Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C++ In College

Options
  • 26-07-2004 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

Ok next year i'll have my leavin completed. I am learning C++ myself now here at home and I am just wondering what is it like to learn in college..is there any point. Do they teach you the right way or just crap? Just wondering, because mom wants me to go to college but i amn't sure if its the best option for me. I am not a study person or anything like that but I learn quick with computer stuff but i dunno what that be like in college. What i want to do is skip college and go to canada for the rest of my life.

Just wondering if people here went collge studying programming and what it like. was it worth it?

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

I'm just finished 1st year computer systems in UL and they teach C++ for the programming modules in 1st year. Its reasonably ok. If you know a bit before you start it helps alright. You shouldn't have much of a problem with it from what you said.

I can't speak for other colleges and what they teach in their programming modules so I'm not much help there. Why would you want to run of to canada for the rest of your existence??

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Thanks rory.....

Well I wanna run because I love that place and i think it good to start a career or business there. Obviously i must check it out more and all that...but maybe not as close as next year, maybe 2 years i go there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

I went to TCD - Computer science. When I graduated I met up with a school-mate while I was still in my first job - who did a City & Guilds diploma and had already been working 2 years. Being the competitive types we quickly identified that he was earning twice what I was.

I since have worked in two jobs that I wouldn't have got without this qualification. While I haven't met the guy in two years - and we haven't talked salaries in five I guess we are in the same ball-park - only I managed to stay (semi)-technical. The main difference between us is, that he wanted to stay here - I wanted to go overseas which I did. I believe my degree got me this.

I was already programming before I left school - getting Summer contracts in the UK for writing games - I quickly realised the bucks were in the qualification.

I wouldn't like to sound snobbish - but ultimately - a univeristy degree travels better (particularly overseas) than a diploma. BUT the big message is get a qualification or you are going to be exploited no matter how talented you are!

OK. I'll rephrase that - you will be exploited less...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Webmonkey, I'd have to agree that a degree or some other good formal qualification is important. A lot of people do get on very well without one but as so many people have formal educations employers generally treat having a degree as the bottom requirement for quite a few entry level jobs. Even people with reasonable degrees have been having trouble getting jobs in technical areas.

It's very important to learn how to program in a particular way rather than in a particular language. A good college course should give you the background in this along with all the other theoretical foundation you need.

If you do decide to do a Comp Sci or Comp Apps / Comp Sys Degree/Diploma pick your choice wisely as some will be better and suit you more than others.

Also having spend four years in college (Comp & Elec Eng in NUIG), I can say that most of the people I went to college with weren't 'study people' and did their best to minimise the amount they did. Being interested in a subject and good at it buys you a hell of a lot of easy marks when it comes to study time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ldw

While learning computer languages is important and certain languages are easier to learn than others.......I believe that having a good grounding in Programmable Logic is vital. To be honest, being a good developer doesnt necessarily mean being an expert C++ or Java programmer, it helps but being able to choose the right language and architecture for the project is more important.

I myself learned PDL, which allowed me to apply the same theory to several different languages....the syntax and implementation methods being the only difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

It costs a bloody fortune to go to college in Canada, I know graduates paying back 20 - 30 thousand dollars after 4 years, so if you decide that you definitely want to settle there, but want a degree as well, I would strongly recommend getting the qualification in Ireland first...

As for studying programming, I have found that if you are genuinely interested in it, and spend a fair amount of time actually writing code then college shouldn't be too difficult...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you don't like studying, and would prefer to learn coding by hacking away at a program someone asked you to write as an excercise, then ignore Computer Science. It's a science. So it involves study and theory.

But no matter what college course you choose, there will be some study. A Comp Apps degree in one of the ITs sounds like your best bet.
    Online tutorials can teach you a lot, but there's no subsititute for an experienced lecturer and a computer lab full of people exchanging ideas and helping eachother.

Even if you end up thinking college was a waste of time, you'll come out with a good qualification, some good mates, and you'll have enjoyed your time.

Don't be so quick to run off and get a job. You're only young once. When you're 30, you'll lament the fact that you never went away on a tour of a few countries, with little money, and less of a clue, or of spending two weeks partying solid, and sleeping the following two weeks. Don't be so eager to give up your freedom :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Goto canada on a year out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Originally posted by damnyanks
    Goto canada on a year out

Exactly what i am doing now, thought about it this evening....

I am goign to go to college in ireland. I have a good bit of programming experience behind me, VB , PHP...so that should carry me alone. But i am still goin to study C++ on my own for now because i still have another year in school. Then i taking a year out and i should go into college then with a good understanding. I love to program and do creative things like that so i think i should get on ok.

Thanks for the help lads & girls maybe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

I am goign to go to college in ireland. I have a good bit of programming experience behind me, VB , PHP...so that should carry me alone. But i am still goin to study C++ on my own for now because i still have another year in school. Then i taking a year out and i should go into college then with a good understanding. I love to program and do creative things like that so i think i should get on ok.

It may be worth your while going to Trinity. A year after graduation - you could apply to buy your masters (for a few hundred quid) - This masters degree is worthless here - but I know a guy who ended up earning more than his boss (on the strength of it) in the US; Canada - no idea.

This was in 1997 so dunno if this is ALL still true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Hello I just finished 4th year in software engineering; C++ is not hard to learn it’s the OO technology that you need to worry about. It is easier to learn programming in college other than trying to learn it on your own, because programming is not about a language its about problem solving (a completely different ball game). I to am not the studying type either but comp stuff is interesting to me. My advice is to travel for a while and then see if the IT industry settles down a bit (if it dose then do the college thing).

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by Webmonkey
    I am just wondering what is it like to learn in college..is there any point.

If you want a job in computing, get a degree. I quit my course in college after 3 years, and it was a bad idea. There are two things you need to get a good job in the computer industry:

1. experience
    2. qualifications

I have plenty of 1, but not enough 2. I get by, but I have been turned down from many jobs I was well able to do because I didnt have a "relevant third level qualification". College is fun in any case.

Advertisement