Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Very short but actually very funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did'nt like the use of music - suugests something blockbuster-ish which is not what HHGTTG should be.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Anyone got a mirror?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Tis down. Any mirrors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Official Site. No trailer, but the start page is funny.

• Advertisement

Ill have a mirror up in about 10 mins, uploading now...

Good man.

Here ya go:

Mirror 1

Mirror 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

/me shakes head sadly

YOU BLEW IT UP, DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL

oh wait, that was the other film.

this is going to suck, no two ways about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Envy

The only good book in that series is The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The others are fairly useless, but I assume they'll be made into films too?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Envy
    The only good book in that series is The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The others are fairly useless, but I assume they'll be made into films too?

Only if i does really really well. You've no idea how many times a HHGTTG film has tried to be made.

Originally posted by Envy

Thats a bit unfair they are on a slideing scale of amazing to WTF? staring with the frist book at "amazing" and ending with the last one at "WTF?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The film could be amazing! ...

... but i do think it's an extremely bad idea to put it in the hands of an amateur director.

The director Garth Jennings only previous directorial project was the video for Blur's 'Coffee & TV' (though i must say this was a great video!!). I'm sure everyone remembers that video with the milk carton.

Oh, and he designed the titles for 'Da Ali G Show' (not something to be too proud of)

But surely this film should have been put in more experienced hands!

(worth a mention: the film does have quite a cast though including Martin Freeman [Tim from The Office], John Malkovich, Sam Rockwell)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I seriously hope this film is good. I read the book first as a wee lad and it's had a profoundly positive impact on my life as a whole :D

Some of the choices they've made (like Mos Def) don't sound like the best, but from the interviews I've read with the directors and my knowledge of the MTV work, I'm actually quite optimistic.

And aparently the only real 'new' stuff in the film was thought up by Adams himself prior to his death. As Jim... said, they've been working on this for a LONG time.

And the first book isn't the only good one. The rest of them may not be as consistent (and they're a bit repetitive if you're reading them back-to-back I suppose), but there's some stuff in there that you just couldn't do without.

Downloading the trailer now. Hope it doesn't suck :dunno:
    (edit: The tagline sucks, the rest of it was OK. Not great though. A little too exciting)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by basquille
    The film could be amazing! ...

... but i do think it's an extremely bad idea to put it in the hands of an amateur director.

The director Garth Jennings only previous directorial project was the video for Blur's 'Coffee & TV' (though i must say this was a great video!!). I'm sure everyone remembers that video with the milk carton.

Oh, and he designed the titles for 'Da Ali G Show' (not something to be too proud of)

But surely this film should have been put in more experienced hands!
    And this, ladies and germs, is exactly why you shouldn't rely on the IMDB for all of your movie knowledge, especially when you start getting preachy. It makes you look dumb.

Garth Jennings is not an 'amateur' director - as part of Hammer and Tongs, he's been directing music videos and TV commercials (and short films) for way over ten years.

From his website (tongsville.com), here's a list of some of the things he's done that you might have seen:
    Music Videos
    Badly Drawn Boy, Disillusioned
    Badly Drawn Boy, Spitting In The Wind
    Beck, Lost Cause
    Blur, Coffee & TV
    B.R.A., Bentley Gonna Sort You Out
    B.R.A., Theme From Gutbuster
    David & McAlmont, Look At Yourself
    Del Amitri, Medicine
    Eels, Cancer For The Cure
    Eels, Last Stop This Town
    Fatboy Slim, Right Here Right Now
    Fatboy Slim & Macy Gray, Demons
    Lamb, B-Line
    Moloko, The Flipside
    Pulp, A Little Soul
    Pulp, Help The Aged
    R.E.M., Imitations of Life
    Supergrass, Keep On Moving
    Supergrass, Pumping Up Your Stereo
    Wannadies, Big Fan
    Wannadies, Hit
    Wannadies, Little By Little

TV Commercials:
    Ali G. Show, Titles
    BT, Broadband Rhino
    BT, Broadband 90 Seconds
    BT, Broadband Tekken
    ITV Digital, Minute Connection
    ITV Digital, Name Check
    ITV Digital, Sister's
    Milky Way, Zero G.
    Orange Mobile, 2 Line
    Orange Mobile, Beach
    Orange Mobile, Keith
    Orange Mobile, Tennis
    Orange Mobile, Paperclip

I think he was the perfect, most logical next step in the current trend of music video directors transitioning to the big screen (Spike Jones, Michel Gondry).

One of the things that perked me right up was these images of Marvin's costume. There's a video of Warwick Davis walking about in it here

More images and a vid here on the offical blog:

http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/hitchblog/blog.htm

I never ever imagined Marvin looking anything like that....but I think he looks pretty fucking cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Yea, Marvin's apperance took me by surprise too. Not unhappy with it though - and as far as I'm aware, it's the same voice actor as the radio serious. Which should be classic :)

"here I am, brain the size of a planet...."

Originally posted by ObeyGiant

I think he was the perfect, most logical next step in the current trend of music video directors transitioning to the big screen (Spike Jones, Michel Gondry).

The difference is Spike Jones and Michel Gondry took on relatively small projects for their first feature film.

Unlike Garth Jennings who is taking on an adaptation of, in my opinion, one of the greatest sci-fi novels of the 20th Century.

By the way, ObeyGiant, lighten the f*ck up! I don't appreciate being told i look dumb. Had never heard of Garth Jennings before he got signed on to the film and i looked up IMDB to get information on him (to which they had very little)

Preachy?! I was just stating my opinon and on the information i learned from IMDB (which made him look like an amateur director).

The difference is Spike Jones and Michel Gondry took on relatively small projects for their first feature film.
    Being the sort of person I am, I'd challenge this statement (although less so in the case of Human Nature). Being John Malkovitch was a very complex film, and could be described as a 'hard' sci-fi film. Not 'small' at all.

But this doesn't mean I don't see your point. I just think your concern is unfounded.

I think it was important that the director fo HHGTTG was:
    1. Visionary - able to do something original with the material
    2. British - to stay true to the novels
    3. Funny and Playful - again, to stay true to the novels

Who do you think would have been a better choice than Garth Jennings?
    Unlike Garth Jennings who is taking on an adaptation of, in my opinion, one of the greatest sci-fi novels of the 20th Century.
    Let's not get carried away here.

• Advertisement

By the way, ObeyGiant, lighten the f*ck up! I don't appreciate being told i look dumb. Had never heard of Garth Jennings before he got signed on to the film and i looked up IMDB to get information on him (to which they had very little)

Preachy?! I was just stating my opinon and on the information i learned from IMDB (which made him look like an amateur director).
    Whoops, missed your edit.

You were stating, as fact, that Garth Jennings "only previous directorial project was the video for Blur's 'Coffee & TV'". This was plain wrong, and since it was presented as fact, came across as preachy.

If it's any consolation, I did concede that it was IMDB that made you look dumb, and not that you were actually dumb :)

Originally posted by ObeyGiant

Who do you think would have been a better choice than Garth Jennings?

I, for one, would have loved to see Alex Proyas (of 'Dark City' and 'I, Robot' fame) take on the film.

In my opinion, a very underrated director!

Some of ye are happy with Garth Jennings directing it. Some are not so happy. If you had a choice, who would you want to direct it?

I, for one, would have loved to see Alex Proyas (of 'Dark City' and 'I, Robot' fame) take on the film.

In my opinion, a very underrated director!
    If his previous movies are anything to go on, it would have been the darkest, most beautiful, most loveless movie ever made.

Advertisement