Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Recommendation Thread?

Options
  • 27-07-2004 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

Since I'm probably not going to be the last person to have a query on a particular bike, maybe this should be stickied so others can get recommendations on their bikes?

Anyway, the one I'm considering at the moment is a Claud Butler Legend. It seems pretty light thanks to the aluminium frame, has a fairly sturdy carrier for panniers and felt comfortable enough to ride. I'm planning on taking a cycle trip, touring around France latter this year and am wondering if a bike like this can stand up to the stresses of the extra weight and usage? Any personal opinions on them, other similar bikes or places to get them cheap would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Personally I would go for a Trek FX series above the Claud Butler. I've had three of these (2x 7200FX, 1x 7300FX) and found them ideal for touring; they are light aluminium but sturdy enough to load up with panniers (and a tent). I've now got a Specialized Sirrus which is lighter/faster but probably not quite so good with the panniers.

It's only anecdotal but the one person I know who does have a Claud Butler hybrid does not like it at all and has had a reasonable share of maintenance issues. Having said that, if you do go for it, I'm sure the extra weight would not be a problem for it.

Also - try to avoid the front suspension and get a rigid fork option if possible. It will be cheaper, the suspension forks you get on these hybrids are not very good, also they are heavy, extra maintenance and will soak up your pedalling energy. You don't need them on the road in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Thanks for the advice, after hearing something similar from a friend I decided that the Butler wasn't the way to go. He said similar things about the suspension and weight would only serve to slow me down. I'm currently getting the lend of a Specialized Crossroads which I'm liking very much, it's light but yet sturdy, think I might just make an offer on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

A Specialized Crossroads would be a very good option for what you want to do. It's light but sturdy enough for panniers, more so than the Sirrus. Most important thing is that you try the bike out and like it.

The only other thing that you have to take into consideration is to make sure that the bike is the right size - there should be about 1" of clearance when you are standing over the top tube, and you should be able to position the saddle so that your leg is just very slightly bent when the pedal is down (the ball of your foot should be above the pedal axle for optimum pedalling.)

Many people cycle with the saddle too low, which is not very efficient. Of course don't put the saddle up above the max line marked on the seatpost.

I'd also recommend fitting clips on the pedals, it makes a big difference. These only cost a few euros from a bike shop, and if you get low profile ones you can still pedal on the other side of the pedal if you are wearing good shoes (watch out on corners however).

Advertisement