Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Registered Cars Stats

Options
  • 27-07-2004 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hey, can any one tell me where i can go to find out the number of registered cars of a particular make and model of car. in particular a corsa b 1.6 gsi.

i have been lucky enought to get one fairly cheaply, but want to know how many of them there are in the country for when i go to sell it (no plans as yet ofc but my insurance is due a hike next yr due to claiming for a stolen car :( )

2 mechanics have said they could be as little as 7 or them around?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Well i have just noticed some dude in buyandsell.ie advertising his as one of only 2 in the country!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

The best you can see in public sphere are the reports on how many new registrations there were only in a given year, only by marque.

But the infomation your desire does exist in the "National Vehicle & Driver File"

The database, 1993 - todate is accessed by the Gardai, Revenue, Dept of Transport, Dept of Soc and Fam Aff, NCT and CSO.

The variables on the database are make/model, year of manufac, CC, current insurance company, current NCT, number of previous owners,.

The database is controlled by the "Vehicle Registration Unit" of the Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government, this would be who to contact.

Unfortunately your enquiry, as a mere member of the public would be fruitless, you must be media, or one of the above, so failing that you should change an FOI request.

http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/DOEIPub.nsf/wvNavView/GenInfo?OpenDocument&Lang=en#2

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

ok, with the fact its 1.23am i am half asleep, but would a garda have access to this database?

and what are the chances of getting the info throught the freedom of information act?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by Wanton
    and what are the chances of getting the info throught the freedom of information act?
    See this

Originally posted by kbannon
    See this

and more specifically http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/DOEIPub.nsf/wvNavView/GenInfo?OpenDocument&Lang=en#2

I woulnd't hold too much hope there are plenty of reasons to refuse, especially that it is "commercially sensitive information"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by vector
    I woulnd't hold too much hope there are plenty of reasons to refuse, especially that it is "commercially sensitive information"
    Probably not. "Commercially sensitive information" means information that would unfairly compromise someone commercially, e.g. making public the individual rates included in someone's tender as opposed to the total amount of the tender. I don't think the number of second hand cars of a particular model would fall into this category. Making public the number of a particular model sold new in June 2004 might be considered CSI, as advantage could be leveraged from it, but not out of date information on second hand cars.

The information sought is the total number of cars of a given model, be those cars on their first owner, or a subsequent owner.

Besides, you just know that whatever the info, they don't want to release it, they would rather sell it to some fee paying company. (without personal info which would be against data protection etc etc)

Advertisement