Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woah!! Tribes Servers ..IGN - TInet

Options
  • 26-05-1999 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

I know it not just me when I say things have gotten much worse over the past few days..

I look at mine and other pings and they have all gone up about 40% with the spikes bringing howls of LAGG from the 4 or 5 ppl with poor connections (or they just get dissed)

I donno if TInet have pulled some plugs (or added some ?) or IGN tweakin!, I just miss being able to play a complete game without reconnecting 6 times..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Nasty that.

Nothing has changed on the server unfortunately that I could point to, I will try moving the Q2 servers when our second linux server comes back up and see if that helps.

Any sign of a linux Tribes server?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 SS 01 Coyote

Yep! - good ol' TINET again.

I hate them with a vengence now! sad.gif

You should try getting them to tell you about bandwidth availability, user to modem ratios and the like, its like pulling teeth!

Regards,

[SS-01]Coyote
    "Abandon All Hope!"

coyote@tinet.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

yeh ive started getting much more in game freezes than i used to. No disses so i suppose im fortunate.

"its like pulling teeth!"

I choose not to take that literally smile.gif

Cardinal Fang, fetch...the comfy chair!
    clans.quake2.co.uk/hiv
    www.planet-tribes.com/em

Well it doesn't seem to be a problem on the server anyway, lots of CPU and memory available even at peak times.

server_usage.gif

Its TINET sad.gif(at least for those of us poor sods who are connected through them it is)!!!

I have replaced PCs, Modems, lines etc. I have had telecom check line quality. Everything checks out except the ISP.

Their service has dropped over the last three months. I keep hitting regular issues like 'unable to establish connection' (modem-user ratio) and 'connected - but frozen' (bandwidth availability?) and the really nasty 'disconnected' feature each night.

Lately I cannot get a single hour of solid internet access from TINET without one of the above happening. The problem is that its such a pain in the ass to change ISPs, not technically - but from a comms point of view everyone has my coyote@tinet.ie address, and its too much like hard work trying to contact everyone and let them know its changed.....

I suggest we all email TINET and moan like fuppin billio smile.gif

I've been hitting them with nasty emails for the three months, and it would help if everyone else did likewise.

Regards,

[SS-01]Coyote
    "Abandon All Hope!"

coyote@tinet.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I dont use tinet

hahahahahahahaha

take it lag boys

The Vaggabond of the Western World
    Electric Mayhem
    www.planet-tribes.com/em
    www.tribesplayers.co.uk

seriously

cheers again cloud, I suppose it would be easy for you to ignore us,

you r in trouble BTW 50 odd Irish tribers owe you a beer, so chances are you will get bought all of these in one night *doh*

Ripper, in all fairness, it would be all to easy for TiNet to kik us off and tell us to go sling our hook if we stir up too much shite, they do the servers for free, no charge for mucho bandwith or hosting or whatever. That is why I prefer to ask cloud nicely instead of shouting at tinet.

But the server has gone la la over the last while, its got to the stage where the connect to wireplay in the UK is better than to TiNet which is a bit mad.

Electric Mayhem
    www.planet-tribes.com/em
    www.tribesplayers.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭SS 01 Ripper

me ? I'm asuming you ment coyote, since this is the first of my posts in this thread...but yes...wireplay do give me better connects and so does UKGAMERS or whatever it calls itself. That is kinda sad since I'd expect a server in Ireland to be best for people in Ireland...apparantly the US ppl have very good connections to the IGN server as well...the other day a US guy was playing with only 130 ping !!! I was sitting there with about 150 or so..not funny at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Oh well I've posted this thread to the rest of the IGN team so we'll see if there's any ideas, I'll let you all know.

In the meantime, I am hoping to set up a third IGN Tribes server when we move servers about a bit, if anyone has any mod ideas let me know.

J.
    --

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ehldas

With regard to Tinet running the servers for free and thus providing us with a service, it could equally be argued that a good few of us are using Tinet solely *because* of the servers, and thus we pay them a large amount of money each year for something which is becoming increasingly less valuable.

This is *not* a hit at the people running the servers : I seriously appreciate what you do for the Irish gaming community. It's a hit at Telecom Eireann and Tinet's admin in particular, who seem to have no concern for users whatsoever and whose first response is simply to deny everything and blame your modem.

On Monday, I was downloading the latest Linux kernel, and after 96% finished downloading, Tinet simply disconnected the modem abruptly. It was a flawless, 4kbps connection, and there was *absolutely* no reason for something like that to happen. That's the sort of service problem that leaves me incoherent with rage, because there is *NO* recourse.

Ehldas

• Advertisement

Ehldas, you've hit it on the head.

IGN - fab, no problems smile.gif

TINET service, support and admin - tripe! sad.gif

I've gone through sooooooooo many modem conversations that go around and around in circles of ever decreasing sense, even when I tell them I can reproduce the problems on different modems, internal and external, different chipsets etc.... They still wanna convince me its the modem sad.gif

Regards,

[SS-01]Coyote
    "Abandon All Hope!"

coyote@tinet.ie

Cloud,
    I am currently wading through 100,000 different mods (cheers boss smile.gifyou know who you are!) so I will mail you the best ones - hows that !

Just leave a space for some of that normondy action www.planet-tribes.com/normandy

Electric Mayhem
    www.planet-tribes.com/em
    www.tribesplayers.co.uk

>Ehldas, you've hit it on the head.

I wish :-)

Apparently the server might need a good reboot (Slosh thinks!) which can't be done remotely due to a BIOS problem so will see if it changes after that - Slosh mentioned memory leaks and stuff, and he'd know more about that than I would!

Ah, that's easy. There's a nice way to attach a taser to an analogue alarm clock, which zaps the **** out of your machine every 12 hours :-)

Now if you were running a sane OS...

Ehldas

phonelines ppl. Not into your house directly, but have you seen the state of some the lines across the country?

clans.quake2.co.uk/hiv
    www.planet-tribes.com/em

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭YuM

As far as moving to iol.. yuk..

Packet loss from iol to anywhere suks BIGtime.. maybe thats just Sligo ?.. although while you dont get dissed, connection is only at 33.6. and the flashing phone jack disturbs my aim summit fierce..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Creeper

Btw Vaggabond, I've been told to reconfigure the filtering software on your firewall in work. Just thought you should know.
    What port does Tribes connect on again?

dont mean to be rude - but who r u?

plus I dont play tribes in work - i have it loaded all right but just to load mods and huds on to to see if they work......

Or do you mean for net access........

oh thats reaper.

Long time quake-veteran dude.

clans.quake2.co.uk/hiv
    www.planet-tribes.com/em

• Advertisement
Advertisement