Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(request) cheapest hard drive ?

• 27-07-2004 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

Where is the cheapest harddrive (inc delivery). Looking for a 120/160/200 gig ide. Komplett seem to be with 160 seagate for euro 95 + 10 shipping

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

i think thats the cheapest..was browsing jes and couldn't find a cheaper one
    seagates are top of the range (even though they're also noisy)
    I'd get that one it won't be there long....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

I see seagate now have a 5 year warranty. But whatever you do don't buy exelstor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Seagate have increased their warranty on all drives purchased from June 1st last to 5 years. The Seagate drives are quiet (probably the quietest) but slightly lower performers than some other drives.

The best drives performance wise are:

Hitachi Deskstar 7K250
    and
    Western Digital Caviar Special Edition (same performance as 7K250 but noisier)

You should buy a drive with 8Mb cache and a 3 year warranty or more. Any of Hitachi, Western Digital, Seagate, Samsung or Maxtor should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

cheers guys will go with komplett so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Was thinking of getting one myself.

Sorry for going off topic but which of the external cases on komplett is the best?

I was going to get a Zynet one but they wont be back in stock before the offer is over.

Probably getting one with firewire and I was just wondering if the eMagic or the Zynet Polar is the better drive?

I assume neither have a fan?

Sorry again for the offtopicness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

cosgrove80 wrote:
    Sorry for going off topic but which of the external cases on komplett is the best?

I was going to get a Zynet one but they wont be back in stock before the offer is over.

Probably getting one with firewire and I was just wondering if the eMagic or the Zynet Polar is the better drive?

I assume neither have a fan?
    If you don't already have the hard disk and need to buy it also, and you want a large hard disk - consider getting one of the Maxtor external USB2.0/Firewire drives; this would actually work out cheaper for you and everything is already stuck together and guaranteed. So no configuration issues and they look nice too. These have fans and work very well (although I would expect both of the models you linked to have fans as well). They are also nicely engineered for heat dissapation and can be stacked easily.

E.g.

250gb Maxtor external = 249
    300gb Maxtor external = 279

Cheapest 250gb internal = 187, e.g. enclosure costing 62
    Cheapest 300gb internal = 233, e.g. enclosure costing 46

Of course this doesn't work too good for the 200gb with Komplett having a special on one of those at 122; the Maxtor external is 227 so the enclosure is costing you 105 in that case. Still not too far off your linked 75/80 however and I can vouch for these Maxtors as being very nice myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Aldi have 160gb HD(samsung)for just over €100 i thinks, starts next thur

blorg wrote:

250gb Maxtor external = 249
    300gb Maxtor external = 279

Cheapest 250gb internal = 187, e.g. enclosure costing 62
    Cheapest 300gb internal = 233, e.g. enclosure costing 46

Of course this doesn't work too good for the 200gb with Komplett having a special on one of those at 122; the Maxtor external is 227 so the enclosure is costing you 105 in that case. Still not too far off your linked 75/80 however and I can vouch for these Maxtors as being very nice myself.

Thanks for the reply.
    If the €60 Zynet cases come back in I was thinking of going with that.
    Would work out at €192 for a 200GB drive inc. postage.
    I was thinking then that when I upgrade my computer I could put the 200GB drive in it where as with the Maxtor I couldn't.

I agree with you though the Maxtors are very good. I have a 250GB one for work and their performance & build quality are very good.

I just thought I'd have more versatility with the seperate Kompleet option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

cosgrove80 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply.
    If the €60 Zynet cases come back in I was thinking of going with that.
    Would work out at €192 for a 200GB drive inc. postage.
    I was thinking then that when I upgrade my computer I could put the 200GB drive in it where as with the Maxtor I couldn't.

I agree with you though the Maxtors are very good. I have a 250GB one for work and their performance & build quality are very good.

I just thought I'd have more versatility with the seperate Kompleet option.
    There's no reason that I know of that you couldn't open up one of the Maxtors, although it would void the warranty. I'm planning on doing this myself, swapping an internal 120gb drive with my external 250gb (both Maxtors). However, no point in spending extra money for a warranty-voiding solution I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Sorry to ask (Im clueless) but these cases let you add another HD but leave it externally? As in, no need to buy one of these if you plan to leave it on your desk and not carry it around?

I wanna keep music and photos off my laptops 30gig drive but have it beside the laptop with USB2.0 access. :eek:

• Advertisement

Bri wrote:
    Sorry to ask (Im clueless) but these cases let you add another HD but leave it externally? As in, no need to buy one of these if you plan to leave it on your desk and not carry it around?

Basically the Zynet cases etc. talked about above are the same as the the Maxtor you linked to but have no hardrive in them. You have to buy it seperately.

Your choices are:
    You can get a 160GB Maxtor. This will have the case and drive in the one unit.

Or you can get get (only an example) the case and the hard drive and just put the hard drive in the case.

Both will do the exact same thing except buying the case and drive seperatly might save you a bit of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Thanks for the explanation.

In theory your saving between 20-40 squid only I guess?

Advertisement