Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

barton 57C, stock speed

Options
  • 27-07-2004 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭

please note same thread in computers, i meant it to put here

whats up with my barton 2500?? its at 57C, stock fsb and voltage. motherboard ( a7v8x ) is at 29C. ive got a non standard heatsink, not sure what model cause cant review order history with komplett.
    why is it so hot?
    ive got another machine next to this one, it's a palamino 2100, and it's only 53C, palamino should be the hot one!

thats not right, do i need a proper copper heatsink and let it swim in thermal paste or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭freekhead

stevenk its an amd you have which are good for frying eggs lol...........

komplett dont have a great range of super cool heat sinks.

did you try opening the case for a while and see if the temps go down..

you only need a little thermal grease its not the grease that cools the processor its jus there to form a contact between the processor and sink.

If you want a super cool cpu but dont wana go down the water cooling way try a thermalright with a tornado fan my temps are as good as any water cooler with no maintainance
    overclock 22digrees but sometimes 29digrees while video editing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

steve is that temperature under load or an idle temperature? if its idle i'd start to worry!

Did you use thermal paste when installing the heatsink, or one of the crappy sticky-pad things that tends to come with them? I had a Spire heatsink (given with many of the komplett upgrade bundles) on my XP2800+ barton, used to get fairly hot (upper 50s under load) - replaced it with a "glacial tech" one from komplett, never goes above 55 degrees under any circumstances now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

idle temp, im gonna turn it off now in a while, and blow the whole machine out with air, then im gonna pull off the heatsink and see whats goin on with the paste, you know see what way it moulded to the cpu and heatsink

ok the cooler looks something like this except for i remember paying more for it :D
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=119824&cks=PRL

i only remembering now that ive taken it off, there was some grey crap on the heatsink when i got it, i didnt know what it was so i left it there. should i wipe this gik off or leave it there?

ok gave the whole machine a good blow out with a compressor, took the heatsink off, took a look at how it squeezed the thermal paste and where. put it back onto the chip, except this time i gave it a little wiggle, kinda twisted from side to side by mm or two. i figured it would maybe seat itself better and reduce the film of paste between the die and the copper. anyways, asus utility is reporting 47C, and sandra is reporting 48C. hopefully it stays that way. i dont the small amount of dust i blew was the problem, so maybe it was the way it was seated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement