Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel like a rant?

Options
  • 27-07-2004 4:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

RTE have been on asking if we know of anyone who's had trouble getting internet access in Ireland. Our answer: Plenty. So who's willing to talk to them? I need extreme stories here, like the day Eircom made you cry on the telephone, and ComReg drove you to drink. Stories with accompanying pictures of crusty copper and potty pairgains win extra bonus points!

Don't be shy now, and get your skates on!

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Don't be shy now, and get your skates on!
    I vote this a Very Good Idea
    (potentially and hopefully)

As Adam implies above, this isn't the ultimate outlet for a whinge about Company X or Y (particularly company X). I'm going to make a presumption that this is where he's going, so a willingness to talk to RTE is pretty much a must if you're going to post your justified whinge. I like the idea of being able to furnish RTE with a list of people willing to tell their horror stories.

I live in the city so apart from the typical complaint about Esat's billing department (no longer a problem since I left their billing department behind after going to another company) and Eircom taking a month to install a line four years ago, I've got nothing good enough

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I've got plenty to give out about but I'm in bad shape for travelling atm, what with the AGM this month, London next month and the EGM the month after. We're trying to get Elana on the show instead of me - much better looking and she can rant with the best of 'em - but of course I'll go if necessary.

C'mon folks, you won't get an opportunity like this again. Don't let us down!!!

adam /prepares his contingency "hello mum" poster

PS. Elana, make sure you wear the Buck Fush badge somewhere discreet! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

//

RTE have been on asking if we know of anyone who's had trouble getting internet access in Ireland. Our answer: Plenty.

//

So who do we talk to then:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What programme is covering this?

Check RTE Radio one from 7.30pm this eveing for Future Shock
    which is covering BB in Ireland. Should be fun.....:dunno:

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Don't know the details yet Mike, I'll pass them on when I get them. It's later in the week anyway, late night news show.

Is someone running a book on Eircom turning up if Elana's in studio? :)

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ekehoe

Originally posted by bealtine
    //
    So who do we talk to then:)

Me. Now. I have the woman's number, and she needs some names.

E

Originally posted by mike65

Network 2 news tomorrow night, or the night after, if she has problems getting folks.

E

Originally posted by dahamsta
    RTE have been on asking if we know of anyone who's had trouble getting internet access in Ireland.

If there's anyone in Dublin who would be available tomrrow afternoon, please let me know...that's exactly who we should be looking for.

I'm also wishing that Paul could hop a train and come over for this...

E

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Originally posted by mike65

Check RTE Radio one from 7.30pm this eveing for Future Shock
    which is covering BB in Ireland. Should be fun.....:dunno:

Mike.

yeah, that was great, "what is broadband ?" ... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

//
    If there's anyone in Dublin who would be available tomrrow afternoon, please let me know...that's exactly who we should be looking for.
    //

I might be available tomorrow, depending on how things go...

Also, I live near a broadband enabled exchange and can't get broadband due to the
    crap cooper hotch potch that eircom have supplied...

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by ekehoe
    I'm also wishing that Paul could hop a train and come over for this...
    Who, me? Tomorrow, not a hope. Thursday: hmm, maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I'm very interested in this, can someone record it and stick it on line? I'm out of the country at the moment.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

damn pity you cant ring in id be more than happy to spill my guts over the phone to a person willing to listen to my entire sad story

Shin

<
    Ok now thats quite strange whys my sig been changed to bond 007

Im shinzon

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Cookies?

Last person to use the computer was bond-007?

Or maybe............you are 007 dum dum dummmmmmm

:)

Originally posted by bealtine
    //
    //

I might be available tomorrow, depending on how things go...

Also, I live near a broadband enabled exchange and can't get broadband due to the
    crap cooper hotch potch that eircom have supplied...

Please ring me...my mobile is out there if you google for me and IrelandOffline (one of the old press releases).

I need to give her names and numbers...

Originally posted by Bond-007
    <
    Ok now thats quite strange whys my sig been changed to bond 007

Im shinzon

Shin

You are obivously in AOL!! Please Identify yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I could have offered my story of ringing eircom every week for 4 weeks in a row to be told each time I'd "never be able to get DSL" on my line. So much so that an operator agreed with me that "never" was a strong term to use, but she didn't know the reason.

On the 5th week I ring ESat to enquire about my line being unbundled, and they said that their provisional test showed I could get their DSL, but that they'd have to check with eircom. They did, and rang me back mid way through the 5th week. All was OK. So I asked for the forms to be sent out. The only draw back was a 3 month waiting list (yes, 3 months).

2 or 3 hours later eircom rang me to thank me for my enquiry and they were happy to "confirm" my line was suitable, so I applied there and then. That person had no idea why I was told "never". That was around Christmas, so it was installed the first week in Jan. I rang the 2nd week (and about 4 or 5 times since) and have been told all bar once that I will never be able to get DSL. Each time I've advised I have it, and that the misinformation might point to a bigger problem. To which I've been fobbed off with something like "thank you. we'll let the engineers know".. the online test seems to be completely random ast to whether or not my line is suitable.

The story is old though (1.5 years), and not very beefy other than eircom being typically stupid, and ESat about as interested in competing as my last Cadbury's Mini Roll.

Maybe someone with a story of "Open status" on DSL application/transfer would make a better argument?

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

Any update on when the show is going to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Is there anyone who gets really slow internet dialup speeds, and can't get anything done about it because of the Kafkaesque refusal of ComReg to define "Functional Internet Access", so that eircom can claim that they only have to support voice connections, even though the USO specifically says that they have to support a notional (and undefined) Functional Internet Access?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Is there anyone who gets really slow internet dialup speeds, and can't get anything done about it because of the Kafkaesque refusal of ComReg to define "Functional Internet Access", so that eircom can claim that they only have to support voice connections, even though the USO specifically says that they have to support a notional (and undefined) Functional Internet Access?

Everytime I go home I have to put up with 9.6- 12Kbps .. twice since Christmas I've got up to 16K. Shortly after Christmas it went down to 2.something, so I rang eircom to see what they'd say )already knowing about the wonderful USO), and before I finished my sentence she cut me off saying they were only obliged to provide a voice service on my line. She then went on (in such a way which made me feel like I should fell I'm lucky to have a phone line at all!) to suggest ISDN .. great said I "can I get it?" (knowing full well I couldn't), "oh no, sorry I couldn't be of more help", and hung up straight away.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Watty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by cgarvey
    Everytime I go home I have to put up with 9.6- 12Kbps .. twice since Christmas I've got up to 16K. Shortly after Christmas it went down to 2.something, so I rang eircom to see what they'd say )already knowing about the wonderful USO), and before I finished my sentence she cut me off saying they were only obliged to provide a voice service on my line. She then went on (in such a way which made me feel like I should fell I'm lucky to have a phone line at all!) to suggest ISDN .. great said I "can I get it?" (knowing full well I couldn't), "oh no, sorry I couldn't be of more help", and hung up straight away.

.cg
    Write this up and send it to Elana and see if it would be of interest to RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I'm on for giving my sob story about not being able to get DSL even though the people across the road can.

Would one have to go to Donnybrook?

Damien.

Write this up and send it to Elana and see if it would be of interest to RTE.

Too late, presumably, but emailed to her IoffL address anyway.

.cg

Too late, presumably, but emailed to her IoffL address anyway.

Which bounced... (tried elana at ioffl .org/net .. where ioffl=irelandoffline .. beat that harvesters!!)

Surely this address should be on IoffL website? If "members" can't contact, how does media/interested parties!!

So I've tried zen.org address which doesn't seemed to have bounced yet.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭eoinm1

Originally posted by Glenn
    Watty?

You right Glenn
    Watty has been off line for a while now due to his crappy network connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

That one should be fine - zen.org is Brendan's (and Elana's) own domain AFAIK.

Which bounced... (tried elana at ioffl .org/net .. where ioffl=irelandoffline .. beat that harvesters!!)

I don't think I've had an Ioffl email in a long time...most folk just get me at zen.

Got it, and have just passed your info on to RTE. Thanks!

• Advertisement

RTE needs people who STILL don't have broadband....anyone out there? Please let me know!!!

Get me at zen, or ring my mobile: 087 699 7371

Advertisement