Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD Rom Drawer Keeps Opening

Options
  • 27-07-2004 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

I turned on my pc the other day and my cd-rw drive will not stop opening and closing. I know that this may be related to a trojan virus but I cannot find any answers to the problem. I've ran Mcafee Virus Scdan on all the drives but If didn't find any virus on the machine.

Can any one here help or point me in the right direction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Could be one of three things........that I can think of

1) the CD Drive is very sick...easiest way to test this is to switch to DOS while the CD is doing its stuff & if it keeps opening & closing - chances are the CD drive is faulty.

2) Most likely - its a trojan - you say you've run a visrus scan, but might be worth checking if there's an update. (Contact McAfee). Netbus trojan provides a backdoor & that can cause problems see:

http://home.t-online.de/home/TschiTschi/netbus_eng.htm

3) You have a problem with your installation of Media Player. Some versions had a glitch in them that made a call on the system & caused the CD drawer to open & close - try installing a different version.

Hope it of some help

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Cheers andip for the Ideas I'll give them a shot.

Advertisement