Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get cheap racer?

Options
  • 27-07-2004 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭

hi,

i'm trying to get a cheap racer (probably going to be 2nd hand). i use my current bike (bog-standard mountain bike) to go everywhere but i feel i could be getting places alot quicker.

it dosnt have to be very good/fancy as i dont actually want to use it as a hobby (just for getting to work/college). i just want the frame and wheels for their fastness.

i checked the buyandsell and put an ad on boards here but i dont know anything about bikes really so i dont know what to go for. my budget is maximum 200 (so u see why i'm going for 2nd hand).

if anyone can tell me what to look for and more importantly WHERE to find it, i'd be greatful.

cheers

ferdi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

At €200 it is really going to have to be Buy & Sell I think. I got a pristine, barely used Trek 1000 from Cycleogical for €450, and he threw in SPD pedals... which is a good discount from the €800 new, but above your budget. The only other option I could think of besides Buy & Sell are the Falcoln racers which I think start (new) around €250-275 - Ultrabike in Ranelagh were selling one around the time that I got my Trek. Other than that just keep an eye out in B&S and something might appear, although it might be a bit older if you really need a road bike.

You would probably manage to get a hybrid around your price range easier; I got a nice aluminum Dawes Discovery 201 yesterday for my commuting/to get stolen bike at €125 - this would still feel a lot faster than a 'bog standard mountain bike' but obviously not as fast as a racer.

As for what to look for, try it out to see if it goes well, making sure to check:

- gears; do they go all the way in both directions, and smoothly
    - bottom bracket: try wobbling the pedals with your hand, there shouldn't be any give
    - does the chain skip in any of the gears if you put a lot of pressure on the pedals?
    - spin both wheels by hand to see if there are any buckles
    - might be no harm to check for loose spokes (just lightly sqeeze pairs)
    - brakes: do they work; are the brake pads worn
    - anything rubbing or creaking when you are (a) pedaling (b) free-wheeling

Most of these things can be fixed easily enough but you can negotiate a discount if there is anything wrong.

Advertisement