Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who got the Bargain Players and who paid over the odds....?

• 27-07-2004 10:48am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think Newcastle have done very well in getting Butt,he will be a very good player for them.But Kluivert has to be the buy of the season...they got him for free.I also think Fulham did well getting Andy Cole for free,but the jury is still out as to if he is past it.Hasselbaink was also a bit of good business for Middlesbrough again no fee.

As for over the odds...well Chelsea are at it again,Didier Drogba was going for £2million only a bit over a year ago I dont no how you go from that to £24million.I think they paid well over the odds...but they just dont care.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Birmingham -

Mikael Forssell (loan)
    Julian Gray (free)
    Jesper Gronkjaer (£2.2million)
    Emile Heskey (£6.25million)
    Muzzy Izzet (free)
    Mario Melchiot (free)

Except for the 6.25 for Heskey they are all excellant buys! as well I have a feeling Heskey could have a good season along side Forssell....Morrison will be on loan by Xmas

Drogba was the biggest waste! but then thats Chelsea.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Claus Jensen to Fulham for 1.25 million, a great buy in my opinion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I think the buy of the season could be Nick Barmby to Hull again for free,he is still only 30 and only two years ago Leeds paid 3 Million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

henrik larson to barca for free.
    Josemi to anfield for 2m.
    Kezman 5.25m

Drogba for what was it 250m or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

While Kluivert was free, I imagine his wages wud be around 5million a year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

ViLLA

3 million for Martin Laursen from Milan

Carlton Cole on Loan from Chelsea

The impending arrival of Mathieu Berson from Nantes from Nantes for 1.5 million.

As for Birmingham the donkey from Shrek would be a better crosser of the ball than Gronkjaer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by bazH

whats that around £90,000 , no I think his wages are around the 75,000 mark .

his agent said he wasnt asking for 80,000 + a week so I say it was probably something close to that cause Kluivert dosent come cheap .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Arent Barca paying £40k of his wages per week? At least thats what was being talked about before he signed, wasnt it?

Bargain of the season could well be Kezman to Chelsea - or how about Rebrov to West Ham on a free - now thats a good deal. Reckon he will crack in the goals in div 1, assuming he doesnt go awol half way through the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by bazH
    Aye, people never take wages into consideration. I was actually talking about this with someone yesterday. They were saying £6m is a bit too much for Andy Reid. I asked him would he take someone like O'Shea if he was offered to them for free and he said with open arms. He didn't even think of what O'Shea is earning. He's actually earning around the £50k mark, Reid would be on around £20k max. Over 4 seasons the club would end up paying more for O'Shea's wages than Reid's wages and transfer fee put together.

On Drogba. While most of us would say £24m is over the odd's, that doesn't mean Chelsea don't care what there splashing out. Clubs have payed a lot more for players who have turned out to be wasters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

no I think that was the story when there was that fony loan deal (which neither club even considered) idea .

Newcastle are paying all his wages .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Nicky Butt is an absolutely fantastic buy, I'm very happy he gets to play for Newcastle where he will get a regular game and hopefully show he deserves a spot in the english squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by PHB
    I think Nicky Butt is an absolutely fantastic buy, I'm very happy he gets to play for Newcastle where he will get a regular game and hopefully show he deserves a spot in the english squad

Its a great move by Sir Bobby, Butt would have been in the Euro 2004 squad except for injury.

Mike.

Advertisement