Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improvement in 56k online game

Options
  • 27-07-2004 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

Some of what I'm posting here doesnt make sense but all I know is that it has made the world of difference to me since sunday on "she who must be obeyed"'s machine at home.
    Firstly the machine itself is crap i.e. duron 1.6, ddr 266, 40 gb 7200 rpm, mx440, intel 56k hardware, 98 SE installed since 99 and subject of many upgrades without a wipe. When online the lag was truly crap and I noticed that when I came offline i.e. disconnected from server but still had game open the lag was still present so I decided to do some housekeeping on PC.
    No viruses or spyware found, Scandisk very slow but clean and defrag was done recently so very little fragmentation .
    I decided to download any newer VIA chipset drivers ad found that I had the latest recommended 4 in 1 driver but there was a newer Hyperion driver not really recommended but could be used so I said what the hell I can always roll it back.
    After download and install I ran defrag again to see if there was any increase in HDD access speed and lo and behold defrag started moving chunks of data around the drive like nobodys business. One more reboot and I needed another small download which now came in at above 5k up from the normal 3.5k.
    Went online with BFV and apart from some lag spikes perfectly playable. I think some of the lag spikes are connected to then ISP POP as there are often similar interruptions in downloads.
    It seems that some of the lag in the game is not 100% data transfer related but connected to file fragmentation / bad coding and if system is optimised to the sweet spot then it all works better. BTW the game now loads in half the time.

Now all I need is to get my gameplay sorted out :)

Advertisement