Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

long haul flight tips

• 27-07-2004 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Get a good book. A Long one. Like "Shantaram" By Gregory David Roberts. Its Reeeaaaallly Long

Don't get drunk. You'll have a hangover like you wouldn't believe.

Stretch every now and again. (Not so easy when you're quite tall mind you). Keep the blood flowing in your legs (little movements like rotating ankles and what not).

I wish someone had told me this before I flew london to singapore, drinking beer, not moving at all in the chair and trying to read "needful things". I was a dribbling mess for about a week after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

yeah thats all good advise...

definitely stay away from the beer or alcohol...

Drink plenty of water and eat the meals... Every couple of hours go to the bathroom, even if you dont need to, just to keep the blood flowing and stretch a bit..

I know with most long haul flights now they give out 'flight-socks', which are good... just wear those with no shoes and you'll be fine... but for your sake and everybody else's, make sure you wash your feet before the flight.. :D I know singapore airlines give out these flight-socks... you can also buy them in pharmacies i think...

A blow-up neck rest is always a good idea if you want to do some sleeping... you can get away without using one, but its a bit more comfortable..

With most long-haul you will be crossing time-zones, so try and get your body clock in sync with the time at your destination...

A good book is always a must... something thats not too heavy... a good travel book.. micheal palin perhaps is always good flight reading...

Most airlines have good entertainment systems nowadays as well.... singapore airlines have a great entertainment system... i didnt need a book with them at all...

enjoy your flight...

were are you going by the way.. whats your route?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Darren

I've flown long haul a LOT.

I like a drink when I fly, especially on night flights. I don't get smashed but 3 or 4 glasses of wine help me kip but I make sure I drink plenty of water as well.

A good pair on earphones with a nice long lead are great. Nothing worse than trying to watch a film with distorting airline earphones.

A wooly fleece jumper is nice as it can get cold in the cabin.

Definitely agree with the inflatable cushion.

I' personally don't bother with the socks as I have quite big feet and find the restrictive.

A gameboy advance is my favourite travel item, I take it everywhere.

I used to read books on flights but nowadays have mastered the art of vegging.

Triband Mobile phone for emergencies and texting abroad is pretty reasonable.

I know it sounds simple but 3 or 4 pens are really useful especially for filling out landing cards/visa waivers etc. There's nothing worse than trying to borrow a pen off someone to fill out those forms.

BTW in the last 12 months I have flown

LHR-JFK-LHR 3 times
    LHR-SIN-MEL-CNS-SYD-BKK-LHR
    LHR-HKG-LHR
    LGW-MCO-LGW
    and numerous euro flights

and have learnt through experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Can I have some of your airmiles? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Sleeping tablet, take it when the time where you're going is the time you'd normally go asleep.

Drink a lot of water

Get an eyemask

Get earplugs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 twooms

most airlines will not give you "hot-cups" now for health/legal reasons.....no matter how hard you beg...so its a good idea to bring two plastic drink cups and make your own in the plane toilet...or else ask them for two hot drinks cups on-board..but if they realise what you want them for ...they'll take them away..boo hoo...its very painful to find out mile-high

Advertisement