're being charged on a substantially higher reference value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

I understand the car is assessed on the original price of the Irish options which is not really fair - as you point out, they were standard from purchase in the UK.

You are begining to see grounds for your appeal after you get your VRT figure
    by showing that the original extras's were standard/lower UK sterling price (even converted) and you're being charged on a substantially higher reference value.
    I don't see how that is grounds for an appeal. While they might not be fair the rules are pretty clear about valuing the car based on the theoretical Irish market price of a similarly specced car. Whether something that is an additional cost option in Ireland comes as standard in the UK or elsewhere is irrelevant. You can't expect to win an appeal on the basis that the Revenue followed the rules just because you don't think the rules are fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

I don't see how that is grounds for an appeal. While they might not be fair the rules are pretty clear about valuing the car based on the theoretical Irish market price of a similarly specced car. Whether something that is an additional cost option in Ireland comes as standard in the UK or elsewhere is irrelevant. You can't expect to win an appeal on the basis that the Revenue followed the rules just because you don't think the rules are fair.

I know someone who submitted an appeal based on this and won, so just stating the facts. Not my own experience, or because I don't think the rules are fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

I know someone who submitted an appeal based on this and won, so just stating the facts. Not my own experience, or because I don't think the rules are fair.
    I'd be (genuinely) interested to hear more about the facts of that appeal. It seems completely counter-intuitive. That's something the Revenue (when they were doing the assessments themselves) were known for going after; items that are standard in the UK but paid options in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭olewy

I'd be (genuinely) interested to hear more about the facts of that appeal. It seems completely counter-intuitive. That's something the Revenue (when they were doing the assessments themselves) were known for going after; items that are standard in the UK but paid options in Ireland.

I've just found out the model itself was never sold in Ireland (confirmed with an Irish main dealer). Yet the model is listed on the VRT calculator on ros.ie
    The same model is for sale in Ireland used but they are all UK imports & hence came with the UK spec as standard.

I'm confused as to how the OMSP should be calculated though.

The Vehicle Registration Tax Section 8 Valuation System for New and Used Vehicles at http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/faqs-vrt.html#section9
    would imply that I need to fill out Appendix 4: VRT Pre- registration Self Estimate for Models not listed on ROS but despite the model not ever being sold new in Ireland it's listed on the VRT calculator on ros.ie! What gives, am I reading the Vaulation System document incorrectly?

Who do you ring to ask about VRT costs. Is it the individual NCT centres they have listed?

For the car i'm looking at importing they have 2 records for the exact same car. One is €700 more than the other though!

Also when buying from someone privately in the UK is there anything additional that needs to be done other than getting an AA check etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

Who do you ring to ask about VRT costs. Is it the individual NCT centres they have listed?

For the car i'm looking at importing they have 2 records for the exact same car. One is €700 more than the other though!

Also when buying from someone privately in the UK is there anything additional that needs to be done other than getting an AA check etc?

NCT Centres are not the definitive owners of the answer here - they will defer to Revenue for anything they cannot price themselves, e.g. a high spec car with extras etc.

Key in the UK Reg into this site and it should bring you to the preferred matchhttp://www.motorcheck.ie/blog/vrt-calculator/

Re buying in the UK - ask loads of questions, ask the guy to send you more pictures of the bad stuff so that you know what you're getting, get the AA or RAC check done - this will be the real proof. The one I got done by the RAC a few years back was good. I got the report, but the Engineer also spoke to me on the phone for about 40 minutes telling me anything he found. Don't use this as an excuse not to ask your own questions though and do your own checks when you get over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RootX

Morning,

when importing a car that was first registered mid-June 2008 in UK, how is the motor tax going to be calculated, based on the engine CC(old system) or emissions(new system)?
    I'm thinking of getting myself an RX-8 R3 but if the tax is going to be emissions based, I'll go for an earlier model(can't justify 2K+ in tax).

My understanding is that the car can be taxed under the old system but I guess I'm a little bit confused because the tax calculator website gives only two options, for cars 2008 and newer & cars 2008 and older.

many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DHFrame

RootX wrote: »
    Morning,

when importing a car that was first registered mid-June 2008 in UK, how is the motor tax going to be calculated, based on the engine CC(old system) or emissions(new system)?
    I'm thinking of getting myself an RX-8 R3 but if the tax is going to be emissions based, I'll go for an earlier model(can't justify 2K+ in tax).

My understanding is that the car can be taxed under the old system but I guess I'm a little bit confused because the tax calculator website gives only two options, for cars 2008 and newer & cars 2008 and older.

many thanks.

Any 2008 vehicle can be taxed on the old system or the new one.

E.g. My 2008 BMW 118i was registered in March 2008. I was given the option to tax it on cc, 1998cc is high, I forget my numbers but somewhere in the region of €700 per year? So I chose to tax it on co2 instead which is €280 per year.

It can work against you as well. we used to own a 2008 1.4 Toyota Auris, it was cheaper to tax it under cc rather than c02 because its a very un-efficient engine putting out more c02 than the bimmer.

I don't how this works in regards to imported cars? I presume you choose at the tax desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

DHFrame wrote: »
    Any 2008 vehicle can be taxed on the old system or the new one.

E.g. My 2008 BMW 118i was registered in March 2008. I was given the option to tax it on cc, 1998cc is high, I forget my numbers but somewhere in the region of €700 per year? So I chose to tax it on co2 instead which is €280 per year.

It can work against you as well. we used to own a 2008 1.4 Toyota Auris, it was cheaper to tax it under cc rather than c02 because its a very un-efficient engine putting out more c02 than the bimmer.

I don't how this works in regards to imported cars? I presume you choose at the tax desk.

Any Jan-Jun 2008 vehicle can be taxed under both, whichever is lower. This brings an interesting question, a March 2008 Swift was lower on emissions when they were first introduced, but if imported now, it's a fiver cheaper on cc. So for 2 identical same reg month cars, will one be taxed on cc and one on co2?

What documentation do I need to get off a private seller in the UK.

I know theres a V5. Do I need all or part of this?

I presume I need to get a receipt drawn up to show the date I bought it etc?

Have the car sorted just need to book the AA in and then go collect if all as described.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

What documentation do I need to get off a private seller in the UK.

I know theres a V5. Do I need all or part of this?

I presume I need to get a receipt drawn up to show the date I bought it etc?

Have the car sorted just need to book the AA in and then go collect if all as described.

All of V5. Receipt doesn't really matter.

All of V5. Receipt doesn't really matter.
    Back to the drawing board now anyway. Hit buy it now for the car. Did a HPI check and car came back as being bought in March this year. Rang the seller and he said he'd had it 8 months. Told him i'd pay a £100 deposit as he requested and get the AA check booked in for next Tuesday and as long as all was in order be over later in the week to collect.

Started getting defensive and saying the AA checks were ridiculous etc. and that when you buy on eBay you turn up see the car, service history and pay the money.

Said I wanted the AA check to ensure it was as described as i'm not a mechanic and don't want to travel over and find any issues.

Seemed like he had something to hide so was best avoided

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Seemed like he had something to hide so was best avoided
    I don't blame him.

You hit BUY IT NOW. If you wanted to have it checked out why not arrange that first?

• Advertisement

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I don't blame him.

You hit BUY IT NOW. If you wanted to have it checked out why not arrange that first?
    So that I didn't spend 200 quid on a check and then for him to sell to someone else if they hit buy it now in the meantime!

I told him i'd pay the deposit now and as long as it was as described based on an AA check collect and pay in line with his requirements of collecting within 7 days.

What do you find unreasonable about that? I agreed a price by hitting buy it now and told him it was subject to the car being as stated. Buying / bidding on a car on eBay isn't binding like for other items.

Under what eBay state its a buyer's serious expression of interest in buying the seller's item and does not create a formal contract between the buyer and the seller.

I was seriously interested in buying it if as described. Where's the problem?

So that I didn't spend 200 quid on a check and then for him to sell to someone else if they hit buy it now in the meantime!

I told him i'd pay the deposit now and as long as it was as described based on an AA check collect and pay in line with his requirements of collecting within 7 days.

What do you find unreasonable about that? I agreed a price by hitting buy it now and told him it was subject to the car being as stated. Buying / bidding on a car on eBay isn't binding like for other items.

Under what eBay state its a buyer's serious expression of interest in buying the seller's item and does not create a formal contract between the buyer and the seller.

I was seriously interested in buying it if as described. Where's the problem?
    Did you tell the seller what you were planning before you hit BUY IT NOW and have their agreement?

Did you tell the seller what you were planning before you hit BUY IT NOW and have their agreement?
    I hit buy it now then sent him this mail:

Hi. I just want to confirm if it is ok to get an AA check performed on this at my expense prior to collection. I am in Ireland so it is a bit of a journey for me to view and collect so just want to make sure all is in order.

I believe I need the full V5 also to be able to bring it back and register here so was wondering if you have that. If all sounds ok with this I can book in the AA check and pay a deposit and collect next week provided there's no unlisted issues.

If you could pass on your contact details I can also give you a call to discuss.

His response was: "Hi you can of course have a aa inspection the cars only just over 3 years old so iam sure there is no major issues.
    I would expect the deposit within 24 hours and the car collecting and paying in full within 7 days"

He also included his contact details and asked to call at 3. Did that. Started off fine and then got more defensive as I asked questions. Just looked him up on Google and seen he got done for tax fraud last year too so probably just as well.

I hit buy it now then sent him this mail:

Hi. I just want to confirm if it is ok to get an AA check performed on this at my expense prior to collection. I am in Ireland so it is a bit of a journey for me to view and collect so just want to make sure all is in order.

I believe I need the full V5 also to be able to bring it back and register here so was wondering if you have that. If all sounds ok with this I can book in the AA check and pay a deposit and collect next week provided there's no unlisted issues.

If you could pass on your contact details I can also give you a call to discuss.

His response was: "Hi you can of course have a aa inspection the cars only just over 3 years old so iam sure there is no major issues.
    I would expect the deposit within 24 hours and the car collecting and paying in full within 7 days"

He also included his contact details and asked to call at 3. Did that. Started off fine and then got more defensive as I asked questions. Just looked him up on Google and seen he got done for tax fraud last year too so probably just as well.
    Probably is just as well but it is incredibly annoying and frustrating when people hit BUY IT NOW rather than arranging a view/inspection before hand. It's one of the things that makes ebay a pain to use.

I can't understand why you see nothing wrong with entering into an agreement to buy the car and then trying to change the terms after the deal is done. It removed his ability to sell it to someone else and costs him to have the ad re-listed not to mention the time and hassle of it all.

Anyway it's taking this thread OT.

Probably is just as well but it is incredibly annoying and frustrating when people hit BUY IT NOW rather than arranging a view/inspection before hand. It's one of the things that makes ebay a pain to use.

Anyway it's taking this thread OT.
    Why the caps? If I didn't hit buy it now I could arrange an AA inspection etc. and then have someone else hit buy it now and i've wasted all that money.

He should have just put it up as a classified add if he didn't want that. They don't have the buy it now option. They work just like an add on any other car site.

Why the caps? If I didn't hit buy it now I could arrange an AA inspection etc. and then have someone else hit buy it now and i've wasted all that money.
    You agreed to buy it and then changed the deal.

As you're never going to get it I'm just going to leave it.

You agreed to buy it and then changed the deal.

As you're never going to get it I'm just going to leave it.
    You might as well leave it as your still wrong.

For motor vehicles and real estate, a bid or offer initiates a non-binding transaction representing a buyer's serious expression of interest in buying the seller's item and does not create a formal contract between the buyer and the seller.

For motor vehicles and real estate, a bid or offer initiates a non-binding transaction representing a buyer's serious expression of interest in buying the seller's item and does not create a formal contract between the buyer and the seller.

But you didn't bid or offer, you clicked buy it now and the seller accepted thus creating a contract.......

But you didn't bid or offer, you clicked buy it now and the seller accepted thus creating a contract.......

The buy it now is offering the price advertised. Show me where It says I entered a contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You've quoted from the US eBay.com user agreement (the hint was in the next sentence referring to Utah law). The eBay.co.uk agreement has the following

For motor vehicles listed in the Classified Ad format and real estate (property), a bid or offer initiates a non-binding transaction representing a buyer's serious expression of interest in buying the seller's item and does not create a formal contract between the buyer and the seller.

"Buy it now" is not "Classified Ad" format generally and you may fid that you can't simply rescind the purchase. A material misdisclosure by the seller as to condition etc may make a difference. You have to be very careful with eBay auctions and Buy it now; both are intended to create enforceable contracts as BA has told you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement