Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First time driver

Options
  • 27-07-2004 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've just recently learned to drive and I have very limited knowledge about cars. I don't know different makes/models, I don't know what cars are better insurance deals and so forth, and I was wondering if anyone out there could give me a hand? Even if there are some good car-buying FAQ pages on the web, I'd be happily pointed towards them.

I just need a nice little car to get me to work and back - something that doesn't eat too much petrol, and is easily maintained.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

VW polo is your safest bet. was my first car! dosent like petrol stations and it was great (fantastic even) around the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

A smaller engine will cost you less in tax and insurance. Lots of the newer cars are 1200cc+ whereas pre 2000 you can get a lot of cars with 999cc engines. Do get something with power steering. Its not worth not having it. All the well known makes are decent. Japanese cars generally more reliable, and more economic fule wise, but less posh. Polo, Micra, Yaris, Fabia, Fiesta.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Ooh, thank you so much!

I have been reluctant lately to look at my bank balance, but from what I hear, banks are willing to throw loans at anyone, right? As for the loan itself - what's the norm? 3 years? 5 years?

Now, what's my best option.. a 3 or 4 year old car, or a brand new car? Because my insurance and road tax are based on the type of car I have, aren't they?

I'm sorry for posing so many questions, and I am embarrassed to be asking them all! Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

As for the loan itself - what's the norm? 3 years? 5 years?
    Well this really does depend on how big you want your repayments to be. Which in turn depends on your monthly/weekly expenses. Best option I've seen so far is, join the credit union. Take a loan with them. They dont charge you extra if you wanted to pay your loan off quicker. Banks do charge for that.
    Now, what's my best option.. a 3 or 4 year old car, or a brand new car?

Cost wise a second hand model will be cheaper however I suggest you find (or hire) someone to look at the car with you, simply because it could have problems that need to be fixed. So it's worth looking around and taking your time to decide.
    After you see a car you like and before you buy it ring around the various insurance companies to see what quotes you get. Whats the point in having a car you can't afford to be insured on? Remember ring as many companies as you can, you'd be surprised how much that can save you!

The Car Buyers Guide magazine always has some great information on the first few pages including a very good check list of things to check.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

loan repayment periods are based on what you take out and how well you are able to repay the loan

WRT insurance - get a cup of coffee and the golden pages and ring as many companys and brokers as you can.

Motor Tax Rates - as you will see smaller engined cars are quite cheaper to tax annually than larger ones

Petrol is generally less of a budgetary problem with smaller engines (the smaller the better usually)

If you get a brand new car you will suffer higher depreciation than a 3 or 4 year old car. That is, when you go to sell in say three years, you won't have lost as much on an older car. Personally, I will never buy a new car in this country as I like my money too much to throw it away (and newer cars are generally ugly!).

Finally, don't be embarrased about asking questions - that is what the forum is for and we all have to learn at some stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Another nice trick that I found with regard to ringing insurnace companies was to 'pit them against eachother'.
    I went back and forth between 2 insurance companies saying that the other had given me a better quote. Between the two, the quote dropped nearly 200 Euros! It went so close that the winning company undercut the previous quote by 2 euro! :D

Was funny at the time, but it was an extra 200 quid in my back pocket.

To sum up: -
    Always use the "is that the best you can do?" line (Particularly with brokers). You've nothing to lose by asking.

DC.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by dcGT
    To sum up: -
    Always use the "is that the best you can do?" line (Particularly with brokers). You've nothing to lose by asking.

DC.
    I can confirm this just from my own broker (the AA). Over the last number of years I have managed to reduce the charge for my motor insurance, my wifes car insurance and recently our home insurance by at least €100 (Im now currently paying €600 on a 1997 5 series). They usually initially offer you a quote which is not the cheapest policy (and often v. similar to the unquoted cheaper policy). This also applies to renewals - they offer you a price to renew your existing policy but don't offer you prices for taking out a new policy (which in my experience, come out cheaper).
    [Before anyone asks, I compare the excess and coverage, etc. on all policies!]

If you are looking at 2nd hand cars get someone who really knows what they are talking about. Not someone who thinks they know. IF in doubt the AA can to a check for you that costs about €200. They do a really detailed check on a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Originally posted by dcGT
    I went back and forth between 2 insurance companies saying that the other had given me a better quote. Between the two, the quote dropped nearly 200 Euros! It went so close that the winning company undercut the previous quote by 2 euro! :D ...

Did insurance company B require any proof that company A actually offered a lower quote, can they even tell? or did you just make up figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Nope, they didn't require proof...they just took my word for it (I wasn't making up figures either)....of course they could always turn around and say "I'm sorry we can't match that" ... which one of them had to say in the end...But the bottom line is, they have a 'cushion' built into the quote and they can often go below their initial quote.

Haggle with everything :D

DC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

A VW Polo was suggested, but if you want to spend a bit less yet still get more or less the same car I would go for a Seat Ibiza. They are both share the same engine, just the Polo has a fancy VW badge. I do believe they come in 1L. Also, a Polo does not come with Power Steering as standard, but the Ibiza does.
    It was my first car - I managed to pick up a 4-year old car for 5K, and am very happy with it...

Originally posted by fwk
    A VW Polo was suggested, but if you want to spend a bit less yet still get more or less the same car I would go for a Seat Ibiza. They are both share the same engine, just the Polo has a fancy VW badge. I do believe they come in 1L. Also, a Polo does not come with Power Steering as standard, but the Ibiza does.
    It was my first car - I managed to pick up a 4-year old car for 5K, and am very happy with it...

Its not just the badge the interior is very different too. Besides theres not a huge difference in price between a VW and SEAT anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,387 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by fwk
    A VW Polo was suggested, but if you want to spend a bit less yet still get more or less the same car I would go for a Seat Ibiza. They are both share the same engine, just the Polo has a fancy VW badge.

Or their triplet sister, the Skoda Fabia. When it came out it was generally considered the best car in it's class and one of the cheaper ones at that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

my first car was an opel corsa.. it was brilliant.. when i changed it i felt like i was always pullin into petrol stations :(

Advertisement